*~*September Unschooling Support!*~* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 152 Old 09-01-2007, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: Welcome mamas! Join in on the support! :

I was just reading a great site today...perhaps everyone's seen it, but here is the Joyfully Rejoicing site:

http://joyfullyrejoycing.com/unschoo...hilosophy.html

She has some fantastic question & answer columns that are great for explaining to people what unschooling looks like.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 152 Old 09-01-2007, 06:28 PM

I adore Joyce's site!

We're getting all packed up for our road trip to the Live and Learn conference in NC. We're very excited!

I can't believe its Septemeber already! It's 95 degrees outside right now!

Joyfully- Laura
radically unschooling 3 awesome kids
#3 of 152 Old 09-01-2007, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yay fall is coming!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#4 of 152 Old 09-01-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoyfulMom View Post
I adore Joyce's site!

We're getting all packed up for our road trip to the Live and Learn conference in NC. We're very excited!

I can't believe its Septemeber already! It's 95 degrees outside right now!

So are we! I can't believe the conference is finally here!! Woohoo!

We have to drive over 600 miles to get there, should be an adventure....

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#5 of 152 Old 09-01-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post
So are we! I can't believe the conference is finally here!! Woohoo!

We have to drive over 600 miles to get there, should be an adventure....

Katherine
We're driving almost 750! It's going to be a great adventure.

Is this your first conference?

Joyfully- Laura
radically unschooling 3 awesome kids
#6 of 152 Old 09-01-2007, 11:28 PM

Wow what a bountiful site!

Thanks for the link.
#7 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 12:38 AM

I have never subbed to these monthly "unschoolers support" threads because I didn't feel I would be an active contributer, just a "taker."

So, don't mind me. I do read regularly and now I feel drawn to subbing. G'head, carry on with all your wisdom and practical advice, the stuff for which I am so grateful. I am now officially watching! (and hopefully participating on a regular basis )

:
#8 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
G'head, carry on with all your wisdom and practical advice, the stuff for which I am so grateful. I am now officially watching!

Welcome!

#9 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoyfulMom View Post
We're driving almost 750! It's going to be a great adventure.

Is this your first conference?
Our third! I feel like an old-timer now! We were at St. Louis and ABQ too (took an Amtrak from MI to Chicago to NM for that one....so fun...) We will be staying in the BRC.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#10 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 02:58 AM

: subbing and hello to everyone!
#11 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 07:53 AM

I hope everyone who goes to the conference will post their stories here for those of us not going!!

Have a great time!

We've had a very busy week, and things will start to calm down...oh...around next Sunday, lol.

While at the animal shelter yesterday, dd was working with a puppy for quite a while and one of the women in charge commented, "That's good, she needs the socialization." I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing. There were so many comments running through my head about THAT juxtaposition, but I had no one to share them with at the moment.

We have Faire tomorrow and everyone is excited--the weather is supposed to be perfect and quite a few of our friends are also going, so it should be fun.

I ran into a woman last week (week before?) who saw me checking out an armload of picture books from the library. When she found out they were for my 7 y/o, she said, "Oh, he'll be starting 2nd grade. They're going to tell you to stop reading picture books now and read chapter books to him."

"They" meaning the school, of course. And I thought, my oldest loved hearing chapter books from an early age, my middle child was reading chapter books herself at this age, but my youngest isn't ready for chapter books yet. I'm so glad that no one is going to be telling me that I "need" to do anything with him, except what I already know he likes and needs, yk? Just another one of those times where I give a sigh of relief that we're not involved in the system.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#12 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Banned

Hi Laura! Hi Katherine! See you at the conference!

We are leaving today. It will take us almost 3 days to get to NC in the RV from NH. We packed last night. The kids are so looking forward to this trip! Although I love our rich pantry of friends, I am thrilled to be able to hang out with other Radical Unschoolers for almost a week! Total Bliss!!

I am hosting the "Unschooling Advocates" discussion on Thursday. Hope to see you there! I am bringing chocolates!

