RU's please educate us here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love to read more about what you think is or isn't RU without taking away from the support thread for self identified Non-RUs.

So - if you have something you want to tell us about what falls under the RU definition for you, please do so here.

Thanks!
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Dar

Well, since you asked... and since I suggested it...

For me, radical unschooling is simply about encouraging and supporting my child in following her chosen path in all areas of life, rather than only as far traditional academic areas. It's interesting that at some times she's seemed very "behind" in both academic and non-academic areas, and at other times she's seemed very "ahead." For example, I never pushed her to wean, or sleep in her own bed, or dress herself... so while she could dress herself before age 2, I often did it for her when she was 4 or 5, because it worked for both of us. I guess that's the other key - we did things in ways that worked for both of us, when they affected both of us.

I share my opinions, and if Rain asks me to help her with following through on something, like going running in the mornings or practicing French, then I'm happy to do so (and she does the same for me, FWIW).

I don't think expecting kids to self-regulate means expecting them to necessarily reach an equilibrium that I think it optimal... I think Rain watches too many reruns of stupid reality tv shows, for example, and I've thought so ever since we got cable a year or more ago...

It's funny - I think I started parenting and unschooling Rain this way because it was so hard to get her to do things she didn't want to do anyway - better to work with the raging bull than stand in the way, you know? - but because she listens to what I suggest and takes me seriously, I actually think I have a better shot of convincing her to change her course now than I would if I tried to make her do things.

Rain has the flu right now, poor chickie, and she's basically been sleeping and lolling on the couch for two days. I've become a lot more "directive" with her sick, because she just feels yucky and just wants anything that will make her feel better. So when she was coughing, I told her I was making her throat coat tea with honey, and I did. She thinks it tastes gross and wrinkled her nose, but she also trusts me to make decisions that will help her feel better, so she drank it.

That's all I can think of...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 03-05-2008, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
For me, radical unschooling is simply about encouraging and supporting my child in following her chosen path in all areas of life, rather than only as far traditional academic areas. .............. I guess that's the other key - we did things in ways that worked for both of us, when they affected both of us.
The same goes for my family as well. If we're both involved or affected we are both naturally interested in making things work. It's a process, sometimes a bumpy one, but it all goes back to that base or foundation that we've built over the years.

Quote:
I don't think expecting kids to self-regulate means expecting them to necessarily reach an equilibrium that I think it optimal... I think Rain watches too many reruns of stupid reality tv shows, for example, and I've thought so ever since we got cable a year or more ago...
Yes. I think sometimes people outside of RU might be misunderstanding is that we all always agree on everything or that we do things the same way. Dd watches a lot of things I'd never watch, I watch things she'd never watch, and Ds watches things neither of us would watch, etc. The kids like anime, for example, and I just would rather watch grass grow. Thank the heavens for multiple TV's and rooms in which to watch them LOL.

Quote:
but because she listens to what I suggest and takes me seriously, I actually think I have a better shot of convincing her to change her course now than I would if I tried to make her do things.
Right! My kids have a history of me treating them as people, not just a kids and therefore incapable of bringing anything valuable to a situation or conversation. They trust my intentions.

This concludes this section of "Lets quote Dar and say crap she's already said better than me!"

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 03-05-2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Well, since you asked... and since I suggested it...

For me, radical unschooling is simply about encouraging and supporting my child in following her chosen path in all areas of life, rather than only as far traditional academic areas.
Dar

for me the "radical" in radical unschooling is having a very, very open mind as to what "education" is and extending the idea of empowered, supported exploration & experimentation, that some unschoolers have around maths/ english etc into all aspects of life (or in my case– as many that my emotional baggage can deal with at any point in time).

Obviously its not radical unparenting – insert usual disclaimer about being proactive and supportive about health, active experiences etc – but really giving the child power to choose and explore decisions, interests & passions.

My journey has meant letting go of attachments about what my kids are choosing to do in a particular moment and what I want them to learn..

Instead these days i try to focus on:
  1. how can i best support their decisions/ interests (includes trying to work out when the best support involves butting out and doing nothing/ raising new ideas/ provide resources & info/ asking questions etc)
  2. thinking about context. Which includes my modelling, the physical & emotional environment (people, games, objects, foods i help to bring into the picture), and general influences & inspiration that my choices bring.

