**August Unschooling** - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 151 Old 08-07-2007, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You OK, UnSchMa? (Re: ER visit)

Mean kids are so hard to explain. Glad she's was able to turn it around and have a good evening.

Speaking of editing...(See, there, I like to add in all kinds of interesting punctuation. LURVE the ellipses thang LOL) We started a series last year and DH was reading it outloud at nights. It was terribly edited! So badly, at times DH could barely read it. And the spelling was horrid too. At one point, the author was describing shoes which were patent leather but spelled "patton-leather." Patton? Um, she's wearing a dead general on her feet? (In case you're curious, the series was the Romeo Crumb series, which is up to Book Three in what I can only assume will be nine books total)

DD has been pushing herself physically and challenging herself almost daily. It's interesting to see. Yesterday, she had some complicated "thing" she wanted to achieve which involved diving with her snorkel in her hand then coming up for air, dumping out water from the snorkel and trying to get it in her mouth before going under again. It was driving her crazy. She pushed and pushed and was close to tears and finally, she had it. It was interesting because no one told her she needed to do this. No one expected it of her. She wanted it of herself. She can be very driven when it's something she wants of herself. Anyway, interesting stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 151 Old 08-07-2007, 10:05 AM

Since I have let my children "go" and be and learn on their own...our world has become so interesting! my son buries his nose in a book daily, and he told me what a cantilever is and proceeded to build one with a deck of cards. Then he wanted to make pickles and found a recipe online and copied it down by hand. We didnt make them because I need an ingredient that we will get today. He then told me he was born to be a french chef lol My daughters have been playing as usual, role playing with their dolls and i sat and listened to them and they are surely learning because the vocabulary is astonishing and its really interesting to see how they see their world. Its just so amazing to hear them asking more and more questions...and now, the reason why i decided to homeschool in the first place (and now unschool) is because I want to have the time to LISTEN to their questions and answers and stories. Before it was so hard. We never had time to listen to each other. We were always running off doing this and that and too busy to hear one another. Homework was such a drag, many tears and arguing...I hated it. We need to be free and learn on our own. The best way to learn something is to actually be interested and enjoy it.

I was reading a magazine that my MIL had said there was some herbal things in it (I was amazed because it was a mainstream one) and i came across a schooling article. The parents in the article were outraged because they feel that the school is making their children's education the parents' responsibility and not the schools.....i almost fell to the floor. Even when my children chose to go to PS for a while, i still felt it my responsibility to make sure they were taken care of and loved and learning. This article was saying how school is sending home so much homework nowadays that the parents end up teaching the children because the homework is so hard and the teachers just send it home without teaching the material. I was like what????? : I cant believe parents would just give their children up to the school and let go and not even understand that as parents it is our responsibility to do whats best for our children. Especially learning. Thats why unschooling works for us....our chlidren will learn better this way. The article also said children are more stressed out (um, YEAH ) these days because of the activities and homework and the family never does things together and children never get that important time after school to just play and explore and do things. I thought it would have been appropriate if the article mentioned homeschooling as a better way of life...instead they said talk to the teachers and fight fight fight! But it is so true....my children have been more relaxed since we "let go" and their vocabulary is really growing daily, just by doing the normal everyday things. Before this, we were miserable doing the routine that school had us on. We had no "us" time. We are definitely far happier and healthier this way

Just my .02....

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#63 of 151 Old 08-07-2007, 11:17 AM

UnschoolnMa, Do you think the boy was smitten' and then shy/embarrassed by his friend's comments in front of your dd? Perhaps, he didn't intend for the "friend" to be there for the "hanging out".

Pat

I have a blog.
#64 of 151 Old 08-07-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulajewla View Post
I cant believe parents would just give their children up to the school and let go and not even understand that as parents it is our responsibility to do whats best for our children.
Crazy, huh? In England, the law is clear that education *is* the parent's responsibility regardless of where/how the child is educated (not that they tell anyone they have options other than school: ). Still, I think a lot of people don't accept or understand that and choose to blame the schools when things go wrong. Also, there are situations where even when a parent does accept responsibility and tries to deal with an issue in a way that's best for their child, they are undermined by inflexible rules and policies. I've heard so many stories about school "authorities" who were quite happy to take over parenting and decide what is best for someone's child. It's scary, and no wonder parents are confused.
#65 of 151 Old 08-07-2007, 07:31 PM

