Unschooling Support - It's June! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 90 Old 06-19-2008, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are getting chickens!!! The kids are so excited. Madeline keeps researching breeds. Michael has big plans to help me with the coop. We found two large dog houses on craigslist. One free, one $10 that we are going to convert to the coop.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#62 of 90 Old 06-19-2008, 10:28 AM

We love our chickies. They amuse us daily.
#63 of 90 Old 06-19-2008, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BedHead View Post
FINALLY. Dd sent me a pic of her hair. This one is obviously touched up a bit, the hair color is fairly accurate, although it's a bit pinker than this shows.
She's such a cutie!! Love the hair and her expression.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#64 of 90 Old 06-19-2008, 11:25 PM

#65 of 90 Old 06-20-2008, 11:23 AM

Hello!
I'm joining! I have two boys, one will be 3 in September, one will be 6 months in two weeks.

I just got the birthin thing down, so I'm graduating to schooling.
My decision is set, so I figure I belong here already, as unschooling doesn't begin at a set age or time, and is just implemented into everyday life. (Well, I suppose it is that life that is the schooling part.)

I'll just be getting tips and reading of your adventures. I'm only half way through this June thread.

Anyways - .

-Kat
#66 of 90 Old 06-20-2008, 11:36 AM

DS has expressed boredom to us lately. We have one car, and lately DH has taken it to work. So, we can walk to the park, and downtown, but can't make it to the hills for a hike, or the local University for more extensive nature walks. It's pretty frustrating. DH and DS have talks about this on a daily basis (in the a.m., when I am barely awake and am not even pondering what the day may bring yet...).

So, any ideas for making things more interesting? We have a huge backyard, so I was considering what he could delve into back there...He's 5 now, so it's been hard for him to not be with kids his own age. We used to go to the neighboring town's parks every day. Thanks to gas prices and having one car, it just doesn't happen anymore.

Help!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#67 of 90 Old 06-21-2008, 02:22 AM

I'm thinking Treehouse.
maybe just because we watched Bridge to Terabithia though

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#68 of 90 Old 06-21-2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
I'm thinking Treehouse.
maybe just because we watched Bridge to Terabithia though
Was it as good as the book? I loved the book as a child and am reluctant to see the movie. I hate it when movies are just so off from the book.

#69 of 90 Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonandmarasmom View Post
DS has expressed boredom to us lately. We have one car, and lately DH has taken it to work.
I can SO relate. Also, all the places we can get to without the car seem to involve buying something. We can go to the bank, post office, drugstore, deli, library (not interesting to ds, except to rent dvds), really lame school playground with no kids, water ice stand. It's nice to be able to do errands w/o the car but they aren't things that satisfy ds.

And he doesn't like walking, only riding his bike, so we always have to drag the bikes out and lock them when we get to out destination, even if we are just going two blocks. He always strips down when we get home and wants help getting dressed so quick errands or trips outside are always a PIA. He is getting better about dressing himself, but doesn't do it independently, and I finally found shoes he can slip on which also stay on and are comfortable. We are in a mosquito-y area so outside play tends to be of limited interest. He'd do it more with a playmate, though. He likes to skulk around and play ninja or have water gun fights with someone (usually me by default).

He plays a lot of video games and watches tv. We try to take him interesting places on dh's days off but I'm also busy trying to get groceries and do out of neighborhood errands, let alone in-house tasks while dh is around to keep ds company in the more comfortable areas of the house.

When we are at home, ds gets frustrated with me doing things in other parts of the house so it's hard doing things that will be the foundation for something fun. Like, he likes the idea of having a clubhouse but doesn't want me to spend the time it would take and he doesn't want to help more than a few minutes.

Sigh. What we need are friends. We have a couple but they aren't very close and their availability is limited.

We did just rent Bridge to Terebithia, too. I remembered liking the book and I had reservations about showing it to ds because the girl dies and I didn't remember that part clearly so couldn't guess how the movie might handle it. I thought the movie portrayal was pretty good but movies never are what I imagine from reading books. I've decided to just accept movies and books are completely different things and take them at face value with little expectation of similarity. It's kind of like how I'm interested in how ds thinks and imagines things. I get to see how the movie makers interpret the movie and realize it through special effects/computer imaging/etc.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#70 of 90 Old 06-21-2008, 01:52 PM

actually, I've never read the book - I'd never even heard of it till the movie came out.
i'm keen to read it, but i think dd is still to young (as yet has no interest in being read from any book without pictures).
i can't wait to read to her all those awesome books - harry potter, winnie the pooh, the little prince... and so many classics...

anyway, my client is having pre-labour ctx and her water broke tonight, so it seems we'll be having a nice educational unschooling birth tonight or tomorrow i love having a job that dd can be a part of!

