Unschooling Support - It's June! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 90 Old 06-01-2008, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can you believe it's already June?! Wow. Summertime unschooling can be so fun.

Here's a link to the May thread. http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=889680

Now, only to get some June weather in my area.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#2 of 90 Old 06-01-2008, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where is the time going!!! :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#3 of 90 Old 06-01-2008, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

It's flying by. Or perhaps it's following this guy too. LOL

We are thinking we'll be camping the end of this month. That will be fun. But oh Gods, the gas. Over $4 here now.:

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#4 of 90 Old 06-01-2008, 05:28 PM

Gas is crazy!

I was actually at the gas station for 35 mins yesterday putting in $30.00 of gas. They had ran out!!!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#5 of 90 Old 06-01-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
It's flying by. Or perhaps it's following this guy too. LOL

We are thinking we'll be camping the end of this month. That will be fun. But oh Gods, the gas. Over $4 here now.:
We're going camping at the end of June too. It will be nice to get out of the heat up on the mountain.

We've been pretty busy, doing lots with our playgroup (blogged). Nic is wanting to learn about a million things I can hardly keep up with. He asks a million questions a day and we only have time to dive into a 1/4 of them but I trust that if it's something he really wants to know, he'll keep asking. He's really into dinosaurs, space, superheroes, weapons, rocks and minerals, Pokemon, just discovered GI Joe, and a million other things. His 7th birthday is Wednesday and today we're going to celebrate with IL's where he's going to get a Nintendo DS so I plan on not seeing him for a while. Oh, he's also watching an absurd amount of Bill Nye the science guy, he really loves the theme song

Ella will be 3 next month and is also asking a million questions and showing an interest in letters and numbers. She paints or colors 50% of the day. The other 50% is spent playing with babies or pretending to be some type of baby animal.

We have a really busy summer planned. We have a lot of activities planned with playgroup because it's so hot here in summer we don't do the park every week, we do some other thing. And we're swimming a lot too.

blogging.jpg 
#6 of 90 Old 06-01-2008, 06:33 PM

Hi! I thought I'd join you guys here now too! My ds has just turned 5 and here in New Zealand that would mean being off to school. So we're now officially going against the grain to that of all his peers.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#7 of 90 Old 06-02-2008, 02:39 PM

We're in full-on summer mode here. We have only 4 or 5 months of warm weather, so when it's here it's impossible not to enjoy it as much as we can!

We have a weekend camping trip planned for June 20. Dd LOVES camping. She will often set the tent up in the back yard and sleep in it with her friends. We had our first fire of the year on Saturday night - she's also good at making fires.

Hi nathansmum!!
#8 of 90 Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM

Oh, and don't hate me 'kay? I get free gas. :
#9 of 90 Old 06-02-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmum View Post
Hi! I thought I'd join you guys here now too! My ds has just turned 5 and here in New Zealand that would mean being off to school. So we're now officially going against the grain to that of all his peers.
Congrats!

Glad you joined us

#10 of 90 Old 06-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedHead View Post
Oh, and don't hate me 'kay? I get free gas. :
How?

#11 of 90 Old 06-02-2008, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS is bummed because his computer stopped working .

He's glad I got my bike operational and we have been riding up to the water ice stand (instead of him riding and me jogging). It's less exercise for me but more fun, lol.

One of his tadpoles/toads didn't survive. I think it drowned, not being able to get out of the water even though I thought it had a decent slope to get out. It was a tiny thing. We released the second one as soon as it finished metamorphasizing (is that a word or just misspelled?) so we wouldn't have to catch tiny bugs for it.

The nesting dove out our kitchen window has two babies. We've been watching her feed them (regurgitating ).

Other excitement has been getting the furnace replaced. Ds enjoyed asking the guys questions and would ask if they needed a hand occasionally.

But all those things are small parts of our day and we have been bored and in a funk a lot with the constraints of our limited mobility (no car most days) and limited finances (I probably feel that more than ds, lol). He wants me to take him to spend his allowance on a water gun, tonight.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#12 of 90 Old 06-02-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
How?
The place I work gives me a gas card.
#13 of 90 Old 06-02-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
The place I work gives me a gas card.
Nice!

#14 of 90 Old 06-04-2008, 04:13 PM

Dd gets her new computer today. She is so excited!!!!

