Unschooling Support March - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 147 Old 03-03-2008, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought we still could use a monthly support/ chat thread for general discussion, so we don't have to start a whole thread just to "blather about going to the park and playing with legos" (in the wise words of 4evermom).

Our weekly HS meeting is getting better and better, I'm so excited about it.
And we are planning our trip to Asia next month. I got some books about China out of the library to read with DD. She commented that the people look like the Thais, and I explained about the Asian racial characteristics. She asked if they speak Thai in China (we lived in Thailand for a while), and we talked about Chinese. In the end, DD decided that she doesn't want to go to a place where the people look Thai, but don't speak Thai, and she'd much rather just stay in Bangkok
I laugh because I know the real reason she wants to be in Bangkok is that there's a 7/11 on every corner and it's cheap enough that I indulge her a lot more

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 147 Old 03-03-2008, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
I laugh because I know the real reason she wants to be in Bangkok is that there's a 7/11 on every corner and it's cheap enough that I indulge her a lot more
She thinks like my ds. Have an awesome trip!

Well, today we plan to go to the park and then come home and play with legos, lol.

I'm in a funk because my park buddy has gotten insecure with having her kids out of her sight in case she doesn't witness every interaction between them and other kids. A friend of hers gave her an inaccurate description of our kids negotiating possession of a toy so she thinks she didn't notice some big traumatic scene. I was right there and helped the kids work it out but evidently I'm not trustworthy enough.

But we are meeting someone new today. The kids are younger than mine so it may not be good playmate material for ds, but the oldest is a boy and maybe only a year younger so maybe they will play well together. Maybe. Except mine woke up at 4am. And I had insomnia and have been mostly awake since 1:30 am. So we will have a nap before we play with legos, lol. (I scored a $50 playset for $7 on clearance!)

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 147 Old 03-03-2008, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

sorry you can't sleep mama
hope it goes well with your new friends.
I'm off to bed. We have a playdate tomorrow with one of the families from our HS group

#4 of 147 Old 03-03-2008, 09:45 AM

I just found out I have strep throat, most likely picked up at the school where I teach piano lessons. I'm working hard to prevent my kids from getting it. It's incredibly painful.

DD has been doing colour-by-number almost non-stop this weekend.

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#5 of 147 Old 03-03-2008, 10:29 AM

yuk on sore throats and no sleep!

yah for trips and kid logic!

We are still organizing and sorting for our move. Movers just came today and will give us an estimate. We buy our flight today (company paid, thank god, cuz it's over 1000 for each of us! YIKES!) and DHL (like FedEx) our application into the apt today.

I'm trying hard to give DD the attention she needs. And I'm making sure she has her friends over and a babysitter when I can't meet her needs. (And talking with Pia's ds on the phone, which she loves )The first two days home from vacation were mad busy and she felt neglected. (bad mom!)

I'm really feeling better that we (DH and I) went through the playroom and got all the trash out and toys in bins. Whew! But still, I"m stressed and feel like my stomach is in knots. Been listening to lots of Busta Rhymes today in order to C-H-I-L-L! "If you really wanna party with me, put your hands where my eyes can see!"
#6 of 147 Old 03-03-2008, 11:12 AM

We had a sad week last week, two of my kids were sick and we had a funeral. Dd is still sick and now my youngest seems to have caught it...blech.

We did manage to go see a play on Friday night--a friend's unschooled dd was in it, although it was a school production. There was an amazing amount of talent on that stage and we enjoyed ourselves. Then, we walked outside to a winter wonderland of icy, unplowed, unfamiliar streets.

Ds1 had a birthday this weekend, and I think today we'll be lying low and trying to get everyone healthy again.

