Unschool Support Sept 08 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 202 Old 09-09-2008, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosesArePurple View Post
Well, we had an exciting week! We spent the first part vacationing in Asheville. I love Asheville. I haven't been in 6 years. I know I belong there. We have a Subaru Forester and they were EVERYWHERE! We ate, walked, went to a park, a nature center, watched TV in the hotel room.

Then, then, we went to Live and Learn!!!!! : We got back last night. It was my first unschooling conference. It was awesome!
Oh, I sow wished we could have gone there, but it's sooo expensive to fly from SF, I checked on flights, but I can barely pay for anything right now. Things will hopefully get better.
Tell us more about the conference!!!

unschooling mama with Toots'n Fruits (6) and BeenzieBoo (3)
#62 of 202 Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Homeschool Phys Ed: Running up and down the street through the puddles :

Ds also decided he wanted to work with clay. I even had some that wasn't dried out. He made a cemetery and it evolved into a game where he hid bones when I wasn't looking and I'd have to find them.

He also did a little roller skating and was pleased with his progress.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#63 of 202 Old 09-10-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani View Post
Tell us more about the conference!!!
Oh, it was so cool. I didn't get to to all I wanted because my almost 2 yo needed me for naps and such, but that's ok.

I went to a few presentations thanks to my dh. He got to go to a couple himself plus there were two long get-togethers of the "Secret Society of Unschooling Dads (SSUDS) that I made sure he was able to attend.

There was a creek for the kids to play in, a playground, a room set up with a ton of dress-up clothes and a room set up with all sorts of contruction type games (lego, pattern blocks, trains, trains, action figures, etc) all that and the funshops kept the kids busy and happy.

I mainly tried going to the "parenting" (whole life unschooling) presentations. Ren Allen was awesome. Her presentation had me teary eyed several times. Her concepts of how to be a better parent were so approachable and really let me feel a bit better about my crappy parenting skills and desire to change them. See, some RUers on other lists can seem all or nothing and if you don't change right now, you're screwing your kids up attitude intimidates me. She didn't. Actually, no one at the conference did. Except for the obvious "Wow, this person really has it together!" type awe. Anyway, one of the things she mentioned aside from taking deep breathes to "return to center", was in a situation you know you need to use better skills, let yourself have two choices then make the better one. Keep doing that, and you will get better. She tried to make it clear that becoming a better parent takes both work and time.

There were a few roundtable discussions that I sat in that were interesting. It was really neat to hear other people talk about their journeys and give advice to folks in a really nice atmosphere. I like to think if MDC'ers got together IRL, it would be like that. Open opinions without flamage with a good healthy dose of caring.

I'm not really sure what else to say, I'm still decompressing from it, and I have all these thoughts swirling in my head. The conference did help cement our choice to continue to unschool. I still have some issues with RU, but I think it's probably because I still separate unschooling-the education choice from parenting in my head.

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
#64 of 202 Old 09-10-2008, 12:14 PM

Hi everyone!

We are an infinite learning family and my two boys are just about to turn 4 and 1!!!!!:

We just moved in the last year to a fabulous community and actually have an unschoolers group here. Very cool! There are so many types of homeschoolers that it feels natural to jsut find your own little comfy spot and settle in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
we had a little talk about our home-ed life - lately dp has been saying we should put dd in school every time we go through a rough patch. though he's 100% pro-unschooling, and has read illich and gatto and believes schools are terrible places, he thinks we aren't providin enough stimulation for dd all the time, so we should either have another child or put her in school.
so i looked into it. if we *would* put dd in school, it wouldn't be the local PS, it would be the local steiner... which costs close to $5000/ year. now, we're not millionaires, but dp earns well, and we could afford that school without making too many sacrifices. soooo, I talked to dp about it, and suggested we put some money aside (maybe something like $3000 for a year, considering what we're saving on not going to school) and spend it on things dd would be interested in. things like having a babysitter take her out occasionally, board games, science sets, more books, etc.

so i started it all off with taking dd out to buy some fun stuff - we got legos (she never had any before), a monopoly board, some fairy memory cards, paints, stickers, etc. feels good
so far, we haven't spent much money at all on anything; i always had the theory that children don't need toys, they can just play with whatever, and since we were travelling so much, she didn't have a chance to own many toys. really, she has now accumulated one very small box of toys, and that's it.
honestly, my dd is 5 and she never had any legos yet! shame on me.
hi majikfaeirie! good to see you again! :

We go through the same thing sometimes. I've considered signing him (4 y/o) up for something just for fun. We did hire a homeschooled mother's helper who comes one day a week for a couple of hours to play and I can just clean/write/laundry while listening to the squeals of fun coming from the living room!