She also dyed her hair a really cool purplish/orange/pink color the other day. She used an organic hair dye we found at Planet Organic on the weekend.

She also cleaned her room top to bottom. Of course, that may be because I told her I wouldn't let them set up her computer till she did
#15 of 90 Old 06-04-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Dd gets her new computer today. She is so excited!!!!

She also dyed her hair a really cool purplish/orange/pink color the other day. She used an organic hair dye we found at Planet Organic on the weekend.

She also cleaned her room top to bottom. Of course, that may be because I told her I wouldn't let them set up her computer till she did
Pics of the hair are required! I used to dye my hair all sorts of funky colors, it was so fun.

It's Nic's birthday today. We are going Pokemon card shopping, swimming with friends, and then to Funtasticks. Then tomorrow his cousins are coming for a sleepover. Whew!

blogging.jpg 
#16 of 90 Old 06-04-2008, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Oohh yes we want to see the hair! There's going to be some hair dying around here soon too I hear. (My own included LOL)

Happy birthday to Nic! Sounds like a fun time is planned.

My kids stayed up late watching "Black Sheep" and playing GTA for awhile. We might be going out of town this weekend, but I still have no clue what's up.

#17 of 90 Old 06-04-2008, 04:28 PM

I will try to get a pic. She's camera shy sometimes. I've never posted one on here - we have to link to it somewhere else right?
#18 of 90 Old 06-04-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah you can use flickr.com or photobucket.com etc.

#19 of 90 Old 06-05-2008, 03:20 AM

I'm up way too late and need to get to bed, lol. We had a good day today...I am on a weeks vacation from work and don't actually go back till next Thurs as I am part time anyway. I baked bread, and dd and ds and I had blast playing alot of games from a Klutz travel game book I picked up from a second hand store. There were a lot of math type games in it like one where you hold out your hand from behind your back with "x" number of fingers up, and say odd or even (doesn't matter if you are right). When the two of you add your fingers together (eg 8 fingers total), THEN you find out who is right, actually and that person wins (ie: the person who said even). It was neat to see how they both caught on, esp dd, and I have been trying to focus on having fun playing games with her and am not stressing so much about how to unschool math. I sat and colored a bit with ds (he only just now starts to like it) and we made a calender he could cross off to the days of his birthday. Dd worked on a comic book she is doing. I did a bit of prepping my living room walls for the painting I am doing next week, and answered a million questions about things ranging from the solar system to bacteria and we watched the bird that made his nest back where we knocked it down last year, thinking it was abandoned. The joys of living a learning life!!!

We read a bit this afternoon, and after supper went out for ice cream. We walked through a very old graveyard behind the ice cream shoppe to get to the park, and had a good discussion with the kids about death, etc. Fri we are going to a children's festival in Winnipeg, and are looking forward to it. We go camping next week...ahhh, to homeschool and go camping in June while it is not busy, love it!

Dh has a pt time security job now, on weekends (night shifts) as a security guard at a pharmaceutical plant. It is better then his casual nursing home job where he only got 5 days of work last month. I am part time and have to work 2 weekends out of every 6. So, for one of them the kids will have to stay day and overnight at my MIL's house.

Unfortunately, dh is developing a weird rash on his legs (?poison oak) and is on steroids, but today we noticed one of his ankles is starting to swell and look a little pink on the inner aspect of it, we are *PRAYING* this is not another flareup of his sarcoidosis as he was so sick with it last year and got to the point he literally could not walk and could only stand for a minute or two, long enough to get the kids a quick meal, and was very short of breath, fatigued, etc. It would mean I would have to work more, and I find it hard to do that and feel like a good connected unschooling mom to my kids. I posted about my struggles with his illness last summer and hope we don't go through this again.

BTW, I noticed alot of you blog. I would like to start one but am a bit illiterate computer wise. Can anyone recommend a blog that is fairly easy to use/set up, but has interesting features like a blogroll, is easy to transfer pics/video links to, etc

Glad to be jumping back on this thread and reading what you are all up to!

