Homeschooling/Unschooling and Structure - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-05-2005, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be homeschooling/unschooling all of my children. The problem is that I have severe attention problems. I am having difficulty balancing unschooling ideals with my need for structure (which I suck at setting up, but that is another thread )

I will leterally forget to fo things if I do not have a list or do things the same everyday. Does this go against the whole idea of homeschooling/unschooling?

I feel like I won't be a good teacher because my brain is on turbo speed!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#2 of 10 Old 05-05-2005, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
I will leterally forget to fo things if I do not have a list or do things the same everyday. Does this go against the whole idea of homeschooling/unschooling?
This is me. I ALWAYS have a list of things I want to do for the day. Sometimes, they get done, sometimes not, sometimes they get pushed to the next day, but it helps for me to have a list--especially when there are places we need to be at a certain time!!

I don't find that my list-making gets in the way of unschooling though. It actually helps with it, because otherwise I might forget to follow up on a kid's question or request.

I'd like to say that my brain is just too busy contemplating the larger questions in life, to remember to do the laundry, but...well...it's possible that I may just be forgetful.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#3 of 10 Old 05-05-2005, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan

I'd like to say that my brain is just too busy contemplating the larger questions in life, to remember to do the laundry, but...well...it's possible that I may just be forgetful.
:

Thank you. Right now I have a lot of people around me who are predicting defeat when it comes to my ability to hs/us. It drives me batty, but sometimes I wonder if they have a point.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#4 of 10 Old 05-05-2005, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
. Right now I have a lot of people around me who are predicting defeat when it comes to my ability to hs/us. It drives me batty, but sometimes I wonder if they have a point.
Oh, GOSH! There will ALWAYS be people like that--even if this wasn't an issue for you, it would be something else--you don't have a HS diploma, or you don't have a college degree, or your degree is in the "wrong" area, or you don't have a teaching certificate, or you have too many children, or you only have one child, or you live in the country, or you don't live in the country....etc. etc.

Listen to YOURSELF, and to your own heart.

"You can't please everyone, so you've...got to please yourself...la da da..."

(Either you're too young to recognize that song, or I've now planted it in your head and you won't be able to stop singing it for days.... :LOL )

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#5 of 10 Old 05-05-2005, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Joan! You made me !!!

#6 of 10 Old 05-05-2005, 10:45 PM

I make lists and have daily and weekly routines and homeschooling works GREAT for us. We aren't unschoolers, though. We tried it for awhile and my kids just fought with each other. We are relaxed homeschoolers.

The important thing is to figure out what works for you and for your kids. It doesn't have to be the same way that anyone else homeschools, or fit neatly into a set style of homeschooling. It just has to work for your family, and you get to keep tweeking to make it fit better.
#7 of 10 Old 05-06-2005, 12:06 AM

I don't see lists as oppositional to unschooling if they work for you as a reminder of what you'd wanted to get done, etc. When I am working on an art piece I tend to get a little "in the zone" and I space other things so a list works great then for me too.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#8 of 10 Old 05-06-2005, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you mamas for your input!

#9 of 10 Old 05-06-2005, 04:07 PM

Fellow ADD mama here. I've been at it for 10+ years and have run the gamut from school-at-home curriculumn to unschooling to whatever in between. It may take a while to find what works, but just do the best routine for you and don;t worry what people call it.
#10 of 10 Old 05-09-2005, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalandrea
Fellow ADD mama here. I've been at it for 10+ years and have run the gamut from school-at-home curriculumn to unschooling to whatever in between. It may take a while to find what works, but just do the best routine for you and don;t worry what people call it.
Thank you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page