I have been talking to dh about the idea of allotting some funds so that we have some really great quality toys/activities for them. Their birthdays are coming up so I have been brainstorming like crazy knowing this is a great opportunity to get some new stuff.

So far I have been thinking about

*lincoln logs
*refilling our craft box with new fun stuff
*those k'nex builder sets (though the all wooden ones)
*either a small wooden doll house or one of those tree houses with some little play dolls and furniture
*legos are a great idea!
*want to start a dress up chest. We have this great bench/chest that I want to have *full* for the boys and their friends

Any other ideas for a 4 year old? (and two boys long term?)

I have to admit this has been the most divisive year amongst his friends. Either kids are going to school or starting "homeschooling" and I have to admit it always shocks me for a minute when I hear a parent say, "Well we do homeschooling in the morning...music/math/some writing" and I think...wow ppl really do that?
#65 of 202 Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 PM

This is going to be a huge ventish post. Most likely jumbled as I am just going to type my thoughts and hope they make sense in the end. And I may not be back to respond as our computer is broken and DH brought his work one home for me but needs to take it back tomorrow am. But I would love any thoughts, etc to read when I get our computer back.

Ok here goes...

I am struggling and wondering if we are doing the right thing. Not about unschooling but about how we are doing it. I feel like oldest DD needs more. And am wondering if her behavior lately has something to do with her needs not being met. She wants to take all these classes and activities but we just do not have the money. She wants gymnastics which we can afford and also wants horseback riding (which we cannot). She takes classes with other homeschoolers once a week. She chose them a messy science class and a world crafts class. She is also going to be participating in a HS pe class, an hour of swimming and then an hour of sports every monday. This also cost money but its only $15/6 weeks so we can swing that easy. We try and get out for playdates/get togethers but for some reason I am having the hardest time finding other HSers/USers to play with and I KNOW they are in an abundance here. We live in Vancouver, WA and just 5-10 minutes from Portland, OR. There is one US group I have found but the timing is not right as it would be right in the meltdown part of day and DD2 gets aggressive with other children when she is in meltdown mode so I tend to spend that part of the day at home where I can play with her, etc. DD1 needs social interaction ALL the time, she loves it and thrives on it and honestly would do so well in school but I do not want her to be there. She would lose so much of who she is if we sent her to school and we are just finally getting rid of her perfectionist streaks that preschool caused and regaining some of the creativity and imagination that she lost. I have tried to attend HS park days but oddly whenever I do there is no one there at all. Not to mention I am so NOT a social person so am finding it REALLY HARD to go out and find these people for DD. She wants friends not just some people she sees in classes once a week and I am at a loss as to how to get her that. We have four kids so oftentimes finding families that mesh well with us is very hard as there are so many of us. The times I have reached out to the families of kids DD has met at parks or classes has not gone anywhere at all which is very frustrating. And twice now we did start something that was working and then the families quit HSing and we never hear from them again. Part of this is coming from something I have been reading which is honestly so stupid. Why am I letting a book make me feel like we need to change something but I think that I have been feeling DD needs something more and this book just put the feelings over the top. (Its Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves if you are wondering. Good book, not saying anything wrong about it, its all my me being mental. ) Meeting everyones needs and helping them do what they are interesting is really burning me out I think. Its one prob after another lately. If one person is doing well someone else is doing miserably, I need to find this middle that will work for everyone and I don't know where it is. I am struggling with all these demands and getting burned out I think. Two kids want to just be and are perfectly content building their own day and one wants constant social interaction and when I try to meet that the other two don't get to just be ahhhhhhhhhhh I am going to scream. The baby is taking so much time lately, she just started crawling (6 months!! could she not have waited until uh maybe 2? my house is one big mess of chokable items) My house is a disaster. Another part of the isolation I am feeling is that we are Christian USers, I can find Christian school at homers and non Christian USers. Is it really that out there to be a Christian US? I am sure this is a rambled mess of nonsense and I am not going to re read and edit anything as DD just woke up and needs breakfast. Am I going crazy?

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#66 of 202 Old 09-10-2008, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post
Am I going crazy?
Maybe you ARE going crazy, but that isn't always a bad thing.

It's really hard balancing the needs of everybody in a family. I'm homeschooling "more than one" this year for the first time and it's definitely an adjustment! I didn't catch how old your oldest is- is she big enough to attend social events without you?