Its still a dynamic thing, so their choices, interests and actions impact on me and my thinking also ... but i have found that shift to focussing on helping to create an empowering context for all aspects of our lives, rather than thinking about outcomes for my children to assist my transition into the RU world.

arun
Old 03-05-2008, 08:54 AM

How do you guys balance everyone's needs in the family and stay true to the trust you have in your child? (THis may not be coming out right...I'm in a hurry! LOL)

For example, my dd likes to sleep in our bed. I like waking up with her but sometimes have trouble falling asleep with her and dh and the cat all on top of me (and we have a BIG bed!). Also, dh and I need our time too.

I have been trying various scenarios but someone is always unhappy.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
How do you guys balance everyone's needs in the family and stay true to the trust you have in your child? (THis may not be coming out right...I'm in a hurry! LOL)

For example, my dd likes to sleep in our bed. I like waking up with her but sometimes have trouble falling asleep with her and dh and the cat all on top of me (and we have a BIG bed!). Also, dh and I need our time too.

I have been trying various scenarios but someone is always unhappy.
Sometimes solutions are easy and sometimes it takes a lot of creativity and trying many different ideas. I think the key is to be wide open about the possibilities for making it work. And it's going to be a very individualized solution. In your situation, *I* might add a twin bed next to ours to make it even bigger, or I might put the cat elsewhere, or I might get up and make some chamomille tea to help myself fall asleep, or I might explain to everyone that while I like sleeping NEXT to them, I don't like people on TOP of me...maybe none of these will work for you, but that's my point--finding what works for you all might not be something that anyone else has thought of yet.

And, while everyone, (babies and small children included) should have their needs respected and be consulted regarding solutions, when they're very small, the parent is the one doing more of the work. Not that the parent gets to decide, or gets more of a say, but the parent needs to be the one to find the solution. The kids participate more actively in problem-solving as they get older, but their needs are met, regardless.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Right! My kids have a history of me treating them as people, not just a kids and therefore incapable of bringing anything valuable to a situation or conversation.
I'm not trying to stir up debate here. I just want to point out that these types of statements are what leave many non-RUers cold. I am not RU, but I definitely treat my kids like people, and I definitely know that my kids have very valuable things to bring to conversations and situations. I mean, I wouldn't have had kids had I thought otherwise, kwim?

It's the either/or thing that we talked about in the other thread, where I pointed out that there seems to be an attitude of you either treat your kids with respect (the RU way) or you don't (every other way).

UnchoolnMa, I generally really respect the things you say, but statements like this seem really ... I don't know, conceited is not the right word, but, you know, like you treat your kids well and everyone else doesn't.

dm
Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmamama View Post
It's the either/or thing that we talked about in the other thread, where I pointed out that there seems to be an attitude of you either treat your kids with respect (the RU way) or you don't (every other way).

UnchoolnMa, I generally really respect the things you say, but statements like this seem really ... I don't know, conceited is not the right word, but, you know, like you treat your kids well and everyone else doesn't.

dm
It's a sensitive subject. But if I said, "I nursed my children on demand" that doesn't imply that no one else does. If I say, "I respect my children" it doesn't mean no one else does.

Respecting my children as whole persons is a key component to our every day interactions. I want to help them meet their needs as they see them, not as I define them. I offer my advice, ideas, experiences, etc. but realize that what's true for me, may not be true for them.

I think saying "I respect my children" is a sort of shorthand when it comes to RU and encompasses the idea of self-determination and autonomy. (Again, we're back to definitions.)

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
It's the either/or thing that we talked about in the other thread, where I pointed out that there seems to be an attitude of you either treat your kids with respect (the RU way) or you don't (every other way).dm
i know this area can be full of land mines and that people feel judged (often because some RU advocates do judge). But ive not seen that happen on this board and particularly not from people such as UnschoolnMa.

The way i read that comment about treating kids as people, not kids was more about a RU paradigm shift that i certainly went through.

Often the way i try to implement RU principles with my kids now is asking myself, "would i say that to my partner in that way?" as a guide.

