*~*September Unschooling Support!*~* - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 152 Old 09-14-2007, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Today Dd learned that the batteries for her MP3 player were dead. That sucked.

Naw, we learn lots of stuff. Sometimes even history or math. It can be hard to get out of that mode though. "What if they never learn how to diagram a sentence? Recite the preamble to something blahtotallynotimportantright now?" I've mostly learned to say "who cares" to that stuff, but we all have our moments I think.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#122 of 152 Old 09-14-2007, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
funny !
well lets see what we learned today(yesterday was a horrible day so we wont go into that lol)....today we started our day with breakfast. i ended up cooking it of course, but usually ds does that on his own. dd(7yrs) didnt want to do squat lol. then we did one postcard (we trade) and read through the new ones and put them away in the book. dd(7) loved the alligators. went food shopping and ds chose a new fish item that was interesting. actually he cooked it and it was awesome! we always try new things then in the car ds was saying how he was going to show his friend his precisely new book...then he goes um wait what does precisely mean? I said well its a synonym for exact or exactly....then he goes well whats a synonym for almost that starts with a p? i couldnt for the life of me think of one! finally i found one in my little brain and i said hey how about practically? he was excited and was like THATS THE WORD! and he said ill show my friend my PRACTICALLY new book lol. he has a way with words...sometimes he says things an adult would normally say...im always learning from my kids dd(7) went to a friends bday campfire bday party and i went to get her later and she was sitting with a friend on the side of a hill just hanging out and she said bye and then the mom came over and said oh jasmine was fine but her friend got upset, so instead of playing like jasmine was doing, she spent the rest of the night sitting by her friends side. I asked my dd and she said yeah, her friend was sad because everyone in her class was making fun of her, at the party and at school, so she said she just sat with her to make her feel better. I was really proud of my daughter....sometimes she can be a little selfish...but it shows here how compassionate and wonderful she is becoming I think if anything, THAT is the most important part of HER curriculum lol!

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#123 of 152 Old 09-15-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
NCUnschoolers is a pretty active group. We have over 500 members. There are folks in the Raleigh triangle area. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NCUnschoolers/

Pat
Thanks WuWei!! I just joined.
#124 of 152 Old 09-19-2007, 05:55 PM

How is everyone doing?

Today Dom wanted to test his reading skills.

:

:

SO we went to www.test4free.com and did the online quick test. He tested a little low for the phonics portion but in 3rd grade for comprehension.

We have unschooled only for his reading.....though my kids love doing phonics stuff.

I was because we are going through ALOT right now (health issues for me, pending court with Dom's bio dad with homeschooling an issue,etc) Thsi kinda was like a pat on the back that we are in God's will and doing EXACTLY what we are suppose to be doing......trusting in HIM! :

I do not care about the "grade level" but it really reassured me in a time of so much upheaval.

Kids WILL learn and thrive dispite craziness, moves, illnesses, financial struggles. You don't need a plan.....God already has one written out for you. :

Thanks for letting me blab!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#125 of 152 Old 09-19-2007, 10:56 PM

Glad you had a happy pick me up moment Angel Bee! Those are so wonderful.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#126 of 152 Old 09-24-2007, 03:35 AM

*peeks in*

Can I join in? My DS is only 2 1/2 but I figure I may as well jump in now.

DS is SN and non-verbal but he's VERY into all the things pre-schoolers are "traditionally" taught. He learned the signs for all his colors shortly after he turned 2 (and within a week after the first time I showed him even though I didn't think he'd even get it) and he's obsessed with letters, numbers, and animals. He loves to learn (and label, label, label!).

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#127 of 152 Old 09-24-2007, 05:12 AM

Teensy teensy brag. My daughter, nearly 9, has been unschooled in reading and writing (among other things ). Today, she showed me a little story she wrote for some children's chat site. She used a colon and other punctuation correctly. She correctly used "your" and "you're" as well, except she spelled the latter, "you'r." I am about to burst! But I'm trying to play it cool and just gave her a smile and told her I enjoyed the story and her use of punctuation.

edited cuz der, misspell
#128 of 152 Old 09-25-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Kids WILL learn and thrive dispite craziness, moves, illnesses, financial struggles.
Yes, they will -- my kids are proof because we've been through all those things!

We are slowly getting back to "normal" after a wild summer and a recent visit from my mom and her husband who came over from the U.S.

