Old 08-15-2007, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyn View Post
well-- i've still got y'all beat. i'm 47 and my one and only ds is 6 :

pamela

Ok, you rock and roll. Woo hooo. Can you do a cartwhell?

Kidding. Even I am stating to see stars. I never understood what that meant until like a yr ago. It's just like in the cartoons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 09:04 PM

heck no, i can't do a cartwheel! what do you take me for?

actually i never could do them. i'm fat and i was fat on and off as a child, but fat or no, i was never athletic. i ran around like the other kids when i was small, but hated gym class all my life and never did anything like that if i wasn't forced to.

pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 08-17-2007, 01:25 AM

when I was 42 weeks pg and just SICK of it, I convinced all my friends to come over and play soccer with me. after an hour running around with a ball... still no ctx, so I started doing cartwheels. the MW tsk-tsked me, but It felt great!
admittedly, I now realise that its not a good idea to risk a breech, or tangling one's baby... but still, now I can say i'm a pregnant cartwheeler

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Old 08-17-2007, 11:59 AM

I actually dreamed last night about doing cartwheels all over my yard. Many more than I could possibly do in real life without vomiting or breaking something.

Thanks for the good dreams!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 PM

cartwheels, lucky you! I dreamed about a scary alien invasion in which I was fighting to save the human race alongside the characters from LOST
I saved us all by making an amazing and intoxicating cocktail for the head alien, and thus winning his heart - usually I just dream about fiestabeth

Old 08-17-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
cartwheels, lucky you! I dreamed about a scary alien invasion in which I was fighting to save the human race alongside the characters from LOST
I saved us all by making an amazing and intoxicating cocktail for the head alien, and thus winning his heart - usually I just dream about fiestabeth
I've never seen LOST! Now I am curious. lol Right now, I am mourning the end of Hell's Kitchen. Gads, I love that show!! I love Chef. And I have picked the last two winners from the get go. Yeah, me.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
I've never seen LOST! Now I am curious. lol Right now, I am mourning the end of Hell's Kitchen. Gads, I love that show!! I love Chef. And I have picked the last two winners from the get go. Yeah, me.
I've never even heard of those shows I haven't had a TV for about ten years. We just watch Lost downloaded from eMule, coz a couple of friends raved about the show and I got addicted. I do recommend it if you like that sort of thing - just make sure you get the DVDs and marathon it, coz I'm sure waiting for ages for each episode to come out would drive anyone batty :

another thing... my 4yo DD started lying lately, just blatant ridiculous lies. I posted about it in GD, but I'm wondering what you unschoolers think. obviously I'm not doing punishments or 'consequences', I just want to tread very lightly here. Like the other day she was in the orchard with DP, and she wanted to feed tangerines to the cows. DP told her to feed them the tangerines that had fallen to the ground, and not the good ones off the tree. then she said "dad, turn around and dont look at me", which he did. then she came to him and showed him a perfect tree-picked tangerine, and said "I Found this on the ground".

so... responses?

Old 08-17-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
I try to do at least one cartwheel (sometimes more) each day, just to say I can. lol
I have never, in my entire life, successfully done a cartwheel. And now I really can't, thanks to a freak knee injury that I managed to obtain dancing in a pub one Thursday night in my early 20s. Of course, if I'm of the co-ordination level where I can manage to permanently shatter my knee by dancing in a pub, there's probably a good reason that I could never manage to do a cartwheel.

DS1's been drawing up a storm lately. He's always been extremely into drawing, painting, etc., but for the last few weeks it's been a real challenge just to keep him in paper! I'll go out and pick him up 150 large sheets of construction paper (3 packs from the teaching supply store), and within a week he'll have run out again. And that's in addition to his numerous drawings on normal computer printer paper, 3-holed, lined binder paper, and the lid of our kitchen garbage pail. He always draws such facinating stuff; it's so cool to see his artistic style continue to develop.

He labels some of his pictures now as well - mostly invented spelling, of course, and/or his name. He originally started drawing letters and numerals because he likes drawing and he likes letters. But this week he "read" me the writing on one of his drawings (a drawing of a steamshovel, and the text apparently said "The Big Thing" (Thanks, P.D. Eastman )), so apparently he's progressing from drawing letters to writing words.

DS2 is working on learning to crawl.