Whether it be in the way i offer advice, express frustration or give compliments. Still being age appropriate in language but the paradigm is treating them as an equal player and perhaps even instilling in them more power than they naturally have in such situations. (ive re written that bit twice and still have not made it clear enough... sorry)

so for example I would not say "its time for bed" to my partner if she was up late. But if i could see she was exhausted and stuck i might ask what was going on for her and if she needed a hand getting moving.

this is not inherently judgemental –*i do honestly believe that parents can treat their children respectfully and not come from this perspective. But often they are treating them more as children and offering more defined guidance and options... still with love and respect... but its different (to quote seinfield..."not that there's anything wrong with that!").

im not sure if that was the intention of that particular comment and perhaps if it was it could have been clarified... but that's the way i read it and i found it to be a useful point.

Its unfortunate that we are in such a charged context with some unfortunate exchanges happening on other lists in particular. It makes it difficult to post quick comments without explaining points to ensure they are not taken the wrong way.

I guess that means for some choosing words with sensitivity and occasionally putting in those points of clarification. For others it might mean reading posts and assuming that the poster had the best (non judgemental) intentions behind their words...

that sort of approach has certainly been my experience of this board to date

arun
Old 03-05-2008, 01:08 PM

hmmm... i finally read through some of the "non RU" thread that was mentioned... perhaps it is naive of me to believe that we could all live in peace, harmony non judgemental heaven...
Old 03-05-2008, 01:55 PM

I think it's just so hard in situations like this. Here we have a bunch of passionate women who feel so strongly about their choices, but don't have the time and attention to put tons of thought into their posts, and are usually talking to faceless cyber-people. So you have quick replies and defensive reactions and lots of heated emotions.

I know there are loads of really judgmental RUers out there, but there's lots of us who aren't militant, all-or-nothing, 'I love my child more than you love yours', unschoolier than thou, hardened jerks. Lots of us are nice people trying to clarify where we've been misunderstood and/or lumped in with heartless meanies.

It is really hard for me not to pipe up when I hear people misunderstanding what RU is, especially because I used to be that person saying "well I could never RU because xyz, and I need to PARENT my child." Turns out I had no idea what I was talking about, and was pretty much already RU. Why didn't I know the difference? Because every time people started to talk about the differences it turned into a flame war. I really hope that doesn't happen here.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
Fortunately I don't think that unpleasant exchange represents the opinions of the majority of the RU's here.
I agree.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:24 PM

I really didn't mean to start an argument. As I said, I respect the things UnschoolnMa has to say, and I don't think she said anything with mean intention. But I do think that there are RUers who honestly believe that their way is the only way in the universe to treat kids well, and I do think that attitude sometimes creeps (or barges) into posts here.

dm
Old 03-05-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne+arun View Post
The way i read that comment about treating kids as people, not kids was more about a RU paradigm shift that i certainly went through.

Often the way i try to implement RU principles with my kids now is asking myself, "would i say that to my partner in that way?" as a guide.
I agree with this perspective, and share it. (In fact, my DH has heard me rant often enough about the importance of viewing and treating children as people instead of just as "kids".)

But the thing is, sometimes my husband and I will tell each other what to do, if needed. If DH thinks it's okay to not wash his hands after going pee, or that just rinsing his fingertips under the water counts as "washing his hands", I'll tell him, "Uhm, no, that's gross. Go wash your hands properly." Or if my blood sugar levels are all out of whack from not eating and I'm acting all wiggy because of it, my husband will insist, "K, you have to eat something", even if I don't want to. So I don't think it's hypocritical or disrespectful of us to likewise insist that DS wash his hands after going potty or attend to his his basic nutritional needs (although, in DS's case, I'd use much gentler wording than "That's gross; go wash your hands." ) We may have to insist somewhat less frequently with each other than we do with DS, because we're more capable at our developmental level of considering each other's perspectives, but sometimes we do still insist when we feel it's important. It's a matter of us looking out for each other's well-being, even sometimes despite ourselves, and of living together as a family when the consequences of our actions affect others in the family (such as not washing our hands potentially making ourselves and others in the home sick.)

I don't know, maybe that just makes you glad that you're not married to me. But it works for us.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milakais View Post
But the thing is, sometimes my husband and I will tell each other what to do, if needed...We may have to insist somewhat less frequently with each other than we do with DS, because we're more capable at our developmental level of considering each other's perspectives, but sometimes we do still insist when we feel it's important. It's a matter of us looking out for each other's well-being, even sometimes despite ourselves, and of living together as a family when the consequences of our actions affect others in the family (such as not washing our hands potentially making ourselves and others in the home sick.)