I am not a full Unschooler....but if you all don't mind, I would love to hang out and gather wisdom from you all. (Part of this is due to court issues with ds1 bio father ......was having trouble keeping good enough records due to his objection to homeschooling.....we are laid back, mix it up, crazy homeschoolers who unschool may days, but I just felt I needed to cover my butt for now)

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#66 of 151 Old 08-07-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I am not a full Unschooler....but if you all don't mind, I would love to hang out and gather wisdom from you all
Welcome AngelBee! Let me know when you've got some wisdom - I'm always looking for it too!

I can't believe it's already August! I'm seeing a lot of school supplies on sale and I LOVE buying paper, crayons, and cute little things at this time. Well, I love buying it anytime, but right now it's so plentiful. What is more fun that paper & a huge box of brand new crayons? And, a tiny secret little part of me revels in the fact that my kids don't have to leave me in a few weeks....:

Today it stormed all day, and that, combined with overdry parched soil made for some giant "lakes" in the back pasture. The kids are sailing all mode of boat & log on the water. I think I just saw a pizza box wrapper go by.....

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#67 of 151 Old 08-07-2007, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I cant believe parents would just give their children up to the school and let go and not even understand that as parents it is our responsibility to do whats best for our children.
This is a major problem I had with the school when my oldest was enrolled--they EXPECTED parents to give up their kids to the school and just wanted parents to back their policies, rules and expectations. I wanted to be involved, but, they're the experts, you know.

We just had a 2 yr old visitor at our house, since Friday because her older sis was in the hospital. I'd forgotten how exhausting 2 year olds are! But it was also a lot of fun--I got to do all the stuff my kids are "too old" to do...play with blocks, run hot wheels cars down ramps, play "kitchen," sing silly songs, etc. etc. I miss having little ones around...on the other hand, it's nice to be able to pee all by myself.

I'm setting up a science residency for my older two for the fall. They're really excited about it.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#68 of 151 Old 08-07-2007, 10:39 PM

you mean, we can just choose to give up our children to someone else and they'll take care of everything ??? where were these people when DD was up all night nursing!? I sure coulda used someone to take responsibility then :

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#69 of 151 Old 08-08-2007, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
You OK, UnSchMa? (Re: ER visit)
Oh, I don't want to go on about it but no, not really. I've got some health issues that I have had for awhile, but one in particular is pretty heavy lately. I just wish I could be done with it, ya know? Thanks for asking how I am though! I'm hanging right on...

Quote:
And the spelling was horrid too. At one point, the author was describing shoes which were patent leather but spelled "patton-leather." Patton? Um, she's wearing a dead general on her feet?
That is hilarious... and maddening I am sure!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#70 of 151 Old 08-08-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
UnschoolnMa, Do you think the boy was smitten' and then shy/embarrassed by his friend's comments in front of your dd? Perhaps, he didn't intend for the "friend" to be there for the "hanging out".

Pat
Yeah, that's certainly a possible component to what went down. Apparently there are two boys, very good friends. One is much nicer and the other is crude and unpleasant most of the time. When Nicer boy hangs with Crude Boy all of a sudden Nicer boy adopts that behavior. Or sometimes just anyone coming around at all causes a change in the way he treats Dd.

The cruder of the two young men constantly makes references to Dd's anatomy and sexual activities (he asked another neighborhood kid at the park to ask Dd if she'd ever "made out" with a girl before, etc.) and is pretty dismissive of boundaries and such. Dd wishes that the nicer boy would "grow a backbone" when dealing with his friend. Also she told me she isn't sure why he'd want to be friends with someone like that in the first place, and that she wonders if his nice behavior is all an act because he likes Dd's anatomy too. : Ahhh, socialization!

Dd isn't really into dating or anything (she's going on 14), but she is open to having friends that are boys, and she admits that Nicer boy is a cutie. I am just trying to offer my advice to her, and to keep the communication open.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#71 of 151 Old 08-08-2007, 11:07 AM

At our school the nurse tried to take over the parents role with my son and i wasnt having any part of it. They kept saying "We know whats best for him". He had this weird seizure thing a while back...he said the room went dim and when people talked it was like they were in a metal box...then he apparently attacked another child (My son has never been aggressive except to me and his sisters, never ever to a friend) but he doesnt remember it. The friend is his best friend ever...so we didnt understand. when talking to his friend, he said it was scary , Jared just stared at him for a long time and they didnt know what happened to him they tried to talk to him but he kept staring. then they said he made this weird mean face that they never saw before....and then he attacked them.