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
#20 of 90 Old 06-05-2008, 12:06 PM

we've moved into unschooling, and I'm trying to be a bit more RU then we were....

here's the deal my son want's to watch junk t.v. all morning.

it makes me sad.

once he's done and we move on to run an errand or something, I usually don't want it to come back on at a later time...

he's been watching it for about an hour and a half right now, and the 3 yo is with him... we'll run an errand after this next show, and then I'll try to get him to do something else....

i just don't know ..................

he likes food tv, history channel and animal planet, I just don't like Nick, Disney and cartoon network...

any advice
#21 of 90 Old 06-05-2008, 02:46 PM

Hi you all

The weather here in Norway is fantastic!!! Warm and sunny everyday. This is not normal weather for may-june here so we are enjoying every moment. We are renting a summer house on an island a short ferry ride from the city and we are spending lots of time out there. We got a really good deal on it if we would do some work on it and it is perfect. We live in the city with no garden and the kids and I get nice break. We run around barefoot, paint fences, throw out old stuff, weed, plant tomatoes (trying to transplant tomatoes from Spain -we will see how it goes). Run through the sprinklers, swim in the ocean. Now we are back in our apartment dd and ds1 have spent 2 WHOLE DAYS on the computer - ds1 has to catch up on Runescape and wants to make it two levels higher before he returns to the land of no internet, tv or shower...lol
My daughter is loving clubpenguin, has spent all day there today.
Any other Runescape fans out there? I so wish for my kids to meet other RU kids so that they could see all the cool kids and there parents that are out there. Unfortunatly my son has gotten this idea that HS kids are super restricted and only play with wooden toys, stay away from tv etc. There really are no other RU in Norway. Not very many homeschoolers either, but the ones they have met are hs for reasons other than us (violin prodegies and such).

Anyway...I am enjoying the warm weather and noticing that a country without airconditioning gets really hot inside...
#22 of 90 Old 06-05-2008, 04:10 PM
pia

Hola Bente!!!

Just checking in here too! Long time since last time -- and mdc is reminding me to "take a few moments...just engage in a conversation..."
So that´s what I´ll have to do.

So much has been happening!!

Ds and I had 2 whole weeks on Isla Mujeres in Mexico at the end of April. We spent the whole time swimming, snorkeling and just enjoying Island atmosphere. We basically got up at 6-7 am, stayed out most of the day and slept around 9-10pm. Oh - ds watched Cartoon Network every moment we had in our hotel room. He admitted some of the cartoons were awful, but like a magnet he was just drawn to watch them!

We had initially planned to see some pyramids - Tulum and/or Chichen Itza, but in the end we didn´t feel like taking the long bus ride.
We did swim with dolphins, go to an amazing island called Isla Contoy, ride a golf cart around town, collect shells, see loads of amazing fish and eat lots of Mexican beans and guacamole! :

It was 20 years since I was there last, and I so badly wanted to go back. It had changed a fair bit, but it was still really really nice. Not nearly as crowded as I had expected.

I haven´t put up that many photos from the trip yet, but here are some:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6581248...7604937787915/

Unlike Oslo, we have rain here in Barcelona. Fairly unusual for this time of year. But the city need it. Desperately. It´s been one of the driest years in I don´t know how long!

So, today, I have been trying to get very organized...just organize, declutter, throw...ds had been watching MacGyver.
Oh - and I chatted to Bente on the phone!

Our day today; very simple. Now we´re waiting for dh to finish an Indian dish, Aloo Gobi. He got some fresh handground spices from the mother of one of his tennis players + the recipe. Yum. :
#23 of 90 Old 06-05-2008, 05:00 PM

Hey ds (7) and dh are going camping this weekend too! Dd (11) and ds are almost done with their circus class, ds started cub scouts and football within the last few weeks, dd dance season is on the final week and her recital is Sunday. Oldest dd (14) is in the final week of public high school for the year. She's got 3 regents exams to take soon, too . I can't wait til she's home for the whole summer.

Today dd called up for Chinese take-out and treated herself and her brother to some fried rice and scallops, lol. Then they played Rubiks Revolution - and got me into the game somehow. I called out sick to work tonight so I can clean and organize for everything this weekend. Of course I may just end up on the couch watching a movie with the kids!

After this long busy weekend is over I need to focus on redoing the apartment - turning the living room into 2 more bedrooms. Yeah, I feel the girls need their own spaces (small spaces, but still their own). I plan on getting this whole place done by September. That's the goal - we'll see.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan

DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school

DS(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

#24 of 90 Old 06-05-2008, 07:36 PM

But not new to homeschooling/unschooling. I have three boys 9,7,4. Have not felt the need to have much support but today has been tough. My dad cut off supporting us, he thinks financial, but it is actually emotional also. He has not really been a financial support anyways. Anyway no more Dad. He thinks we are abusing the children.