There must be ways to work around this. Could you ask the people in the unschooling group to schedule an occasional meeting earlier in the day? Could you go once in a while even though it's a horrid time of day for DD2? Could you find a homeschooled teenager to babysit while you take DD1 by herself?

My biggest challenge right now is adapting to meeting 2 kids' needs during the day, rather than just one. For the past year and a half, I've been able to give DD2 one-on-one attention while her siblings attended school. Now only DS is in school, and DD1 and DD2 have such different needs! DD1 likes to be structured and organized, whild DD2 likes to "just be", though she does have trouble with boredom sometimes and has trouble motivating herself to find new things to do.

DD1 is very self-motivated and wants to do something closely resembling the curriculum she would have had at school, though she's relishing in the lack of demands on her time. I'm insisting on not making "daily learning goals" but only "weekly or monthly learning goals" so she can get engrossed in one subject one day and explore it more fully and then do another subject another day, rather than having to shift gears every 45 minutes like in Middle School.

DD2 is benefiting somewhat from this structure, but we need to be careful to balance things so she's not overwhelmed. Yesterday, for example, DD1 decided to start a "timeline" project, and after we had some discussions about how to go about it, she decided to make a separate piece of paper for various dates on the timeline, decorate each paper, and then we'll put them together in order on the wall when they're all finished. When DD2 woke up she joined in and started making some papers for the timeline as well, because it looked like fun. She never would have though to do this on her own, but she's enjoying the project with DD1.

Then today she was feeling really upset and ignored, so she and I went outside while DD1 stayed inside and worked on another project on her own. DD1 was free to just play or watch TV during that time, but I suggested she might be overall happier if she worked on one of the many projects she's got going on in her head. She worked on a Jewish Studies essay (doing research and putting it together coherently) and then DD2 will benefit later in the week bylistening to the completed essay.

In any case, DD2 was much happier after about 20 minutes outside alone with me. We walked around the yard a bit, played 4 games of tetherball (which COMPLETELY wiped me out!0 and then talked a bit more while sitting at the patio table. Now the girls are outside together and I'm getting some time alone.

We just need to make sure we schedule in "time alone with each child" and I think things will be OK. Already they're getting along a lot better than they did when DD1 was in school.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#67 of 202 Old 09-10-2008, 04:18 PM

I am having a hard time reading everyone's posts this morning after waking up with the worst headache I have ever had (and scaring the bejeezus out of my parents with an early AM "help me" call), but I wanted to respond to AllisonK.

AllisonK, I know how you are feeling in so many ways. I am not a Christian Unschooler, but I do work around 4 kids 3 days a week (2 are mine--dd is 3.5, ds is 5.5) and 2 are kids I watch (two boys, 1 and 3). Those days are a true challenge. DS has a strong desire to get out and "do something," while dd would like to play the day away with the other 3 year old. All of them love the park, but that requires our driving DH to the bus (if he wakes on time) or to work. It's a huge PITA!
The only thing that works is to find some activity they all can enjoy and have hands-on experience with. Play dough (homemade in wild colors, or just plain dough) works. Gloop (cornstarch and water--equal parts) works well, though messy.
As for having social interactions with "friends", we have a hard time, too. If it isn't in the afternoon when DD is exhausted, it's with a group of younger kids in the morning, and DS gets stuck being the leader, which isn't all bad, but he yearns for more "leaders".
I think the classes sound great. I am looking inot gymnastics for my kids, too.
How old is your DD? It sounds like she's getting to have some great experiences with other kids, but if she's anything like DS, it still isn't enough *sigh*.

Not sure if anything I am saying is making sense today...rambling and having a hard time seeing what I am writing.

s to all of us! It sounds like unschooling is feeling a bit overwhelming to us these days! Ironic, eh? I mean, so many people think it's so easy...heh, yeah, sooo easy. Try listening to the desires and passions of your child and actually atttempting to fullfill them. Just try it! !

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#68 of 202 Old 09-10-2008, 04:44 PM

My girlies have been playing wii fit for the last 2 days Oh and the tv has been on quite a bit as well, but at least it allows me some down time.

My 9yo decided she wants to write a letter to the gov't and get a petition for why kids should be allowed to vote. I doubt she'll go through with it, but i'm hoping with a little encouragement she'll at least write the letter.