The kids and I were playing a trivia game yesterday, and I learned a new word: archipelago. I was impressed that ds knew what it meant, and he was equally surprised that I didn't ('cause moms know everything, lol). Dd got the question, "What's it called in bowling when you knock down all 10 pins at once?" She answered correctly, we went off on a tangent and some how found ourselves 20 minutes later deep in conversation about romance languages! I've posted before about how that happens when you just sit and talk. So fun to see where it takes you.

Last night, I listened to a mom expressing anxiety and frustration because her dd has ambitions of being a vet and needs to take her school work more seriously. I nodded politely, but internally was doing this Her dd is 10! She's a lovely mom and I know she wants the best for her dd, but can't a kid just play any more? It's hard not to get sucked into that thinking here because there's so much pressure on kids to make decisions about their futures at a ridiculously young age. My ds is 16 now and is only just starting to think about what he wants to "be" (besides a rock legend, of course!). I don't understand what the hurry is.
#129 of 152 Old 09-25-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
Teensy teensy brag. My daughter, nearly 9, has been unschooled in reading and writing (among other things ). Today, she showed me a little story she wrote for some children's chat site. She used a colon and other punctuation correctly. She correctly used "your" and "you're" as well, except she spelled the latter, "you'r." I am about to burst! But I'm trying to play it cool and just gave her a smile and told her I enjoyed the story and her use of punctuation.

edited cuz der, misspell
That's wonderful Kara! Heck, I often dork up the your/you're thing myself lol. Congrats to her on her story and punctuation success.

#130 of 152 Old 09-25-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadmom View Post
She answered correctly, we went off on a tangent and some how found ourselves 20 minutes later deep in conversation about romance languages! I've posted before about how that happens when you just sit and talk. So fun to see where it takes you.
I just love that too! We start off talking about one thing and then it leads to another which leads to us looking something up and then talking about that thing. I kid you not, we went from trans fats to fruit salad to condoms the other day.

Quote:
but can't a kid just play any more? It's hard not to get sucked into that thinking here because there's so much pressure on kids to make decisions about their futures at a ridiculously young age. My ds is 16 now and is only just starting to think about what he wants to "be" (besides a rock legend, of course!). I don't understand what the hurry is.
I hear you. My son is also 16, and people are so restless at the idea that he is "almost 18" and without a clear plan or some such thing. I'm just thinking, give the kid a break... you only get this short period of time to be a kid or a teen, and I want him to really get to live it instead of worrying all the time. We talk about college studies around the corner and what he wants to "do". He is applying for part time jobs to get some money to play with, but he's just enjoying his age right now.

#131 of 152 Old 09-25-2007, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
but he's just enjoying his age right now.
I think this is a new concept for many people. When kids are in an artifical learning environment, it's natural for it to feel like: ok, you're 18 now, graduated from highschool, NOW what are you going to do?! Hurry up and chooose!!!!

When you're unschooling, it's very natural to continue on as you always have; respecting the slow and steady process of moving towards a point in life where you are ready to set up your own housekeeping and branch out a little on your own.

I think unschooling is beautiful because it honors the individual child and choices about life don't have to be so cut and dried.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#132 of 152 Old 09-26-2007, 04:41 PM

So so true Mama!

We had dinner guests lastnight that were pretty unfamiliar with homeschooling, and totally unfamiliar with unschooling. I never used the word "unschool" but they were so shocked by my description of what we do (or don't do!) Her son is in 4th grade and has ADHD I guess so she said that school had been rough, but that they were hoping for better due to a new medication.

Dd was online writing a story when they got here, and she opted to eat her dinner at the computer. They were asking "Oh, does she have to get her homework done?" and "You get to eat at the computer?" :

#133 of 152 Old 09-26-2007, 10:05 PM

<<When you're unschooling, it's very natural to continue on as you always have; respecting the slow and steady process of moving towards a point in life where you are ready to set up your own housekeeping and branch out a little on your own.

I think unschooling is beautiful because it honors the individual child and choices about life don't have to be so cut and dried.>>

Mama, I love the light you put unschooling in, it always inspires me to relax and trust my child (and myself!) thank you!

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
#134 of 152 Old 09-27-2007, 03:44 PM

Having a rough day and really doubting myself and my kids today

Just needed a hug and some reassurance.

