^..^October Unschooling Support^..^ - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 161 Old 10-22-2007, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sleeping in?! Now that we have a rooster, that is a thing of the past! I was going to crawl back into bed after hiding some cracked corn in his pen (keeps him happy and busy until a more reasonable hour), but I was worried about chicken ickyness on my clothes and I was too lazy to 1. Change my clothes, and 2. Change the sheets later.

But the eggs from the hens are good. lol
#122 of 161 Old 10-22-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
today we went to storytime at the library; something i've been meaning to do for months.
It was really nice, but soooo hard for DD, who just freaks out if there's more than 2 kids in the same room with her. and there was 30 kids at the story time - normally about 10 kids show up; just our luck that the first time we go they have a blowout!

well, she clung to me for dear life, and asked to leave, but I sat down and wrapped myself around her. she peeked out from my arms just enough to see the story, like a little frightened turtle.

The librarian read 2 really lovely books, with a garden theme, and then there was a craft activity. of course, with all those kids, it was chaos, and DD was totally overwhelmed, so I grabbed some of the paper and stuff and we sat on the floor in a quiet corner.

DD slowly came out of her shell and made a beautiful collage. but so many kids was still too much for her, and we left while everyone else was doing the after-socializing.

anyway, i'm gonna make the effort to go every week, we've been staying at home just the 2 of us far too much. I think as long as I stay close, DD will be okay. and I'm not going to push her to talk to the other kids. she'll do it when she's ready.

It just totally confirms that she's not going to school. she would just go into permanent meltdown in a classroom full of kids, all day, with no mama.

My son is very much like this and he's 9 now. School was never for him, but he was always so curious about it. For two years (he went almost 2 yrs to PS after homeschooling and now we are back)we endured crying and panic attacks at school and everytime I'd tell him we can just come on back home to school he said no. Finally in January of this year, he said yes to come home. He was just miserable. He had friends, but way too many kids for him to sort through, especially after school when everyone rushes for the door and he's left crying on the floor because he didnt see me. Time after time this happened....he'd end up in the nurses office crying on the floor because he didnt see me and I didnt see him in the crowd. it was too much for all of us to handle. Its just not for kids like my son...he gets overwhelmed even at homeschool swim class sometimes there are way too many kids and he clings to me and cries. Which is fine--I certainly dont make him go, but he SO wants to. He's doing better with it though, and we dont make him go into the locker room alone (boys have to go in alone without a parent unless dad is there, which he works so he's not--no little boys allowed in the female locker room, any boy over 2) we change in the bathroom instead together as a family. He loves the swim once we get there and if he's overwhelmed he just swims circles around me. Sad though that no one really understands and can be judgemental at times.

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#123 of 161 Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 AM

Yesterday we went pumpkin picking, and right when we got out of the car, ds was feeling sick. so we kinda made it a quick trip....we saw a magic trick, ds LOVES magic tricks so much, he always performs for us. Then we did pumpkin slingshot, saw some animals, had a snack, rode on the wagon train and then took a hayride to pick our pumpkins and that was that. Later we got home ds had a fever of 103 so we sponge bathed him and gave him some belladonna and herbal tea. he had no fever as of 10pm and all night long, cool as a cucumber. THis morning he bounded out of bed wanting to go to homeschool swim today, but we are staying home after a fever of 103. I just dont feel right about immersing him in water and then having him get out and freeze his butt off and end up feeling miserable again. So we talked about how the body works to fight infection and why we werent going swimming today. then he asked to play a game on the computer and i said no....but he wants to show me something with coordinates, so I agreed. I think we may carve our pumpkins today and bake something. Its nice to just stay in today and do things around here. Now he's laying down saying his legs hurt---he never lays down unless hes getting sick...so im off to check him out.....:

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#124 of 161 Old 10-22-2007, 11:16 AM

hope he feels better!

It has turned cold here suddenly. Really cold. We're dragging out our wool coats and hats!