So, here I am hoping to get my positive game back

Media is the name of the game in our house. They love to play games on line. This week it is games found on myspace. The babysitters showed them these last weekend. Watching PBS on the TV during the week and 4Kids TV on the weekend. We also have a Wii that we got a few months back. They play Mario and Sonic go to the olympics. Their favorite TV shows are Zaboobafoo and Fetch with Ruff Ruff during the week. On the weekend it is Yu Gi Oh and Dinosaure King. Theodore is very in to Yu Gi Oh cards also. Harrison likes to play with Theodore's clay creations, drives him nuts.

Thanks,

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#25 of 90 Old 06-09-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanetedissac View Post
But not new to homeschooling/unschooling. I have three boys 9,7,4. Have not felt the need to have much support but today has been tough. My dad cut off supporting us, he thinks financial, but it is actually emotional also. He has not really been a financial support anyways. Anyway no more Dad. He thinks we are abusing the children.

So, here I am hoping to get my positive game back

Media is the name of the game in our house. They love to play games on line. This week it is games found on myspace. The babysitters showed them these last weekend. Watching PBS on the TV during the week and 4Kids TV on the weekend. We also have a Wii that we got a few months back. They play Mario and Sonic go to the olympics. Their favorite TV shows are Zaboobafoo and Fetch with Ruff Ruff during the week. On the weekend it is Yu Gi Oh and Dinosaure King. Theodore is very in to Yu Gi Oh cards also. Harrison likes to play with Theodore's clay creations, drives him nuts.

Thanks,
Sorry your dad is being like that.

My ds loves Zaboomafoo and Fetch, too. Also Eon Kid on the former WB (CB?), Pokemon, and, oh what's that kid's science show on Sunday? Kinda like Bill Nye the Science Guy but newer. He plays a ton of online games, too. I do wish we could get out and play with other kids more because some of the tv/computer is boredom related.

We're holing up, hiding from the heat. We've been watching the baby birds out our kitchen window grow up. It was exciting to see them making forays farther from their nest, walking on the branches, then flying from one to another, then going on the ground and back up. The mama has been visiting for shorter times. I've taken so many pictures, lol.

#26 of 90 Old 06-09-2008, 10:20 PM

Dd stayed up ALL night last night sewing things in her room. By hand. It's apparently quite the project. I have GOT to get out and buy her a sewing machine!

I'm still bugging her for a pic of her hair!
#27 of 90 Old 06-10-2008, 04:06 AM

The summer house we are renting is taking shape. We had a container out there this weekend and filled it up with old junk from the house and the other buildings on the plot. My father in law came out to visit and gave me a tour of the garden...he he, I know nothing about planting, but I really want to get a little garden going out there. Turns out we have 4-5 cherry trees, one apple, lots of wild strawberries and blueberries. Oh and rasberries, rhubarb. It really is a lovely little plot.

DH is working a lot so we dont see much of him - I am really looking forward to slower times soon and then he can hang around the house with us

Other than that, two words - Runescape. Clubpenguin. It is madness
#28 of 90 Old 06-10-2008, 12:05 PM

we're back!
China was great, we had a blast. Soooo many things happened, and of course the rainbow gathering.
now we're back in thailand, and preparing for another homebirth with a really lovely couple who are hosting us in their home.

we had a funny pizza dinner tonight that turned into a lesson in political structures - somehow it became a race to see who could eat the most pizza, and then our friend had the idea to invite DD into a 'coalition' with him, so they could win. but of course, then the rest of us joined into another coalition which resulted in way more 'votes' (pizza). it was pretty funny.

anyways, i'm not going to spend ages writing out our whole month of adventures in china and thailand, but there is some stuff on my blog if anyones interested.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#29 of 90 Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 PM

majik, I just had a look around your blog - what an awesome experience!
#30 of 90 Old 06-10-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
majik, I just had a look around your blog - what an awesome experience!
I would find that kind of travel with ds highly stressful

Maybe if ds would eat more varied foods....like worms wrapped in seaweed...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page