Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Joy in creating, imagining, & playing aside
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Lego’ 'blueprints’ can be pretty confusing , so I am always impressed when someone can translate those into something that doesn’t fall over.
Tell me about it! My ds keeps asking me to make the boat like the picture. I'm having a heck of a time figuring it out.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#122 of 152 Old 02-08-2008, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Legos can be math in so many ways. Sorting, grouping, size comparisons, etc are all math. I'm on the run but I have more thoughts to add later!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#123 of 152 Old 02-08-2008, 05:43 PM

So we've been unschooling since December. Dd has never been to school ( well she did have preschool for a few months) and today she brought over a math book and asked if she could do some problems. They haven't done anything particularly "schooly" and so I had to call Dh and brag that she could indeed learn anything if she wanted to learn it! ha! She was doing some adding and a little subtracting! Ds spent a few hours playing Club penguin and looking up stuff on the net. He helped clean off the kitchen table. Dh came home and was working in the shop so Ds went down to talk with him. They then decided to go get haircuts! We'll probably go check out the science center today. Dd saw the commerical for this new show called Ni-hao Kailan and saw I tivo'd it and we watched it together. Its a cute show and she seems to like learning the chinese words. I'm so tempted to buy rosetta stone chinese

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#124 of 152 Old 02-08-2008, 06:06 PM

Well I keep trying to read the whole thread before posting only to get kicked off MDC........ So I give up, I'm still on page 3 but I'm posin anyway!

Things here have been good, it's starting to warm up here it was 16 yesterday so we could actually go out without :.....DS1 is a bit sick so he's been laying low and watching ninja turtles. DS2 is stilll........well not laying low shall we say .

We had a very exciting meeting with another 2 HSing families at an early years playgroup I organized which was great. It was so exciting to hang out with younger HSers. My kids are both very extroverted and it's hard to get them all the socializing they need. We can always go to a class or the gym, but ODS is starting to really need a few close friends for regular playdates, so we are slowly building up to it with a couple families. It is so nice to have a kid who's old enough to go to playdates alone or to have friends over without it being way more work.

I also made a new friend which I am soooo excited about, I have really been lacking in female friends the last year or so, we had a "play" date today (her babe is only 6 moths) and it was soooo nice .

Otherwise we're just chiling out waiting for the weather to change. Me and DS1 are going to my parents tomorow for an all day perogie making party.

DS has never asked about unschooling but he has started saying he wants to go to kindergarten It makes me sad becuas ehe doesen't really have any idea what it is but everyone asks him if he's in it.....I've explained to him that we think kids go to school to young here and he can do so much more at home with us, but I dont' know what else to tell him....... I'de love to hear how others have dealt with this.....
#125 of 152 Old 02-08-2008, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Another practical application question. My ds has been playing with his leggos a lot lately. I've been watching him to see if I can see the math in it. I don't see it. I asked my dh if he saw it thinking he might get it more than me since he likes to build things. He said nope. So, tell me. What is the math (and whatever else) that is learned from leggos?
You have to figure out how big of a piece you need to fill in an area. You don't have a 2 by 8 so you use a 2 by 2 and a 2 by 6 because 2 plus 6 is 8. You realize a 2 by 6 has 12 dots. Hey, 2 X 6 = 12. Does your child sit there and try one piece, then another, then another until he eventually finds one that fits? Or does he just look and pick up the one that will fit? He might alternate colors and make a pattern. Are patterns math? I dunno but I suspect they are. Legos are manipulatives just like cuisenaire rods.

We don't build from kits much, mostly just free building. Following the directions of a kit is certainly a challenge.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#126 of 152 Old 02-08-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchamama View Post

DS has never asked about unschooling but he has started saying he wants to go to kindergarten It makes me sad becuas ehe doesen't really have any idea what it is but everyone asks him if he's in it.....I've explained to him that we think kids go to school to young here and he can do so much more at home with us, but I dont' know what else to tell him....... I'de love to hear how others have dealt with this.....
Occasionally, after a Caillou show, ds will say he 'wants to go to school'. He has also said he wants "homework". I agree that he can do that whenever he'd like. And we discuss what does that mean to him and how that could look. He wants the teachers to let him be off from school whenever he wants and doesn't want to do sit down reading, writing or numbers. Also, he doesn't like the idea of going without me. He is 6.5.