I had one of those moments this weekend where you wonder, "Is it ME?" We had a group of little kids over, ages 2, 6, 7, 7, 8, and 10. At one point, they all ran around grabbing up every pillow and blanket they could find in order to build a "fort" in a closet. The other mothers thought they shouldn't do that, but didn't give a reason. I gave a so they allowed it. Later, when they each had bowls of ice cream, they headed for the fort to eat there and again, the parents jumped in with "I don't think that's a good idea." I shrugged and got a surprised, "You're OKAY with that?" Which left me feeling,

I can't figure out the objection to the fort-building in the first place--especially since these kids build forts every single time they come to my house. Maybe the parents never noticed? And the only objection I can think of to eating in the fort might have been spills. But these parents KNOW me. I have a "It'll all come out in the wash" mantra when it comes to that stuff.

It was just weird. Do people usually freak out about this stuff? Maybe I spend too much time with my unschooling friends.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#7 of 147 Old 03-03-2008, 01:45 PM

Karaboo- What kind of work do you do? I'd love to travel!

We've been unschooling since December. I think Dh might finally be on board with it. I was telling him yesterday about how I want to go to the live and learn conference in September. He's so afraid that our kids will turn out to be uneducated and I just don't believe that will happen. I explained to him that we're giving our kids so many opportunities. That he's allowing us the freedom to do whatever we want and that I really appreciate it and am grateful for it. They still watch a lot of tv and play video games. And I keep telling myself that they probably still need to deschool. And they have dance, karate, and now guitar and piano lessons so its not like we're sitting around all day either.
Sorry for all the rambling lol

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#8 of 147 Old 03-03-2008, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yay a thread for March.

We've been a little busy with doggy raising. He's a little Mr. Chewy right now. He managed to find a tube of green acryclic paint and this is the result! What a silly boy.

I've been sick with a AI flare up but I'll be fine. It just means I move at a slower pace for awhile.

Dh is in UT for work until at least Thursday so we are missing him.

The kids and I watched a cool show on Discovery last night called "Human Body: Pushing the Limits" It was really cool. There was awesome animation about what the body does in extreme situations like surviving a tornado or falling whille rock climbing, It was all about strength. I hope to catch it again next time.

Good luck to all those with exciting moving and travel plans!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#9 of 147 Old 03-03-2008, 03:56 PM

we saw that on discovery too last night!!! ds was real interested, dd was a little then went off to bed. I learned what cones and rods looked like too--i had no idea what they supposedly looked like!

Sorry everyones been so sick lately! to all! (Including me lol)

Ds had a friend sleepover the other night so they were off doing boy things, building, pretend fighting, jamming with guitars lol. My 5 y/o got her ears pierced after months of thinking about it. She was extremely excited! she did cry a little but when she got down she was smiling and ran to dh and was yelling "THANK YOU DADDY!!!" it was so cute. She picked pink flowers to pierce with. She told me later it was because she loves flowers and because pink is her birthstone. She was really great and said she would do it again lol.

Today the kids helped me with some chores since i woke up feeling like i got hit by a train. I cant tell if this is lyme or im getting sick--its always hard to tell. I actually had to sleep until 9---usually my inner alarm makes me get up around 730ish every morning. Today i had to sleep in--i was really tired and sick. Achy and fever-feeling--no fever, but feeling like i have one. After breakfast we watched mythbusters and how its made--how cool were those two shows lol! kinda on the fence about cable---but im allowing myself to like it lol. We just tried a new gluten free bread recipe--ds wanted blueberry bread, so we found one calling for bananas but we used substitutes and hopefully it will come out ok I told him you never know how these experiments will turn out! we used potato flour, rice flour, and garbanzo bean/fava bean flour. Hopefully it will work!

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#10 of 147 Old 03-03-2008, 06:43 PM

sorry everyone is sick! my dd was puking last night but I think it's residual from the cold. I think she starts coughing and it leads to puking....yuck.

dh and I went to a home education conference yesterday and we got to see sandra dodd and pam sorooshian speak. It was awesome! pam was a much better speaker than sandra IMO, but she was still fun and shared some cute stories. it was really beneficial for dh to hear and see all these other people that are unschooling and explain in it a new way. especially pam with all the math stuff because that's dh's only real concern...but not anymore. we just feel so reassured. here's us outside the conference...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...random/016.jpg

we also snuck over to ikea while we were there and i picked up a little teaset that i'm hoping the kids have fun with. got some new paints and paper too.

right now ella is painting and nic is playing a star wars game. nic was re-enacting a battle scene and was telling me about slicing the sith's arms off and such. i went into a very dramatic "omg nic, what if we go to playgroup and you start slicing off all your friends arms??!!!" we had a good laugh.

ella had 3 fairy dolls in her hand yesterday and put on in the other hand and said "now I only have 2". It was cool.

we got two little robo hamsters so we've been playing with them. we're also raising a praying mantis and some butterflies.

