Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ct
#32 of 38 Old 07-21-2008, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grylliade View Post
How's the climate for unschooling in Missouri?
We've found it pretty easy so far -- but I must admit I rather envy states like Texas that don't require any record-keeping. We're not required to notify anyone or do any testing, nor are we likely to ever have to show our records to anyone.

We just have to have records, in case we ever get inspected by Child Protective Services and they ask to see them. It's not likely we'd ever get inspected, and educational concerns are not considered reportable in Missouri -- so there'd have to be some other concern, but then our homeschooling could end up under scrutiny as well as every other aspect of our lives.

So I keep a log where I write down the various activities my 8yo's been doing (you don't have to start record-keeping here 'til they're 7, so I have 4 years before I start logging for my 3yo). Then I write what subject I feel each activity most closely goes along with, and the time spent. I also write periodic progress reports, and save a few pieces of work; all this has to be saved each year "just in case."

I've known some former homeschooling parents here who didn't bother with keeping records, and it never caused them any problems. But if they'd ever been investigated, they'd have had to try to manufacture some records really fast, and I wouldn't want that kind of stress.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#33 of 38 Old 07-21-2008, 02:54 PM

Thank you, mammalmama, for your thorough answer.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#34 of 38 Old 07-21-2008, 05:01 PM

: Thanks for sharing.

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

#35 of 38 Old 07-21-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grylliade View Post
Thank you, mammalmama, for your thorough answer.
You're welcome!

#36 of 38 Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 AM

I know I am a little off topic. Would anyone be able to dialogue with me offline on unschooling in Missouri? And how they keep the requested records and still unschool freely.  And I love hearing where to unschool next!

#37 of 38 Old 10-23-2013, 02:04 PM

My, how the time flies! The 8 year old I wrote about above is now 13, and my younger dd is now 8, so I've been keeping records on her for a year now. We're still in Missouri, and the requirements are still the same as they were 5 years ago.

My 13-year-old dd has actually just started the 8th grade in public school, it was an experience she really wanted, so I am back to just keeping homeschooling records on one. What I wrote above, which I'm quoting again below, is what I'm still doing.

"So I keep a log where I write down the various activities my 8yo's been doing (you don't have to start record-keeping here 'til they're 7). Then I write what subject I feel each activity most closely goes along with, and the time spent. I also write periodic progress reports, and save a few pieces of work; all this has to be saved each year 'just in case.'"

When enrolling my older dd in school, I basically just made her a transcript, because the school district requires an academic record, an attendance record, and a disciplinary record. I started the transcript with a short note explaining that dd had been homeschooled up to this point and had had perfect attendance and no chronic discipline problems. The magnet school she's attending requires students to have at least a 2.0 grade point average, and since I'd never assigned dd any grades, but just logged her activities, I explained in the opening note that I had logged the hours dd had successfully completed, and that I considered "successfully completed" work to be work of a C level or higher, so dd's grade point average was well above a 2.0.

Then I started with dd's most recent year (7th grade), and worked my way back to her second grade year, and wrote down the number of hours successfully completed in each of the core subjects of reading, language arts, social studies, science, and math, and the number of hours successfully completed in any electives such as physical education, art, music, and so on. I tallied the hours up to demonstrate that she always completed a total of 1000 hours every year, with at least 600 hours being in the core subjects.

Following her 2nd grade transcript, I wrote a note explaining that I hadn't kept records of her homeschooling prior to the year when she turned 7, because that is not required in Missouri. I didn't provide them with any information about the work dd actually did in any subjects -- and we never actually used a curriculum anyway, other than the fact that she did do some math work and watch some science videos at Khan Academy during her 7th grade year. I figured I'd wait and see if they asked me for more information, and they never did.

She has just received her midterm grade card, and we are really proud of her. She got A's in theatre arts, language arts, science, and physical education, B's in history and one hour of math, and a C in her other hour of math. This is an unschooled child, a child who was free to pursue her own interests and learn about what she wanted to learn about, to the extent that she wanted to learn about it. And she has been able to start school at age 13 with others in her age group, and hold her own, excelling in some areas, and struggling a bit in others, just like any other normal kid her age.

It feels really good to know that what we've been doing, and are still doing with our younger dd, really works and really is good preparation for them, for whatever they decide to do in the future. And it also feels really good to have this confirmation that my record keeping really is sufficient as well.

#38 of 38 Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 PM

In Indiana, the only homeschooling requirement is that you take attendance.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page