Dom is having trouble with spelling so he avoids writing things himself. I just am having trouble supporting him without getting discouraged because he seems to have no desire to improve. He just wants others to write it for him. I told him no this time. I do not feel like writing it out for him. He could just write it out the best he could. Which led to an agrument as Dom is now made at me.

I need to balance myself in the picture too.

I offered to help him through a "spelling list" of the most common words to maybe boost his confidence in attempting to spell. Going slowly right now and can still feel the tension.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#135 of 152 Old 09-27-2007, 04:55 PM

I'm sorry it's a rough day. Take deep breaths and get a cup of coffee!

First of all, I think it's okay that he doesn't want to "work on it" or try to improve right now. Really. However, it's also okay for you to say that you don't want to write something at the moment. You have the right to that space.

Some thoughts:
*Alphabet tiles and magnets can allow him to "write" without really having to write.
*He can cut letters out of magazine pages
*You can arrange a time that you will be available to write for him
*He can type in WORD or something on the computer.

And even though I am sure you are already doing this, make sure he knows that you're there to help him work on anything when he is ready to do that. "I know that writing has been frustrating for you. When you feel ready to try more I will be here if you need me to show you anything." Him not wanting to write is so so common, particularly in boys his age. My Ds was the very same way. He's 16 now and can write fine, but he prefers to type whenever possible. Time will pass and Dom may end up having gorgeous flowing penmanship and love to write. He may have decent handwriting and just write as needed. He may have not so great handwriting, but he can convey his thoughts okay and prefer to type. These things work out in the end! He's so little yet and he has so much time to explore and develop this skill.

#136 of 152 Old 09-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Dar

Why didn't you want to write it for him? Writing words is so much harder when you have to stop and think about spelling all of the time, especially if it's important to you to spell them all conventionally, so it seems like that would have been the easiest solution. If you're not writing for him in an effort to get him to do it for himself, I think it will backfire. He will when he's ready.

If he was asking you and you didn't have a free hand, one thing I did for a while when Rain was younger is keep a 4x6 index card around, where I wrote all of the words she asked me how to spell. We kept it around, and she could often find the word she wanted already on the card... and if not, I wrote it there for her, so she could find it next time. She also sometimes checked in books where she knew the word was written. Or would he be okay with you spelling it orally for him, if your hands are full but you can talk? I guess I'm not sure if it's the physical act of writing that's the bigger problem, or his frustration with spelling?

I think typing it in word is a great idea, too...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#137 of 152 Old 09-27-2007, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

<<< angelbee >>>

It's ok to not write something out for him if you don't feel like it, or can't for any reason.

I've got a boy that doesn't like to write. He liked using the alphabet tiles from our scrabble game to make words, and then a month or so ago I bought one of those magnetic refrigerator poetry. He loves playing with the words in that - and there are a lot of words. The words are also more advanced & unusual so he's been fascinated with those. He likes to bring one over to me to tell him what it is...& I can always read it to him no matter what else I'm doing.

I think it's ok that he's not ready to improve right now. He's only 6 mama. He'll probably eventually want to improve some, and he will.

#138 of 152 Old 09-27-2007, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Mama, I love the light you put unschooling in, it always inspires me to relax and trust my child (and myself!) thank you!
Aw, thank you mama!

#139 of 152 Old 09-27-2007, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Dom is having trouble with spelling so he avoids writing things himself. I just am having trouble supporting him without getting discouraged because he seems to have no desire to improve. He just wants others to write it for him. I told him no this time. I do not feel like writing it out for him. He could just write it out the best he could. Which led to an agrument as Dom is now made at me.
I just started reading John Holt's Learning All the Time. It really addresses this sort of thing and I think you would find it very reassuring.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#140 of 152 Old 09-27-2007, 10:19 PM

Not that this should matter...and I own every book Holt ever wrote ...but he never had a child. Not one. Not ever. He was the teacher who knew everything.

Just sayin' --he never had to deal with certain things...and that's *ok*. He was still cool and all. Just he never lost a moment's sleep and never had to buckle any cranky pants into a car seat, or decide whether he should have a cell or car keys--- although I am sure John would have given his kid car keys and a cell of the child wanted them...He never had to worry whether his child would follow his path to Hahvahd or nothin'.
#141 of 152 Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Not that this should matter...and I own every book Holt ever wrote ...but he never had a child. Not one. Not ever. He was the teacher who knew everything.
What I'm running into, reading his books (I read How Children Learn previously) is everything he is pointing out is what I have noticed with DS. So I am finding it very affirmative that someone who studied more than one child noticed the same things that I have noticed with my one and with my own experiences and memories of learning

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#142 of 152 Old 09-28-2007, 06:11 AM

DD has been having so much fun with a magnetic poetry kit. We put it on a heating unit not being used in our living room. She sits on a cushion and just makes up phrases...she's having fun.

