^..^October Unschooling Support^..^ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: Welcome to October Unschooling Support!

Those were supposed to be cats.

I'm excited because this is my favorite month. The kids have been harvesting gourds - and some of them grew in such interesting ways. Many of the gourds look like swans. I think they are going to carve out some of the rounder ones & make candle holders.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#2 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 12:02 PM

sounds beautiful
do these gourds last forever or just a few months?
just curious.

we did visit a farm which had a corn maize the other day. really fun!

relaxed-unschooler mama to dd (2003). hoping for second one. love being a mama!!
#3 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 12:07 PM

I love October too! We've been really enjoying some golden weather too

Curious, do you let the gourds dry out? How do prevent mold from growing? A local shop carries homemade ones for birdfeeders but they are SO expensive and seem really easy to make!

Raining here today - my ds has drawn up 'plans' on how to make a remote control helicopter

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
#4 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 12:15 PM

Hola! Just thought I'd check in and sub. Last month was ucky and I didn't have much time to keep up 'round these here parts. I'm hoping that this month will be better. October 1st... Feels like a fresh start.

So we are relaxing into a better place. We've had some curve balls come at us in the last few weeks though. Broken down cars, flu, colds... I can deal with these things normally, just not all at once! And the icing on the cake is that I did a lead test in our bathroom. The tub is full of lead. So I've got to figure out what to do now...

My oldest dd's dad somehow found out that she is not in ps anymore. That scares me a little but mostly I'm relieved. I've been working on an email to him when I have time. I'm not in too much of a hurry. I'm sure he doesn't give a rat's patootie what I think or what I have to say anyway. I think I've snapped. I haven't *worried* about anything for several days now. I think it just got to be too much and *poof* that part of my brain is gone.

: ~Happy October everyone!!!~
#5 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 01:02 PM

cheery, your sig line cracks me up!

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
#6 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 01:13 PM

Shoot....I posted in the Sept thread. :

Hey everyone!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#7 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 01:19 PM

Happily subbing.We just moved.THAT has been very educational!Meeting some homeschoolers here,I'm noticing a LOT more stucture!It feels good to come to this group! sigh.

:::
#8 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 01:52 PM

I love October! The cooler days. The beautiful colors. The public schools back in session so that we can enjoy EVERYWHERE more than before...

Mondays are usually full of housework for me. The boys do whatever they are interested in learning about all morning while I clean and care for my daughter.

Grocery shopping preceeded by a park visit coming up soon.

Maryhippie.gif

#9 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 01:54 PM

Yesterday was ultimate frisbee practice -- it rained hard, and the kids have decided they don't like playing while wet. I don't blame them! They've been really into practice in general though, they go twice a week and really look forward to it. Actually, they like sports in general, but it is hard for them to get my cooperation as I really loathe most organized sports programs for kids. They're so serious and competitive. Childhood should be about play, not about getting them on the professional sports track. Plus, most are so expensive! They all have to get uniforms and equipment and... geez. Ultimate frisbee is great because all you need is a pair of used cleats and a frisbee. Oh, and another reason I like it is that it's co-ed.

We got a bunch of pumpkins from my FIL's field -- he grows melons, we pick and sell them, we are thankful for the money, but we are really tired of the work, so thank god melon season is over -- so anyway, we carved pumpkins last night even though it's a month early heck, why not, we can always get more. The three older kids all can do their own now, and their designs are fantastic. I wish I could find my camera so I could show you guys a picture. Scott and I carved ours too. Then we picked the seeds out of the pulp (slimey!) and are going to try our hand at roasting them today.

This morning my 10-year-old isn't up yet -- he is growing like crazy, I think that's what it's about. He's not as tall as me yet, but his feet are already bigger than his papa's! Which he loves, of course. The girls are reworking their pumpkins, and my second-born is clearing off the living room table where we ate dinner last night. He has vowed to help out around the house, he wants to lighten my work load a bit. He is such a sweet boy! Now he's headed upstairs to the landing where the video games are, to play a snowboarding game.

I think today we will probably just be around the house. I want to get some writing in, laundry and dishes need to be done, and the sun is out and I really want to get the living room windows washed before it gets cold out. Now is the time, because around here it's pretty much overcast through fall and winter and into spring. Oh, and I am going to try to get some sewing down today, too. I told the kids I would make them Halloween candy bags because I am not interested in making costumes this year. Every year they get excited about me making special costumes, but inevitably someone decides they don't like something about theirs and would rather be something else. : So this time we're bypassing all of that and they can just be something else to begin with. But I'm still making bags because we do a lot of trick-or-treating and the little plastic store-bought receptacles are too little and cumbersome, so my son picked out some spider web and skull fabric (with red glitter eyes!) and I'm going to make shoulder bags for them.
#10 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 03:18 PM

Subbing.