It was lovely weather today, so we hung out in the park for a while. DS1 made some new friends, DS2 did not-quite-mobile baby things, and I watched the clouds and had a lovely conversation with a nice probably-3-year-old girl there.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milakais View Post
And now I really can't, thanks to a freak knee injury that I managed to obtain dancing in a pub one Thursday night in my early 20s.
whoa! I also did a freak knee injury dancing in a bar when I was 19!!! I managed to tear both medial lateral ligaments, damage the cartilage and the meniscus, and bruise the bone in 2 places and dislodged my kneecap!
When I showed up in the emergency room, the dr asked me if it was a car accident, and wouldnt believe me when I told him I'd just been dancing. He started calling all these other doctors over to have a look, because it was so unbelieveable!
My leg was in a freaky metal contraption for 4 months - I was told that I needed to have 2 operations and might never walk again if I didnt do them. I was resisting all the medical stuff, my leg kept getting worse (no circulation past my knee at all, so my foot was getting purple and swollen). one doctor threatened me with amputation! of course, I didn't do the dr. thing, I took the metal thingy off myself (it was supposed to be on for 6 months), did a full program of reiki and herbal medicine (comfrey poultice) and forced myself to walk.

here we are, 9 years later, and its fine. It aches a bit when its going to rain, it creaks a bit... no problem I can even do cartwheels

Old 08-17-2007, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dd has been pretty busy lately with attending the last of our summer concert in the park series with friends. She's made an older friend, and it's been an interesting thing for us, perhaps for different reasons. I am working hard to trust that things are as they should be and we are talking a lot to keep the communication flowing. It can be tough to be the mom, yes? Today she had a younger friend come play and they walked to the park nearby. I love seeing her hang with older and then younger too.

Ds applied for another job today. He is really hoping that with school starting back up all the positions that teens are filling might open up and help him out a bit. He's trying to find a place that won't make him cut his hair or bead off (but mostly hair lol). We think its super crappy that the girls get to have long hair just tied back, but men have to cut it. :

Warm and humid but kinda nice today. The kids are upstairs playing X-Box and listening to something loud and reading. Ds is reading "Jarhead" I think.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 08-18-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
whoa! I also did a freak knee injury dancing in a bar when I was 19!!! I managed to tear both medial lateral ligaments, damage the cartilage and the meniscus, and bruise the bone in 2 places and dislodged my kneecap!
Wow! And I thought I was the only one! You're my busted-knee twin!

My injury sounds pretty similar, except that I didn't bruise the bone, and the doctor didn't give me specific information about which ligaments were damaged, but I did manage to shatter the back part of the end of my femur! It's mostly the ripped up femur that causes problems for me now, as I can't put any weight on it when my knee is flexed (which makes climbing stairs pretty sucky), and the torn meniscus, which keeps the knee from tracking properly. I've had 3 surgeries on it (just scopes), but apparently it's not the sort of thing they can fix or rebuild -- all they can do is go in and take out the shards of bone. : I really need to do something about it again soon -- it's been getting a lot worse recently.

My orthopedic surgeon kept teasing me, asking "What kind of dancing were you doing -- break dancing?" Ha. It might have been less un-funny if he didn't crack it at every appointment.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
another thing... my 4yo DD started lying lately, just blatant ridiculous lies. I posted about it in GD, but I'm wondering what you unschoolers think. obviously I'm not doing punishments or 'consequences', I just want to tread very lightly here. Like the other day she was in the orchard with DP, and she wanted to feed tangerines to the cows. DP told her to feed them the tangerines that had fallen to the ground, and not the good ones off the tree. then she said "dad, turn around and dont look at me", which he did. then she came to him and showed him a perfect tree-picked tangerine, and said "I Found this on the ground".

so... responses?

You know, my first response was that that was sweet. I assumed she wanted to give the cows the *good* tangerines, so found a way around the rule.

I'm eager to hear what other's say--I'm not really good with dealing with lying. Lots of childhood baggage there. But, this seems like maybe she was trying to do a good thing--for the cows. I'd probably acknowledge that I know it's from the tree (maybe explain how you can tell--can you tell?) or ask if she thinks the cows like them better than the ones on the ground or something. Then talk about why she can't feed them from the trees--maybe it seems like a random, unimportant rule to her?

Of course, maybe she was just being silly and playing a joke, yk?

