November Unschooling Support - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 153 Old 11-02-2007, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Time for a new thread. Ds has gone to work today with his uncle (getting paid for it, too!), and dd is at the movies with a friend so I'm sitting here by my lonesome. It's actually nice to have the house to myself (well, except for the dog, house bunny and 2 noisy guinea pigs, lol) for a couple hours. Tonight we're going to a bonfire at my niece's house. Dd is still on her "must read Harry Potter" mission, and started on book 3 a couple days ago. What are you all up to?
#2 of 153 Old 11-02-2007, 12:57 PM

I'm in!

DS Tyler has been very interested in blue prints regarding building, any ideas where to find info. on blue prints for kids? : Dh brought some of his home from work, but they are well, a lot of info. to take in at once for a beginner. He wants to learn the basics and create his own. He loves building things, and taking things apart. If any one has some ideas, it would be appreciated!

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#3 of 153 Old 11-02-2007, 01:28 PM

*waves hello* my son is finally back home with us and we are going the unschool route this time. he's 6 and so incredibly curious and inquisitive about everything so he's fun to watch learn. anyway, we are doing holiday craft projects which he loves to help with. yesterday they made bendy dolls from pipe cleaner and beads. we've been playing at the park for hours. i think today we are going to make some costumes for the all souls procession this weekend, and maybe go to the planetarium.

blogging.jpg 
#4 of 153 Old 11-02-2007, 01:52 PM

Hello! I am trying to really learn to relax into unschooling w/dd,6, right now. New baby almost here--I have a feeling that the all the new baby stuff will help get my mind off worrying if I am doing enough activites with/for dd. She is healthy and happy and learning and growing--hopefully the second child will help me stop obsessing about micro-managing her learning. I really do believe in unschooling and see the wonderful creativity that happens with dd naturally...I was just so brainwashed as a 'star student' in the school system for so many years--I'm happy for dd that she won't be trained to seek approval through grades, etc...

Anyway, we are all busy getting ready for the baby and for winter--dd is helping her dad with things like chimney cleaning today. Love these threads!
#5 of 153 Old 11-02-2007, 03:56 PM

Hi everyone and welcome Wildflower

November is here already! Dd and Dh's birthdays are this month (same day) and it's the same week as Thanksgiving. It's always a bit of whirlwind around that time, but fun too so we are looking forward to that.

Dd has requested to learn about simple machines, and she wants to try a lapbook. It will be the first time we've ever done that so it should be fun. I've relearned a lot already about machines that I hadn't thought about since the 4th grade! She also has a snail mail pen pal now, and she wrote a 2 page letter the other day. She was stoked that she only had 3 spelling errors. (She asked me to look it over)

Ds is debating on whether or not he wants to shave his beard down to just a patch to get a job. I am so frustrated for him that he has to do all this crap with his hair that women aren't required to. : But I am supporting him as he makes his choices.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#6 of 153 Old 11-02-2007, 06:36 PM

Hi! We're here again.

DS1 is in the other room. I think he's building an "irrigation system" for his playhouse because he has his tools and pipes out. DS2 is asleep on the couch. We went to the library this morning and took out a bunch of book. We always have so much fun when we go.

Halloween was a blast; we threw our first party! Now, we are gearing up for Diwali on Nov. 9. We'll likely visit the temple, and DS1 is so excited to light the candles. We may do some Diwali-themed crafts, too. We'll see.
#7 of 153 Old 11-02-2007, 06:42 PM
pia

Hi everyone!

We´re here too! Look forward to following this november thread. I normally just lurk and read...

Right now: Ds is making a western town with Playmobil on the dining table.
Me...I am waiting to watch the latest Grey´s Anatomy when dh is out of the shower.

Looking forward to a autumn-y November with lots of bike-rides!
#8 of 153 Old 11-02-2007, 07:32 PM

Yesterday was our weekly homeschool co-op at my house. Typically 10-25 children in attendance, with whatever mamas... It's awesome. Forget the 'what about socialization?' question.

Today we met friends at the children's museum. Awesome.

This weekend I need to show Nic how to blog. I created a blog for him called Nic's Design Studio. It's a place for him to post pictures of his amazing creations and to talk about the universe behind his creatures.

It's just turned off cool. I'm so interested in doing autumnal stuff....

