Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Snickerdoodles

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 eggs
1 tsp of vanilla (I always add a little extra)
3 cups flour

1/4 cup sugar
2-4tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375. Mix butter, sugar. add baking soda, cream of tartar, mix. add eggs and vanilla. Add flour. Chill for an hour or until can be rolled into balls. Mix sugar and cinnamon together. Roll dough into balls (I use one of those mini ice cream scoops but a spoon works just fine). Roll balls in cinnamon sugar mixture, place 2 inches apart on pan and bake for 10-11 minutes.

They will flatten as they cook and look slightly gooey when you take them out. Make sure they sit on the pan for a minute or two to set and then remove them to a cooling rack. Eat and enjoy!

This is a double batch and the recipe says makes 36 (so the double would make 72) but I never get more than 24-28 out of a double batch.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

Old 09-18-2008, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
majikfaerie, where do you live??
avant guardian

I've been seriously wondering how I could unschool my two girls since the older one, almost 4, refuses to even acknowledge the younger dd (17 months) to even be human. She never speaks to her, always tells me something about her while Romea sits in front of us. Well, tonight things shifted! Sophia actually played with Romea, pretended that she was HER baby and Romea totally played along, it was sooo cute. They pushed each other in the doll stroller through the living room and were totally at ease with each other.
:

I have renewed hope!

Sophia goes to preschool twice a week and ALWAYS rather stay home and in the past I "made her go", not forcibly, but trying to instill joy in seeing her friends, plus I needed some time alone with Romea. Now things seem much better with the two together that I feel she can just drop preschool... though they do fun stuff there and I feel she grows from her experiences with other kids. Now she asks me :"Are we unschooling today???" with a sense of excitement in her voice. It's so much fun.

unschooling mama with Toots'n Fruits (6) and BeenzieBoo (3)
Old 09-18-2008, 02:05 AM

thanks allisonk
we even have all those ingredients!
we're so gonna make those now : and : them. I love that they don't have chocolate! (I'm allergic to cocoa)

nani, that sounds like a tough situation, i'm glad to hear it;s getting better
I live in Australia - we're on 27 acres of rainforest with 200 fruit trees we moved here last year from asia.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Old 09-18-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avant guardian View Post
hi. first time posting here. I am thinking of moving to Washington from oregon. I am currently unschooling my 3 kids. Is it possible to unschool under washingtons homeschool laws? Thanks tons.
WA law states that you submit an intent to homeschool form to your local school district each year I believe starting at 8. Also yearly assessments that you keep for your records. You do not have to turn them in unless asked. Assessments need to be standardized test or given by an approved tester (pretty sure certified teacher but you would need to look up the exact wording of the law). This will be the first year that we have tested and we are going to do a mail order test from a place in Spokane. The two styles we are deciding between is a checklist kind and a freestyle kind. Checklist is just a list of what your child would have learned that year you check it off and send it back. The freestyle is just a list of subjects and you fill in what you have done and then send it back. I think we will do the the freestyle and see how we like it. I kind of suck at putting things into educationalese so we will see.

Where are you in Oregon now? We are in Vancouver so really close to Portland, OR. Welcome!

Old 09-18-2008, 03:05 AM

[QUOTEI live in Australia - we're on 27 acres of rainforest with 200 fruit trees we moved here last year from asia.[/QUOTE]

that is so cool, where in Australia??
I still remember all the HUGE fruit bats in downtown Sydney at the Botanical Gardens, and HUUUUGE spiders down under!

Gotta make some of those snicker doodle things tomorrow!

unschooling mama with Toots'n Fruits (6) and BeenzieBoo (3)
Old 09-18-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani View Post
that is so cool, where in Australia??
I still remember all the HUGE fruit bats in downtown Sydney at the Botanical Gardens, and HUUUUGE spiders down under!