~Peace & Love, Dayna Martin
#13 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagMom View Post

While at the animal shelter yesterday, dd was working with a puppy for quite a while and one of the women in charge commented, "That's good, she needs the socialization."
Perhaps she meant the puppy "needs the socialization". Because they do, especially coming from a shelter.

Pat

I have a blog.
#14 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 10:20 AM

Hi!

Listening in and contributing where appropriate.

Favorite quote du jour:

No use to shout at them to pay attention. If the situations, the materials, the problems before the child do not interest him, his attention will slip off to what does interest him, and no amount of exhortation of threats will bring it back.
John Holt

Maryhippie.gif

#15 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Perhaps she meant the puppy "needs the socialization". Because they do, especially coming from a shelter.

Pat
OH, yes, I know that's what she meant. ANY puppy, sheltered or not, would need that. But since we hear so much about others' concerns for our children's "socialization" I found it funny. (My unsocialized unschooler is responsible for socialization at the shelter, yk?) It struck me as funny at the time, but maybe you had to be there.

#16 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagMom View Post
OH, yes, I know that's what she meant. ANY puppy, sheltered or not, would need that. But since we hear so much about others' concerns for our children's "socialization" I found it funny. (My unsocialized unschooler is responsible for socialization at the shelter, yk?) It struck me as funny at the time, but maybe you had to be there.
I see! The irony!!

Pat

I have a blog.
#17 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I see! The irony!!

Pat
totally OT, but Pat is this you from Explore and Discover??! I'm Chrissy, we were at your house on Monday!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#18 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 12:44 PM

Hey Chrissy! Yes, we were delighted to meet you all Monday. The boys (dh and ds) are off bowling today and we're going to Carowinds waterpark tomorrow. Are you all going to the zoo with the Explore group on Tuesday?

Pat

I have a blog.
#19 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 12:49 PM

we were delighted to meet you as well! and i am so in love with your yard, i keep trying to think how we could make ours half as cool! we are leaning towards going to the zoo, just a little concerned about the heat and the drive (with rowan). are you guys going?

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#20 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 01:10 PM

Yes. We are planning to go. The Columbia weather looks like only about 85 degrees around noon. The animals are close enough to view, so we'll only spend an hour or two there. Carrying your baby would be HOT though. The paths are paved if he likes the stroller (is that heresy to say here? ). Erik only liked to be carried until...well still.

The Lazy 5 Ranch is my favorite outing. If you don't do the zoo, be sure to come to Lazy 5! I LOVE it!! Lazy 5 is much easier than the zoo with three children also.

back to your regularly scheduled living and learning. :

Pat

I have a blog.
#21 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 02:11 PM

: Can I hang out with y'all? :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#22 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 08:59 PM

I'm subbing.

Right now, my oldest son is into all things biology. We started some owl pellets on Friday. My 3 year old only lasted 5 or 10 minutes. Ds1 and I were both hunched over our pellets until we finally had to give up for the day. He keeps asking me to get them out again (always when I'm half-awake). We've just been busy in the last few days. We did the park on one day and visited family today. Anyway, we're both anxious to get the owl pellets out again and work on them.

One of the cool things about him being really into biology is that it was something that I was really into when I was a kid. For me, however, I didn't really have anyone to share it with. And my parents, who meant really well, just didn't share it with me or nurture my interest. Ds1 and I are having a blast doing biology stuff together and chatting about it. I'm teaching him and he's teaching me and we're learning together. It's so much fun!
#23 of 152 Old 09-02-2007, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can't wait for fall here.. so sick of the heat. But I also get nostalgic for those late spring/early summer days.

We've been doing lots of reading, and doing a few cultural activities when Colwyn feels like it. He now tells me, "I love Ethiopia!"

Today we went to a family cookout, and when we were leaving, he said goodbye to his cousin, Dan. He said something like, "Goodbye, Dan! Bye, Dan! Bye, Dan Yaccarino! Dan Yaccarino!" Dan Yaccarino is his favorite author.

We just discovered Between the Lions and Zula Patrol, and Colwyn's been having a lot of fun pretending to be "Zuma Patrol."

