~ June Unschooling Support! ~ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 226 Old 06-01-2007, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to June, free thinkers!

A blessing for the beginning of our month ~ Byron Katie (unknowingly) supports unschooling.

For those of you that can appreciate the teachings of Byron Katie, I wanted to share this awesome quote of hers that is entirely relevant to unschooling. I use the word "unknowingly" because she is only just learning about the concept of self-directed learning as a societally-realistic option for educating children. ~

". . . Master or teacher is not a word I normally use. It implies that we all don't teach equally. And that's not true. Everyone has equal wisdom. It is absolutely equally distributed. No one is wiser than anyone else. Ultimately, there's no one who can teach you except yourself."

Happy Friday to all!
#2 of 226 Old 06-01-2007, 02:32 PM

new to homeschooling / unschooling. will be lurking and asking questions from now on.

~May
#3 of 226 Old 06-01-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by May May View Post

A blessing for the beginning of our month ~ Byron Katie (unknowingly) supports unschooling.

For those of you that can appreciate the teachings of Byron Katie, I wanted to share this awesome quote of hers that is entirely relevant to unschooling. I use the word "unknowingly" because she is only just learning about the concept of self-directed learning as a societally-realistic option for educating children. ~

". . . Master or teacher is not a word I normally use. It implies that we all don't teach equally. And that's not true. Everyone has equal wisdom. It is absolutely equally distributed. No one is wiser than anyone else. Ultimately, there's no one who can teach you except yourself."

Happy Friday to all!

Was just coming to sub, but had to say, May May, I LOVE that quote!!!
#4 of 226 Old 06-01-2007, 06:04 PM

May may, I like her quote too. I saw it in her third book & thought the same thing about unschooling.

I love June! I turn 42 on the 7th & am feeling giddy already.......:

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#5 of 226 Old 06-01-2007, 07:35 PM

Wow, June is here! It's summer. (Well, not technically...but whatever )

My unschoolers are playing Guild Wars (Ds), talking on the phone (Dd), eating macaroni, and listening to music (both). Dd just shredded a whole bunch of paper and old mail. Whew, that spot in the kitchen looks much better.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#6 of 226 Old 06-01-2007, 08:25 PM

Just found this. I am Sarah, mama to 2 unschooled guys. They are currently outside enjoying the sun, water and making up games with the neighbor home-schooled kids. Don't know if I will get over to post much (spotty net access), but appreciate a thread for others like us. Thanks!
#7 of 226 Old 06-01-2007, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We went swimming for the first time this year, in a lake. Got to see a ton of tadpoles. Ds surprised me by going all the way up to his neck. He doesn't like getting his face wet and it was nice to see him comfortable so deep, instead of his having a death grip on me. I'm sure running around that deep is a good first step to doggy paddling. We were pestered by black flies and no-see-ums, though. Ds also found a caterpillar and is hoping it will form a chrysilis.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#8 of 226 Old 06-01-2007, 09:53 PM

I'm subbing!
#9 of 226 Old 06-02-2007, 12:24 AM

I read some of last month's thread, but I started reading late and the thread was trucking along so merrily I couldn't keep up. But I'll throw my hat into the ring this month.

I'm dm, and I have three kids. One is in school (emergency measure to keep the family from imploding) and two are unschooled. The unschooled ones are Ramona (5) and Efram (4).

Today my kids listened to on tape/played Harry Potter all day. Efram tried to tell Ramona that she couldn't be Harry because Harry is a boy but Ramona put him squarely in his place with a blistering, "Girls can be anything they want to be!"

We also had a discussion about why I have a "fuzzy 'gina" (Efram wanted to know) and who in the family sports a uterus.

My biggest personal struggle related to unschooling right now is wrestling with the desire to prod Ramona in the direction of reading. I *know* that she will learn to read (the kid loves books and last week sat for five hours listening to a book) without intervention, and she can read some, but she's one of those kids who wants to know how to read, not learn how to read, so she gets frustrated very easily. I am not worried about her learning to read ... I just wish she'd do it already because she will be a much happier kid when she can read to herself and not have to wait for me to finish cooking/doing laundry/recuperating from a marathon read-aloud session before I can read to her again. It's just my impatience to get a little bit of a break from constantly reading aloud that makes me long to "teach" her to read. She does want a phonics workbook to work on this summer when her sister has summer work from school (Desta [12] is going into 7th grade but works on a 2nd grade level) so that she can be with Desta while Desta works. I found a Twin Sisters phonics workbook that looks fun and comes with a music cd, so we'll see how that works out.

dm
#10 of 226 Old 06-02-2007, 03:28 AM

Hi all..
I've been finding it hard to keep up with all the mails, we are travelling and living in a small van for now, so internet isn't so easy to come by. But I slowly manage to read the list - gee you mamas are chatty

So many times I see something I want to reply to, but usually its a few days (and about 50 messages) past.