I trust his judgment for himself. So, we just talk about it.

Pat

I have a blog.
#127 of 152 Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 PM

It's official! My oldest son is going to go to college in the fall! I am SO proud! He's 18, been basically unschooled since we pulled him and his 2 younger brothers out of public school 6 years ago.

He was slapped with the learning disability label at age 9, didn't start reading until he was 14, 2 years after they came home. Now he's going to college, grant it, its not Harvard just a local community college but he wants to start there and go into the Medical Laboratory field and eventual work his way through college and have a career doing drug research. Who knows, maybe he'll be the one to find a cure for cancer someday!!

The sky's the limit with this kid! I'm so proud! Kinda sad, it went so fast, so so so fast! But seeing him SO excited and so motivated is just beautiful. He's thanked me several times for homeschooling him, tells me it saved his life.

Hang in there, mama's!
You CAN do this! If I can do it, you can do it.
I was 18 when he was born, I had NO clue what I was doing, very little support. I just followed my mama heart and instincts and 18, almost 19, years later, I'm the mother of this amazing young man.
Don't doubt yourselves, you're doing a fantastic job! It's all gonna work out, my sons and I are living proof of it.
#128 of 152 Old 02-08-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolm22117 View Post
I was 18 when he was born, I had NO clue what I was doing, very little support. I just followed my mama heart and instincts and 18, almost 19, years later, I'm the mother of this amazing young man.
Congratulations! It's so nice hearing about it all working out.

#129 of 152 Old 02-08-2008, 11:42 PM

:

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
#130 of 152 Old 02-09-2008, 01:40 AM

We see you unlegal. Howdy.

Congrats to your Ds Carolm... that's so exciting!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#131 of 152 Old 02-09-2008, 12:55 PM

So, after two months, we have successfully deschooled (we started hsing in January and we had a transistional time where Maddie was always asking me what she should do, what I wanted her to write about, etc-very "teacher/student oriented").

Now, she gets up, goes and plays or writes or reads, asks to play math games online, we do crafts, play outside, etc. Right now she wants to learn about Native Americans, so we went to the library and got a stack of books. A few NA craft books, a book about Pocohantas, etc.
#132 of 152 Old 02-09-2008, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
In what way might you introduce a topic to a small child that he hasn't specifically asked to learn?
The same way you might tell a new riddle to a child s/he hasn't specifically asked to hear.

no longer momsling.GIF or ecbaby2.gif orfly-by-nursing1.gif ... dd is going on 10 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

#133 of 152 Old 02-09-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi View Post
The same way you might tell a new riddle to a child s/he hasn't specifically asked to hear.
Thanks for your perspective. Wanted to mention the question wasn't a general one-- it was a question for a particular person in a particular conversation. Which is only to say, as a general question, I am not sure what the question actually is/means. Generally. lol
#134 of 152 Old 02-09-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
You have to figure out how big of a piece you need to fill in an area. You don't have a 2 by 8 so you use a 2 by 2 and a 2 by 6 because 2 plus 6 is 8. You realize a 2 by 6 has 12 dots. Hey, 2 X 6 = 12. Does your child sit there and try one piece, then another, then another until he eventually finds one that fits? Or does he just look and pick up the one that will fit? He might alternate colors and make a pattern. Are patterns math? I dunno but I suspect they are. Legos are manipulatives just like cuisenaire rods.
Thanks. I get this. I'll have to pay closer attention to how ds puts things together just for my own curiosity. I think most of the time he just looks and picks the one that fits. I haven't noticed him trying this piece and then that one. I have no idea what cuisenaire rods are. I had to ask just a little while back what manipulatives were.