Nothing really exciting to mention. Sorry We're just hanging out lately.
#125 of 161 Old 10-22-2007, 02:12 PM

Hope the little one is feeling better Doulajewla! I always know that about my kids too. If they are asleep early in the day it's not a good sign. :doh

Dh was here for the weekend so we enjoyed that. We had a nice dinner lastnight and played the game of "Real LIFE". (A "harder" more realistic version of the regular LIFE board game lol). We watched "Extreme Home Makeover" too so we got to learn about Chiari malformation and drool over the new house the family has. Wow, was it ever BIG. I would sure like to see Ty and the gang build a mid or even small sized super nice home one of these episodes.

Ds had an interesting thing happen. The night before last he had a dream that his "team speak server" (the thing that allows his guild members to talk online on his game) was down because the guy paying for it had left the guild. He woke up and was relieved that it had just been a dream. He logged on and someone instantly told him that very thing! He was spooked that it was phrased exactly the same way it had been in his dream. : LOL I told him this is the time of year to be more connected that way so I wasn't suprised. He is still wierded out lol.

Hanging out a lot here too. Today we are waiting for the gas company to come fix our fireplace, and we'll also be babysitting a few young friends this afternoon. I did not get enough sleep lastnight so I consuming coffee currently.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#126 of 161 Old 10-22-2007, 02:21 PM

Thanks! he was feeling better but my instincts were right....when i checked his temp when i got off here, he was still 98. So we started baking and he was shivering so much...he put on three sweatshirts and a winter jacket and the way he was speaking---i could tell his fever must surely be on the way up. its 72 degrees here today so i know its not that cold. Our house is well insulated and keeps the warm out if its not like 90 out---so inside it was nice and cool, but not that cool. I told him to stop baking we will go lay down and read. He said no he wanted have a yummy cake. I told him Id make it no problem, but he insisted on finishing, shivering and wailing and all lol! Then i suggested a nice warm shower---and he decided on a bath. Perfect. He got out and i took his temp after 20 min and it was 102. That was an hour ago, and he's still 102 right now. Poor guy. Hes laying down watching reading rainbow right now. I always let them have a treat when they are sick--usually no tv on weekdays, but we always make exceptions when they are sick. We dont have cable or anything so theres not many choices lol dh wants to get cable so we can watch mythbusters, which is pretty awesome, i saw it when we went on vacation not too long ago...but im so scared if we get cable, we will always watch it! I dont want that. But days like today when theres nothing educational on after PBS is over at 2....it would be nice to watch the discovery channel or national geographic.

So anyway...we are just bumming around, poor ds, hes so miserable. I feel sick today too, but not so bad, just tired from having asthma all night long. I wish it would get cold here already! its so warm for October in VT!

#127 of 161 Old 10-22-2007, 02:45 PM

Aww, yep that is surely a fever he has there. Baths and Reading Rainbow and cake sound like good medicine to me!

We love TV around here so I can't really relate to the worry about watching it. We watch a lot! I do love Mythbusters and Globe Trekker. (And Simpsons and Family Guy and CSI too lol)

I think we are to have your weather tomorrow. That will be quite warm for here in Oct too.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#128 of 161 Old 10-22-2007, 02:50 PM

whats globe trekker? That sounds interesting too.

I heard we are supposed to cool down but not that cool, i guess 60's. Sunday though supposed to be 48 yay! finally cool weather. My dd's 5th bday is saturday and hopefully it will be nice--she wanted a costume party with an apple on a spoon race, ( i think i stole that idea from someone on here ) apple bobbing and painting gourds. I couldnt find a halloweeny kind of tablecloth so we got a white one and the kids are going to put halloween stickers on it. fun fun! ds is sleeping peacefully right now

#129 of 161 Old 10-23-2007, 02:36 AM

Globe Trekker is a wonderful show from PBS. It features different hosts travelling to a variety of places to learn about life and the people, customs, history, and etc there. Here's a page on it.

#130 of 161 Old 10-23-2007, 05:05 AM

Thought some of you might enjoy this little documentary.

Progressive Education in the 1940s

I had to chuckle when the almighty M word was brought up by the parent in the beginning!

Lillian
#131 of 161 Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM

Globe Trekker sounds cool! I havent even heard of it lol....i wonder if its on PBS in my area...Ill have to find out

#132 of 161 Old 10-23-2007, 09:26 AM

wow, thanks for that link, lillian!
I really feel empowered now to stop drilling my DD to learn multiplication by rote.
:

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#133 of 161 Old 10-23-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post
Thought some of you might enjoy this little documentary.