We got our sugar skull molds & meringue powder delivered today...
CAN'T WAIT!!!

October IS a great month!!!

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#11 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 03:59 PM

It seems that you all are eager to enjoy October! us too!!!

We took a trip to MA (we are in VT) on saturday until last night. Went to Sturbridge village, which was really great. THe kids loved it and got to make tin candle holders. Then yesterday we traveled further into MA and found this cool apple picking place and had lots of farm activities. The kids got to get in the pens with the animals, see babies having "ninnymuggins" on the mammas....we got to gather eggs, bottle feed a baby cow, brush the cows......pet some snakes, paint our faces OURSELVES......etc. it was alot of fun. oh and we did pick our own apples and my son wants apple crisp and one of my daughters wants caramel apples. i dont know about that----but when we bake it will be fun! Today i am not feeling good so we didnt do much at all. Mostly they played starfall.com on the computer and watched between the lions. I feel bad about that---but i was in so much pain before i couldnt move, so I let them have tv but it was educational tv and i watched it with them.

They did do postcard trading earlier today and wrote out their postcards to kids in MT and OH. We enjoyed looking over the ones we received from England and other various states. We bought some cool wooden toys yesterday also and ds is having fun with the brain teaser puzzle. We bought a wooden magnetic farm kit for the baby. They all got wooden and bone whistles at Sturbridge village which made for an interesting ride home

Hopefully October will be really fun for us too, though we are very lackadaisical and dont have any cool spooky plans lol.....maybe we can figure some nice crafts for ourselves to do celebrating the harvest

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#12 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 04:23 PM

Yay it's October! Fall is here, thank the various deities lol.

My kids were up before me today. Ds was out with Dh applying for a job at a donut shop. Fingers crossed for him! Dd is online reading a friend's story.

Today is pretty mellow I think. I need to get some cleaning done in the bathrooms and try to find the pool table under all the clean laundry.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#13 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 04:24 PM

The first day of October is actually bringing some wind to us so it's nice outside! We're all looking forward to some cooler weather.

This morning the kids made a race course for their bikes and this afternoon we made no-bake cookies- I think they ate them all as well!

Joyfully- Laura
radically unschooling 3 awesome kids
#14 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 05:28 PM

Subbing. I finally came to the realization last week that we're unschoolers. It took me a month of trying to be structured to realize that my heart wasn't there, and neither were my son's interests!

This week I've got some evening commitments but I'm trying to keep daytime stuff fairly quiet. If we have appointments or other commitments each day it's totally overwhelming. I'm realizing that I do need hours and hours at home for my kids to have the opportunity to really get into what they're doing. DS can take 45 minutes to eat a sandwich for Pete's sake!!

My parents are out of the province on vacation for the rest of the month and I'm glad to have the space to do some unschooling before explaining myself to them. They've been very accepting of homeschooling but they're in such a different headspace about what homeschooling is that the idea of unschooling might worry them. When they're in town we have a lot of contact (DS usually spends a night or two at their house each week) and so we need to be on the same page about something as major as this. I'll just have to have a fabulous month so I can tell them about it!

DS watched a magic tricks video yesterday and has been doing card tricks all day. I asked him if he'd be interested in putting on a magic show for friends and family and he was really excited about the idea. I even told him he could make the invitations since he love scrapbooking.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#15 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 05:38 PM

Ds has finally wore out the x-box controller...trying to figure out if he should buy a new one..or should we purchase this for him...hmmmmm...well see...trying to take care of myself..starting seeing a homeopathist..i'm so excited about this...packing our things for mexico..this is interesting as the children are allowed to take one box of "important/fun thing"....what i think they should take is different from what they see important..good lesson for me.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#16 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Curious, do you let the gourds dry out? How do prevent mold from growing? A local shop carries homemade ones for birdfeeders but they are SO expensive and seem really easy to make!
Gourds are a passion of mine, so thank you for asking! We do dry our gourds..there are just so many things you can make with them, you have to dry them!

Gourds can be dried right on the vine. Or, they can be hung up somewhere, preferably some place where you're not going to smell them. Drying gourds have a distinctive odor that is...well, unpleasant.

To dry them on the vine, just do nothing. The weather (rain, freezing, etc) won't bother mature gourds. They'll dry just fine. The main thing they need is good air circulation.