Gotta make some of those snicker doodle things tomorrow!
we live in the hills near byron bay

Old 09-18-2008, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
i should have guessed. I thought it was some kind of art/craft thing.
It IS an art/craft thing- an EDIBLE craft project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant guardian View Post
hi. first time posting here. I am thinking of moving to Washington from oregon. I am currently unschooling my 3 kids. Is it possible to unschool under washingtons homeschool laws? Thanks tons.
I can't imagine ANY state's homeschool laws making unschooliing impossible. Even NYS, which requires quite a bit of paperwork, is still unschool-able. It just means I have "homework" to send into the school district 5 times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani View Post
I've been seriously wondering how I could unschool my two girls since the older one, almost 4, refuses to even acknowledge the younger dd (17 months) to even be human.
Even without reading the rest of your post, as soon as I saw the ages of your girls I was going to tell you to be patient! Kids grow so much, and things will change a LOT as your little one becomes more verbal and both of them develop logic skills and empathy. Besides, your bigger one is still quite small- yeah, she seems big compared to the toddler but 4 is still very, very young!

I'm glad to hear that things have already improved.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 09-18-2008, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Dang, did I miss the snickerdoodles? No wait, Majikfaerie lives in tomorrow so I'm right on time, right?

The car broke down, again, en route to the Cave. It was a lovely location for a breakdown (not on a highway!) and the weather was nice. Ds enjoyed riding in the tow truck but was cranky waiting for the first bus from the car shop. Got some pizza at the transfer point which made the second leg more pleasant. Not that I didn't have enough food with us since we were planning on being out for the day and had just stopped at Whole Foods for snacks of ds's choice.

We'll go another time.

My problem with ds (nothing new, just bugging me again) is he gets bored a lot. But he doesn't have the patience to do things that would keep him from being bored. He likes being comfortable, too, being the highly sensitive creature that he is so he doesn't like to have to walk far or go places if it is hot or cold. And he gets impatient with me if I try to do prep work for something that ought to be fun or interesting. He doesn't even like me to be in a different room! We need to get out more but it is such a struggle.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 09-18-2008, 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=4evermom;12208188

My problem with ds (nothing new, just bugging me again) is he gets bored a lot. But he doesn't have the patience to do things that would keep him from being bored. He likes being comfortable, too, being the highly sensitive creature that he is so he doesn't like to have to walk far or go places if it is hot or cold. And he gets impatient with me if I try to do prep work for something that ought to be fun or interesting. He doesn't even like me to be in a different room! We need to get out more but it is such a struggle.[/QUOTE]

Bummer about the car!

Do you mean bored at home or while you're out? I have been taking some time on Sundays while the kids are otherwise occupied, to plan a few activities for the week. Like gathering specific art materials, or science project materials, and listing a few fun game ideas. It doesn't matter if they don't get done, but that way when 'I'm bored' hits, it doesn't take much time, creativity, or energy on either of our parts for making something fun happen.

Our 'I'm bored' list this week is:

mini mosaics (did)
bean bag games
funny videos on youtube
sponge/straw/foam boats
beading necklaces
stamping (did)
making masks
simon says

blogging.jpg 
Old 09-18-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
Do you mean bored at home or while you're out?
Both!

I think he craves meaningful interactions with other people (friends on his same wavelength). And something else, but I'm not sure exactly what. He has been playing a complicated computer game a lot, lately. It's called Machines at War. You build stuff (walls, factories, power plants) with your funds. You give your troops assignments and they wage war with the opponents. And he creates lego spaceships, a lot. He likes to have battles with them as well.

He likes complicated, interesting things that work (contraptions) but doesn't have the maturity, patience, or dexterity for creating them. I do think his dexterity is fine for his age, but he'd rather have me do things than struggle with them. So if we do science projects, I'm doing most of it and he may or may not actually enjoy them since he gets annoyed waiting around while they are being done. I wish he were more interested in crafts because they are so easy for me to make available.

I remember my oldest brother having the same boredom issues that pretty much went away when we got our first computer when he was 15. He's now working at Google, lol.

I keep thinking maybe it will be better when he can read well, but I have no reason to really believe that since my brother certainly could read before he was 15, lol.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:55 PM

Welcome avant guardian!!

I get the I'M BORED thing too. I offer chores for her to do - she can usually find something herself rather quickly!

