The Idle Parent.... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2008, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by granolapunk View Post
ditto! i was always so worried about that but i would say my kids are even more creative now then they were when tv/video games were limited.
Yup, it gives 'em that much more of a medium to work with!

Of course, I think some folks define "creativity" as "kids finding their own things to do and not 'bugging' the adults." In my experience, I think kids go through times where they occupy themselves a lot, interspersed with times when they turn to parents for help in finding interesting pursuits. And, through it all, it's normal for our kids to want our attention and involvement.

And, actually, his comment about kids finding tons to do with a couple of sticks (I can't remember exactly how he put it) -- it's a little overused, I've heard stuff similar to that before.

Yeah, it really doesn't cost a heap of money to be happy. But I get the impression that his not wanting to buy his son a playstation, really has more to do with him imposing his ideals, than with the cost.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 07:47 PM

Yes, I remember that his column is intended to be read while eating Saturday morning breakfast (preferably hungover?).

Old 06-07-2008, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm on the fence about media. I like tv, and am not at all tempted to go tv-free. I think there are some great things on tv. However, I think kids can develop a tv habit that isn't necessarily healthy, and so I don't allow them to watch tv whenever and for as long as they like. We don't have any set limits, but I do step in and announce that it's time to turn off the tv and do something else when it seems like they need a little help fighting their own inertia. And I do find that my kids have an easier time finding other things to do when they haven't been spending a lot of time watching a screen.

But I do tend to think the stuff they end up doing when they aren't watching tv is cooler than just lying around watching someone else's ideas, so there's some of my bias coming out.

ZM
Old 06-08-2008, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldamomma View Post
I'm on the fence about media. I like tv, and am not at all tempted to go tv-free. I think there are some great things on tv. However, I think kids can develop a tv habit that isn't necessarily healthy, and so I don't allow them to watch tv whenever and for as long as they like. We don't have any set limits, but I do step in and announce that it's time to turn off the tv and do something else when it seems like they need a little help fighting their own inertia. And I do find that my kids have an easier time finding other things to do when they haven't been spending a lot of time watching a screen.

But I do tend to think the stuff they end up doing when they aren't watching tv is cooler than just lying around watching someone else's ideas, so there's some of my bias coming out.

ZM
This is very similar to how I feel. My oldest is only 4 years old...and not very adept at self-limiting! I step in and turn the tv off when I see that he doesn't have the intertia to do it himself anymore. That said, sometimes his play is inspired by something he saw on a show (magic school bus, noggin, etc) and it's really creative! I guess ultimately, at his age, I think he needs to spend more time outside smelling the dirt, than using technology.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:27 PM

I find that my girls spend plenty of time out smelling the dirt when I make it a point to be out there.

I used to think "not limiting" meant it'd be on all the time, and there was nothing I could "do" about it. But I'm finding that my children value interaction with me way more than they value technology.

If they're really into something, and I feel like we haven't been spending enough time together, I can stop what I'm doing and watch them play their games or watch their shows with them. One or both will usually climb into my lap and talk with me about any program they're watching.

And if I suggest a project or an outing, they'll either go along with that or suggest something different, 'til we come up with something fun that we all want to do.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

The latest...in case you missed it

While I might want to punch him if I actually met him in person....he really does make me smile, and laugh

I liked this line from the most recent installment:

"Instead of spending £10 on petrol, buy a really good bottle of wine and stay at home. Feast and drink, play music and play games, and lie on the floor and let your children tumble over you."

Enjoy (or not )

Robyn
Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 PM

Robyn, the link's not working.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 PM

the link isn't working. but someone less lazy than myself could always go to telegraph.co.uk and find the article. (and post the link here)

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Old 08-10-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
the link isn't working. but someone less lazy than myself could always go to telegraph.co.uk and find the article. (and post the link here)
http://tinyurl.com/6d2jyt
Old 08-10-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou rsps... just getting back from dinner at Grandma's and didn't see your messages until now.

R
Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 AM

thanks

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif

User Tag List