I'm really finding it challengind to keep up with 4yo DD and on the road. right now we are desperately looking for a homely home to rent, and to create a local unschooling group.

Still, driving around the country, we managed to stop a lot and look around at interesting stuff, DD is learning a lot, just by living

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#11 of 226 Old 06-02-2007, 09:25 AM

I'll intro myself too.

We have 5 children,two are grown and three at home. Oldest ds-almost 15 has never been inside a government school. Dd-9 went the past two years. She begged me and we let her. She had alot of fun but is ready to come home now,for good. Ds-8 went and hated it so we pulled him out.
So here we are and my heart is filled with happiness that my children are home!
#12 of 226 Old 06-02-2007, 09:50 AM

Hi everyone and welcome!

#13 of 226 Old 06-02-2007, 11:03 AM

I think I chimed in once on last month's thread...but it's so hard to keep up!

I've been teaching high school math at the homeschooling coop for the past month or so and yesterday was the last day of that. My kids have been going with me and usually one mom plays a game with my older two and their grade schoolers and another mom plays with my 2yo so that I have the undistracted time I need. My kids have had such a blast there (as my 5yo has said "If this is what school is like, I wanna go every day!") that we were invited to join them next week on their last day, and the woman who's house it is at (a house that is within jumping distance of a nice pond!) has invited us to go swimming out there this summer...AND provided me with a great solution to a problem I've been stressing about. In the fall I have to take a class that meets three times a week (sadly, since there are only 6 students in the honors program at my university that are parents, they don't cater to them), and I've had no idea what I was going to do with the kids while I went. I was thinking I might have to take out a student loan just to pay for a babysitter . Well, I have been offered the opportunity to leave my kids at the homeschooling coop while I go (as long as my class is during school hours) in exchange for tutoring in math as needed! My kids jumped at that, so it looks like it'll work out.

Since the homeschooling coop is very much a school type environment, my kids have become more familiar with the concept of different grades. dd (5yo) has decided that she wants to be in 2nd grade by the end of the summer and ds (7yo) has decided he wants to be in 6th grade. So we've spent some time talking about what getting to those grade levels entails. They seem to be up for it, so we're going to sit down and make up a plan that they're ok with and see how it goes...but we're flexable
#14 of 226 Old 06-02-2007, 11:22 AM

Oh! I almost forgot! I was looking at free text books online yesterday just for kicks (how nerdy is that?), and found in the listings a geography book from 1850. It had a question about how many contenents there are...the answer was two! We all had a good laugh about that! So then my sister told about a local beauty pagent she went to and when the 17 year old winner of the Miss *small town* title was asked the question "what country would you like to visit, and why?" Her answer was "Africa, because they have groups of AIDS, a need for water, and the children...oh, yes...the children" Ds remarked that maybe that was her geography book :
#15 of 226 Old 06-02-2007, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Angel View Post
Was just coming to sub, but had to say, May May, I LOVE that quote!!!

Good morning Earth Angel and all you other angels! Earth Angel, have you see the BK thread over in PG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest
May may, I like her quote too. I saw it in her third book & thought the same thing about unschooling.

I love June! I turn 42 on the 7th & am feeling giddy already.......

Isn't that book A M A Z I N G? Oh my goodness I do love it. For me, it is the quintessential how-to-navigate-through-humanness manual.

And : Greenlee! I love that magical energy space around the anniversary of our entrance to the Earth. I am so glad you're here!

~
We are getting ready for girlbear's martial arts group, today. Last night we made shish kebabs on our copper fire bowl while swimming and jumping on the trampoline, howling at the old blue moon. Then we took the grill off the bowl and made a really big fire in it and did some drumming and chanting. I love that my kids and I can have the wild & free experience of travelling to such far off places (of the mind) without having to leave our own little backyard oasis.
#16 of 226 Old 06-02-2007, 04:56 PM

I had lots of fun reading and posting in May, so I'm back for June!

We haven't done anything exciting yet in june, lol. I did bring some more advanced baby toys up for ds who's going to be 10mo on Monday. They were dd's from long ago so she was having fun reliving her babyhood.