After pushing the friend down jared fell to the ground and appeared to have passed out. he said when he woke up he was sitting at the table with his head on the table and he felt dizzy and tired. WHen they all went upstairs it happened again but this time he said he remembered hitting his friend, but he doesnt know why. His friend swore he was "possessed" and was crying and telling his mother "Jared my best friend would never do this, mom im telling you he was possessed by someone else! why dont you believe me!" the poor kid was crying he really believed my son was possessed.

Well Jared apologized, though he really didnt remember much and told everyone so. The school nurse put him in a room away from everyone else for the day while he cried and made mean faces. I was called and ran over there to take him home. The nurse goes "OH no, we wont have that! Then he will think being bad is an excuse to get out of school to go home to mommy!" I said, I really dont think my son was being "bad" I am thinking a seizure of some sort. The nurse looked at me and said "NO way he was just causing trouble. I dont buy it for one second, and I know how Jared is, im with him alot!" i said "Um, i am his mother and I KNOW how my SON is. Have you ever seen him hit a kid before?" she was like no, but now he's starting to so we have to watch him. I said didnt you listen to my son when he said the room went dim and he couldnt hear well? doesnt your red flag go up as this is a symptom of some neurological thing, possibly?....she didnt know I was a nurse at one time and MY flag had gone up with the knowledge that my son would never do anything like this.

She kept telling me she knew better and my son was just causing trouble....and im like ok we are so out of here! Poor Jared he was crying and he dropped to the floor when he saw me and grabbed my leg. (He was 8)he didnt understand what had happened to him. Seizures run in his fathers side of the family along with Tourettes...so I really believe it was a seizure. Our dr does too. But noooo the school thought they knew best and told him he was grounded and blah blah blah....omg it was terrible. They try to be the parent...and i was confused too a little, like why dont they understand, i thought this school was one of the better ones. The nurse even said to me "It cant be a seizure because his heartrate was normal, breathing was normal and his eyes werent dilated" i was like what kind of training have you had...in certain types of seizures, they can be fine seconds after the seizure occurred. I was like, were you there DURING it or too busy taking a break? No one seemed to see him have these episodes except for friends. thats how public school is, when you need some help, no one is there.

Thankfully we are back to homeschooling again...well i mean now we are UNSCHOOLING lol....we homeschooled before, but now we are on an even better path!

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#72 of 151 Old 08-08-2007, 11:12 AM

Hola! Hope it is ok if I take a seat here.
It is officially unofficial, my two youngest (ds 6 and dd7) are not going back to ps this year. The schools have been notified and I'm feeling a great deal of relief. I decided to see how the summer went and since we are thoroughly enjoying the freedom of learning and have found our groove, this is it. My oldest has decided to go to ps, she's a sophmore this year. I can't really fathom why, but whatever.

On the agenda at the moment:
We are making a scrapbook to keep track of what we do this year. I got out our book about recycling junk mail into making your own paper and what fabulous things you can do with it. I got some beautiful ribbon at the dollar store for binding. Everyone is stoked about this project and it will be ongoing so the possibilities are limitless.
We are immersing in Spanish. My bil and sister are moving here from FL at the end of September. We are taking a road trip/vacation down there to bring them and their stuff back to KS. That will be an amazing and wonderful learning experience. My two youngest have never been to the ocean before. Bil is Puerto Rican and speaks fluent Spanish so it will be super cool to have him around to correct our grammar.
We are learning to play the tin whistle and guitar.
Sheesh, now that I think about it, we have already accomplished so much over the summer, are in the middle of so much and have so much planned, I feel like I can take on the opposition that is coming our way. There is a lot of it.:
The other day my dad told me to "just get them in school and get them through it"...: Ok, what about their education?! Sorry, I don't equate "just getting through" school with an enriching educational experience.
So, I have a question. I'm not terribly computer savvy as we have been without one for quite some time. If I wanted to do a blog to chronicle our adventures and such, what would anyone here recommend? I'm not too familiar with any of the blogging sites. Thanks and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here a little better.
#73 of 151 Old 08-08-2007, 11:34 AM

doulajewla what a heartwrenching story! point #678,742 why we arent going to send our dd to school!

mamathistle,

#74 of 151 Old 08-08-2007, 11:39 AM

well we have a new addition to our family.Bucky the guinea pig. He is funny and cute and the kids love him. He was free from another unschooling family.