Ok, here's a picture to make all you cold weather people jealous we went swimming this weekend, it was about 75 degrees and beautiful.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...random/010.jpg

blogging.jpg 
#11 of 147 Old 03-03-2008, 07:01 PM

Sorry so many people are sick!

We had a good time at the park with our new friends. We came home and slept for 3 hours.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#12 of 147 Old 03-03-2008, 07:14 PM

and : to all the sickly ones among us. Now nobody cough on their monitor, I don't want to get sick again too

Ds and I both have 5 straight days off work, the most time we've had, undisturbed, together in about 2 years. We'll be cleaning and nesting most of the week

Ds went out and bought himself Guitar Hero for his Wii. He's been waiting since Xmas for this game, all the stores in the city are still sold out of the guitar controller, but he finally broke down and couldn't wait anymore

Ds has downloaded a butt load of emulators of old video games, so that's mostly what we've been up to, ds playing old Mario games and Prince of Tennis (it's a Japanese manga-based game about teens with incredible tennis powers. Seriously ), and I've been playing Banjo-Kazooie

It's cooooold out today : Thanks for the envy, Granolapunk! It's actually relatively warm for March here (-29 with the windchill), but we just had two warm days and I'm bitter cause I had to work on both of them (in an arena, no less! ) I'm hoping for a nice day this week where ds and I can get outside for the whole day, before we will both be working again for almost 2 weeks straight.
#13 of 147 Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 PM

I had a very "low energy day" today. DD and I basically played on the computers all day.

At one point, I was playing on Webkinz while she lurked MDC!

Oh, and our newest project is the new hamster! We still need to name the (not so) little guy!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#14 of 147 Old 03-04-2008, 03:50 AM

Tonight we made peanut butter cookies. Two batches, one vegan and one not. We stood around and talked politics and religions and then that lead us, somehow, into lines of work and income. Good stuff!

Now Ds is upstairs watching a movie and Dd is in the living room watching "My Name Is Earl".

I hope to get some good sleep tonight. I washed all my bedding and it's always so nice to sleep in clean sheets and blankets!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#15 of 147 Old 03-04-2008, 03:59 AM

Wow, that sucks that so many folks are sick! Get better!

The boys and I made goop from corn starch, water, and food coloring today. It was warm enough outside that DH took them to the park this afternoon. He also took Aleks to speech therapy this morning, then they had to do "homework" (ugh!!!!!!!!) this evening. I missed this whole thing, but Jon says that his Fs are doing very poorly, which is weird. I don't know what to think about it. I don't want him to have to do schooly things, but I understand the importance of the speech therapy, especially since his mouth is all messed up. I dunno. I guess as long as it remains fun for him it's okay.

Aleks and I also had a long talk about the surgery he has to have next year. He really doesn't want to have it. I told him all the details (he brought the subject up to me). I tried to reassure him that it's not for a long time and that we don't need to think about it right now. I also told him that I understood that he didn't want to have it and hugged him and told him I loved him. I think it was a good talk, but one that wasn't fun...

This evening I went to see a surprise, super-secret Arcade Fire show, which was a rally for Obama. We got to go in early by canvassing for an hour. I felt like such a sell-out though because I voted early and didn't vote for Obama. But I love me some Arcade Fire. I dunno. I don't hate Obama or anything. My husband and I split our votes because he did vote for him. It's not like me to not have a definitive opinion on something, but honestly I don't. The whole election has been very confusing for me. I still don't know what I'll do in the general.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#16 of 147 Old 03-04-2008, 04:01 AM
Dar

I am so tired... I read the thread title and thought you'd been marching in support of unschooling somewhere... I wanted to hear all about the Unschooling March!