#71 of 90 Old 06-21-2008, 02:29 PM

Aaah, a treehouse. If only we had a mature enough tree. We did spend some time together constructing a little fence for him to have a fort in the back corner. It's great unitl DD wants in and DS goes into, "No girls allowed" mode.

I may sign him up for a sword fighting class with our local society for Creative Anachronism. We observed them at a local event recently and DS was pretty stoked about the idea.

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#72 of 90 Old 06-23-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonandmarasmom View Post
I may sign him up for a sword fighting class with our local society for Creative Anachronism. We observed them at a local event recently and DS was pretty stoked about the idea.
They do that for kids? Very cool!

Added a bunch of pics from our weekend camping trip to our blog (in siggy) I got sunburned (yeah, yeah I know) but it was GREAT weather. Dd brought a friend and they spent almost the whole weekend in the lake!
#73 of 90 Old 06-23-2008, 09:02 PM

I'm trying to get out of our rut and get ds out more. Yesterday, took him to scope out a new playground that we can get to on the trolley. We played with a girl there and eventually realized she was in the same pre-k class as ds during his brief school experience. That was funny. Today, we did some local errands by bike (library, post office, bank). Tomorrow, I'm driving dh to work and taking ds to an inflatable bouncing place. It might rain and I thought it would be a fun way to get some exercise. I posted on a couple area hs lists inviting everyone to join us but haven't got any response. Maybe someone will show up. After I see the weather forecast for next week, I'll try a blanket invite to the new playground. It's rare anyone shows up when I try this, though.

#74 of 90 Old 06-23-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
actually, I've never read the book - I'd never even heard of it till the movie came out.
i'm keen to read it, but i think dd is still to young (as yet has no interest in being read from any book without pictures).
i can't wait to read to her all those awesome books - harry potter, winnie the pooh, the little prince... and so many classics...

anyway, my client is having pre-labour ctx and her water broke tonight, so it seems we'll be having a nice educational unschooling birth tonight or tomorrow i love having a job that dd can be a part of!
I remember just balling and balling. But I love books, movies that make me cry!

Oooh exciting. Have a great birth. I hope to be a MW when I grow up, uh I mean when the kids grow up.

We are having boredom issues too. But not for lack of things to do. DD complains ALL the time and everything I suggest is shot down. I think part of it is her room is too messy to find anything. I need to help her clean it I suppose.

#75 of 90 Old 06-26-2008, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all! We are heading out for a camping trip tomorrow. So it's been just laundry, packing, cooking, and looking for the freaking citronella candles like a mad woman for me! It's been so busy around here for us.

I hope you all have a nice weekend.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#76 of 90 Old 06-26-2008, 02:49 PM

have fun unschoolnma!

#77 of 90 Old 06-26-2008, 05:20 PM

Have fun camping!

Today, we had a good time at a distant parkday. I've got a couple things lined up for next week so I'm happy, though still puzzled why trying to hook up with homeschoolers close to home never works out. I feel like my messages and attempts just enter some sort of Bermuda Triangle.

#78 of 90 Old 06-27-2008, 06:13 PM

Ooo, have fun camping - I love camping!

Bought dd her new sewing machine yesterday and she immediately made pillows for herself and for me, and would have made ten or twelve more but I made her shut down for the night at 11 pm so we could sleep. She's got all kinds of plans to make Christmas gifts for everyone - she's not sure what yet, but we looked through some pattern books and she found a bunch of different things she thought were cool, but she needs to improve her skill before she can make them.

I'm kind of excited too - I haven't had a sewing machine in the house for YEARS so now I can fix a whole whack of things that need hemming and mending
#79 of 90 Old 06-27-2008, 06:21 PM

I wanna go camping! It needs to stop flippin' raining first.: Have fun, unschoolnma.

Today my ds is officially done with compulsory education (it ends on the last Friday in June of the school year in which you turn 16). Unlike when school ends, there's no big transition. We're probably moving back to the U.S. in the next few months, so he's holding off on any decisions regarding college/work until we know what we're doing. He's still busy with his band, and they just recorded a new EP a few weeks ago.

