Radical unschooling and organized sports - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 161 Old 07-10-2008, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieB View Post
changed my perspective was thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail when I was 22. My whole life changed from that experience. I was a very different person after that. I also met my husband on the trail, and he has also had a big influence on me, as well.

Oh! That trail is amazing! I've done it three times (well, not through the second time!-- but it was still amazing!), and each time I felt blessed beyond words! (Of course at times I saw it as a near death experience.)

ETA- Do you mean you are you a 2000 miler?! I just want to say right off, that we didn't do that! We dreamed of it, lol. But no. We've done different states, but not the whole thing through from beginning to end. If you meant, that, I'm out of that league! lol That is so fatastic and I am so jealous!

I can't imagine how life-changing that would be.
#152 of 161 Old 07-11-2008, 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=AngelBee;11665789

So....I am making as many changes as I can to make the team healthy and fun.

Sorry....may be off topic.....just can to mind as I was reading.

I guess my point is that I am not anti team really. I do not have a problem with "organized sports" on the whole. I coach sports and run a competition dance program. However, I am against disrespectful and unhealthy coaching. True team work means a collective effort which includes all members of the team. A good coach never forgets that. They are only one piece of the puzzle.

It is sad to me now days how many horrible coaches there are though

[/QUOTE]

I think it's great you're doing that.

I am not anti-team, really. Sometimes it's fun to be a part of something that is about more than just your self. We've had some good experiences (the boys have played town baseball on and off, and my youngest has played instructional soccer). One of my sons did leave a team at around 8 or 9, with a coach who wasn't a good fit for him, but he is in his second and last year of Pony League (same team) currently and this coach is a thoughtful coach. My son has no complaints and I've beenvery comfortable with what I've observed.

The instructional soccer borders on sticky-sweet. "We don't keep score! We play as a team! We don't ball hog!" lol Whatever. But you have to love a Husband/wife coaching team who brings cut up oranges to practice to share & that's that.

We pick and choose and so far, it's been absolutely not bad. lol
#153 of 161 Old 07-11-2008, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
OP-- has your dc shared with you why he/she puts up with the coach's pettyness?
Wow, UUMom! You never cease to amaze me! I never had an inkling, from reading any of your previous posts, that you thought the coach was being petty.

Quote:
I know none of my kids would have accepted the disrespect.
The OP's son didn't accept the disrespect, and he didn't put up with the coach's pettiness, either. So it doesn't sound like he's any less assertive, or whatever, than your kids.

I know your question was to the OP, not to me. Your turnabout is just throwing me for a loop, that's all.

I must say, you're still coming across (to me) as somewhat critical of the OP and/or her son. But I hope I'm misunderstanding you. As I've greatly enjoyed your input on many other threads.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#154 of 161 Old 07-11-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post
Wow, UUMom! You never cease to amaze me! I never had an inkling, from reading any of your previous posts, that you thought the coach was being petty.

The OP's son didn't accept the disrespect, and he didn't put up with the coach's pettiness, either. So it doesn't sound like he's any less assertive, or whatever, than your kids.

I know your question was to the OP, not to me. Your turnabout is just throwing me for a loop, that's all.

I must say, you're still coming across (to me) as somewhat critical of the OP and/or her son. But I hope I'm misunderstanding you. As I've greatly enjoyed your input on many other threads.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#155 of 161 Old 07-11-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:

I really, honestly don't understand what happened with the OP and her son. The coach is nice but it didn't work out, then it did? I still don't have a handle on *how* it worked out so well or why the kid is still on the team. I still don't even understand what the coach said or did or why or why he stopped, only that he stopped.

My kid quit a team when he felt the coach was petty and disrespectful to the players. The coach for the OP must have worked something out tiwth the kid. He's still playing, right?

I am not not respecting the OP or her son. I haven't said one unpleasant thing this whole thread.

I don't understand what happened at first or why. And yes, I've read every single post (goddess help me). The coach was nice and the kid is still on the team. Please don't requote stuff again, I've read it all, but I am still not clear on how it all unfolded.

