Black or Black & Multi-Racial Unschooling Families? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-20-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone out there?

I'm white; my husband and our children are Black. So, it's rough out there for my kids. We live in a highly segregated and highly-in-denial region. I learned the hard way the folly of putting my life-learners into classes and activities in which they are uninterested just so they can be around other Black children. At the same time, it's really hard on them to always be the only ones in the classes and activities they love.

We've experienced a lot of heart-wrenching incidents in our white liberal community from people who would seem to prefer throwing themselves into a volcano over dealing honestly and compassionately about issues of race. This just makes it even harder for our children when things happen.

Our family thinks we're nuts...and disrespectful to our children's heritage...but we're all (family included) dealing with that as lovingly as we possibly can.

We're part of the African American Unschooling group and have attended the annual camping trip for the past 2 years. This year, it conflicts with our niece's high school graduation and we are literally in tears over having to miss it! It's the one time per year that our kids are totally free, totally safe to be themselves in a big group outside of our family. DH and I are working so hard to find and create other times and spaces for this throughout the year...but, it has been challenging and thus far, unsuccessful.

We're going to a couple of unschooling conferences this spring...but it's hard not to be a little nervous about how welcome we will be...or how overly welcome we will be, if you kwim.

Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-20-2008, 01:35 PM

I don't know if this will help you, but I came across this web site a few days ago: http://www.afamunschool.com/fungasa.html

I joined signed up for their newsletter and am curious to see what comes through.

It looks like a pretty active group and if you hunt around a bit, perhaps you will find some other families that are relatively nearby.

eta: Oooops, I just reread and noticed you said "the" AA hs'ing group, not "an" AA hs'ing group. Which means it's probably the same one I just mentioned. Sorry!
#3 of 6 Old 03-20-2008, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it's the same one. Thank you, though!

Did you check out the camping trip info? If you can go, I highly rec it. We've had such a wonderful time each year.

I like your username, btw.
#4 of 6 Old 03-23-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwisdomskr View Post
We've experienced a lot of heart-wrenching incidents in our white liberal community from people who would seem to prefer throwing themselves into a volcano over dealing honestly and compassionately about issues of race. This just makes it even harder for our children when things happen.
OT but if you could describe to me what happens, it might help me make sure I do not do the same thing.
#5 of 6 Old 03-25-2008, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

I think it's great that you asked that, and I hope you'll understand when I say that--emotionally--I just can't right now. I'm so tired in this moment of explaining and then bearing the brunt of defensiveness and anger that people seem to feel in response to what I say. I'm in the thick of it right now on another board.

I don't want to just leave you hanging, or dump the issue into someone else's lap, though, so I would be happy come back in a few days to post some suggestions of things you could read.
#6 of 6 Old 04-14-2008, 01:24 PM

I am black and my husband is white. I grew up in a predominately white community and spend my whole life being the only black person in most things that I did.

I want to be sure that my children are around as many different people as possible. We are really considering moving out of our state, but I have to say that I am afraid of being alone wherever we go.

I am attending the NEU Conference in Peabody, MA this spring. I do hope that there will be a diverse group of people there.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page