Maryhippie.gif

#9 of 153 Old 11-02-2007, 07:35 PM

Hi, I am new here. I posted a minute ago about how homeschooling isn't working for us so feel free to respond there if you want.

DD is 6 and so smart and lovely.
Sometimes I feel like we don't get to do enough crafts together mostly because we spent her 1st 5 years remodeling a house and now we are building another. It's kind of hard to make bread letters (like oak meadow) suggested) without a kitchen set up. Even painting is hard because our water is limited until our cistern is built.
I'm glad to put her back in the lead instead of me being like,"OK, today we learn letter D and you have to draw a picture of a door and we have to go feel trees and their different qualities."

Anyhow, Hello.
#10 of 153 Old 11-02-2007, 10:34 PM

Hi everyone!

Today, DD and I hung out on ClubPenguin to get the new clothes for this month She didn't want to go out today so I went on a walk by myself.

We started The Westing Game and she loves it. I told her about reading it for the first time when I was in the 5th grade...she likes hearing what I did when I was young.

She helped me go through the pics I took on Halloween (I've put them on my blog so you can see, if you wanna!). She played with a mixture of Playmobil, PollyPocket and Pokemon, we made chocolate chip cookies after dinner and watched Flushed Away. She read a bit of Encyclopedia Brown and we discussed some mysteries. Later, we climbed into bed and watched part of Hidalgo but she fell asleep. (I have insomnia tonight so I'm up!)

Another hang out day! The weather is supposed to be clear this weekend so we're planning to take her scooter out to the park, maybe take a picnic down to the lake. We'll see.
#11 of 153 Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 PM

Hi! We have quite a bit planned for this month. Lots of visiting with friends and family. Tomorrow we're going to visit an aquarium and then check out some caves. Next week we're planning on checking out a dinosaur flick at the IMAX. My MIL brought the boys all of dh's old legos, so they've been busy...haven't seen them for days...
Picked up some books from the library on gardening as we've been thinking about what we'll plant in the spring. We've started reading The Princess Bride together in the evenings. Oh, and we've started watching the first Thundercats dvd from Netflix, and we've got more coming.

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#12 of 153 Old 11-03-2007, 12:53 AM

Today dc listened to lots of music, danced, looked at books, and then our play-helper came (mother's helper, sort of , but really, she just takes the heat off of me and my tired body for three hours, 3 days/wk- she plays with them and she's awesome!). Then we took garbage to the dump, shopped for food and the two older ones helped a lot, asked questions, continually reaffirmed that "[xyz] would be better if it was 'organic.'"

Then we came home and they sculpted with pipe-cleaners (which they love and will do for an hour at a time or even all day sometimes), ds1 helped dh do dinner dishes while ds2 took on the responsibility of the livingroom floor clean-up, and ds3 took everything back out again, but was happy to put it back again . Then ds1 had a 'late night' and made brownies with dh and watched an episode of Shark Week on dvd, checking in with me on my basket-weaving project at the kitchen table. He wants to learn how to sew.

Interim activites included rough-housing with daddy, tickling, tackle tag, lots of snacks (they've become voracious again), cape-wearing, and learning about why we don't pick up half-mutilated dead birds from the walkway and then toss them into the rain barrel... - Good discussion about parasites! And an informative hand-washing session for ds2!

Probably lots more; I can't remember... Onto tomorrow! We have a birthday party to attend; I'm very excited for our dc- they really want to play with other children, but everyone else's children are in school in this community , and our schedule rarely works out with others'.

I love these threads- I usually just lurk because our dc are still so young, but I guess since our view of unschooling is that life and learning are not distinct from one another, we've been doing it all along, so I thought I'd join in this time!

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#13 of 153 Old 11-03-2007, 01:22 AM

My son has found a way to totally freak me out.
He first discovered this animal in an old Zoology book. Then he found a bit about it in his supercool Uncover Frog book (I can't say enough good things about these Uncover books!)
This animal does things a little bit differently...

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#14 of 153 Old 11-03-2007, 02:28 AM

KaraBoo wrote: She read a bit of Encyclopedia Brown and we discussed some mysteries.

I loved Encyclopedia Brown when I was little!
#15 of 153 Old 11-03-2007, 02:58 PM

Cool links Lotusdebi!