------------------------
AllisonK I'm a christian unschooler if that helps Granted we can't hang out, but either way. hehe

I do understand what you are saying and have yet to find that balance myself. We are lucky in that my oldest dd's social needs are being met by neighborhood friends, but she still longs for more activities, which cost $ and time away from the home (at 26 weeks preggo, i don't wanna leave the house much, never mind throughout the fall).

I dunno, i'm thankful my kids have each other, but it is a huge challenge meeting everyone's needs and keeping up with the house, etc. I think every parent feels that though even with kids in school. (i'm only assuming though)
#69 of 202 Old 09-10-2008, 05:20 PM

Another Christian here I don't have any words of wisdom for you, allisonk, just some
#70 of 202 Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 PM

s to allisonK

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#71 of 202 Old 09-10-2008, 10:05 PM

AllisonK, have you considered inviting people to come to you? We have a local AP group and I'm starting to have once a month playgroups at my house to have people here for DS1. It's not all homeschoolers, but some of them are and that seems to work out well. The details are usually not that big a deal for me. I've found that through playgroups, I'm able to find at least one or two families that I can work well enough with and that DS1 will really like the child(ren).

Good luck!

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#72 of 202 Old 09-12-2008, 01:43 PM

Dd is making her Halloween costume already. (see my Wow post ) I also showed her how to make bean bag frogs - I love those things. If she doesn't make a bunch of them I think I will.

She's done research on writing her resume and is ready to get that done now. We were supposed to work on it last night but she was sleeping - doing the vampire thing again. So hopefully tonight - she says she wants to job hunt again this weekend. She's going to apply at Michaels Crafts.

The longer we do unschooling the more I am convinced it was the right choice!!
#73 of 202 Old 09-12-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

We had a good time at parkday, yesterday. Today we are a little grumpy so I'm glad we don't have plans. And I'm sore from chasing the kids in a rip roaring game of freeze tag on and around the play equipment. Of course, I couldn't catch any of them so I was it until I quit. I'm not sure how one stops being it in freeze tag. Do you have to freeze everybody first? That would be so impossible. Note to self, wear running shoes next time.

We rode our bikes to the post office. Ds has been enjoying using his stop watch. It took us 5 1/2 minutes to get there.

#74 of 202 Old 09-12-2008, 02:53 PM

I'm learning the value of making time for each child 1:1. I'm still adjusting to having 2 at home instead of just one. I ended up having 1:1 time with DD2 last night after DD1 went to bed- from about 12:30 to 2:30, then got up with DS at 7:00 AM. : I can't keep doing this! But, DD2 is much happier today having had that time with me.

It's just hard because DD1 has all these project ideas and DD2 wants to "just be" and it's hard to balance all that- do I work with DD1 on something that sounds interesting and productive or hang out with DD2 and "do nothing"? I'm planning to let DD1 do a lot of projects on her own so I get time with DD2.

Things will be even harder once HS activities begin. I'm trying to limit the number of activities we do (so we don't all get overwhelmed) but we'll still have much less time at home than we do now.

#75 of 202 Old 09-12-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

I just discovered this cool site full of instructions to do just about anything. I may not be back to MDC for a week or two.

http://www.instructables.com/

#76 of 202 Old 09-12-2008, 11:39 PM

Coltrane and I read The Velveteen Rabbit today and his lip started quivering when it ended. I asked him if he liked it and he kept repeating yes, but then he started crying, which started me crying. I forgot how much this story made me cry when I was little. Coltrane is just like me- my little sensitive 5 year old. We also read Elmer and the Dragon today. It was a big day for reading on this rainy day.
#77 of 202 Old 09-13-2008, 11:33 PM

we just got home after driving 1200mi in 2 days :

#78 of 202 Old 09-14-2008, 04:07 AM

AllisonK,

Hi mama! I am another Christian unschooler- writing about it here;
http://familyrun.ning.com/profile/HomeOfTheFree
and here;
http://authenticparenting.blogspot.com/

One of the most helpful things for me was to first read;
"Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves" by Naomi Aldort

And joining the Radical Christian Unschooler's yahoo group- are you on there?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RadChristianUnschoolers/

I wish I lived closer so I could give you a hug!
Blessings to you mama!
#79 of 202 Old 09-14-2008, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Coltrane View Post
Coltrane and I read The Velveteen Rabbit today and his lip started quivering when it ended. I asked him if he liked it and he kept repeating yes, but then he started crying, which started me crying. I forgot how much this story made me cry when I was little. Coltrane is just like me- my little sensitive 5 year old. We also read Elmer and the Dragon today. It was a big day for reading on this rainy day.
About a year and a half ago, I read the Giving Tree to ds. He was so upset! We had to alter the book and rewrite the ending so we could go to sleep!