We've been having alot of fun this summer. I think we've been in the car about every day going somewhere which really isn't typical of us but things have just been happening that we have wanted to see and do! Lots of water play since it's been soooooo hot here in IN. Reading and movies in the evening...
#75 of 151 Old 08-08-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Oh, I don't want to go on about it but no, not really. I've got some health issues that I have had for awhile, but one in particular is pretty heavy lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulajewla
The nurse goes "OH no, we wont have that! Then he will think being bad is an excuse to get out of school to go home to mommy!"
I would have been LIVID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamathistle
I got out our book about recycling junk mail into making your own paper and what fabulous things you can do with it.
Ooh, I would love to hear more about this. What's the name of the book?

Quote:
Sheesh, now that I think about it, we have already accomplished so much over the summer, are in the middle of so much and have so much planned, I feel like I can take on the opposition that is coming our way. There is a lot of it.
The other day my dad told me to "just get them in school and get them through it"... Ok, what about their education?! Sorry, I don't equate "just getting through" school with an enriching educational experience.
*sigh* Yeah.
Quote:
So, I have a question. I'm not terribly computer savvy as we have been without one for quite some time. If I wanted to do a blog to chronicle our adventures and such, what would anyone here recommend? I'm not too familiar with any of the blogging sites. Thanks and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here a little better.
Glad to have you here. I've tried LJ, Blogger/Blogspot, Xanga... there might have been a couple others, I've lost track. My favorite so far has been Blogsome (you can see my blogs that use it in my siggy,) which uses the Wordpress platform. There's also Typepad, but you have to pay for that.
#76 of 151 Old 08-08-2007, 05:29 PM

Oh was i mad! He went home with me of course. It was just so sad....and to think of parents out there who dont believe they have a choice...like my MIL...she will take everything and never question anything. its been hard becuase i was trying to unschool her 16 y/o and he ended up really being nasty to me and screamed and threw his guitar that we were doing nothing and he was learning nothing and he's going back to school, even though he hates it. he said i was an awful teacher. but in fact i wasnt teaching, just guiding him....and he asked for math, so I tried to supply him with math. He didnt like it. I told him to research on his own and to do self study--nope he hated that, he said he'd rather lay in bed all day which is what he did. so now he's in school and thats that. *sigh* at least my children will be brought up having a loving and caring learning environment and never feel rushed or stressed out at a young age.

#77 of 151 Old 08-08-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
its been hard becuase i was trying to unschool her 16 y/o and he ended up really being nasty to me and screamed and threw his guitar that we were doing nothing and he was learning nothing and he's going back to school, even though he hates it.
Sounds like he doesn't get unschooling, is stressed by expectations (not from you, but from others) and and was taking it out on you.
#78 of 151 Old 08-08-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I was called and ran over there to take him home. The nurse goes "OH no, we wont have that! Then he will think being bad is an excuse to get out of school to go home to mommy!" I said, I really dont think my son was being "bad" I am thinking a seizure of some sort. The nurse looked at me and said "NO way he was just causing trouble. I dont buy it for one second, and I know how Jared is, im with him alot!"
Ughh! I'd have really been angry and very firm that her approach was not the route we are taking. I am so sorry that you and your son had to deal with that.

Quote:
Thankfully we are back to homeschooling again...well i mean now we are UNSCHOOLING lol....we homeschooled before, but now we are on an even better path!
Yay! :

#79 of 151 Old 08-08-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post
Thanks so much! I love those.

#80 of 151 Old 08-09-2007, 11:46 AM

Yeah, my BIL was just not used to the homeschooling way of life. in his family, they are very unaccepting of something that is not "normal" and sometimes I have had to speak to them about the words they use in my home when describing other people. I dont like it. There is no "alternative" solutions to anything with them, its just one way and if they dont like it, too bad they suffer through and dont say a word. My husband was not quite like them, he was very open minded about ALOT at a young age too. He would have taken to homeschooling very well if someone had offered it years ago for him.