Last month, dd decided to give up gymnastics after 5.5 years, so that was a big adjustment for her -- as well as me and dh, as we need to help her find new outlets for her boundless energy!

We went to a "mini beast" workshop a couple weeks ago and dd petted a hissing cockroach! I stood well away. One of the parents was offering Indian stick insects to the kids, and dd asked if she could have one. Without giving it any thought, I agreed. I mean, how much trouble can a bug be, right?

Well... Dd got to researching, and informed me that nearly all Indian stick insects are female, their eggs do not need to be fertilized in order to develop (a process called parthenogenesis, we learned) and, on average, they lay about 3 eggs a day. Add that to the fact that their lifespan is 6 mo. to a year and that's potentially a whole lotta bugs!

After a frantic 48 hours of leaf identifying/collecting and trying to figure out how we were going to cope, my friend (whose dd also had taken home one of the insects) found a man who had kept this species in the past and was happy to take over care of ours. Phew! I will pay more attention in the future. Panic aside, they really are fascinating creatures, and it reminded us to have more respect even for seemingly "simple" life forms.
#80 of 90 Old 06-27-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadmom View Post

After a frantic 48 hours of leaf identifying/collecting and trying to figure out how we were going to cope, my friend (whose dd also had taken home one of the insects) found a man who had kept this species in the past and was happy to take over care of ours. Phew! I will pay more attention in the future. Panic aside, they really are fascinating creatures, and it reminded us to have more respect even for seemingly "simple" life forms.
That's just weird - why would they have given away something like that without saying a word about caring for it?
#81 of 90 Old 06-27-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedHead View Post
That's just weird - why would they have given away something like that without saying a word about caring for it?
They did. As I said, I wasn't paying full attention and didn't appreciate how complex of a life an insect can have. I suppose the person giving them away could have made sure that parents were listening carefully before letting them go, but I accept that it was my mistake. I'm just glad that we found an stick insect enthusiast to help us out.
#82 of 90 Old 06-27-2008, 08:07 PM

My 9 year old, who read the book at age 7, and saw the movie recently says "Bridge To Terabithia is a great book. Very, very sad, but great. The movie is not great. But it is "The most -true -to -the- book' movie I've ever seen, and I respect that". She added it doesn't divert at all from the main sotry and almost everything important is included. However, she thinks the trailers with the monsters are bogus. 'That takes place n your mind, and it's not like that". So--- you decide. lol

If it helps peeps in any way, she feels the Winn Dixie movie, fi, is one of the worst adaptations of a book, ever. "They changed almost everything, and even changed some characters! That's just wrong!"

I can't comment...I've not see BTT or the whole of WD at all, although I have read the books and enjoyed them.
#83 of 90 Old 06-28-2008, 02:00 AM

wow those stick insects sound amazing! but a lot of work though. lucky you found someone to take them
I'm so jealous of the sewing machine. though I'm going to get one soon too! MIL is buying me one for my birthday!

my clients had their baby; a little boy. after more than 48 hours of labour, with mama stuck at 9cm for over 12 hours, with the baby's head tipped into a brow presentation, we decided to transfer for a section. but everything was fine, and the baby and mama are healthy and recovering well.
very interesting for DD to see that sometimes caeserean is needed, beacuse she is very anti-hospital birth. :

#84 of 90 Old 06-28-2008, 10:24 AM
pia

Camping sounds fun, Unschoolnma. Enjoy!!! :
#85 of 90 Old 06-28-2008, 10:55 AM

ooh! wow! a new smilie :

#86 of 90 Old 06-28-2008, 06:09 PM

majikfaerie - I just wanted to say how much I love your blog. read with much inspiration
I just got back from NYC helping my BFF homebirth her boy. AMAZING!!!

Kelly : mama to Austin and Isabella Wife to Rockin'Rollin'Rick :
#87 of 90 Old 06-29-2008, 12:03 AM

aw shucks singinmama : thanks

and congrats to your BFF!

#88 of 90 Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 PM

Pic added to my blog of dd's first ever pillow made on her new sewing machine

majik, you'll LOVE the sewing machine. So far all dd's made are pillows, but I expect her to branch out soon into other endeavours.
#89 of 90 Old 07-01-2008, 01:29 AM

oooh, bedhead! love the tokyo hotel pillow... but what is tokyo hotel? is it actually a hotel, or a band or computer game or clothing lable or what? I have no clue

#90 of 90 Old 07-01-2008, 01:32 AM

oh, and i took the liberty of starting a july thread...
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=11592938

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page