I don't know, maybe that just makes you glad that you're not married to me. But it works for us.
I do this too. And am still on the path of figuring out how to word things to my kids. I still end up saying, "Put your coat on," "Get dressed," "stop that," et cetera. I tell my husband what to do too and he tells me what to do as well. But our wording is certainly slightly different and intent changed.

It has taken me a year-and-a-half to start using the RU label to self-identify as I had a lot of the same anxieties that the self-identified non-RUers are pointing out. I too felt that I was being judged or that there was only one right way. Now, I think it's a process. I still have incredibly young children and they are pretty willing to let me direct them a lot. I hate to say that kids want boundaries, but I think that my kids don't necessarily want the entire world of possibilities open to them. They're not going out and getting jobs and buying their own food. We have lots of limits, but they're based on everyone's needs and not just mine. We just are in a process of learning to question every assumption we have. That's gonna take awhile.

I will say that on the other thread there were some implications that were unsettling and that did not appropriately depict what I believe RU is. I don't think I was just being sensitive.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to stir up debate here. I just want to point out that these types of statements are what leave many non-RUers cold. I am not RU, but I definitely treat my kids like people, and I definitely know that my kids have very valuable things to bring to conversations and situations. I mean, I wouldn't have had kids had I thought otherwise, kwim?

dm
I appreciate your honesty.

I do apologize if it sounds like I think I'm the best thing since sliced bread and you all suck. I absolutely don't mean it that way. I understand that people that do not parent like me love and listen to their kids, and I don't mean to imply that you are constantly disrespecting them or anything.

Do you think it maybe comes down to a difference in how we define respect in certain situations as well as our role as parents? I think it must.

Some of the things that parents see as respecting their children often strikes me as anything but. It's just a different perspective I guess.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 03-05-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I really didn't mean to start an argument. As I said, I respect the things UnschoolnMa has to say, and I don't think she said anything with mean intention. But I do think that there are RUers who honestly believe that their way is the only way in the universe to treat kids well, and I do think that attitude sometimes creeps (or barges) into posts here.

dm
Thanks!

I have seen the kind of thing you are referring to, and I agree that sort of thing can be frustrating. The "My way is the only way anything can work ever" doesn't lead to good conversation. I think saying "This is the way that works for us, the way that we find value in" is a much better approach.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss View Post
I do this too. And am still on the path of figuring out how to word things to my kids. I still end up saying, "Put your coat on," "Get dressed," "stop that," et cetera. I tell my husband what to do too and he tells me what to do as well. But our wording is certainly slightly different and intent changed.
We do things like that around here too. Heck, my Ds is almost 17 and just a few days ago I called "Bub, we gotta go... get your shoes on" upstairs to him. It wasn't really an order or anything, but it's just some information conveyed I think. I've told Dd "Put the cat in the garage so we can get the groceries in." Dh has told me "Get my hammer out of the box" and so on and so on.

The tone of voice has something to do with how we take it I guess, and there have been times that something will feel to short or too order like, and someone will say something about how they are hearing it. It's mostly okay though. We have a relationship that allows us to work this way. I try to word things politely. I try to remember how I'd want to hear it, but sometimes it just comes out how it comes out. Usually we trust that the other isn't trying to be a huge PITA or trying to boss us around.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:

I mean, I wouldn't have had kids had I thought otherwise, kwim?

dm
I know a LOT more people IRL that DON'T respect their kids but still have them and continue to have MORE. I generally assume that parents on MDC respect their children, though I don't read a lot of other areas of MDC so I don't really know.

RU to me, has a lot deeper level of respect and trust. You respect and trust so much that you can accept when they make a decision that you wouldn't make.

For example: I went on a no plastics, no made in china, no TV, no fast food kick for about 2 years. Guess what my kids learned? They learned that *I* hate plastic, *I* hate MIC things, *I* hate TV, and *I* hate fast food and that *I* don't believe they are smart enough to make good decisions for themselves. I finally realized that all I can do is talk to them about MY choices, and model the choices that I make and let them have the freedom to choose. Because when they are grown they are going to do whatever the hell they want anyway, and I'd rather have a relationship built on trust and respect with my grown kids than have sheltered them from harmful things that they are probably not going to shelter them selves from as adults anyway.