Progressive Education in the 1940s
Oh how funny! Thanks for the link!

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#134 of 161 Old 10-24-2007, 02:27 PM

The kids aren't up yet so it's just me and the animals down here. I am waiting for my coffee to finish brewing and I think it knows how groggy I am because it's taking forever. lol Ds and I were up late (normal) working on getting a sofa that I am selling on Craigslist ready to go. Now I am up waiting for hubby to give me my morning call. He's currently somewhere in Utah I believe. Said it was lovely near the Salt Lake. That prompted Dd to ask where salt comes from so we read about it for a bit. He usually brings back something, even just a postcard, for the kids so hopefully he had time to do that.

We babysat for some friends the last two days, and my Dd and the girls had fun raking leaves into a pile and leaping into them. I took some pictures that turned out excellent for the most part. We had some orbs and other stuff show up so clearly in some of them that you can't really see the girls though! I managed to get a few where the orbs and the girls are there. Energies show up so clearly this time of year.

Dd made plans to go to the corn maze with her friend this Saturday, and maybe to see the new vampire movie "30 Days of Night" or whatever it's called. We've also got to head over to Goodwill to get a few costume things for us.

#135 of 161 Old 10-24-2007, 02:43 PM

we've been getting TONS of orbs too in the past month. we have really cool energies here in this house

ive observed we do alot of learning while in the car. LOL i should just drive all day long and they'll learn so much out of curiosity! ds said(in the car) his left thumb is bigger than his right and he was trying to measure without a ruler so he was trying pieces of paper that were jagged...i said try a straight one...so he measured and noticed that his finger was bigger, wider and longer. i said, well i guess not every body is perfectly symmetrical. And of course he asked whats symmetrical? so i explained and of course dd (7) wanted to know too since it was a new word. she said so if i cut my face in half it should be the same on the other side...cool! they are funny kids. Then out of nowhere she wanted to know if a lemur is a monkey. we decided to look this one up because I wasnt completely sure--i knew they werent directly related. I told her they may be related to primates. Thats just some of the conversations we had in the car today

other than that dd drew a maze with tornadoes to try to get through and thorns and "teeth that will chomp you up." i thought it was a really great maze! shes got such a great imagination. Ds is figuring out his costume (he wants to be a character from the goosebumps book---night of the living dummy...thats right he wants to be a ventriloquist dummy) and he has cello today. Im finishing my costume----im not telling anyone, but ill figure out how to put a link to a picture of it after Halloween. Ive never come up with something so unique...though im sure lots of other people have done this! dd is all set with her and the baby and my 4 y/o are all set. we had a dentist appt today for dd and shes fine, just had some swelling by a loose tooth. how is everyone else today? its cold and rainy here, perfect for me!

#136 of 161 Old 10-24-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
He's currently somewhere in Utah I believe. Said it was lovely near the Salt Lake. That prompted Dd to ask where salt comes from so we read about it for a bit. He usually brings back something, even just a postcard, for the kids so hopefully he had time to do that.
OHHH! I'm in Utah!!! I'll agree with the lovliness of it!!! How long will he be here? I live RIGHT ON the salt flat...

Sewing was the "big project" for today... Sagan ended up making a big cloth thing with pockets all over it to hang on her wall for her stuffed animals. It turned out quite well! She's stoked that she can sew! Now if I can find the motivation to start on diaper covers. lol.

I agree that the car is an amazing learning space. We have many of our educational talks there as well! Gazing out the window seems to lend itself well to contemplation.

#137 of 161 Old 10-24-2007, 05:06 PM

can anyone recommend unschooling message boards? Not the yahoo groups cuz I find those difficult to sort through.
#138 of 161 Old 10-24-2007, 09:21 PM

there is an unschooling message board, I think its unschooling.info/forum or something like that. its not a very busy board, and its run by sandra dodd, I think.

#139 of 161 Old 10-25-2007, 09:59 PM

Yeah Sandra Dodd and folks used to have one, but I am not sure of the addy these days. Yahoo and MSN groups probably have quite a few though.

