Homescholing/unschooling after daycare - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2003, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI there ~ I really want to homeschool/unschool my now 2 yr old Ds (and any children we have in the future) but Dh and I are also talking about 1-2 days a week, in the fall, of a Waldorf style preschool (well it goes up to 8th grade, but...). We live in a very rural place and only have 2 kids that we play with regularly ( and this is not often, like twice a month??) and they are 3 and 5. He sees other kids at the park and when he comes to work with me, but I worry about his socialization therefore the reasoning behind the preschool. I don't need it to work or for any other reason than DS having fun with some kiddos his own age.
What do you guys think. Are friends really THAT important at this age, and will his attendence at a school like this prohibit future homeschooling (I ask this as I know several friends that have sent their kids to school for a few days a week and the kids just LOVE it and want to keep going and going as many days as they can). Also, what other ideas do you have for increased socialization with same age peers???????
Thanks in Advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2003, 01:11 AM

I have never sent my children to daycare or school so I can't help you from personal experience, but I do know many homeschooling parents who did send their children to daycare/nursery school or some other program and then homeschooled successfully. There are many homeschoolers who spent several years in school before being homeschooled.

I think a lot of the reason children like the idea of school is the whole ritual of it. They love the idea of the school year starting and their going to buy all their school stuff. My 6-year-old spent all last summer playing with children who then went to school, and she kind of wanted to go to school too in the fall. Taking her out to get some "school stuff" and then having a pretend "first day of school" solved that problem. She also still has playdates with those children. We have also attended a few events and extracurricular classes in the public school building and at the Waldorf school, so what school is is not such a mystery to them. I think these things can help children who are transitioning from school into homeschooling, too.

It sounds to me like your son has no lack of playmates and like you are pretty resourceful about meeting people, so I personally don't see the need for school in your case if it is just for him to meet people. I am sure if you looked around, you'd find other ways to meet chidren as well (classes, sports, homeschool groups, etc.) But perhaps you have other reasons, such as wanting to get to know the Waldorf parents in your area or something else entirely, and those are valid too. Maybe examine the reasons you want him to go to school and then see if you can meet those needs elsewhere. That might help you make the decision.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:02 AM

I do think that it can be difficult to pull a child out of a preschool they love and homeschool when their friends are all going to school. If you are wanting to increase his oppertunities to socialize, see if there is a local homeschool group, take a toddler class (Gymboree, swimming, etc), or attend or start a playgroup. I also highly suggest reading You Are Your Child's First Teacher- it is a Waldorf child development book, and has really great applicable ideas.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:35 AM

I think that children's need/desire/etc. for peer socializing really varies depending on both their family situation, personality, and other outlets for meeting people (don't discount the people they meet who aren't their age, though, some kids benefit more from older or younger kids or other adults in many ways).

I do believe, however, that the later preschool and kindergarten years can be good times to spend a lot of time with kids near the same age. Not seven hours a day five days a week, but frequent play times of 1-4 hours. I think the Waldorf preschool might be a good options, especially since you can go part time. Often there will be many parents not continuing in the Waldorf school after preschool, so your children may not feel as different. It probably will be important to start talking about what they might do next year well before the event. Start making plans before their speech fills with laments about all the things they won't be doing that the other kids will! And check and double check for homeschooling groups in your area.

Good luck with your decision.

Sherri
Old 04-16-2003, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the responses

DS just loves to play with kids, of any age, and really this is our sole motivation for looking into the preschool. I'm more than into just visiting with a play group or other ways of hooking up with other kids, regularly, but haven't found the opportunity for this in our community as of yet.
With summer coming up, krisday, swimming is a good idea, maybe a member ship to the spa is in order (our community pool kinda stinks, but they will be building a new one). I was also thinking of two stores that maybe I could put up a sign at regarding homeschooling families and play groups in general. I just haven't heard of much first hand about any of these things going on, although I know the homeschooling population in our community is fairly large.
I kinda agree with you hydrangea, I don't see the need for the school either ~ except on the days where I feel he hasn't interacted with any kids in a while ~ although I DO often discount the importance of his interactions with the older kids Sherricp (we have a lot of 10-15 yr olds around where I work).
I'm still really torn. We will go visit the school this month as they are having open house/visitation days each Tuesday in April, maybe that will help????: I need to find out the cost too, maybe that will be the decidin factor. I will also pick up a copy of You are Your Child's First Teacher (thanks for the recommendation krisday!!) and keep going from there.

All of these difficult decisions....

Anyone else have any advice to share????????
Old 04-16-2003, 01:46 PM

Contact your state homeschoolign organizationa (do a websearch for your state+homeschooling) and find your local contacts. They can let you knwo what things are going on locally.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you krisday!!! I'll definately check it out that way~ didn't realize it was that easy!!!

User Tag List