Dd STILL won't let me take pics of her hair. It's so cool. She cut it herself - short in the back and longer in the front, with a really long strand on either side of her face. She did what she calls 'coon tails' on the long strands by putting tape on her light hair before she dyed it black, so it has a striped effect. And she left streaks of lightness throughout too. I just love the color - it suits her.

She's switched herself back to sleeping at night and being awake during the day again. I wish I could sleep and be up whenever I wanted to be!

She's also sick today. Woke up with a sore throat. it isn't red, but her tonsils do look a bit swollen. So I loaded her up with raspberry juice, echinacea, vitamin c, a multivitamin and an ibuprofen and sent her back to bed before I came to work. She was snoozing nicely when I was home for lunch
Old 09-18-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
Both!

I think he craves meaningful interactions with other people (friends on his same wavelength). And something else, but I'm not sure exactly what. He has been playing a complicated computer game a lot, lately. It's called Machines at War. You build stuff (walls, factories, power plants) with your funds. You give your troops assignments and they wage war with the opponents. And he creates lego spaceships, a lot. He likes to have battles with them as well.

He likes complicated, interesting things that work (contraptions) but doesn't have the maturity, patience, or dexterity for creating them. I do think his dexterity is fine for his age, but he'd rather have me do things than struggle with them. So if we do science projects, I'm doing most of it and he may or may not actually enjoy them since he gets annoyed waiting around while they are being done. I wish he were more interested in crafts because they are so easy for me to make available.

I remember my oldest brother having the same boredom issues that pretty much went away when we got our first computer when he was 15. He's now working at Google, lol.

I keep thinking maybe it will be better when he can read well, but I have no reason to really believe that since my brother certainly could read before he was 15, lol.
Has he played this? It sounds like it would be right up his alley, my son loves it!

blogging.jpg 
Old 09-18-2008, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Has he played this? It sounds like it would be right up his alley, my son loves it!
I was just thinking of that game, trying to remember what it was called and why we didn't have it, lol. I think I came across it (or the predecessor) a couple years ago and I think the problem is it isn't Mac compatible He would love it, though! There is a pbs game that is vaguely similar, but much simpler, of course, that he has enjoyed. Goldburger to Go, maybe on the zoom section.

He doesn't complain about being bored, ever. He just gets really cranky and physical. And it isn't just gadgets he enjoys. He had an awesome time when we went to the beach for a day, last month. He'd only been there one other time a few years before. He had a blast because of the waves. He is like a cat and gets excited by things that move that he can chase (like the vacuum ).

He had fun with the bubbles, yesterday, the same way, chasing and catching them. Or kicking them.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:07 PM

This one works for Mac. And maybe get him a boomerang.

blogging.jpg 
Old 09-18-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This one works for Mac. And maybe get him a boomerang.
Awesome! Thanks!

Or a ball of yarn, lol. :

Old 09-19-2008, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Dang, did I miss the snickerdoodles? No wait, Majikfaerie lives in tomorrow so I'm right on time, right?
yep, you're right on time for the snickerdoodles
sucks about the car breaking down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedHead View Post
Dd STILL won't let me take pics of her hair. It's so cool. She cut it herself - short in the back and longer in the front, with a really long strand on either side of her face. She did what she calls 'coon tails' on the long strands by putting tape on her light hair before she dyed it black, so it has a striped effect. And she left streaks of lightness throughout too. I just love the color - it suits her.
sounds awesome! hope she's feeling better

we had library day today. dd had a huge meltdown coz 2 of her best friends were there, one of whom she has a standing playdate with on friday afternoons, and the 2 friends arranged to play together, and DD was *not* invited. one of the girls really felt she wasnt up for playing with more than one kid.
sigh.

the three of them had an amazingly impressive talking circle about it all, but after all of them sharing how they feel, and talking about options and solutions, they still decided to play together without DD.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
the three of them had an amazingly impressive talking circle about it all, but after all of them sharing how they feel, and talking about options and solutions, they still decided to play together without DD.
Aww, that's too bad. I think ds has trouble playing with more than one kid, too.

