homeschool curriculum fair?? unschooling? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-14-2005, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious if anyone has any idea if I might find anything helpful or interesting in attending a homeschool curriculum fair. My homeschooling philosophy mostly falls in line with unschooling, and I don't do worksheets or sit-down type forced work assignments. DD1 is only four but is also very bright for her age and already learning to read (according to most sources, she's on about 2nd grade level for many academic type subjects, but right on target for her age group in other areas).

so... do you think it would be worth the $6 to go? http://www.csthea.org/event_cf.html Would it be worth it just to see what other homeschoolers are doing? Would there be anything there useful to my unschooling-ish approach? I might add that I realize there's a big Christian emphasis at this particular fair, and we are not Christian, either.
#2 of 7 Old 07-14-2005, 10:51 PM

Would you be going with your child? that seems like a big pain and you are not likely to find enough stuff that it would be worth the money and the stress. but if you could take a few hours and just browse and enjoy it you might be able to find some good stuff and good ideas.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 7 Old 07-14-2005, 11:38 PM

If I had to take my 4 year old I wouldn't go. For her age group she would be a hinderence for any idea gathering. You might find products you would/could decide to consider later. You are going to learn your options.

When they get older you can take them and let him help you find things they want or ideas for things to research.
#4 of 7 Old 07-14-2005, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

No, I think if I went, it would be best to leave the kids at home with Daddy. DH seems to think it's a good idea, just to see what everyone else is doing (he isn't sold on the unschooling idea...yet) and to weigh my options for later on.
#5 of 7 Old 07-15-2005, 01:46 AM

well if nothing else grab a good cup of coffee and enjoy the day off We had some great stuff at ours that would have a ppealed. A traveling used book store who only sold "living books". I had the prioveledge of helping her set up and getting a pre-browse and guided tour of what my dd might like. There were also at least three other vedors seling really cool books including DK and Usborn which is always fun to browse. There have been people selling music curriculum, people offering classes and tutoring (and you never know who you might need and for what. it is good to know what your resourses are should you child need special help or want to learn something you just haven't got a clue about). So yeah, take your time, enjoy it you won't be forced to buy anything or even listen to sales pitches.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 7 Old 07-15-2005, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
At the last one I went to 90% of the stuff I wouldn't use (and we aren't unschoolers!) but I found some really cool things I wouldn't have found otherwise. There was a booth selling hands on history stuff and I got each of my DD's a handheld loom. I also found kits to make leaf presses (which were a big hit) and some super non-fiction books. I also got resources on making graphic organizers and had a nice chat with a woman about ways include them in different activities. It was worth the time and the money for me.

I also think it is interesting to see different things that I hear mentioned on the boards but don't have any intention of using. So many people use Math U See that I spent some time looking at even though we use something else that works well for us. It wouldn't be worth the time or money for me just for that, but it is a nice little side benefit.

I wouldn't take a child (the kids would be bored to tears and you wouldn't be able to really look around). I would brace yourself because some of what you see will be a depressing.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#7 of 7 Old 07-18-2005, 03:37 AM

If your philosophy mostly falls in line with unschooling, I would wait for an unschooling conference and go to that. There is some fantastic unschooling conferences that happen across America. (assuming your in the US?)

Check out the HEM Home Education Magazine to get the latest info on conferences. You may have to travel a bit but it is well worth it.

http://www.homeedmag.com/index.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page