It's not like some evil intent was there--and intent is a big deal to me.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:47 AM

majikfaerie, I have a feeling you're going to turn out to be one of those feisty old ladies like your MIL and my granny!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:18 AM

sagmom, I guess it wasnt the best example, and in this case, I'm not worried about losing tangerines (we have about 50 trees that are fruiting for our own private use right now). But we do try to keep the "good" tree fruit for people and give the fallen ones (of which we have an over-abundance) to the cows. The main point was the lying. she's been doing stuff like spilling a glass of milk and then looking up and saying some other kid did it (even when we are home alone). Or she just says "no its not" to statements I make. Like yesterday we saw a really cool bright yellow bi-plane flying low over us, and I said "hey! look at that yellow plane!" and she goes "that's a red plane" :
I think she's just experimenting with the limits of truth and fantasy, I dont have a huge problem with that per se, I'm just looking for ideas on how to deal with it

nomadmom, you should trust your feelings - seems like you're very intuitive

Old 08-18-2007, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think she's just experimenting with the limits of truth and fantasy,

When that's the case, I play along, maybe read her some tall tales and just have fun with the stage.

When it seems like the child is lying in order to protect themselves (something breaking or spilling) I try to keep it light so they see nothing bad happens when mistakes/accidents occur, but I'll still talk about honesty and trust. The thing I address most seriously is intended injury/harm.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:12 PM

ack...I always feel the need to delete when I get too personal....

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
Old 08-18-2007, 02:41 PM

(((mamaintheforest))) I do the same.

lying? Isn't that a developmental thing? I am sooo forgetful...Is 4 when kids do this?

I've read that kids around 7 and 8 and 9 start lying and even stealing. The way it manifests in my daughter? She is into playing tricks on us... but they aren't mean-spirited. I try to look at intention and she definitely isn't trying to hurt anyone. She does stuff like put a poo-colored and shaped stone on my bed and saying that the cat went poo on the bed. Then we laugh and I tell her, "wow, you got me!" (if she really did...sometimes she does!) Or she hides a piece of a jigsaw puzzle we are all working on and we don't notice it until close to the end. She always fesses up and gets the piece and it's good fun.

perhaps at 4, she is asserting her opinion, even when others perceive it as "wrong," (example: the plane being a totally different color in reality) and wanting to be heard and taken seriously. Or as you say, she could be experimenting in what happens when she describes something that isn't really "true," ie fantasy. It's interesting stuff, isn't it?
Old 08-18-2007, 03:09 PM

I completely forgot to relay this story from earlier today.

We were coming home from a long errand trip. Both my husband and I had groceries and bags and were so glad to be on our street finally. DD ran ahead of us to our building and waved a few times to us. Ahead, we saw an elderly man, an elderly woman and a younger man. The woman was pointing out buildings and commenting on them in English. Anyway, when they reached our building, we saw them talking to our dd. We came up right as the conversation came around to the woman asking her where her parents were. LOL

DD pointed at us and said, "right there!" Anyway, this woman told us she was visiting her son, the younger man, and began to ask us question after question. Um, couldn't she see we had bags to put down? Anyway, we were polite cuz we like to be and then dd piped up, "I'm homeschooled!" I have no idea why she added this but wanted to be a part of the conversation, I guess. The woman sputtered and did the usual thing about "how long?," "can you really DO that?" and "what about college?" Then dd started on about how she was glad we were her parents cuz when we have misunderstandings (I Love how she didn't say, "when I do something wrong"), we don't spank her. The woman replied, "Oh then you get to do whatever you want?" WHY On earth is that the flip of spanking? There's spanking and there's "doing whatever you want?"

I don't usually dissect conversations so much, especially not someone I just talk to on the street, but she really bugged me. First, she was asking my husband all these personal questions about his job and our lives and I was tired, just wanting to get into the building and sit the f down!

Anyway, it was interesting to see that she felt if dd wasn't spanked then she must be "running wild."
Old 08-18-2007, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post

Anyway, it was interesting to see that she felt if dd wasn't spanked then she must be "running wild."
Unfortunately, that's pretty common, ime. I've also had the experience where I feel people don't quite believe me when I've said that we don't spank or punish.

We're enjoying some cooler weather here--it's really fall-like, which I just love. Dd and I were working at the animal shelter this a.m. and I had a dog turn on me--she really freaked me out. Dd and I talk about which dogs she's comfortable with, and how important it is to know your limits, etc. and she's made wise choices about which dogs she works with, but I'm so glad she didn't take this dog out today. Another dog there just brought me to tears--she was removed from her owner, who said she'd had a litter, weaned them, and he gave them all away. No freakin way. This poor momma dog was standing there DRIPPING milk on the floor. Poor thing. This shelter work is such a roller coaster of emotions. One day we're celebrating because a dog went to a loving home and the next we're dealing with aggression due to abuse, or illness or having to put a dog down. sigh.