I think my BIL was so worried and anxious about getting credit to go to college. In his mind, all he knew was that he had to have such and such credits and if he didnt he'd be dead in the water, and it would be MY fault for not "teaching" him. He told me that I was just a mom and wasnt a teacher so I didnt know anything and I could really screw up his life. So we parted ways and I accepted it--but not without trying to really lead him in a better direction. We will still try to help him, but homeschooling is just not for him. He has a bit to learn too regarding money and saving---in his family, he gets what he wants, when he wants it and spends money whenever he wants. Lately he's been better and more responsible, but in that family its hard to be responsible because no one else is. Instead of using the check he gets for child support things through the federal govt,for years he's been blowing it and now has 18 guitars and amps to show for it. They could have saved that for college or a car, or clothes or a HOME. But instead they said it was his money, and he could do what he wanted with it. $900 a month is too much for a child to have, and it started 6 years ago. I was trying, while homeschooling him, to get him to see how its great to save and the value of a dollar.....but he didnt see it. He was too used to spending whatever he wanted for his entire life. anyway...ill stop now lol but i guess i just needed to vent thanks for listening!

#81 of 151 Old 08-11-2007, 09:57 PM

Holy buried thread, Batman. I had to go back 4 pages to find the unschooling support thread.

Who wants to start a poll about organizing the learning at home forum?

#82 of 151 Old 08-11-2007, 10:18 PM

Yeah it did get buried a bit didn't it! So glad we've been ressurected.

Pretty relaxed today. Lots of cleaning in fits and starts. (But hey the drapes are in the washing machine and the dishwasher is getting loaded!) Both kids are playing video games right now (Halo and Kingdom Hearts I think), and both are reading new books too. We prefer to read at night for whatever reason.

Being sick and without any physical energy I have been doing some more art lately. It's a little warm today. I'm glad that autumn is around the corner.

#83 of 151 Old 08-11-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
Who wants to start a poll about organizing the learning at home forum?
YOU DO!!!
(in rainbow we say: If you see a job, its YOURS!"

#84 of 151 Old 08-11-2007, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
I'm glad that autumn is around the corner.
YES! We had weird weather this week. VERY hot and humid (like, 98 degrees/100%) and then, suddenly, yesterday was in the 50's!! Today was back in the upper 80's and sunny. I'm ready for cool, crisp air of autumn.

We went to the state fair today--I've never been to a state or county fair. It was funny--we live in a suburb and while we've *visited* the country, it's still sort of foreign to us. Today was as if someone put us in the middle of a movie set. Real 4H goats, a pig beauty pagent, tractor pulls, overalls--the whole thing. lol!! It was an interesting experience, and a fun day, but I think I probably don't have to do it again.

I'm pretty beat now. Ds1 is playing Guild Wars, dd is torturing me with puns, and ds2 is building a fort in the middle of the living room with our two house-guests. Later, we plan on watching a dvd of "Cirque Du soleil." The boys have been really into drawing lately and have sketch pads that they carry around with them. Ds1 had me take him to the lumber yard the other day and it was kind of cute when he explained to me how he prefered a certain yard over Lowes because of the quality of the wood.

We had to have a hamster funeral this week. Ds2 was sad, but also accepting of the whole circle. He chose a spot in the shade garden to bury the hamster, and marked the grave with a special stone. We talked about his life and ds remarked about him "going back into the earth to help the plants grow." Sad...but sweet too.

Oh, this is funny-- 3 of us were playing the card game, "Pit" the other day and at one point, when I claimed to have won the hand, but before I showed my cards, dd told me what my hand was. When I asked how she knew, she said that she knew what cards she was holding and remembered what had been shown during the course of the game. She was so casual about it--I think she didn't realize that not everyone does that!

#85 of 151 Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamathistle View Post
First of all congrats to you for unschooling your 2 little ones! Sounds like you are off to a great start and learning a lot.