Some people thought we were being sacrilegious to take out pages, as if a used, discarded, library book is somehow a relic to be touched only with gloved hands. As if ds, at age 5 3/4, would then believe all books he didn't like should be burned and no one else should be permitted to read other copies.

If he hadn't been so upset, I would have just disappeared the book, though.

#80 of 202 Old 09-14-2008, 09:24 AM

ugh. the giving tree.

#81 of 202 Old 09-14-2008, 12:53 PM

dd1 loves the giving tree and knows every word. in fact she even has several trees in our neighborhood that she calls her giving trees and hugs all the time. not that she wants to cut them down or anything. she wants to give something to the trees herself and if they give her something back like pine cones or leaves, she is very happy. it is a strange book though. dh can't stand it either.

unschooling mama with Toots'n Fruits (6) and BeenzieBoo (3)
#82 of 202 Old 09-14-2008, 01:53 PM

this is really weird. i always liked it but i guess i never saw it from an eco POV. really, what does the kid give back? not a damn lot! it's not like he's bleeding himself to fertilize the ground or hauling water to nourish the roots. and it's pretty codependent/enabling too. the tree is content to be a complete martyr as long as the kid doesn't leave him? eww! i'm thinking this one might find its way off the shelf and into the goodwill pile soon...
#83 of 202 Old 09-14-2008, 02:17 PM

The Giving Tree was my favorite book growing up, and it makes me cringe now. We have it and I've read it to my kids a few times but neither of them are into it.

blogging.jpg 
#84 of 202 Old 09-14-2008, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Ds has always been very attached to me, wants to die first (or at the same time) so he doesn't have to live w/o me, etc, hence his nickname 4everboy because he wants to be with me forever. So the idea of cutting up the tree was like killing his mother and completely upsetting to him. He just couldn't fathom why someone would do that.

Today, Ds decided he wanted to go birdwatching but we couldn't find any in the yard. Since dh was home from work, we had the car and jetted down to a nearby wildlife refuge. We saw some big white wading birds (I dunno, ds didn't want to go back to look at the pictures to see what exactly they were, lol) and some little ones. There weren't as many birds as usual, probably because it is hot and muggy. I'm glad I got him out of the house since he's been home since Thursday's parkday and I was feeling guilty about it. He has played in the rain a few times, practiced roller skating a few times, and spent his usual amount of time playing computer games (of the strategy/war type).

#85 of 202 Old 09-15-2008, 01:16 PM

Oh my gosh, I feel the same way about The Giving Tree. I think I've read it twice since I began reading tot he kids years ago...both times were upsetting, and I found myself questioning it out loud to/with the kids.

We took a road trip this weekend. We ended up in Stinson Beach at a flea market. DS bought a K'Nex kit for $2 and DD found a Woodkins kit from '98 for $2. Neither of them wanted to hit the beach until they'd spent an hour back in the RV playing with their new goodies. DH and I relaxed and smiled a lot as they both sat quietly engaged with what they were doing. It. was. bliss!!

We both rehashed our desire to roadschool, so we'll see...

#86 of 202 Old 09-15-2008, 04:10 PM

I'm wiped out physically and emotionally. Today was the "back to no school picnic" with the local HS group, and I'm tired from being out all day. I'm also feeling discouraged because DD1 didn't make ANY new friends, and spent most of the time sitting or standing around being bored. DD2 wasn't too happy either because many of her friends weren't there at all, and others were off with each other and she couldn't find them. (Nobody specifically excluded her, it was more that they wandered off when she was talking to adults or playing with a baby and then she couldn't find them again.)

So now I'm feeling kind of discouraged about how well this will work out if A) homeschool events wipe me out and B) DD1 doesn't make any new friends.

#87 of 202 Old 09-15-2008, 04:49 PM

Ruth. I have been in your exact situation. A few times....I guess the only thing I have done in that situation was to remind myself to hang in there, it will get better...I know that's not any help. I comiserate, mama.

For us, the beginning of the school year around here is tough. Our friends who go to Montessori talk about school constantly. We find fewer friends when we trek to the park. Every adult we run into seems to feel it necessary to ask DS about how school is going. ARGH!