ANyway, carry on...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#17 of 147 Old 03-04-2008, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
I am so tired... I read the thread title and thought you'd been marching in support of unschooling somewhere... I wanted to hear all about the Unschooling March!

ANyway, carry on...

Dar
I'm in, where are we meeting?
#18 of 147 Old 03-04-2008, 04:10 AM

Ds has spent much of the entire day playing Guitar Hero, he finished co-op mode on easy (don't ask) and I overheard him telling a friend he'd unlocked Tom Morello as a secret character

Ds asked me earlier what sound dogs make in French (I speak French), since he's learning that sound effects and onomatopaeic words are very different in Japanese than English (from reading manga and watching anime, a lot of Japanese humour is pun based, and you need to know the japanese word to get the joke.) So I looked online and found this page, which was a hoot to read through (seriously, are English and Russian the only languages that have a sound for camels nuzzing? And why are Swedes the only people who need a word for the sound moose make?)
#19 of 147 Old 03-04-2008, 09:41 AM

omg, my dd is going to LOVE that page--I can't wait till she wakes up, lol.

ds just got Guitar Hero for his birthday. (It was impossible to find around here for a few months, so I was really psyched to find it in time for his b-day.) He'd played at friends' houses, but now it's here and he's trying to catch up to his friends' levels. I completed my very first song yesterday (82%, thankyouverymuch.)

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#20 of 147 Old 03-04-2008, 02:09 PM

I will show ds that site hes big into french---he does this thing online that shows him on a video how to speak and ask for thigns--we are both learning actually its pretty cool. he's been asking for escargo for months and finally dh found some and brought some home---i am not sure if ds liked it much though I know i didnt even WANT to try it lol! ds ate it and said he loved it--but left a bunch lol. He is BIG into everything french, he even sends out postcards (we trade postcards with kids all over the world) and says "Bonjour(that means hello in French)" to people. Hes a riot lol! He will speak french whenever he can and does an awesome accent lol.

today i am still not well so we are just watching how its made and we finished mythbusters a little while ago, but we didnt know--it was a repeat from last night. ds still wanted to watch it but i went upstairs to do some tai chi. girls are just playing today and writing in their books that they are in love with making. I think they have about 15 short stories so far.

Oh i love guitar hero also, but we dont have it. I just love playing it when my brother in law had it here. I do the easy one though so i always get a good score lol.

Oh the bread we made yesterday was awesome--so good! it was the one with potato flour, garbanzo/fava flour, and rice flour. We are going to try making more today with applesauce instead of blueberries. it was really good! And we baked a vegetarian meatloaf which was really great--red lentils, onion, garlic, 1 egg, oats, pasta sauce, spices--it was really good. they love to cook.

Hope everyone is feeling better!

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#21 of 147 Old 03-04-2008, 02:55 PM

That website is brilliant! We're just happy to be seeing grass again as the snow is receding.
#22 of 147 Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi! We just got back from a trip to Ohio-the girls actually got to play in some REAL snow!

I bought the girls some math workbooks today-they really like them! I had to stop myself from telling them to take a break.

Maddie is writing a book about our trip, and trying to dissect our convoluted family tree! I just found out the my grandmother married her ex husbands ex brother-in-law some 40 years ago! I never knew that my dad's stepbrother was also his cousin!

We found a cool Harry Potter Haiku page
and she is learning how to write her own haikus.

Oh, she also learned two more chords on the guitar....
#23 of 147 Old 03-05-2008, 04:26 AM

Oooh I love Haiku! Fun subject too.

My Dd loves workbooks too. Ds not so much, but even he has been turning to Dd's as he prepares for the GED.