Last night, Ds ended up playing with a large sturdy cardboard tube that I had squirreled away.

We were up too late because I was unsettled by a nearby fatal shooting (a guy I used to see puttering around his yard with his baby in a front pack) and ds was watching Lady and the Tramp. He likes dogs so any movie with a dog is usually a hit and we picked this up at the library on our way home from the bus stop (right next to where the murder happened, too).

Old 09-19-2008, 10:56 AM

4evermom, sorry to hear about your neighbor. Lot's of angels sent his family's way.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:57 AM

wow, 4 ever, that's so heavy

Old 09-19-2008, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

And I was joking with dh about the woman picking something up on Monday that I was freecycling who brought two adult burly sons with her. They ALL got out of the car and came up to the porch to pick it up. I happened to glance out the window at that time and see them walking back to the car. THEY had heard the news, I guess! I didn't know for almost a week since it happened last Saturday.

We gotta get out of this area before ds wants to go anyplace by himself

Old 09-19-2008, 01:31 PM

Wow 4evermom, I hope you can move soon! That's scary.

Dd showed me her latest drawings last night and they're so freaking good I can't stand it. They're all of women/girl faces and bodies. She IS going to let me take pics of them and post them - I'll let you know when I add them to our blog
Old 09-19-2008, 02:26 PM

OK, once again it's time for me to give up on reading all the posts before posting or I'll never get it done! I feel like I haen't really checked in all summer but tina's post inspired me.

We have been having a crazy summer. I don't know if anyone remembers but we are in the process of building a multi family house with my parents and MIL. So this summer we had to sell our house, so we spent most of July renovating like mad (oh yeah and having a baby! ) Then sold it. We got a good price quickly which was really nice. We are now all living in my parents house while we wait for the new house to be complete. This is stressfull for everyone and I can't wait for it to be over.

OTOH our house should be done in about a month, and we continue to be excited and pleased with the beutifull lot we found. We have seen deer and all matter of water fowl and babies. We also found a just hatched snapping turtle in our back yard which was amazing.

I'm having trouble balancing the kids in this environment. DS1 is calmer and like to do more reading, boardgames, workbooks, diorama's and complex imaginary play etc.......DS2 is very tactile and physical and does everythig BIG! Combine this with having a babe in arms and living with grandparents who are used to much quiter life and I am feeling pulled in all directions! DS2 thrives on the mayhem and grandparents attention but ds 1 needs more routine and calm. DH is on leave which is really nice but adds to the inability to have any routine, which makes me a bit batty.

The kids have started some fall programming which is nice for all of us. DS1 started a music for young children piano class which he seems to be really enjoying, it's very behaviorist which is not really my cup of tea, but he really digs it. DH plays a lot of music so I think DS is excited to be able to share that with him. He is also doing swimmin once a week which he is lukewarm on but we live beside a river and have a cabin on a deep lake so I feel like it's really important for the kids to all have basic swimming. And both the kids are doing a homeschool gym class once a week, we haven't started yet but I suspect they will really dig it. We have a YMCA membership which i love since lots of programming is included for free, plus the pool, plus they have giant indoor playstructures which is great for the super cold cliamte (winnipeg) that we live in.

We have also started to find out nich in the local homeschool group and make some friends which I'm sooooo happy about. ::: We are all really social and so this is really important for us.

OK that's enough for now but I wanted to share some photo's if anyone else loves looking at pics:

Construction of the new house part 1 & 2

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.ph...a&id=654541894

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.ph...6&id=654541894

general summer funnery

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.ph...45681&l=42150&

Our new baby girl (birth photos)!!!!

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.ph...3&id=654541894

there has to be some other photophiles here!
Old 09-19-2008, 02:28 PM

4evermom,
That is tragic
Last week we had a man commit suicide after holding his wife nad two kids hostage. There was a standoff for about 8 hours before they went in and discovered he'd done it. Luckily the family was released before it happened.

We're ready to move, too.