To dry gourds after picking, I hang them up in the barn. They need good air flow. If they mold, GOOD! Molding will not hurt them, and will often leave beautiful markings and patterns behind. It does no good to wash off the mold, as it will just grow back.

Some gourds might develop a soft spot...those are rotting and can be thrown away. There's nothing to be done about this. Some are always going to rot. Many rot because they were picked before they were mature.

If you don't have a barn, it's best to try to dry your gourds outside somewhere, rather than in the basement. They really do stink! Plus, many basements don't have good air flow.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#17 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 05:53 PM

My 5 year old really wants to learn how to read. Today, he pulled out a phonics card game we got from the local homeschool conference resource fair. Then we played a board game called Puppy Phonics. We also read #7 of the Magic Tree House series (which DS1 is addicted to.) DS has been looking through books a lot lately. I'm amazed at how well he sounds out words! I have to admit - I'm looking forward to him learning how to read, so I can watch him read books to his baby brother. :
We have the Rombix, Jr. here: http://www.gamepuzzles.com/fyplayer.htm and we've been playing with that today - trying to make different designs in the puzzle.
And we just played the concentration/ memory game on that website after I found it.
DS1 has sensory issues, and enjoyed a long bath earlier. I hoped to get to the playground today, but it's getting late, and we still have to eat dinner before meeting DH at the mall. Oh, well. Maybe tomorrow...

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#18 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 08:26 PM

subbing
We're excited that Fall is here. The seasons are quite rejuvenating for me though winter tends to be a little long.
I have a birth to atttend this month and my sweet daughter is due with her fourth child.
My kids at home are happily playing outside all day everyday. Read a couple of scary books today and took a trip to the bookstore to get Ed Emberely's Halloween drawing book but they were all gone so got the Drawing Book of Weirdos....remember how fun it was as a kid for Halloween to arrive?
#19 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 11:22 PM

Exciting time of year

We have birthday bash to plan for ......complete with costumes for Halloween. We are combining all 4 children into a big harvest fest. (Only way we can afford to do it. A couple big, hardy pots of chili...some corn bread....Halloween treats...games and costumes. We can not wait!

Today was pretty mellow. Great weather here. A chill in the air. Needed a sweater....but just a lite breeze and comfortable. So beautiful. We went to the park for over an hour.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#20 of 161 Old 10-01-2007, 11:53 PM

Oooh a birthday! what day? My dd will turn 5 on the 27th, and she wants a pumpkin birthday. What a great idea the chili, maybe ill steal that idea, it sounds really nice for a chilly fall day That would be the cheapest for the party too. So far she wants an apple carrying contest(like the egg on a spoon one), apple bobbing and pumpkin painting. And just like every year, she wants her friends to wear costumes if they want. She is learning to read also....sounding out words all on her own. Starfall.com is great for that IMO because shes really reading along with it and sounding out words. She wants to know everything and said she cant know everything until she reads. shes my lil buddha, says some great things everyday

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#21 of 161 Old 10-02-2007, 12:24 AM

Can I join in? I am homeschooling/unschooling a 5 year old and his 2 year old sister. I am just starting to deal with all the questions about school "what school does he go to?" "oh, you homeschool? what curriculum" etc. etc. It's good, though, because it helps me solidify my choices as I learn to not explain myself.

Today we went to the zoo, well timed on a Monday when there aren't many school groups. During my daughter's nap, I read to my son about mummification and then he read to me from his early readers. He is so excited about reading and I am really glad he came to it on his own, rather than being pushed into it. He also did some pages in a math workbook but quickly moved to his book of mazes and then got out his maps. And, of course, he made more Halloween decorations. We got out the watercolors for a bit and then the kids watched some TV before my son's first soccer practice. We signed him up for a league called "Fun Fair Positive Soccer". I think it may be local only but it is non-competitive, everyone gets equal playing time at every position, and the parents are forbidden from giving side-line coaching. If they say anything to their player it has to start with "good," "nice" etc. So far, so good. He liked it a lot, which is what matters.

It doesn't feel like fall here at all. It was HOT and HUMID today and generally unbearable at the zoo. Well, it should cool down a little in a month or so, I hope.
#22 of 161 Old 10-02-2007, 01:06 AM

We love October, too. Both of my girls have their birthdays this month. We LOVE Halloween. We love the beauty of this changing season. It's a good time for us.
#23 of 161 Old 10-02-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Shoot....I posted in the Sept thread.
I was about to do that, too, then saw this new one. Already 2 pages long -- you all are on the ball, and I hadn't even grasped that it's a new month! AngelBee, I hope things are working out the way you want w/ your ds. I'll go back and finish reading the Sept. thread to catch up on everyone's news.