So today we made our annual "Halloween Guy" out of leaves and old clothes. It's a tradition for us and we always 1. have a blast and 2. freeze our 's off in the process of building him. I thought I would share some pictures. Dd was behind the camera today.

Halloween Guy!
Halloween Guy 2
Me with his "stuffed pants"

Dd is feeling a bit chilly and tired so I hope she isn't coming down with something. She's watching PBS and drinking tea on the sofa.

#140 of 161 Old 10-25-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah Sandra Dodd and folks used to have one, but I am not sure of the addy these days. Yahoo and MSN groups probably have quite a few though.

So today we made our annual "Halloween Guy" out of leaves and old clothes. It's a tradition for us and we always 1. have a blast and 2. freeze our 's off in the process of building him. I thought I would share some pictures. Dd was behind the camera today.

Halloween Guy!
Halloween Guy 2
Me with his "stuffed pants"

Dd is feeling a bit chilly and tired so I hope she isn't coming down with something. She's watching PBS and drinking tea on the sofa.
!!
We have one too, this year. I have to snap a photo tomorrow. The kids are making everyone who visits go back outside to "meet" him. He's dressed in their Papa's (grandpa's) old clothes, so the kids call him Papa Scarecrow.

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#141 of 161 Old 10-26-2007, 03:06 AM

those halloween guys look awesome

it is www.unschooling.info/forum
but its not a very busy forum.

#142 of 161 Old 10-26-2007, 12:35 PM

An update from us:

This week we have been stuck inside the house due to all the rain. I am starting to really need to get out. I can't take four kids and no outdoors!
I care for a baby every day, and so with his care, and the weather, we are really just trying to stay warm and drink as much hot chocolate as possible.

The girls have been doing workbooks since we can't get outside.
We are also enjoying the Spanish language thread here, and printed out some materials to work on Spanish. Luckily, our neighbors are Spanish speaking, so we have someone to try out some words and phrases on.
We have been exploring lap books and the kids thought they looked fun. So we are going to start with an "all about myself" lap book. I'm going to do one too. If we like it, we will do more. My challenge is being able to show off the kids knowledge without out stacks of worksheets, when my X husband takes me to court, which he said he would.

My son had two boychoir practices and the girls had girl scouts.
Otherwise, it has been a lazy week here.

This weekend we are going out of town to a fall get-together for adoptive families (International and Domestic), which will include some good weather, a hay ride, a bon fire and making smores, and a bbq. We are looking forward to seeing old friends, some who are homeschoolers.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#143 of 161 Old 10-26-2007, 03:29 PM

unschoolnma, your halloween guy rocks! This is actually the first year we did not do one--though we still have some time

Its been hard keeping track of what we discuss in the car lately! we talk about SO much and they have SO many questions! The other day I asked my son to write on my hand what we were talking about so I could write it in our journal(we were in the car). I havent written in my journal in 2 days....and there was so much to write, but i cant remember it all!!!: I know today we talked about our body parts because ds got a plastic man that comes apart complete with guts and organs and such. So he takes it apart and asks about EVERYTHING...while in the car. He said "Mom I always wondered how the pee gets to your bladder!" We talked about skin and hair and bones...my 5 y/o was very interested. Shes been asking about alot of things too....I cant remember everything, but I am really satisfied they are learning on their own. I see it so clearly, every second of everyday. They are naturally curious and learning so much more. I just wish I could remember our discussions lol!

#144 of 161 Old 10-26-2007, 04:00 PM

Oh I only WISH I could keep an even HALFED-***ed record or journal of what we discuss, look up, explore, see and learn about! (nevermind the things we want to explore further and projects to remember for later)

I blog like once a month, when something REALLY interesting stands out, AND I'm "in the mood" to write about it, AND i have time, AND AND AND!!!! It's just random. lol.

Utah requires little if anything as far as "proof" you are doing a "good job."
I would just love to have the "records" and journals and such, much like I like paging through picture albums and scrapbooks.

Sure, I can get on here and tell you mama's all about it, but I can't do the same for myself? hahaha maybe I will use the Unschooling thread as my "school record".