To answer your blogging question, I use the blog that is part of gmail, it's called blogspot. There are lots of back grounds to chose from, you can easily ad pics and I even figured out how to upload videos to youtube then post them in my blog. I think it's pretty easy and I'm a blogging newbie too.

I haven't posted this much this month at all. Last Saturday we had a big double birthday party for our kids. Dd's birthday is actually the day after tomorrow so we are just doing a small party Monday and giving her the presents from us.

Dd's cucumber plants are huge and we're starting to find baby cukes. She is so excited.

We've been buying on sale school supplies too. I've got her a new Hello Kitty back pack for only $2 the other day, then I got a bunch of workbooks at the $1 store (I'm not into workbooks, she loves them, lol), and some nice hardcover books at a goodwill type store. School doesn't start till Sept around here so I'm going to give them to her for her 1st day of 1st grade. Truthfully, we unschool all year, but she has friends who go to school so she wants to have a 1st day of school too.

Hopefully I'll keep up better with you all next month.
#86 of 151 Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

majikfaerie,

what can you tell me about capoeira? (Saw you mention it in another thread.) We've been watching a bunch of different youtube videos--ds2 used to take gymnastics classes and still loves to do it at home. He thinks Capoeira is really cool and tries to copy some of what we've seen. Do you have any favorite sites/videos?

#87 of 151 Old 08-12-2007, 01:07 PM

sorry :

#88 of 151 Old 08-12-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
YOU DO!!!
(in rainbow we say: If you see a job, its YOURS!"

#89 of 151 Old 08-12-2007, 06:27 PM

doulajewla, we posted about the same time and I didn't see your post about your ds and the school nurse until today. Wow. That sort of thing makes me go bat doody crazy on people. I had a run in with a school nurse a couple of years ago. Somehow everyone in our family ended up with what I still think was dysentery (we never really did know what it was despite numerous tests) and the school nurse gave me a hard time about my oldest dd not being at school (missing school is a cardinal sin, you know.) Apparently, I couldn't give her a good enough explanation and it ended up escalating to a full blown argument. Finally I asked her if she wanted me to send my kid with bloody diarrhea to school. She said of course not (duh!) So I told her to get off my back and if she didn't believe what I was telling her to call our doctor. Ugh, I still get mad thinking about it. It's a good thing we weren't face to face.: I have dealt so much with school personnel treating me like I'm a complete idiot, patronizing me and acting like they are the end all be all authority on my children. But I suppose I'm having the last laugh now, aren't I?

four little birds, my papermaking book is elsewhere at the moment. It is called Making Your Own Paper but the name of the author escapes me. I have all of our stuff set out to get on this but we've been busy for the last few days so everything is still sitting there. I'll do a post on what we're doing, step by step, and what is needed when we get on it. And thanks to you and 2 in August for the blog recommendations. I'm excited to get started on it!

So we've been super busy even though it is Africa hot here. Yesterday we went to a program put on by our local history museum, "Children's Games of the 1860's" was the theme. The kids had a blast playing with all of the stuff there. Their favorite was Graces. Last night we had to go out and buy wooden dowels and hoops to make our own set. Ds had kind of a hard time since his right arm is casted (only for 2 more weeks-yay!) so he could only use one stick. I think it will be a good game to help get his arm back to normal once the cast is off. We also bought Luna Sticks yesterday for that same reason. Dd has been playing with hers all day.

Dd made guacamole this afternoon and we've been feasting on that and the cantaloupe she grew.

We have also been catching lots of bugs and spiders lately. There have been a number which I have seen but never identified properly so this bug identification kick we've been on has been quite interesting to me. There have even been some that none of us have ever seen. Turns out they are not alien bugs, they've been here all along and they have names.

Every day I'm just so much more happy that we are not going back to school this year. Everyone is relaxed and happy. Now if I could just talk my oldest into not going...
#90 of 151 Old 08-12-2007, 06:49 PM

[QUOTE=mamathistle;8880247

Every day I'm just so much more happy that we are not going back to school this year. Everyone is relaxed and happy. Now if I could just talk my oldest into not going...[/QUOTE]

Oh my, yes! I wish with all my heart my 13 yr old wanted to remain a hser. Sometimes I am so dang angry at his school for being pleasant & interesting. I miss that little fellow some, although I know he's very happy and interesting and dang adorable. Curses you nice people at the nice $chool! :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page