On a happier note, we've spent a lot of time with friends this week. Ds2 has a buddy who loves to play make-believe as much as he does, and it's so much fun to hear them playing. We went to the shore again for the day, Ds1 is still working and looking at furniture-making schools (one is in the state I've always wanted to move to--could it be a sign? ) He's also considering entering another archery tournament.

School around here starts up again right after Labor Day and I'm already seeing people scrambling to get their last bit of fun in before the summer ends. I feel badly for the kids, but at the same time, so very thankful that we're not a part of that.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:03 PM

I hope no one minds me jumping in here...but i am new to unschooling, but not new to homeschooling...and so far so good on the unschooling! its been wonderful and fantastic. But, my dh and i were talking about it the other day and he has concerns about math. He wonders how the kids are going to learn important math for college, if they should choose to go to college. To me, i loathe math. my entire childhood and teen years were spent in agony crying and crying because i just dont get it. never did. I passed with a 65 every year and that was only because I did my homework and showed up lol. to me it didnt help me or prepare me for real life. IF i had become an accountant, then it would have, but I never had a desire to deal with numbers so that would never have been an issue for me. What do you all do about math in the later teen years? we have no teenagers, but dh was wondering, thanks!

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
Old 08-19-2007, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulajewla View Post
He wonders how the kids are going to learn important math for college, if they should choose to go to college.
I always believed that, if my kids wanted to go to college, then we'd set about finding out what the admissions requirements were and fulfill them.

My oldest has no interest in college, but wants to pursue furniture making. A couple of years ago, he thought that a course in geometry would be helpful, so he started on that. While it's been good background info, DOING has always been a better way for him to learn. Of course, in order to build things, one needs to know fractions, measurements, angles, etc. etc. so he's been learning what he needs to as he goes. The schools he's looked at for this don't require formal classes in math--they're more interested in experience.

My dd wants to go to college. If she needs algebra/geometry, etc. she'll either work through a course at home, or take a community college course.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
What do you all do about math in the later teen years? we have no teenagers, but dh was wondering, thanks!
I have a 19 year old unschooled daughter and she never liked math. She never chose to do it much throughout her life other than what you would learn in every day situations. When she started community college (at 14) she noticed the math classes, but chose not to take any. Then, at 16, she decided to try one. She found that she still didn't like math, but she finished the class just fine.

My feeling all along was that my trust in her didn't stop once she entered her teen years. I trusted her when she was a baby and I still trusted her when she was older.

There is no doubt in my mind that a child who does love math or who is naturally more inclined to think in mathematical terms, would absolutely seek out ways to learn math. (and there are plenty of ways out there)

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
Old 08-19-2007, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Dh was concerned about the math too. Apparently, it's one of those things that just really freaks people out.

My kids did spend some time in public school, and they really disliked the way math was approached there. The general attitude was that "this is boring and sucky, I know, but we have to do it anyway so let's just get to it." As you can imagine that didn't really fire any one up. It was much the same way when I was in school and it really caused me to doubt my ability to do math and my relationship with numbers period. I was terrified of it by the 6th grade...hoping I would never ever be called on and etc.

For my kids I have tried to create a more relaxed thing. Numbers are part of life so we have no choice but to run into them. No biggie. Money, game scores, bills, coins, garage sales, playing with sets of things, grouping, and playing with the times tables, story problems, dice and more. It's all good. Sometimes Dd says that math is her worst subject, but she does like to get into it. Dd likes to take online practice standardized tests to see how she does. She did one a few weeks ago for 7th grade (the grade she technically would have just finished) and said she "was cool with the score". I have no clue what she scored but I am stoked she's happy with it. Happy with math.

I have been open and honest with the kids about how knowing certain things can make life easier. They both plan on college. They are willing to do the math to get where they want to go.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 08-19-2007, 07:38 PM

Thanks all I read the responses to dh and he feels a bit better, he wanted to make sure we were prepared, and my answer was why do we always have to be on a schedule or prepared? Life is not something you prepare for. but he wanted me to ask and I really didnt know the answer, but to me I figured we would do normal daily things and I know for a fact that we always run into math. counting blueberries at the patch dividing them among egg cartons and if we have 20 in each slot and there are 12 slots how many do we have..normal stuff. im not worried about it, but the responses just added to what i thought and made me more comfortable. in other words, i feel i have support! I also figured that maybe my children wont want to go to college. I never had an interest, not once. I definitely did not want to go to college, instead I went to BOCES which is a vocational school during high school and i was fine with that. I didnt really enjoy my job though and soon found the best job ever, being a mom and a doula! And to be a doula, you dont have to take a course, though you can and it looks better. My daughter, who is 7 told me she wanted to catch babies when she gets older. If this interest still carries over when shes older, i will have her come to births as my junior doula in training lol! i want them to find something that they will love doing---not become a nurse like I did just because everyone in my family was a nurse and it looked good and made money. Id rather made little money and be happy than make alot and be miserable. I want them to nourish their interests and I can definitely support that.