I'm working on getting us set up with a few other homeschooling families with little kids. Hopefully we'll be able to plan some fun activities for everyone. We used to do tours of the fire station and stuff with our playgroup, but now all the older kids are in preschool, so I don't know if stuff like that will happen this year.

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
#24 of 152 Old 09-03-2007, 12:16 AM

Hello everyone!

We have been having some fun weekends...visited a children's science museum last weekend, and a train museum this weekend. Plan on visiting a historic village in two weeks also...fun stuff!

We are excited by fall and all of the cool stuff that goes with it. Farm visits, apple picking, hayrides, nature walks with changing leaves, pumpkin picks...and no more crowds during the week when we get out and about!

creative mom of two free-spirited boys (03/03, 11/04) : unschooling, nature loving, crafting, making, passion following family ribbonjigsaw.gif
#25 of 152 Old 09-03-2007, 12:59 AM

This weekend found us a bit busy, unexpectedly. Dd is off with her best friend for a sleep over. Her friend starts school next week and the girls wanted a fun send off for summer. They are going to see how late they can stay up and I imagine there will be junk food consumed in larger than normal quantities.

Ds has been revisiting an old online game (Realms of Despair). He is taking a semi break from Guild Wars. He's also writing for an RP, and some short stories that he describes as semi Lovecraft-ian. "You know, just your average soft romance horror sci fi thing." Sure. Right. Of course I'd know that. Who doesn't...

I've been really sick and battling some heavy infections. I may have to head into be seen again, but I haven't decided yet. I've been "sick" (as in diagnosed with immune system illness) for a number of years, but lately it's been a tough road. On the plus side I have an automatic reason for declinging every and any social function I don't feel like attending and I get to sit on the couch a lot and drink tea and stuff.

Dh is on the road, and back again next weekend we hope.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#26 of 152 Old 09-03-2007, 02:50 AM

I'm feeling like such a slacker. Really, I'm not. This whole unschooling thing is just so convenient. I feel like I'm cheating.

I've found owl pellets in the backyard, which of course we had to dig into. A few days ago we watched cicadas crawl out of the ground, climb trees or whatever they were closest to, and hatch. There is so much that we're doing during the course of the day and it is easy. So much easier than getting up at the crack of dawn, stressing about getting everyone to school on time, everyone having backpacks and homework, etc. Somebody pinch me.

Ok, back to your discussion. I just had to share that thought and this seemed like the place to do it.
#27 of 152 Old 09-03-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamathistle View Post
here is so much that we're doing during the course of the day and it is easy. So much easier than getting up at the crack of dawn, stressing about getting everyone to school on time, everyone having backpacks and homework, etc. Somebody pinch me.

Ok, back to your discussion. I just had to share that thought and this seemed like the place to do it.

You bet this is the place! Isn't it great?! Instead of frantic rushing you get living your way. Sweet.

#28 of 152 Old 09-03-2007, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've been really sick and battling some heavy infections. I may have to head into be seen again, but I haven't decided yet. I've been "sick" (as in diagnosed with immune system illness) for a number of years, but lately it's been a tough road.
That is rough. I hope your system kicks this stuff quick & you get your energy back. Mama, do you use herbs as part of your care?

#29 of 152 Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=UnschoolnMa;9071684]... but lately it's been a tough road.

I'm sorry, that sucks. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Quote:
I'm feeling like such a slacker. Really, I'm not. This whole unschooling thing is just so convenient. I feel like I'm cheating.
Yes, it's quite a difference from other ways of living, isn't it? Even when we're super busy I don't feel as harried as I did when we were involved in school--for me, it's because there's a sense of control of our own time.

#30 of 152 Old 09-03-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:

I've found owl pellets in the backyard, which of course we had to dig into. A few days ago we watched cicadas crawl out of the ground, climb trees or whatever they were closest to, and hatch. There is so much that we're doing during the course of the day and it is easy. So much easier than getting up at the crack of dawn, stressing about getting everyone to school on time, everyone having backpacks and homework, etc. Somebody pinch me.

We love owl pellets. :

My 15 yr old is up at the crack of dawn, but thankfully she doesn't need me. lol But she does more before 6AM than most people do in a week. I wish I was a morning person...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page