Today was laid back. I made some vegan chili early in the day so we didn't have to do much later. It turns out we ate most of that for lunch so I made pancake right before American Idol. (It always seems I'm working in the kitchen when it comes on grrr!) We watched that and then really enjoyed the premiere of "New Amsterdam" that followed.

Dd was having fun watching Japanese anime and trying to learn some of the words from it. Ds walked to the store a bit ago to get some soda, and now he's upstairs playing Guildwars or something.

#24 of 147 Old 03-05-2008, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've been indulging my historical novel lust, reading The Queen's Fool by Phillipa Gregory. It somehow symbolizes to me my new-ish inner state of trust in dd's unschooling--for months this fall/winter I felt unable to pick up a good novel, like if I had spare moments I should be madly researching ways to sneak in learning or planning activites. Sigh...It's so lovely to just read and read while I nurse the baby through his three hour nap, meanwhile taking peeks at dd as she (yesterday and the day before) created a huge sculpture with a jar, glitter, and sculpy dough entitled "Ocean of Love", randomly picked up books and checked for things she could read alone, dressed up in her bellydance clothes and took a movie of herself, and wrote a note to an elf with adorable invented spelling. I couldn't have 'planned' it better myself!
#25 of 147 Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAK's Mom View Post
That website is brilliant! We're just happy to be seeing grass again as the snow is receding.
You have grass? In Alaska? In March?

Jeez, Manitoba sucks :

It's -20 today, -30 with the wind chill. There is still 3 feet of snow on the ground. Our spring thaw doesn't start till the end of April, sometimes not till the end of May.

On a brighter note, ds announced last night that he's been thinking it over and he wants to learn to play the bass. With no previous discussion, even hint that he's even interested in an instrument

So today we went out and checked out guitars and decided on a nice little cheap package with amp and accessories. He put down half the money today (I pitched in half, so 1/4 actually) and he'll pay it off over the next two paydays. He's hoping he'll have enough money to pay off the bass and pay off his pre-ordered copy of Smash Brothers Brawl, that's he's been (very im-)patiently waiting to come out for 2 years He's really enjoying this whole having an income of his own thing

My best friend's brother happens to play bass, and is pretty serious about it as an instrument, so I'm hoping he can at least give ds some pointers on how to get started, and some direction in what sort of style he'd like to play. If it works out that they're comfortable with each other to do lessons, that would be super cool, but ds is really resistant, initially, to lessons (he likes to know what he's doing before he starts asking questions and taking direction), and my friend's bro is terminally shy and socially very, um, not timid, resistant, he doesn't like to talk, he likes to play bass and fool around with cables and such, so don't know how he'd feel about giving lessons. I see the two of them being more like a "ask questions, get advice" kind of partnership.

Hey UnschoolnMa, what anime is your dd watching? What sites does she use? Ds obsessively checks Anime Junkie about 20 times a day, checking for updates. He watches about 10 or 15 shows at a time and is always waiting for updates on some of them There are a few other sites he watches, but he says this one is the best.

I was a huuuuge workbook fan as a little girl, the feel of fresh, unsullied paper, the smell of a new book... ahhhh

And then I'd get bored on about page 3 and go back to colouring Drove my teachers nuts I just didn't want to spoil the wonderful book with, you know, writing and stuff.

Ds never liked workbooks, colouring books, anything like that. He couldn't see any point in a book that wasn't for either a) reading, or b) wrecking
#26 of 147 Old 03-05-2008, 07:00 PM

So since we dont have guitar hero, I thought for others who dont either might like this: http://www.addictinggames.com/supercrazy2.htm

Ds has been playing this for a few weeks now and finally mastered it! Every level he has gotten through--what amazing eye hand coordination he has! his fingers FLY!

Today we didnt do too much . Wrote out a few postcards, watched some mythbusters again. Talked about what kind of things they want to do--and dd told me that she wants to be a vet when she gets older and I said well what do you think we need to do for that and she goes "Play with animals." I told her that sometimes you have to give medications too and you have to decide if you want to that...she just shrugged and said "I want to be a doula too because I love babies." Ds hates math he said. I told him i did too. I still do. I choose not to have a job that requires much math--one reason why i am no longer a nurse.

cello lessons and playdates with friends---and oh i caught dd reading books to dd5 ....pretty educational books about animals, math and then one about fear factor lol! never seen the show, but the book is pretty nasty too!