WOW! ANYBODY SEE THAT MOON LAST NIGHT!?!?! Do Lunar topics come up in your home anytime the moon is especially noticable???

#145 of 161 Old 10-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Ds and I did some moon watching lastnight before bed. It was so wonderful! The moon (and it's cycle) is pretty key for me spiritually so the kids have come to notice it that way a little bit too. We have a space book around here somewhere that I should get out...

Dd might be interested in lapbooking. She was asking me what it was as I looked at some stuff on google. It seems like it's an activity usually geared toward the younger set, but that never mattered to us before. Sounds fun!

#146 of 161 Old 10-26-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
The moon (and it's cycle) is pretty key for me spiritually so the kids have come to notice it that way a little bit too.
same here... Sagan said to me, "WOW! Is it the FULL FULL moon? or does it just "look" full?"

#147 of 161 Old 10-26-2007, 06:07 PM

We did notice the moon last night! Ds actually noticed first. Then as I was walking to the car to go to my dance class with ds following, I said look the moon is shining Her light on our path to guide us safely to the car (We are both afraid of the dark lol and theres a fox that lives very close to our house--OH we heard him last night! Sounded like a girl screaming!)and my son just looked up and said "Yeah I already know that."

#148 of 161 Old 10-26-2007, 08:21 PM

This past while DD has been obsessed with reading and writing. she's just practicing all the time.

We got a pen pal in the US (we live in australia) who sent us some info about their home town, so we've been learning about madison, NJ, and we made her a little book about where we live. It was really fun, DD drew lots of pictures, and we talked about what we wanted to write. I did the text, and we cut and pasted pictures.

We've just been having long discussions about everything, DD just asks questions all the time. She's really interested in how the body works, and we got another great body atlas out from the library.

I'm learning a lot myself

#149 of 161 Old 10-26-2007, 08:38 PM

I've learned a lot about myself too. I love that about homeschooling and unschooling, specifically.

Re: talks. God, I love how much my daughter and I talk. We meta-discuss everything. LOL Some of our best chats are when we first wake up. She sleeps about half the time in our bed and when she doesn't, she comes in first thing in the morning. We snuggle and her waking thoughts are just delicious. Well, most of the time. This morning, we talked about boogers! How bodies work is a big topic of discussion around here.

My husband has been going wild downloading movies and old shows. I think I mentioned already that he downloaded the Kung fu TV series for me and dd liked that. We call each other "grasshopper" or "Caine" a lot now. We also introduced her to the Muppet Show. I was so happy to watch that again! She stared at me and smiled and was amazed when I sang the theme song. She thinks it's cool that I used to watch it.

We are gearing up for our Halloween party. Doing some decorating and getting our costumes together. We're really excited. Tomorrow, we're getting some pumpkins to carve.
#150 of 161 Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
I've learned a lot about myself too. I love that about homeschooling and unschooling, specifically.

Re: talks. God, I love how much my daughter and I talk. We meta-discuss everything. LOL
I love this about me and the kids too! We are very blah at times, but it's been such a good way for us to learn stuff.

Quote:
We also introduced her to the Muppet Show. I was so happy to watch that again! She stared at me and smiled and was amazed when I sang the theme song. She thinks it's cool that I used to watch it.
Oh my, the Muppet Show! I loved the "Hecklers" so much. I used to run in the room when I heard the theme song for the show back in the day. My Dd thinks it's crazy that I watched Degrassi or knew Paula Abdul as something other than a judge for American Idol.

Quote:
We are gearing up for our Halloween party. Doing some decorating and getting our costumes together. We're really excited. Tomorrow, we're getting some pumpkins to carve.
I just got Dd's hat today too. I think we will carve our pumpkins tomorrow as well. I always get such cute pictures of that experience.

Dd has been gone since yesterday at her best friend's house. They did a corn maze and are at the theatre seeing "30 Days of Night" right this second. She should be home around 10 or so I think. Dh and I walked around town for a bit today and did some window shopping, picked up Dd's hat, and remarked on how spendy some of the costumes are. (We saw a pirate costume for $55. Wow.) There was an adorable chili pepper costume for a new born baby that was so freaking cute!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page