He's doing a lot of work with daddy right now. Daddy doesn't know it but he's a pretty good unschooler...hehehe.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#135 of 152 Old 02-09-2008, 05:36 PM

Hi all! We're here, but a tad busy at the moment with guests and such. This is us in a nutshell:

*Guitar Hero
*Cooking and eating
*Lots of talking late into the night
*Games!
*Music
*Movies!

Yay.

#136 of 152 Old 02-09-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
Are patterns math? I dunno but I suspect they are.
A repeating pattern with no gap has the maths label 'tessellation': think floor tiles. Escher's symmetry pictures are great for looking at this.

Here's a link to Cuisenaire rods tehy are great for reasoning why 11x11 is 121 if you make a square of 10 tens then add on to make 11 in each direction you have to add a little 1 square in the corner to make the square whole. It is a really visual way of thinking about multiplication of numbers bigger than 10 if you ever want to.

This week we have been playing with friends and listening to our littlest start to say all kinds of words including push (for the toy pushchair or for pushing her in it, zip, off and hold this which have been popular this week.

Dd has also taken a lot of photos some of which I have to look at carefully to see what they are; she takes pictures of things in the house in such a way that they look as if they are not ours! Some of the angles she sees things from are very different from my view of the house too and make it look like a different place. She also made me pull different faces for her then asked me to take pictures of her pulling the same faces then took pictures of her brothers doing the same.

We had a bag of clothes passed to us this week from a friend of a friend who knows that we can always make something from things that others have shrink in the wash! One was a stretchy vest top with a red lacy frill at the bottom in a cerise pink and purple/pink stripe. Dd wanted me to make her a skirt from it but then decided it could be sewn to the bottom of a t-shirt to make a dress. She picked out a t-shirt with lettuce edge sleeves that is a bit too big for her and showed me how long she wanted it to be. It was easy to sew and she wore it very proudly the next day.

She is also proud of being almost 5 as her birthday is the 18th and she has told so many people this week that I have been talking to her about what we can say when people ask her when she is going to start school. Her standard response is that school is blaaaaaah while shaking her head and letting her tongue flop about
#137 of 152 Old 02-09-2008, 06:46 PM

Guitar Hero rocks!

Digital cameras are so cool for letting the kids take pics. No worries about wasted film. They can keep or delete whatever they want and view instantly on the computer. My middle ds has taken some really cool pics even of himself. My oldest likes to take self portraits. (Is it a portrait if it's a photogragh?) He has lots of photos of himself on the computer. We had professional family photos taken yesterday. We haven't done that since 2005 so it was long overdue. We had fun with that.

My dh is looking up how to make a light saber for our 4yo and I'm going to attempt to make whole wheat sourdough bread tomorrow.

#138 of 152 Old 02-09-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
My dh is looking up how to make a light saber for our 4yo and I'm going to attempt to make whole wheat sourdough bread tomorrow.
or why don't you all combine your projects and make a whole wheat lightsaber? :

#139 of 152 Old 02-09-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Guitar Hero rocks!
I'll third that statement! When they first bought it, my teens were obsessed with it (still are kinda, but not nearly as bad as at first), their interest in the game lead directly to two of them picking up their older brothers acoustic guitar and learning how to pick songs on it. I told them if they kept the interest up, I'd be willing to buy them a real electric guitar.

They can't wait for the game Rock Band to come out on the Wii now too!

I know there are some cool plans for making Light sabers out of PVC pipe online somewhere.
#140 of 152 Old 02-09-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
A repeating pattern with no gap has the maths label 'tessellation'
Now I know how to label it for the authorities. Thanks. :

#141 of 152 Old 02-09-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolm22117 View Post
I know there are some cool plans for making Light sabers out of PVC pipe online somewhere.
I think that's what my dp is planning. He said something about plastic pipe and a flashlight. DS wants it to fold into itself.

#142 of 152 Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 PM

Well, our first week consciously trying to unschool has been quite a relief. We have had many weeks that we called life learning weeks in the past (about one a month) when we didn't attempt any structured academics, but this was our first attempt at really letting go.
My favorite thing is that by being less concerned by how dd is spending her time I have more time to pursue much neglected interests of my own which I know is really good for both of us.