My kids are still in bed, though I do hear them stirring around up there. I think today Dd is planning to start learning about simple machines. I am not sure which she will start her first mini book on, but it should be fun.

I have some writing research I need to do, but I am dragging a little bit I guess.

It's a bit chilly today. My heater just kicked on but I want the heat to be right behind me in the dining room lol. Maybe we'll take a walk later. Now on to some

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#16 of 153 Old 11-03-2007, 03:49 PM

Hi, all...I'm new to the mothering boards, but long time unschooling mama...My kids are 15 and 9.5 and have always been unschooled...and I have a new little one on the way in May. Most of my life has been dedicated of late to vomitting...very exciting : ...

My son, Otto, 9, enjoys drawing, video games, neopets, and just hanging out on the internet...

My 15 yo daughter, Lauren, has been reading up on Tarot lately...loves to cook, read cook books, watch cooking shows....Also still loves American girls (who says it's just for the 8-12 yo crowd!)...She's also been learning some greek and latin roots lately, because we read about "English from the roots up" and thought it might be fun. She's also in a homeschool choir, which is singing at the farmers market today (sadly, I'm too sick to be there, but she is going to call me on the phone so I can listen from my bed : .

(Also, i am usually too busy to hang out on the computer, but since I'm BORED and TOO SICK TO GET OUT OF BED right now, I find myself looking for people to chat with--and y'all won the award for today!)

Dana
#17 of 153 Old 11-03-2007, 04:06 PM

My oldest ds just ventured out of the house today....this is a huge ordeal...he has not really done anything with other teens his age in a few months. So i'm tickled that he wanted to go out. Maybe this is the begining of something new. I'm veggin on the couch, enjoying the peace and quite...as my sister has my dd and ds out running errands for me....how sweet.. is she. Oh the power of close family is awesome...my grandmother guided my dd on how to do number fill ins....and she loves it...that would make it her great grandmother....learning never ends.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#18 of 153 Old 11-03-2007, 06:20 PM

Hello! My ds turns 4 tomorrow, so we've been busy planning that. He finished a cooking class, so the party is cooking themed...each child will make their own mini lasagna and salad on a stick, help decorate the cake, and decorate their own aprons to take home. He's really excited.

I'm looking forward to next week, when party shopping/planning is over and we can go to the aquarium or science museum.

We also got our ds his first science kit for his present. He's been really into mixing liquids together and adding soap and other items, so this kit has colors to mix in test tubes and crystals he can make. hope he likes it!

Have a great month everyone!
#19 of 153 Old 11-03-2007, 06:26 PM

[QUOTE=briansmama;9622755]Hello! My ds turns 4 tomorrow, so we've been busy planning that. He finished a cooking class, so the party is cooking themed...each child will make their own mini lasagna and salad on a stick, help decorate the cake, and decorate their own aprons to take home. He's really excited.
QUOTE]

That sounds like such fun! Sounds like the paleontology-themed party we had for my daughter when she was 6 (ok...like almost 10 years ago now!)--We made a grid down by the river, like a "real" dig, and each kid got a little shovel and paintbrush and got to excavate their area, looking for a "bone" (giant dog bones painted white, lol)...they had such a blast! A geologist friend came and brought fossils for them to all look at and take home, and...hmmm, there was some other art-type thing we did, although it escapes me now....

I love little kid parties!!

Dana
unschooling mama to Lauren, 15, Otto, 9.5, and new little one due in May~
#20 of 153 Old 11-03-2007, 06:38 PM

Dana,
That is a GREAT idea! I love it...will remember that one for next year.

Just realized you're due in May. Hope you're feeling good. My ds2 is 7 1/2 months and really into his big brother, so it's a lot of fun around here. You must be getting so excited.
#21 of 153 Old 11-03-2007, 06:40 PM

oh, wait, just realized you're the mom in bed because you're so sick...oh, hope it ends quickly. how many weeks are you? I had terrible pg sickness but it ended right at 12 weeks, so hope yours does too.

you must really be looking forward to may then...
#22 of 153 Old 11-03-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansmama View Post
Just realized you're due in May. Hope you're feeling good. My ds2 is 7 1/2 months and really into his big brother, so it's a lot of fun around here. You must be getting so excited.
Right now I'm in the throes of vomitting and not much else...I am doing the [smacks head] what was I thinking?? thing a lot But in a few weeks I'm sure I'll be back to being excited. It's pretty amazing, doing this all over again...it's been so long since mine were little! (15 and 9.5) My partner is 40 and this is his first, so it is fun sharing in that OMG! excitement that he has, too