#27 of 147 Old 03-05-2008, 07:04 PM

That Anime Junkie site looks awesome!

I've had a really horrible day and it was all moving related. Yuk.

I'll be glad when we just GET there and get a bed to sleep in and some food in our fridge. Then we can hole up and get over our jetlag and get on with life. Blech.
#28 of 147 Old 03-05-2008, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Yay a thread for March.

We've been a little busy with doggy raising. He's a little Mr. Chewy right now. He managed to find a tube of green acryclic paint and this is the result! What a silly boy.
so cute U'Ma I hadn't heard the news about your new doggy, having not been online much in the last month. glad to hear it. (and still missing off-with-the-faeries Lexy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post

ANyway, carry on...

Dar
:
I literally spluttered onto the screen when I read that.
Unschooling Support March.

hey, it's a good idea. I'll be there with placards and banners. and I'll make cakes to share

and in 2 months we can have Unschooling Support May... (May what???)

#29 of 147 Old 03-06-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
and in 2 months we can have Unschooling Support May... (May what???)
, and at Dar's unschooling "march"!

I'm so happy that these monthly threads are continuing. While I'm thrilled to have our own forum, I was a bit overwhelmed at first and missed hearing what you all have been up to.

Ds has been away all week at a holiday camp with an unschooling friend and his family. They first invited him 3 years ago, and it's become an annual trip in March.

Dh and his brother have been working outside our house all day, and dd has been hanging out with them. They're paying her to keep them topped up with coffee, and gave her some scraps of wood which she's using to build a bird house. She's decided she wants a fort, so dh told her to draw some plans and they'll build it together as soon as he has some free time.

Dd and I have volunteered for a toad collecting event in a nearby village. Traffic in the village has increase so much that a native toad species is in danger of not being able to safely travel to the pond where they lay their eggs. So, Countryside Services has organized a team of volunteers to collect as many toads as possible, carry them across the road and release them near the pond. Our first session is on the 15th.
#30 of 147 Old 03-06-2008, 01:08 PM

I am back again with another question. I am so bad at this.....

I got a letter from the state (VT) that everyone gets this time of year. It outlined what is expected, yadda yadda. Normally, when we were homeschooling I would send in the appropriate things for the end of year assessment. We are unschooling and do not do many workbook pages unless they drag them out and do them..which is never the case.

I called the woman in the office to explain exactly what they are looking for for each subject. They are looking for between 3-5 examples of work, meaning workbook pages or homemade worksheets. What if i dont have this? I definitely have this for social studies and english type things...art is way easy, gym is way easy to document, health easy peasy.....i guess its math. when we play a game we have scrap paper which ive saved so I guess that counts. I asked about games online that ds plays which is a basketball game but to move ahead on the court you have to solve multiplication and division..and it gives you scrap paper to do it on, online complete with numbers and signs to drag. I cant print it though and she said thats not really acceptable. I took a picture of him doing it and she said for fun just send it in if i want. But if thats all i have it wont be acceptable. If i get all wrapped up in worrying about this, i get upset. So far so good...I am not upset and my kids are happily doing what they need to be. Dd has a few math pages so I think that will be enough. Ds doesnt really. He does do top secret adventures so if I look through that I m sure ill find some long hand math to submit.

It seems like everyone here doesnt have to submit--is that true for you all? I wish i lived in a state where I didnt have to submit---they are looking for worksheets, but she also said other forms are acceptable like pictures and field trip documentation. I am so happy unschooling, but I worry that they can force us to do things we just dont want to do. I dont even think there are unschoolers in my area who submit--they all are underground. I wish i knew better when i was young and started homeschooling--i didnt know i could go underground. its illegal in our state, that I know--but most unschoolers here are underground and unknown. I could use a local support group lol!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page