What she especially likes to do is put "thought bubbles" above her Scooby Doo magnets. I sometimes wonder if she'll be a cartoonist in her later years or at least do it for a hobby because she is constantly creating cartoon panels and coming up with ideas for comics.

Anyway, here is one of her poems from yesterday:

"Winter day storm
Smear your dream
when she can put sky to a lazy beat."

We are having so much fun lately. The weather is dreary so we've been doing lots of snuggling and reading and watching movies. She just saw "The Red Shoes" for the first time. I love that movie. Also, we introduced her to the old show "Wild, Wild West." She thinks it's ok but likes old Addams Family episodes better.

I introduced her to Calvin & Hobbes as well and she is going nuts over the books! She also got three new Tintin comics and has been buried in those, reading and re-reading them.

My husband just got back from his trip and brought back a lot of books and movies we ordered and had sent to the US. So it's been like Christmas here!
#143 of 152 Old 09-28-2007, 06:20 AM

Oh how we love Calvin and Hobbes! My kids just went through all those books time and time againe. I hope she enjoys.

#144 of 152 Old 09-28-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Why didn't you want to write it for him?
Welll....kinda complicated .:

1) I did not feel like it at the time.

2) I was a bit frustratd that he is not willing to try at all.

3) We are pending to go to court with his bio dad who WILL expect him to be able to write out/spell certain things.

It is hard because this stress is compromising our beliefs. Dom and I even decided to do a curriculum workbook so that we have a good paper trail. It hurts me. It hurts Dom. Now it may be causing me to be defensive.

#145 of 152 Old 09-28-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Welll....kinda complicated .: snip 1)
hurts me. It hurts Dom. Now it may be causing me to be defensive.
Oh, Anglea. That makes me want to open some big can of Whoop Ass on your ex. You are such a thoughtful mama, and I am sorry you have to worry like that. Dom is lucky to have you.
#146 of 152 Old 09-28-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Oh, Anglea. That makes me want to open some big can of Whoop Ass on your ex. You are such a thoughtful mama, and I am sorry you have to worry like that. Dom is lucky to have you.
Thank you :

#147 of 152 Old 09-28-2007, 03:49 PM

I'm so sorry Angela. If you feel like the paper trail is important, just help him breeze through the worksheets. All you really need is a few stuck away in a folder. You can make it fun too like drawing his favorite book character or TV show character and then writing a few words (you can help) on why he likes them. It might be enough to satisfy your ex. (Who sounds just so so pleasant, btw. I am sorry this is a tough time for you and Dom. Hang in there!

I hope today is a brighter day, writing wise and otherwise!

#148 of 152 Old 09-30-2007, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It is hard because this stress is compromising our beliefs. Dom and I even decided to do a curriculum workbook so that we have a good paper trail. It hurts me. It hurts Dom. Now it may be causing me to be defensive.
Mama, I'm sorry you & he are having to go through this. Dom knows you are his protector & his safe harbor. You're doing a very good job!

#149 of 152 Old 09-30-2007, 04:49 PM

Hope things are going okay Angela!

Today is a rainy rainy day here. I do love it. I am in my too big for me pajama pants and drinking a cup of coffee with almond milk. I'm sitting on the floor at the end of my Ds's bed using his computer, because Dd claimed the downstairs one before I got up. Ds is in his bed claiming to be awake, but he's a big fibber lol.

Lots of chores for me to get done today, the biggest being vacuuming both floors of the house, including the stairs. Phew! I've got some research to do for an article as well. Ds is applying for another job I think, and Dd is writing a fan fic or reading one, I can't tell.

Dh is watching, what else, but football. He's a fan and though I am definitely not, I do like to see him so into it. Hope all is well for the unschoolers today.

#150 of 152 Old 09-30-2007, 05:12 PM

I feel much more relaxed I went to a homeschooling conference with Sandra Dodd yesterday. After talking to a few unschooling mamas, Sandra, and her daughter Holly..... (plus all of you here ) I am feeling MUCH better. :

I have a bunch of chores to do too.....but I am busy watching the Vikings

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page