Bedhead, your DD has some incredible talent! It's awesome that she has all the time in the world to develop it, yk? Imagine having hours of homework, having to sit in a crowded classroom, having her passions squelched or dismissed as doodlingthat was me, btw ...)

YAY, unschooling!!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
Old 09-19-2008, 04:28 PM

4evermom.

anarchamama- congrats! How clever to put a card with the baby's name and age right in the photo- 20 years from now you won't have any trouble figuring out which baby it was!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 09-19-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everybody, not that my being upset holds a candle to the people closer to the situation. My mom sent me a link to a murder map for our area so I got to find out about the 83 yo beaten to death in March and a couple other gems.

We went to pick up the car from the shop. Went to the mall afterward as requested by ds. On the way back, the car fritzed out again. We ended up getting towed back to the shop, lol. On the bright side, we got out of the house today, and it isn't my car so I don't have to foot the bill!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
And I was joking with dh about the woman picking something up on Monday that I was freecycling who brought two adult burly sons with her. They ALL got out of the car and came up to the porch to pick it up. I happened to glance out the window at that time and see them walking back to the car. THEY had heard the news, I guess! I didn't know for almost a week since it happened last Saturday.

We gotta get out of this area before ds wants to go anyplace by himself
whoa. that is so scary. that's why we left israel. not murders, but bombs and guns. some guy suicide bombed himself in my street, about 200 ft from our house. i love australia

OK that's enough for now but I wanted to share some photo's if anyone else loves looking at pics:

Construction of the new house part 1 & 2

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.ph...a&id=654541894

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.ph...6&id=654541894

general summer funnery

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.ph...45681&l=42150&

Our new baby girl (birth photos)!!!!

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.ph...3&id=654541894

there has to be some other photophiles here![/QUOTE]wow, great pics! thanks for sharing the birth photos. the house looks great too
I'm a photophile (if the 3000+ pics in my flickr has anything to say about it) http://flickr.com/photos/majikfaerie/

Quote:
We went to pick up the car from the shop. Went to the mall afterward as requested by ds. On the way back, the car fritzed out again. We ended up getting towed back to the shop, lol. On the bright side, we got out of the house today, and it isn't my car so I don't have to foot the bill!
whoa, you're having some serious car karma. :

Old 09-19-2008, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
whoa, you're having some serious car karma. :
I'm just pleased as punch that I bought myself a cell phone for my last birthday and renewed the roadside service plan that my mom gave me for my previous plan. Where is the back patting smily?

Hopefully ds will be less traumatized than I was by all the times the car broke down as a kid back in the day before cell phones and such.

And I think dh now understands why I always make sure we have ds's shoes and water/snacks when we are going on a quick car ride someplace!

We played around with mosaics for a while today. I had picked up a kit for doing reproductions of ancient masterpieces at a thrift store last year and tucked it away. We did not try to copy the masterpieces as intended, however.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Alright! Car is fixed. We're going to drive dh to work so we can go do something fun, tomorrow. Go to a kid's museum that we've never been to, I think. We're in such a cranky rut and need a vacation, lol. I always feel like ds is better after we go out of town and we didn't get anywhere this summer. Hopefully some day trips will help.

We met a few people at a park for our "science project" parkday. There were last minute cancellations so I was left holding the bag (of materials I bought based on the headcount of people who RSVPed. I had asked that everyone give me a dollar per kid to partially reimburse me. Won't do that again!). The kids had more fun just trying to catch fish with nets which was fine since my only goal was to get people to meet us at the park. One caught a crayfish which was exciting. And the balloon powered boats worked nicely.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
whoa. that is so scary. that's why we left israel. not murders, but bombs and guns. some guy suicide bombed himself in my street, about 200 ft from our house. i love australia
My husbands family (adoptive not in laws long story) live in Israel and its so scary. For me anyway they could not imagine living anywhere else and just love it there.

Do the huge spiders I hear about in Australia come in your house? Cause well if they do I am so never going there. I am terrified of the huge one the kids found in our backyard and its only the size of a quarter. Its living in an aquarium on our patio table. UGH!!!!!! That is one project that will never come inside the house.

User Tag List