OK, I'm working on a whole RU definition in a word doc, it's not ready yet so I'll share when I'm done:

blogging.jpg 
Old 03-05-2008, 04:01 PM

eta: Xpost with you granolapunk... very excited to read your RU definition!
Quote:
I will say that ... there were some implications that were unsettling and that did not appropriately depict what I believe RU is. I don't think I was just being sensitive.
This is what I've been waiting to hear about. (hi anna!) I wish there were a way to discuss these things without getting all heated because I am genuinely unsure of the differences between unschooling and radical unschooling.

I would not have presumed to even call myself an unschooler until I (very recently) searched all over and read and realized that it is a very accurate description of our lifestyle. Furthermore it was very comforting to realize that I wasn't just being lazy, that loads of people feel that child directed living and learning is a very good thing. I really need the support of MDC mamas sometimes and I think a lot of people like me do also. Up until hearing about unschooling I honestly thought that there was something wrong with me for taking it easy about learning. I hid the fact that we didn't plan on using curriculums and that we spent more time doing "nothing" than doing "something," feeling all along that nothing really is something.

So far I have a very horrible list in my head of "the things that RUs do and think" and I bet none of them are accurate. I have tried doing some searching on the internet but keep coming back here hoping for a definition. It seems to be that no one really wants to (or can?) define it.

Perhaps that is what it is. An undefinable lifestyle which adjusts as needed to each family member. Or is there more to it than that?

Maybe, there are philosophies about it, and then there is the real living?

Any ideas? Anyone? TIA.

Jennie Young

Old 03-05-2008, 04:12 PM

Well, it is really hard to pin down because RU invades every aspect of your life. I recently likened it to anarchism. In anarchist thought, all forms of authority are to be questioned and very few invasions/preventions of autonomy are justified. An example that Noam Chomsky gives is that if his 3yo grandchild starts to cross a street without looking and a car is coming, he will pull her away from harm and feel that this is a justifiable prevention of her autonomy because it saves her from harm.

Children are busy learning all the time though and we all have to cooperate in order to feel comfortable, feed ourselves, and enjoy our lives, particularly as a family. In that sense, we have things that we need to do - clean the house, fold the laundry, eat good foods, make money, buy groceries, et cetera. The kids, I feel, need to learn all those skills from us adults, and people tend to learn pretty well through participation. So basically, we live our life - we eat, drink, sleep, watch movies, clean up, go places - and include the kids in all of that, then try not to fight it when they want to do their own thing. It's so hard to define RU because it mostly looks like just living, but there is some serious questions that get asked in the process - am I being coercive? Am I being coercive in a detrimental way? Am I honoring the autonomy of my children? These questions can be asked about just about anything too, which is hard and long and very very interesting.

I'm going to stop there and hope it made any sense. Hi Jenniey!

Old 03-05-2008, 04:20 PM

thank you, that actually helps a lot. i guess i had never considered the divide between life and learning and it sounds like you are saying that it isn't necessary to do so. this is very much like the non-coercive parenting group i belong to ... and nonviolent communication?

things i struggle deeply with due to my highly volatile personality and slightly manic tendencies.

Jennie Young

Old 03-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Children are busy learning all the time though and we all have to cooperate in order to feel comfortable, feed ourselves, and enjoy our lives, particularly as a family. In that sense, we have things that we need to do - clean the house, fold the laundry, eat good foods, make money, buy groceries, et cetera. The kids, I feel, need to learn all those skills from us adults, and people tend to learn pretty well through participation. So basically, we live our life - we eat, drink, sleep, watch movies, clean up, go places - and include the kids in all of that, then try not to fight it when they want to do their own thing. It's so hard to define RU because it mostly looks like just living, but there is some serious questions that get asked in the process -

Makes perfect sense. When people ask me to explain our approach I've often said that we just "wake up each day and live". It's accurate, but not quite as simple as it sounds.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I will say that on the other thread there were some implications that were unsettling and that did not appropriately depict what I believe RU is. I don't think I was just being sensitive.
Yes, I'm aware that we do some things in our household that probaby aren't in line with RU. But I'm less concerned about being RU than I am about our family working as a whole.

