Is Homeschooling/Unschooling *only* for those that Stay at Home? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-21-2005, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Kim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious to see how others out there handle working pt/ft *and* homeschooling or unschooling.

If you are "working" (ykwim -- parents all work regardless of our employment status), do you work at home or outside the home?
#2 of 8 Old 05-21-2005, 09:47 PM

I've been providing pt childcare out of my home about 15 hours per week, and it has been great. Several people in my hs group work pt outside of the home and while they've had to juggle to get some extra rest, it seems to have worked well for them.
#3 of 8 Old 05-22-2005, 10:41 AM

I work at home (somewhat) since my hubby and I have a computer consulting company. He goes and does the actual work, I do everything else (mostly secretarial). At one time, I also had a mail-order business with a small retail outlet in the basement.

I fit it in around whatever the kids are doing, and I got them to do most of their work independantly.
#4 of 8 Old 05-22-2005, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hello All!

I homeschooled most effectively and exclusively my DS3 when I worked full time and went back to graduate school. My DH was a househusband at the time - or is it SAHF?, - and it worked well for both of us. I used to take him to class or work with me whenever possible. My DH always took him to the park or library or museum. Our DS3 got the best of both of us! Lucky kid!

My DH died, otherwise I would still be homeschooling him now in seventh grade.

I wish I was since now, as a widow, I have to contend with a teenage boy alone and with peer pressure alone,

The peer pressure is awful, even if the peers are in a private religious school.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#5 of 8 Old 05-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Dar

The majority of the unschooling families I've know have had both parents (or 2 out of three parents, if they were poly, or one parent if it was a one parent family) working for pay. Most often, one parent would work fulltime outside the home, and the other would have some sort of flexible part-time job, often something that could be done from home or with the kids. I've known many variations, though.

I'm a single parent so I've always worked, but the details have varied a lot.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#6 of 8 Old 05-23-2005, 12:51 PM

I work FT outside of the home and my husband is a SAHD. Our daughter is still preschool age and we are taking an unschooling approach- so we don’t really have any formal lessons and don’t plan on it for a while. DH is going to be responsible for tracking her learning and keeping the paperwork when she is the age for compulsory schooling. Our DD does sometimes cultivate nearly obsessive interests and so we provide support to her in the form of finding books, materials, and other experiences to satisfy her curiosity. We engage in these explorations as a family for the most part, but since she is the type of person who is more focused in the mornings- and I am out of the house 5 mornings a week I don’t get to explore with her as much as I would like. DH has recently joined a couple of homeschooling groups and since those meet during weekdays I also am not involved in that. Clearly, when all the factors are examined- even with an unschooling approach- the at-home parent takes on the major burden of the homeschooling (at least in our house). I do what I can and wish I could be more involved. I would appreciate any suggestions others might have on this.
#7 of 8 Old 05-24-2005, 01:42 AM

I work part-time childcare at the local rec center, so I get to take the kids with me and we all hang out together. It's a really nice facility, and I get a free gym membership and childcare along with a paycheck. I wish I could take thsi job with me when I move...
#8 of 8 Old 05-24-2005, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
Kim

Thank you so much for all of your responses.

My children are very young, so this may not be an issue yet. But, my dh has made comments like, "Won't it be great when the kids are in school so that we can..." or "Having your days free when the kids are in school...".

I am a web designer in my free time, which can be very flexible, but I do need blocks of time to myself to research and work. Homeschooling seems like a very natural progression to the next stage, but the selfish me is right there with my dh in thinking about all of this "free time".

I guess I'm trying to sort this all out in my head. I've never had to find child care for my children on a regular basis. At what age am I finally allowed consistent "me time"? If I choose to homeschool and WAHM, how do I line up child care when all the other school-age kids are in school?

Random, early morning thoughts...Thanks for listening!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page