**August Unschooling** - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2007, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry I haven't checked in in awhile. As much as I totally love the idea of unschooling, I think dd needs a little bit of structure. She is begging for real school and I'm unwilling to let her go (she's only 6). She's such a free spirit and has no problems with treating adults as equals and expecting the same in return. I know school would crush her. She's so sensitive too and all the stuff that goes on in school would not be good for her (I'm a former teacher so I know first hand what she'd be subjected too.) Plus when I really talk to her about it, she doesn't want to leave home. She's kind of scared about being gone all day (totally understandable).

All this is leading to some pretty big beh problems with her too. I almost feel like I give her too much freedom and she can't handle it, so she acts out so that I'll pull her back in. I don't ignore her, I just let her chose what she wants to do. She knows what her choices are for food, toys, tv, etc and I let her move from activity to activity however she wants throughout the day. But she is almost picking fights with me. She'll ask questions and then either tell me I'm wrong or ask the same question over and over. She'll do things that she knows she shouldn't and then gets upset when she is asked to stop. Dh even said the other day that maybe we should send her to school for awhile so she sees how good she has it here at home. I don't want to do that. I know she wouldn't handle it well.

So I'm going to do a bit of structure within our unschoolishness to see if this will help her out. I sat down yesterday and made up a rough schedule for our days (well at least M/W/F when we don't go to activities in the mornings). There is still plenty of playtime and free time, but there is a bit of a structure to it too. I hope it helps her feel better, more in control so that she can enjoy herself again. The past couple weeks have been miserable for her. The worst part is that she is making herself miserable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List