Questions for homeschooling/unschooling mommies (and daddies too)! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2005, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering how many of you were/are public or private school teachers prior to homeschooling dc? How many of you are single parents? What led you to homeschooling or unschooling?

Just wondering because I am both. I would love to homeschool or even unschool DD when she gets older (She is 2), but I am not sure how I could do it finantially or even do it well - I love my child, but I teach middle school because in general I just prefer older kids. Anyone want to share ideas/thoughts/experiences with a mom who likes to think and plan big, even though she may not be able to follow through?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005, 01:49 AM

I taught at a private school for a few years, and I was/am a single mom (not really anymore we just moved in with my boyfriend this month which is very different from all alone and, also very different from a couple with their own kids).

Being a stay at home single mom was a real challenge, but I couldn't have left my children then either, I would have still been poor and even more rushed and stressed.

I think working at the private school was what really opened my eyes to the differences available in education. There were things I really loved there- the classes were small, 10-12 students of all ages 5 to 12 years old, so of course every one had an idividual lesson plan, which they contracted with the teacher for at the beginning of the day or (week for older children), signed and were responsible for, when their lessons were done so were they, even if it was only Thursday! And there were things I hated- it was a totally behavioral school, Skinner would have been proud! With all of the feeling that we could cram into them what ever we wanted and ignore what we didn't (like sad or angry emotions) and it would go away.

At that point what I really wanted to do was open my own school. I quit when I was pregnant with my first and went back to school for education and business. I had another kid. I realized I didn't really want to spend my days teaching others children (while mostly training teachers, dealing with parents, and putting in long hours trying to run a business) I just wanted to be with my own children. So now we are homeschoolers. Although I don't really consider us homeschoolers until my oldest is at least 6, because I don't like the feeling that 3 or 4 year olds have to be schooled somewhere, not that things will suddenly change the day after his birthday.

I'll stop rambling here!
Old 05-26-2005, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I taught preschool and in a private kindergarten for some time before homeschooling. I got a real distaste for most of the programs I worked in I ended up unschooling and being an at home mom for a variety of reasons. I sometimes think about getting back into ECE but I am just not sure at this point.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 05-26-2005, 02:54 AM

I come from a long line of teachers; my grandma, my mom, my sister and me. I taught college physics though, so I don't think it's the same as elementary or secondary schools, as most of my students were older than me, and actually WANTED to be there.

I'm a homeschooling mom, mostly for philosophical reasons. After doing teacher training classes in college and being subjective to mass education as a child (both public and private) - I wanted something different for my own. Hubby and I actually started discussing homeschool, when I was 5 months pregnant with our first child. Learning in freedom (unschooling) is wonderful and that's how I learned most of my stuff too (after school, on weekends, etc). I wouldn't say we are unschoolers - just relaxed homeschoolers. We combine Charlotte Mason, The Well Trained Mind, Sonlight, and our own stuff!

After seeing my oldest learn to read at 5, my 3 year old learn to add, I'm a HUGE fan of homeschooling and the freedom to learn without having useless information shoved into your head only to be spit back up for a test. Children are smarter than most people give them credit for. They are wonderful observers and excellent at pointing out discrepancies.

I know a single mom who homeschooled. Her mom (grandma) watched the daughter during her work hours (the evening shift) and they did school work, etc during the morning.

Read all you can, talk to a local homeschool group, etc before you make your decision. Homeschooling doesn't take HOURS of your time, or even cost a lot, especially if you have a great library near by. Mass education takes the majority of day, but homeschooling doesn't. Most of our "seat work" is done in 2 hours (my oldest would be in 1st grade if we did grades). Most of her learning is done by experiences, play and observing.

Don't underestimate yourself or your child. Teaching them at home started with nursing/feeding, learning to walk and talk, etc.

Cara

User Tag List