I'm glad to say that dd has chosen to do alot of cooking this week and a woodworking project... making a shoe shelf for our kitchen where we are often tripping over all the dropped shoes. DD decided to drop her piano lessons and I am picking up my piano practicing. DD is putting some time into her theatre performance but not as much as if I was daily getting on her about her need to practice if she is making this commitment to others. Realistically she is practicing enough if not as much as I would prefer. Of course she is also a compulsive reader.

What she won't chose to do without my pressure and will be hard for me to let go of is math and writing. I have read enough of you successful unschoolers to almost be able to let go of that agenda of mine, but I am trying.

I am also thinking about the aspects of waldorf education that nourish the soul, but I really think focusing on my own spirituality can fill that void.
#143 of 152 Old 02-09-2008, 11:39 PM

Good for you, greenmama!

DS (12) has drawn up plans to make a ping-pong table top for our air hockey table. He measured, scaled, etc. Tomorrow we go to create a real list and cost estimate. Then he'll begin.

I found a fab thrift store today and got the older version of the V-Tech Explorer Globe for 3 year old DS. Also found the preschool BrainQuest which is awesome, as he loves to play with his brothers' which are for 7th and 9th grade.
#144 of 152 Old 02-10-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkerbell View Post

DS (12) has drawn up plans to make a ping-pong table top for our air hockey table.
We need to make a table top for ping pong as well--what is he using? We had a plastic material but there was no bounce...plywood doesn't seem like a good idea because of the rough surface, but I don't know how a finish would effect bounce. What materials are you using?

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#145 of 152 Old 02-10-2008, 11:15 PM

hey mamas
i'm still here, but not really around, since our lovely neighbour : cut our phone line again and we don't have internet at home atm.

so, i'll be back, but maybe not around much.
please send lots of loving, healing energy to my neighbour, that she might feel full of happiness, instead of being a psycho-b!tch, and we might have a phone line again

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#146 of 152 Old 02-11-2008, 12:42 AM

I wonder how we could get an unschooling forum--that would be so wonderful! Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a board like MDC, but just about unschooling?

For about 4 days now I have been on a new experiemtn with letting dd's activities be completely self-directed--like I don't suggest things for her to do. Too often I think I was suggesting/setting up more educational type things, and she may have felt that as pressure, and was possibly being turned off quite a bit.

So far, I am amazed by her creativiity...I'm thinking I could have just skipped that whole song and dance from the beginning and trusted her to direct her own time wisely...
#147 of 152 Old 02-11-2008, 05:28 AM

Very cool Wildflower!

Sorry about the neighbor Majik... she sounds, special. I hope you are connected asap.

VERY busy day here with a trip to the coast and back. Fun but exhausted! Hope to have a chance to chat more soon.

#148 of 152 Old 02-11-2008, 09:25 AM

Thought people might find this interesting. It's an article about the house my family is building....

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sub...-4717295c.html
#149 of 152 Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 AM

Oh yeah and all's well here. Me and ds had a fun morning saturday making perogies with my folks, I made them all day, he helped for awhile then went home. I spent the rest of the weekend studying and the kids hung out with DH, and then yesterday DH and I did some decluttering, as we're trying to get it under control before we start packing to move.......

It's still -40 here adn if it doesen't warm up soon I'm going to kill someone. I'm getting too pregnant to be dressing the kids and hauling them in and out of the car everyday just to get them somewhere warm to run around. I want to play outseide Wahhhhhhh!!!!!
#150 of 152 Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 AM

Wow, Heather, how exciting! I love the idea of a family home, and totally agree with you, space-wise. We have about 300sf per person here and we don't use all of it. I'd love to build a house around the way we live, rather than trying to fit the way we live into a house. When do you expect to be done?

wildflower, when you have a few days with nothing better to do, this thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ht=unschooling might explain where we stand on an unschooling forum.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page