Dana
unschooling mama to Lauren, 15, Otto, 9.5, and new little one due in May!
#23 of 153 Old 11-03-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansmama View Post
oh, wait, just realized you're the mom in bed because you're so sick...oh, hope it ends quickly. how many weeks are you? I had terrible pg sickness but it ended right at 12 weeks, so hope yours does too.

you must really be looking forward to may then...
Yup, that's me...I have a PICC line and am doing anti-nausea drugs every two hours...Oh, Joy! :

I'm actually feeling well enough to be on-line, though, which is an improvement to pre-PICC line...so, really, things are looking up

I had to go to the hospital yesterday, though, and get my PICC line pulled out about 3 cm, because it was resting on my heart valve and giving me chest pains! God, I sound pathetic! LOL...tee hee hee, everyone has my permission to be glad they're not ME today!

Dana
unschooling mama to Lauren, 15, Otto, 9.5, and new little one due in May!
#24 of 153 Old 11-04-2007, 12:40 AM

ahh i forgot its november :

I havent even had the time to write anyway sheesh...so busy. We've been doing bday party things for my dd, museum trips, halloween parade....dance, playdates, library....its just been a busy busy week. Oh and dentist appts! yikes.

Ill update tomorrow...just wanted to say hi

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#25 of 153 Old 11-04-2007, 12:31 PM

My 5.8 year old says to me almost daily, "I want to learn to read." She doesn't say it in a "teach me" way. She says it in a way like I'd say, "I want more protein in my diet."

For about 2-5 minutes, at that point, she'll bring me a book and we'll talk about the words and then she's off.

And she has asked me how to spell words for a few years.

I was thinking it'd be fun to have a few "teach myself to read" books laying around for her to check out if she wants. Are there such books that we unschoolers would like?
#26 of 153 Old 11-04-2007, 12:53 PM

My dd is almost 5 an is constantly talking about letter of words and names at home and out and about. She will say 'Let's have a L day' and we look out for Ls wherever we are.

Her brothers are avid readers and she is very interested in books but can't read any which sometimes bugs her.

We don'y have any teach ing reading books but she does love starfall.com and plays on it for a little while on most days.
#27 of 153 Old 11-04-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyMN View Post
My 5.8 year old says to me almost daily, "I want to learn to read."
I was thinking it'd be fun to have a few "teach myself to read" books laying around for her to check out if she wants. Are there such books that we unschoolers would like?
This isn't a learning to read book per se, but my son learned to read very early because we always had the closed captioning on the tv...which made every show into a living book! This, and also being able to use the search guide on the tv--he got used to reading the titles of his favorite show so he could find them to watch!

hth,
Dana
unschooling mama to Lauren, 15, Otto, 9.5, and little new one due in May!
#28 of 153 Old 11-04-2007, 04:02 PM

Subtitles are great! I truly think they helped my daughter in her learning to read.

Today, we re-arranged the living room. It looks great! It feels so cozy! My dd has a nice play table and area to put her stuff and we hope we can keep it tidier in the new arrangement.

We had moved all the furniture around for the Halloween party and I thought we might as well go all the way! (Pics are in my blog in siggy, by the way)

I have GOT to find more Magic Treehouse books for her. She has re-read the four she has over and over and she really wants more.
#29 of 153 Old 11-04-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Hoffman View Post
we always had the closed captioning on the tv...which made every show into a living book!
I like this idea too. But my dd asks me to turn off the closed captioning whenever it's on.
#30 of 153 Old 11-04-2007, 05:49 PM

We've all got colds here, so we haven't been doing much for the past couple days. :

A short while ago though, DS1 saw someone flying radio controlled airplanes outside in a field nearby, so he and DH went out to try to catch up with the guy and watch them. The guy flew his planes for DS, which scared him a bit (for, although he loves vehicles, he's timid of motorized toys and many vehicles up close), but he still says he had fun. Now he's watching his "fiddle movie" (a Barrage concert video.)

It's finally starting to feel like fall around here, but still not consistently cold enough to be November.

Oh, and I'm learning to play the concertina. My Dad sent me one in the mail.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page