Child care and unschooling advice wanted. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-06-2003, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The job I want is being advertised in this week's local paper. So, I'm not done school until August and I have no idea if I'll even get it but I'm tossing my resume out there anyway.

Here's the catch. I'm the sole parent to 2 girls, ages 4 years and 18 months. I plan to unschool, though may end up doing homeschool. We'll see how we all evolve. But, more importantly, in order to do this while working, I need to get someone who (for lack of a better phrase) kicks ass! to look after my girls while I'm at work.

My question for all you kick-ass parents on here is what questions would you ask a prospective child care provider who will be watching your unschooled/homeschooled children?

(The job is only 4 days/week and the pay and benefits rock!!! This also means that I can afford to pay someone to come to my home and my sister is on maternity leave so she will be around too to help the girls adjust and to give them some family support (she lived with us until September when she got married and bought a house so she's really close to my dds). I figure this also gives them the same ratio of care instead of putting them in daycare where they are with so many other kids and they'll still be on their turf.)

Thanks in advance!!!
#2 of 10 Old 03-06-2003, 12:44 PM

My best advice is to check with your local La Leche League group, homeschooling support group, or homebirth group. You will probably find mamas there that have similar ideas about raising children as you do. Often SAHMs are looking to supplement their income by caring for someone else's children, so perhaps you can make a match that will help out you and the other mom as well.

#3 of 10 Old 04-09-2003, 03:52 AM

One of the hardst things to do is find a "soul mate", someone with the same instinctive understanding as you. Someone who knows you well.

Your mum for example. Not possible?

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#4 of 10 Old 04-09-2003, 02:16 PM

You also might try looking for a nanny in child development programs at a university or junior college near you. Often, child development programs are very, well, development oriented, rather than curriculum oriented. Make it clear that you do not want them to introduce curriculum (unless your dc ask for it, of course), and find out how they feel about it.

I think younger students like these would be pretty open to the concept of unschooling/child-led learning if you explained it to them.

Good Luck!

Laura
#5 of 10 Old 04-16-2003, 08:57 AM

I would be more inclined to hire a nanny through a child development service. I have a friend who doesn't have children and she is by far the best child care provider I've ever encountered. In fact both of the women I would consider for the job of nanny would totally rock as mothers but haven't taken that plunge yet.
When I was supplementing our income by watching a little boy dd's age, I have to admit, I was more concerned with dd's experience than with the boy's. Due in part to a poor fit in parenting styles between his parents and me (they were Ezzo fashioned), but also in part due to the fact that dd is mine. I found it difficult to be impartial. I recognized that and decided to terminate my employment. I am a very fair-minded person, so I shudder to think what others do when the parents are away.
#6 of 10 Old 04-17-2003, 01:39 PM

I agree, mothernature. I would think any mother would be more concerned about her own child, than someone elses. That's just how mothers (and many fathers) are wired. I would wonder about someone who wasn't.
That said, I think there are many mothers who can watch other children alongside there one and everything works out fine. It usualy depends on how the children get along (as well as how the perants do.)
#7 of 10 Old 04-17-2003, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

I am the opposite, personally. Not that I care more for other children than my own, but I empathize more with other children in my care if they are sad or hurt because they don't even have their mama there to make them feel better. I don't neglect my children's needs but I am a little more attentive to the others. I am also aware that my children are much more comfortable and knowledgeable about their surroundings (being at home) than the other children are when they're here.

Alas, I did not get the job I had applied for but I will be done school in August and starting my own business in September for which I will be looking for someone to come into my home and play with and care for my girls.

Thanks for all the responses!

Peace.
#8 of 10 Old 04-17-2003, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All I can say is make sure that who ever watches them is in tune with your educational goals. I can see some people geting it into thier head that if you aren't going to properly educate them then they are. Just somehting to think about. On the other hand if you are going to ask them to be a part of your childs education make sure you are on the same page with how children should be helped with learning etc. . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#9 of 10 Old 04-18-2003, 01:01 PM

Good point, lilyka
#10 of 10 Old 04-19-2003, 10:26 AM

Well, I'll just say that it is soooo hard to find that "right" person. I know because I was just in this situation a few months ago. I called up so many people but none of them were anything special. I was so scared to leave my honey with a stranger and finally I gave up and figured nobodys going to love and nurture my child the way I do, so now I'm trying to stay home with my dd.

I know I'm not being much help but I was just breifly stating my experience. My advice is to write down a list of questions beforehand and bring them with you and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you have.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page