KimProbable, hooray to you and your ds for embracing unschooling -- have fun!

Ds and I have been talking about what kinds of jobs he could do if the band doesn't work out (or in addition to playing in a band, if he's not able to make a living solely off of that). He has a couple ideas, but is really liking the thought of becoming a paramedic! He spent most of yesterday at the skate park, then walked from there to the library and came home with a big book about human anatomy. I had to smile at the idea of my grubby, long-haired teen boy in a Metallica t-shirt and skull cap politely presenting such a book for check-out. Teen stereotypes be damned. We have a former paramedic in the family, so I'm going to arrange for ds to talk to him to find out what it's really like and what he needs to do to prepare himself.

Dd likes messing in the kitchen. Today, she wanted to make oven fries from scratch. She wrote the instructions as I gave them so she can put them into the recipe booklet she has made of things she can prepare by herself. They were awesome -- I didn't give her specifics on seasoning, and she came up with a perfect combination of garlic and herbs. Mmmm!

I feel everyone's excitement about the change of seasons, and am enjoying reading about your plans and activities.

Dd has a big, purple bruise on her hip, and wants to know why bruises go through all the color changes. So, we're off to investigate that...
#24 of 161 Old 10-02-2007, 02:28 PM

Today my son felt a little sick and he asked why viruses get in our bodies and then he wanted me to name one...so off the top of my head I said rotavirus...so now he is looking up rotavirus. I have a UTI and he wanted to know about that too so we learned more about that

We made apple crisp, and zucchini, apple, banana and carrot muffins. They all are so good! Last night we made some caramel apples. I caved and let them have one treat lol. We usually use organic ingredients and substitute fruits for sugar. But the caramel apples were fun, even though they were junk food lol. they are really yummy! Right now the kids are watching reading rainbow and learning about the desert. They are learning the habitats there for different animals and really enjoying the stories. Yesterday they watched reading rainbow also and found underwater life very interesting. They saved a coral and the kids really loved that.

We have fish tanks and we are relatively new to them...have had them 2 months now and the kids are all about testing the water for nitrites and nitrates and ph....feeding the fish etc. So today they were fish watching and asking various questions. Oh and they wanted sea monkeys so we are on day 8 of that and you can see them pretty good now. Every morning they check on them. My son read one of his favorite goosebumps books and then played an educational game on the computer. The girls just wrote stories and played with their dolls.No cello for my son today, teacher cancelled so tomorrow I wonder what the rest of the afternoon holds in store for us?

#25 of 161 Old 10-02-2007, 03:36 PM

Dd was impressed to learn that her bruise qualified as "severe" on the scale we looked at, and has learned cool words like hemaglobin, bilirubin and biliverdin (that was a new one for me as well).

doulajewla, it sounds like we've had similar days -- medical mysteries and kitchen creations, .

Continuing in that vein (ha ha, I'm so funny!) dd is requesting to make pancakes for dinner. Yum yum, time to eat again.
#26 of 161 Old 10-02-2007, 03:51 PM

LOL we have had quite the day! Isnt learning on our own fun? I think we learn more this way than regular homeschooling! Bilirubin.....thats a good one! Right now they are excited because Tutenstein came from netflix today! Ds is extremely into Egyptian things---i love how they learn!

#27 of 161 Old 10-02-2007, 05:26 PM

Angelo fell and bite through his lower lip We called the ped and he said he does not think he needs stitches but ot keep an eye.

Please send positive vibes and/or prayers.

#28 of 161 Old 10-02-2007, 05:46 PM

Sending lots of healing energy.... Keep us posted

#29 of 161 Old 10-02-2007, 06:05 PM

AngelBee and Angelo
#30 of 161 Old 10-02-2007, 07:33 PM

Hugs to your little Angelo! That sounds very ouchy. I hope it heals quickly. Little ones seem to usually. (Mamas...not so much lol)

Today we did some grocery shopping and it's so chilly and windy out there! I've got some cleaning to do yet. Ds just put his comforter in the washer finally lol. He's been researching which jobs make the most money...outside of being a doctor or lawyer and the like that is. Apparently, millwrights, electricians, and plumbers do pretty well and if you are a "journeyman" in those trades it's best. He's not sure what he wants to do yet, but it's good research I suppose.

Dd has been asking me to teach her about Buddhism more so I am working on that. Right now she's watching funny videos on youtube with her brother though.

Tonight it's Not so Sloppy Joes and salad with cake for dessert. We are going to watch "Fantastic 4 silver surfer" and we rented "300" for the kids.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page