My dh has the next 2 weeks off starting tomorrow. He had to use the time or loose it. We're thinking about going to a museum and maybe Cabellas to see the animals. Plus we're going to try to get stuff done around here too.
#17 of 226 Old 06-02-2007, 07:24 PM

Hi everyone! Just sayin' howdy!
#18 of 226 Old 06-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Hi everyone! Ds is currently outside with friends enjoying a Slip&Slide and lots of water fun! Happy Saturday!
#19 of 226 Old 06-02-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJane View Post
Just found this. I am Sarah, mama to 2 unschooled guys. They are currently outside enjoying the sun, water and making up games with the neighbor home-schooled kids. Don't know if I will get over to post much (spotty net access), but appreciate a thread for others like us. Thanks!
Hey, RasJane, I live in Newberg, too!

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
#20 of 226 Old 06-02-2007, 09:05 PM

Happy June, everybody!

Happy birthday, Greenlee!

I am nesting like a crazy thing so we have been cleaning and renovating like mad!

Ds(12) has a 3 afternoons per week job helping a carpenter and he loves it! This is what he wants to do as a profession and he is just in his glory. They were surprised by his strong work ethic but he LOVES it so I'm not surprised.

Dd decided she wanted a pair of shoes from the catalogue and didn't even ask me for them. She asked me to buy iced tea mix for her to sell, instead! So far, she has paid me back for the supplies and is now working on the $$ for her shoes.

We had extra homeschool funding left and ds(5) wanted craft supplies so he is completely in creative mood. My neighbour asked why there are markers on TOP of my wood shed so I will have to ask him about that!:

I am just so enjoying that my babes are following their own pursuits now. We are all enjoying it so much.
#21 of 226 Old 06-02-2007, 09:19 PM

Ah, I better introduce myself!

My name's Nicole, and I'm just starting to really dive into homeschooling/unschooling. I've always known I would, but my daughter's just now showing a real interest in learning. Everything is, "What's this, what's that!" and "READ!" after she tosses her book at me and jumps in my lap. I'm so excited/nervous/AHH to jump into it all. I know she's been learning all this time already, but I feel like it's just really starting now. It makes me so happy

Hope to learn a lot from you lovely ladies!

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
#22 of 226 Old 06-03-2007, 03:39 AM

Hi all! We just had a long visit and BBQ with some friends and it was a lot of fun. We ate great food, played pool, listened to music, watched 4 episodes of "Flip This House" and the end of the first "Pirates of the Carribean". We had a cool discussion about pirates being role models or not. Not too far from us is a town festival and their theme this year was all about pirates. Some in the community felt the theme was inappropriate due to how pirates behaved in real life and what are we teaching kids with those examples. Interesting. Missing Dd as she off at a friend's house tonight, but I know she's having fun too.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#23 of 226 Old 06-03-2007, 10:20 AM

Oh, we loved the first "Pirates of the Carribean" movie. Depp was sooooo funny. Last weekend we saw the newest "Pirates" what a major disapointment! There were enough loose ends from the earlier movies that they could have just wrapped them up in this picture, but then they also dragged out a million NEW stories and subplots. It was very confusing, and had a slapped together feel to it. It also wasn't nearly as funny as the earlier movies. And, while the stunts were fun to watch in the first movie, there were so many battle scenes in this one that they all started to look alike (yawn.)

So that's my review (not that anyone asked .)

OTOH, we saw "Flyboys" the other day, and that was excellent.

We went to a birding class this week, and learned about different kinds of nests--we also tried out a new bug spray that did NOT work at all. Fortunately, we also went on a nature hike this week where the naturalist showed us jewelweed and we were saved. Found a dog tick on the dog and a deer tick on ds It's been soooo hot and humid here lately. We've been told to expect thunderstorms for the last three days, but we're still waiting...

In addition to all THAT nature stuff, we've had a lot of conversations about health/illness and death/quality of life this week, as our cat is dying.

I found myself thinking this morning, "I've had enough of nature lately."

Dd is doing a writing challenge with a friend and has been heavily into IMing both irl friends and a long distance penpal, so her typing/writing skills are being heavily utilized lately.

Ds1 is busy with his building projects. Last week, he went over to a friend's house and did geometry problems for fun. My unschooling self loves that he enjoys that, and my schooled self is thinking, "That's not supposed to be fun!"