DH or I deciding to sometimes place limits on DS1's TV viewing out of not wanting the TV on in the family area probably doesn't fall under many people's definition of RU. But if I know that having the television on actively disrupts DH's peace and that he finds it invasive to his serenity, I don't think it would be fair to say that DS's desire to have the TV on always trumps DH's desire to have the TV off, any more than it would be fair to say that DH's preference for the TV being off to mean that DS1 could never, or almost never, watch TV. In our home, it ends up being a compromise between the two... sometimes I have to advocate for DS's desire to watch TV to DH, and negotiate (or sometimes insist) on DS's behalf. And sometimes I have to advocate for DH's desire to have a quiet, TV-free evening... but since DS1 is still too young to consider DH's needs and desires over his own, it may end up being more of a straight (but gently-worded) limit set. Otherwise, DH would never get his need for quiet evenings included... it's not fair to him to ask him to consistently live in a home environment in which he's not comfortable until DS is old enough to compromise and be more considerate of his fellow family members' needs on his own. It's developmentally normal and appropriate for a three year old to rank his immediate desires over the needs and desires of others, but I can't (or choose not to) ask DH to indefinitely suspend his need for serenity until we're all done having 3 year olds.

And I don't believe the issue could or would be solved by setting up a TV in another room either. For one, we don't really have another room in which to set up a TV -- our living room/dining room is the only real "communal area" in our house. And if we did move the television into another room (clearing a makeshift area in the storage basement or something), DS1 would be more upset at feeling exiled from the living room than he is at us asking him to turn off the TV. His desire to be close to us is usually much more important to him than his desire to watch television.

I know that RU families surely find a way to live together in harmony -- that is, after all, what radical unschooling is essentially all about. But I find it pretty hard with a three year old who can't yet compromise in the way that I hear so often cited in examples of RU parenting. So, while my goal for our family will always be for us to try to consider everyone's feelings and needs and to be as non-coercive as feasible, as of right now we're all just trying to live together as best we can... even if, sometimes, it's not very RU.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milakais View Post
Yes, I'm aware that we do some things in our household that probaby aren't in line with RU. But I'm less concerned about being RU than I am about our family working as a whole.

bingo!

DH or I deciding to sometimes place limits on DS1's TV viewing out of not wanting the TV on in the family area probably doesn't fall under many people's definition of RU. But if I know that having the television on actively disrupts DH's peace and that he finds it invasive to his serenity, I don't think it would be fair to say that DS's desire to have the TV on always trumps DH's desire to have the TV off, any more than it would be fair to say that DH's preference for the TV being off to mean that DS1 could never, or almost never, watch TV. In our home, it ends up being a compromise between the two... sometimes I have to advocate for DS's desire to watch TV to DH, and negotiate (or sometimes insist) on DS's behalf. And sometimes I have to advocate for DH's desire to have a quiet, TV-free evening... but since DS1 is still too young to consider DH's needs and desires over his own, it may end up being more of a straight (but gently-worded) limit set. Otherwise, DH would never get his need for quiet evenings included... it's not fair to him to ask him to consistently live in a home environment in which he's not comfortable until DS is old enough to compromise and be more considerate of his fellow family members' needs on his own. It's developmentally normal and appropriate for a three year old to rank his immediate desires over the needs and desires of others, but I can't (or choose not to) ask DH to indefinitely suspend his need for serenity until we're all done having 3 year olds.

And I don't believe the issue could or would be solved by setting up a TV in another room either. For one, we don't really have another room in which to set up a TV -- our living room/dining room is the only real "communal area" in our house. And if we did move the television into another room (clearing a makeshift area in the storage basement or something), DS1 would be more upset at feeling exiled from the living room than he is at us asking him to turn off the TV. His desire to be close to us is usually much more important to him than his desire to watch television.