When i was younger (17) I left home. I was with my boyfriend who later became my husband. When confronted with my mother once after I'd left, she said to me, with him in the car, "Why would you want to take the road you are taking? If you come home, I can give you more, I can buy you a new car, Ill pay for college and I'll get your rich ex boyfriend to go back out with you so you wont have to worry about money. You are taking the peanut butter road with him, come home and you can take the lobster road. Why take peanut butter when you can take lobster?" and my response was "Because Im allergic to lobster and love trumps money." and i left. Unlike my mother, I dont believe my children need to find tons of money to be happy, just enough to be comfortable and doing what they are passionate about and if they wish, share it with someone they love. That is how life should be and this is an important lesson I will teach my children

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulajewla View Post
i want them to find something that they will love doing---not become a nurse like I did just because everyone in my family was a nurse and it looked good and made money. Id rather made little money and be happy than make alot and be miserable. I want them to nourish their interests and I can definitely support that.
It's nice to read this. I recently related ds's future plans to a relative. I was pretty stoked that he's exploring careers and is so enthusiastic about his plans. When I was finished talking, this relative frowned and said, "I don't know...is there much opportunity in that? Will he be able to make enough money? I think he'd be better off going to college."

It didn't discourage me or ds, but it did bring me down a little. I really believe in doing what you love, first. I've seen too many people take jobs because the salary was great, but then they turned out to be miserable, but stuck with it because of the money. It's a stressful way to live, and not much fun.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:39 AM

yes it is miserable, i found that out the hard way. but we are always equipped with the ability to change! i mean ,really if i worked full time as an RN like my mother wanted me to do, id be making lots in addition to the nice salary dh makes.....and we'd have too much money lol......but im comfortable living and appreciating what makes life so special instead of buying stuff we dont need to survive and be happy. I never was a materialistic person, never will be I hope that this quality in myself and my husband rubs off on our children, that is a great gift for them, to realize what is REALLY important in life, not how much money you make or things you have, but who you love and being happy and full and comfortable.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:28 AM

I'm feeling so down lately, about our area...
we live in a VERY crunchy area, I guess the australian equivalent of northern california. its all organic farms and sustainable communities and hippies and alternative people and waldorf schools and crystal shops... etc.
pretty much everyone around here is ultra-alternative, AP, organic eating, everything.
BUT when it comes to education, they're all pretty mainstream. those who dont want their kids in public school (and most of them do) put their kids in the Steiner (waldorf) school (there's 2 steiner schools in our neighbourhood).
people... my FRIENDS are downright opposed to HSing, let alone UNschooling.

sorry... I just needed to vent a bit, I wont rave on

Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 AM

Ugh. That is so frustrating. There is a Waldorf school close by to us too. Everyone keeps asking me why I don't enroll them there if ps is so bad. Lots of reasons, one being the $1200 a month it would cost to have them there. I feel your pain. I've been getting some serious flack for this decision to unschool.

On a brighter note, we went to our first play day with the local hsing group yesterday. Dd had an awesome time and made a new friend. Ds was a little out of sorts and I think was a bit overwhelmed by all the kids but I think he'll warm up. I loved it, everyone there was so friendly and it was just nice to be in an environment where I could talk about what we're doing with no hostility and even got encouragement. Wow, what a concept!

Everything is going well. I just wish I had about 6 more hours in the day though.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

bump

Old 08-25-2007, 02:02 AM

where did everybody go? every time I check there's tumbleweed in here!

DD got a portable DVD player this week (so she wont mess with the new laptop that I got ) so we havent seen too much of her. she's not really into watching the movies, that fad is over, but she has to try out every single movie we have (about 150) on her new player. but she gets bored of watching so much, so she'll watch about 1/2 a movie, if that, and then put another one on. anyway its been raining constantly for a week now, I even got flooded in. so there's not much else to do.

User Tag List