That's not me being critical, that's me not understanding what happend, why or how it was resolved. Except the coach just started saying nothing to the child (although I don't know what the coach said to the child in the first place...I want my players to run?), and so now they live in peaceful practice coexistance. Yes? No?
#156 of 161 Old 07-11-2008, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think she said the coach eased up on pushing her ds so it sounded like the ds stood up for himself with mom facilitating communication and after another practice or two the coach either took him seriously or decided it didn't matter.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#157 of 161 Old 07-11-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I really, honestly don't understand what happened with the OP and her son. The coach is nice but it didn't work out, then it did? I still don't have a handle on *how* it worked out so well or why the kid is still on the team. I still don't even understand what the coach said or did or why or why he stopped, only that he stopped.
And I really, honestly, don't understand why all of the OP's explanations, plus her re-cap, have not satisfied you in the same way that they've satisfied me and (seemingly) most others here.

Quote:
My kid quit a team when he felt the coach was petty and disrespectful to the players.
And sometimes that's the best recourse. In the case of the OP's son, however, apparently he enjoyed playing with the team enough previously, that he thought it was worth sticking around and trying to work things out. And, in his case, sticking around and being assertive paid off.

Quote:
The coach for the OP must have worked something out tiwth the kid. He's still playing, right?
Uhm, yeah, unless something has changed since the OP's last post.

Quote:
I am not not respecting the OP or her son. I haven't said one unpleasant thing this whole thread.
It feels unpleasant to me when someone says things like, "How come your kid put up with such disrespect? My kids would never put up with that!"

Quote:
I don't understand what happened at first or why. And yes, I've read every single post (goddess help me). The coach was nice and the kid is still on the team. Please don't requote stuff again, I've read it all, but I am still not clear on how it all unfolded.
Yah, don't worry, I wasn't going to bother re-quoting that again. It's been well-covered. And 4evermom just gave another really nice re-cap.

And the OP has said more than once (I won't bother re-quoting her, as you've read the whole thread, goddess help you) that she's interested in having a general discussion about the issues (I can't remember her exact words), she feels happy about how her son's problem was resolved, and she seems to have moved on from that.

#158 of 161 Old 07-11-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
And I really, honestly, don't understand why all of the OP's explanations, plus her re-cap, have not satisfied you in the same way that they've satisfied me and (seemingly) most others here.

And sometimes that's the best recourse. In the case of the OP's son, however, apparently he enjoyed playing with the team enough previously, that he thought it was worth sticking around and trying to work things out. And, in his case, sticking around and being assertive paid off.

Uhm, yeah, unless something has changed since the OP's last post.

It feels unpleasant to me when someone says things like, "How come your kid put up with such disrespect? My kids would never put up with that!"

Yah, don't worry, I wasn't going to bother re-quoting that again. It's been well-covered. And 4evermom just gave another really nice re-cap.

And the OP has said more than once (I won't bother re-quoting her, as you've read the whole thread, goddess help you) that she's interested in having a general discussion about the issues (I can't remember her exact words), she feels happy about how her son's problem was resolved, and she seems to have moved on from that.
This really is all beyond my own experience, and I cry Uncle! I am admitting I am nowhere near this level of knowing.

I am admitting right here and now that my mothering skills are lacking, as I still dont get it.
#159 of 161 Old 07-11-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I am admitting right here and now that my mothering skills are lacking, as I still dont get it.
Huh? What does any of this have to do with your mothering skills?

#160 of 161 Old 07-11-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Huh? What does any of this have to do with your mothering skills?
My kids would be shamed by my ignorance.

Seriously, I haver never really understood this thread. :discuss:

I'm sorry.
#161 of 161 Old 07-11-2008, 11:06 PM

I guess I'll cry uncle out of guilt now! I feel bad about being so hard on you -- I never dreamed it would make you feel inadequate as a parent! I'm sure we all have our moments of wondering why we don't "get" something when everyone else has moved on. I can't imagine your kids thinking any less of you for it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page