#88 of 202 Old 09-15-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
So now I'm feeling kind of discouraged about how well this will work out if A) homeschool events wipe me out and B) DD1 doesn't make any new friends.
They wipe me out too sometimes (chronic fatigue syndrome). They aren't as bad when ds gets happily involved with someone and I can actually relax. I think the thing to do is to go, stay an hour (be late so you don't miss everyone since most people are late, ime), then leave if the kids aren't having a great time. I know it isn't that simple (your dd2 will want to stay and dd1 will be ready to go, probably). Maybe dd1 can bring something to do, maybe not a book which would make her unapproachable but something. Knitting?

I'm trying to iron out my project parkday plan, the plan to lure local hsers to the park by offering a project. My original plan was to make paddle boats with the kids (tape two water bottles together, put a rubber band with a paddle around the necks, add ballast) but the results were underwhelming. the wound up rubberband wound down so fast that they only went a foot.

So the new plan is to make balloon powered boats out of water bottles with sports lids. Make a hole in the side of the bottle (which will be the top of the boat), glue a spool on the hole. Let the glue cure (I'll have to do this part in advance). Add rocks for ballast so the lid is in the water. Blow up the balloon and put it on the spool. The rim of the spool will hold the balloon on, the closed sports lid will hold the air in until the lid is opened. Just got to test it, make sure the glue I'm using doesn't pop off (hot glue did pop off), and acquire a bunch of bottles with sports lids! I put a wanted on freecycle but haven't got a response.

#89 of 202 Old 09-15-2008, 06:21 PM

Hello friends, I am Jen

My 4yo loves the Giving Tree. I never really gave the book much thought, but I have felt sad at the end when I read it. I thought I was just being too emotional. Other books freaked me out too like Alice in Wonderland..I actually had nightmares!

I just wanted to say to AllisonK that we are Christian USers (leaning towrds RUs, but still learning about it). (my children are 4 and 7 mos) It is really hard to fit in. I belong to an HS group that is very realxed and unschooly but at church Christian groups I am definately the only one I see there living this life (US, NFL/AP). And I live in California!

I often get afraid that people (at church/other Christians) will think I am a bad parent because I am not constantly telling ds no and hovering over him (controlling him)...he watches movies, plays video games (we conquer the levels together..who knew that could be so much family fun!), runs around, makes messes, gets dirty ect. We are also are into AP so we co-sleep with both kids if ect...talking to the other mom's the most we have in common is BFing our infants. It is also diffucult to watch some of the interactions and the language people use to talk about their children. Sometimes I want to come to the child's defense but I just don't know what to do! (Like food forcing, calling one's child lazy ect)

This church is full of wonderful loving people and we really like it. BUT, I heard the other day that some members were talking about suggesting everyone read Sheparding a Child's Heart http://stoptherod.net/tripp.html (ie-punishment, control, spanking ect) so we could "all be on the same page" discipline wise (Um, NO!). There are lots of children and many families all share babysitting, plus the in home study groups, and children's Sunday School. Anyway, at least dh said that if the church chooses to use that book as their guideline then our children just will not participate in those activities that would have others disciplining our children.

Something else funny too is that I actually live down the street from the local public school (literally 3 minutes walking). When we tell our friends at church we will be homeschooling they say "but the public school here is great"...they don't even know we are unschoolers, but I still get the "how will your children learn to be around different types of peolple" thing...huh? Because we hang out with all types of people! the PS here is pretty much white, middle class and you are with the same age even!

So, I know this is my intro post but I guess I really needed to share these issues on people who would get it! I know this stuff is only the beginning because ds is not even kindergarten age yet and just people finding out we are homeschooling is causing issues. Dh has already decided he wants to tell people that "we design our own curriculum" instead of telling people there is none

When it comes down to it this is a wonderful life loving the Lord and each other while we all grow and learn together each day! I am so thankful to be introduced to this way of life because my heart is filled with joy! :

Jennifer

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#90 of 202 Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 PM

Just joining in too!

I am loving preschool unschooling my DD!

She's into dinosaurs lately, so we've made stuffed dinosaurs toy, paper dinosaurs, we've acted out being dinosaurs. got a couple of books on dinosaurs and she's loved it. It's so cool to see her be into something and follow it through in so many ways. I am excited to see what else she wants to explore.

She's also really enjoying books on CDs and asks for them all the time.

And ofcourse, all the other things a little kid enjoys, like painting, coloring, glueing things, cutting, having books read to her, going outdoors (alot!) and so on.

Unschooling is awesome!

And no set curriculium, nothing we must do every day, no certain way we must do crafts (I don't get the point of that), and just learning as we live. I love it

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies - www.granolababies.com
Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page