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#24 of 226 Old 06-04-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by May May View Post

Happy Friday to all!
Lve that quote!
We had a very full weekend. I unschool as a rule, but sometimes we plan trips (I use "plan" very loosely--like the morning of) to nature to really get the kids out into things we want them to be exposed to. Today was a hike at a local creek in the mountains. Both of our kids are "natural" learners (learn best outdoors), so we had an opportunity to talk about plantlife, the circle of life, currents, ripples on water, fish, birds, why it's important to keep our Earth clean...it was amazing.
The very best part was absolutely magical. I was driving, DS was pummelling DH with questions about our surroundings, when out of nowhere comes a deer and her fawn. We slowed to a crawl, and both kids just happened to be looking out the front window and caught sight of it. DH had us all get quiet (which wasn't hard since the kids were both sitting with jaws dropped , and we watched as she carefully led her little one across the road. It was a magical blessing! The rest of our journey took on a spiritual, almost zen-like quality. We even got into the freezing creek. Good stuff!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#25 of 226 Old 06-04-2007, 12:37 AM

Oh that sounds so cool Darcy! I absolutely love deer (a bit of a spiritual connection if you will) so that would have been a terrific sight to see. What a treat.

Joan, yeah I have heard that the recent Pirates movie is a bit scattered. Some thought it was too long too I guess. My kids loved it and didn't in a variety of ways. I got to hear all about it when they got out of the theatre. I do believe I'd watch Johnny Depp read from the phone book though, so I am not coming from an unbaised POV no matter what.

Tonight we are enjoying a dip (although not a big enough one IMO) in the recent super warm temps. This house holds heat like there's no tomorrow. Dd is reading in her room and Ds is visiting with a friend and playing Guild Wars. I am drinking cheap wine and watching the cat play.

#26 of 226 Old 06-04-2007, 02:46 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#27 of 226 Old 06-04-2007, 11:18 AM

Everyone's having such a great time. I love reading it!

Quote:
In addition to all THAT nature stuff, we've had a lot of conversations about health/illness and death/quality of life this week, as our cat is dying.
Joan, I'm sorry. That must be very poignant & interesting for the children. And sad of course. Still, aren't kids just so amazingly clear sighted when it comes to things like this?

My kids found two abandoned kittens about a week ago behind a store, and we brought them home. They were SO small! They've been having a wonderful time mixing up the kitten drink (first time formula's ever been in this house ) and feeding them. They've been researching kitten development and taking them for rides in Barbie cars. Though I'm doubtful the sources of research recommended that. Hey, I think I have a picture or two here:
http://greenleesforest.blogspot.com/

It rained so much recently and the kids are building things out of mud right now.

I just ordered a hard cover Frank Nettle human physiology book from Amazon today. I'm so excited!! It's the gold standard for a physiology atlas, and I can't wait. I also got some anatomy coloring books. They're pretty cheap - only $3. I wonder who's going to color in them, the kids or me?

#28 of 226 Old 06-04-2007, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi ladies! Wow, this thread is jumping, and it's only the 4th!!

I'm still having a hard time trusting that DD is really learning enough when I don't prod her to read certain books or do specific things. Or rather, my Mom's doubts are starting to creep in. It's hard to constantly defend myself!!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#29 of 226 Old 06-04-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
Joan, I'm sorry. That must be very poignant & interesting for the children. And sad of course. Still, aren't kids just so amazingly clear sighted when it comes to things like this?
Yeah. I was thinking that euthanasia was going to "have to" be done, but thinking about how to explain that to my 7 yr old made me look at the whole picture differently. While kitty is terminal, she's not in any pain--so, saying we could "help" her to die so that she didn't suffer, doesn't make sense (at least not yet) because it's not apparent that she's suffering. And, in talking with all the kids about life cycles made me less nervous about providing hospice care to the cat. I think our culture (or at least my upbringing) left me with the idea that death is something to be avoided at all costs, and then, when it's imminent, to be hurried through and gotten over with. But there must be value in letting nature take it's course, in being patient and trusting that bodies know what to do--not unlike in birth, yk? So, lots of philosophical conversations going on here, as well as practical care-taking.

Quote:
My kids found two abandoned kittens about a week ago behind a store, and we brought them home.

Oh, they are SO adorable! I'm glad your kids found them, poor kitties. I just don't understand people sometimes.

I love watching the deer, but most people around here think of them as a nusance. They DO eat up gardens and stuff, but they've got to eat, and maybe if we weren't building on every square inch of land they'd be able to stay in the woods and eat there!

Well, we finally got our rain last night. It's about 20 degrees cooler today so I think I'll go clean my house--much as I hate doing that, we've reached the tipping point where leaving it as it is is makes me feel worse than having to clean it.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#30 of 226 Old 06-04-2007, 11:39 AM

Ruthla it IS so hard when someone close to you just doesn't have the open mind to see how learning takes place so naturally. I know because my own mama still doesn't after all these years. We have agreed to disagree because we love each other and both want what is best for my children.
Anyway~
we are going swiming today,play in the park,and just enjoy being together!
Hope everyone else is having a happy day too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page