Mothering Forum banner

dd advocating for unschooling -- "I learn what i want, whenever i want"

738 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TheJoyfulMom 
#1 ·
today, at a felting table at an event, a young nurse kept asking my 5 year old unschooled dd about "homeschooling".

"what did you learn today?"

dd looked at her with big eyes and said, "well, i learned felting today. i learn every day."

"but do you learn math?"

"I learn what i want, whenever i want."

"but do you learn math? numbers?"

DD, in a sing song, "I learn what i want, whenever i want!"

as DD was speaking english, and the nurse knew we spoke russian at home, she asked again, "In what language do you learn?"

dd was confused, but then said, "I learn in any language."

"so how did you learn english?"

"i listened to my mother talking to other adults, and i watched them, and then i learned."

at that point an older man chimed in, "I see. you learn what you want to learn. i wonder what you your mother will say." he chuckled.

"of course she learns what she wants to learn," i responded.

then a 10 year old girl asked me what we did while "homeschooling", and said she always had to get up early for school, and didn't like it. i said that we liked going to bed late, and waking up late, and that we do what we feel like doing, and learn along the way, what we feel like learning. like felting. the girl was very impressed.

when her mother came to pick her up, she said, "mom, can i not go to school?"

"the school is finished for the year," the mother said.

"no, i mean like never?"

the mother laughed, and looked at the rest of the group with an "excuse her" shrug. i wonder if they will talk about it later.

recently i posted about dd's questionable manners while interacting with others. well, i am happy to share that she was polite and considerate, talked to adults with confidence, and generally made a great impression on everybody.

and i made a great impression on an elderly inuk woman who saw me nurse my 2.5 year old! she didn't speak a word of english, but she positively beamed, as she was sitting across from me, felting.

we had a great day of felting. definitely hooked! too bad this kind of workshops come to our town once a year.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.