I know that RU families surely find a way to live together in harmony -- that is, after all, what radical unschooling is essentially all about. But I find it pretty hard with a three year old who can't yet compromise in the way that I hear so often cited in examples of RU parenting. So, while my goal for our family will always be for us to try to consider everyone's feelings and needs and to be as non-coercive as feasible, as of right now we're all just trying to live together as best we can... even if, sometimes, it's not very RU.
I have no idea if the other RUers would consider this RU, but my house looks like this every day and we DO have 2 TV's. The basis of RU to me, is not having ARBITRARY rules and limits. You aren't telling your ds he can't watch TV because you just don't like it, or don't like the program he wants to watch, you are working together to compromise and make sure there's a balance and that everyone has there needs met within your real means and limits. People do need to learn balance, and you are teaching that without making arbitrary rules. RU isn't about raising our children to be completely egocentric and unable to handle disappointment. Nice job mama

blogging.jpg 
Old 03-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolapunk View Post
The basis of RU to me, is not having ARBITRARY rules and limits.
Hmmm. I think very few MDC parents in general create arbitrary limits. To me, RU is a lot more than that - it's about the parental will not trumping the child's will, and vice versa. We might consider something like headphones, either for dad or tv-watching child... but really, for us it's been a lot of adjusting my expectations. I've learned to be happy with the TV on in the background, for example - it used to really bother me, but now I can pretty much tune it out, unless I'm writing a paper.... and I do have an old laptop I can write on if Rain really wants to see a show.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 03-05-2008, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The more I read, the less difference I can see between Radical Unschoolers and "plain" unschoolers. Heck, I have a hard time seeing the difference between "unschoolers" and "eclectic homeschoolers" and I know families with kids enrolled in schools who fit well with RU philosophy (at least the parenting part of it.)

It sounds like the self- described "non radical unschoolers" don't have a firm grasp on what 'radical unschooling" is to begin with.

Down with labels!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 03-05-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. I think very few MDC parents in general create arbitrary limits. To me, RU is a lot more than that - it's about the parental will not trumping the child's will, and vice versa. We might consider something like headphones, either for dad or tv-watching child... but really, for us it's been a lot of adjusting my expectations. I've learned to be happy with the TV on in the background, for example - it used to really bother me, but now I can pretty much tune it out, unless I'm writing a paper.... and I do have an old laptop I can write on if Rain really wants to see a show.

Dar
well i guess we better define arbitrary then i didn't say or mean to imply that that is all of it, i just think it starts with that. i'll quote myself here:
I know a LOT more people IRL that DON'T respect their kids but still have them and continue to have MORE. I generally assume that parents on MDC respect their children, though I don't read a lot of other areas of MDC so I don't really know.

RU to me, has a lot deeper level of respect and trust. You respect and trust so much that you can accept when they make a decision that you wouldn't make.

For example: I went on a no plastics, no made in china, no TV, no fast food kick for about 2 years. Guess what my kids learned? They learned that *I* hate plastic, *I* hate MIC things, *I* hate TV, and *I* hate fast food and that *I* don't believe they are smart enough to make good decisions for themselves. I finally realized that all I can do is talk to them about MY choices, and model the choices that I make and let them have the freedom to choose. Because when they are grown they are going to do whatever the hell they want anyway, and I'd rather have a relationship built on trust and respect with my grown kids than have sheltered them from harmful things that they are probably not going to shelter them selves from as adults anyway.

OK, I'm working on a whole RU definition in a word doc, it's not ready yet so I'll share when I'm done...

blogging.jpg 
Old 03-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Heck, I have a hard time seeing the difference between "unschoolers" and "eclectic homeschoolers"
Really?

Old 03-05-2008, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Really?
When you start getting into kids requesting more academic structure the line gets pretty blurry. Is it unschooling if the child wants to follow a curriculum?

I mean, I see a clear distinction between "school at home"ers and "unschoolers" and I've certainly encountered homeschoolers who are rather disrepectful to their children's unique learning styles (it's heartbreaking to watch how some of the parents interact with their kids at one of the classes I've signed DD up for).

But I guess I see this as a continuum with "radical unschoolers" at one end and "controlling school-at-homers" at the other, and I'm not exactly sure where to draw each line. Are you still eclectic if you mostly follow a curriculum but skip certain parts? Are you still an unschooler if you follow a curriculum at the child's request and stop using it when the child gets bored of it? Are you a radical unschooler if you give a bedtime to a 6yo who's been cranky from too little sleep?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)

User Tag List