Happy September! :

Last month: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=943129

Where were we? Ah... yes, figs

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#2 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
happy not having to buy poor quality, overpriced, shiny, plastic, back-to-school CRAP month!
#3 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was tempted by some brown recycled paper folders with butterflies printed on them. But we bought temporary tattoos with dragons, instead.

#4 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 11:45 AM

ohh... a VERY wise decision, imo. ds would be crazy jealous. we have a big ol box for completed projects; don't need no stinkin fancypants folders!
#5 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Ds doesn't do 2D, lol.

#6 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 11:54 AM

see? those folders wouldn't have done squat then.

my kid's mostly in his element with a large blank surface (or many small ones) and a bin full of sharpies. if you're looking to buy some corporate stock, i'd suggest whoever makes those. he's only 5 and i know his marker appetite will only increase with age.
#7 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian's mama View Post
see? those folders wouldn't have done squat then.

my kid's mostly in his element with a large blank surface (or many small ones) and a bin full of sharpies. if you're looking to buy some corporate stock, i'd suggest whoever makes those. he's only 5 and i know his marker appetite will only increase with age.
Especially if he gets addicted to the fumes.

#8 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian's mama View Post
happy not having to buy poor quality, overpriced, shiny, plastic, back-to-school CRAP month!
I haven't posted on here in ages, but we're still around. We've been busy making plans to move back to the U.S. in November!

Next month, we have to go to the U.S. Embassy in London to sort out the kids' documents, and we're hoping to be able to do some sight seeing while there.

Ds has taken the train to Manchester today to take care of some band business, and dd and I are hanging out at home.

Earlier this afternoon, she wanted to bring the Wii down from her room to the living room. She got everything all connected, and then the tv wouldn't turn on. I got down on the floor to have a look at the connections...

Well, our living room is tiny, so I had to move a table from the corner in order to shove the couch down a couple feet so I could get at the wires. When I lifted the table, it fell apart (it was wobbly to begin with), so I hauled it into the kitchen and put it upside down on the floor.

I saw dd with a look on her face, and instantly knew what she was thinking. The upside down table (it has 2 sets of u-shaped supports rather than conventional legs) is just the right shape and height for making hurdles. Dd is always rigging up things to practice show-jumping with our dog (who is not a show dog, but dd likes to pretend she is). She's waiting for dh to get home with the tools.

...back to the living room. I had to unplug everything (what a jumbled mess!) and untangle a dozen wires to figure out what was what. Then, I realized how DUSTY the room was. One chore led to another, and I ended up gutting the room, cleaning everything, clearing out a bunch of stuff that needs to be packed and rearranging the furniture. It was one of those "Give a Pig a Pancake" moments, but it's all nice and tidy now.
#9 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 12:25 PM

Subbing.
not really sure how it works, I've never joined one of these kinds of threads.
(didn't join baby birth month lists either).

Anyhow, I am a new hser, we just pulled our 11yo dd, but 9yo dd is still in ps. I really want to unschool, but dh is going to need to see "school at home", which could be tricky since once harvest is over (we are grain farmers) he will be in the house all the time, and "supervising" us. He is not so sure about hsing.

We live in a very rural area, about 150 miles from a city, and our school is threatened with closure. So isolation is our challenge - that's why I really need online support. DD dances 4 days a week in the next town, that will be her main social contact.

TTFN
Janice
in Saskatchewan, Canada
#10 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 12:30 PM

Hi! I'm Chanda and I am starting my first year of homeschool- with an unschooling perspective on my part, but my 11.5 dd is definitely into lots of assignments and charts and such. So we "started school" yesterday and I just feel so dang relieved to not send my bright shiny girl back to the mines so to speak. I figure what we don't do is as-or more- important as what we do. Anyway, I hope I can continue to get support here as it was the only way I was able to be brave enough to pull her out of the system.
So Greetings!!:
#11 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 12:35 PM

Welcome, Janice and Mamahart. My dd is also 11.
#12 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 12:36 PM

To Janice in Canada- my situation is very similar, our school is now down to about 12 students and the nearest city is over 2 hour drive. My DD babysits little ones around town and I make sure she visits with the 2 friends she has here on the weekends. My dh is supportive but it is funny how much "schoolwork" my daughter is expecting. I would love to communicate more, my husband is a vegetable farmer and will be home much more in the winter as well-I also have a 3.5 ds. We are trying to get ready for winter right now which I think is an education in itself- well at least for me as I head into my 4th winter of rural life
#13 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 01:07 PM

mamahart - I emailed you - lets talk privately at my email address momsformilk @ sasktel dot net.

Janice
#14 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadmom View Post
Welcome, Janice and Mamahart. My dd is also 11.
Thanks for the welcome! - maybe our dd's could penpal?

Janice
#15 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 01:28 PM

aww... i can't wait til ds can fully write on his own. i know he's really gonna dig the idea of penpal'ing, especially internationally. i always got a huge kick out of it as a kid.
#16 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 02:02 PM

Welcome new mamas!

I would also like some figs if anyone cares to send them

Dd has been walking around with a huge grin on her face for the last few days, telling everyone who cares to listen, "I don't HAVE to go back to school!" (Today the kids are all back here) She's also loaned the teenage liberation handbook to her friend that came camping with us this summer.

16 yo ds is living with my parents 100 miles away and going to his last year of high school there, so I officially have no kids at home in school!
#17 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Hi!

Glad to find this thread/board. We are "officially?" homeschooling/unschooling our 5 yr old. PS's in Va started school today...and we met our friends at the playground near a very cool river. LOL. Ahhhh....the life.

I am certain about unschooling...but struggle with the "lameness" I sometimes feel as my other homeschooling friends cart their children off to art classes/dance classes/soccer/drama etc....(these kids are 4-6 yrs old) -

That's not in our budget...nor in our energy allowance . We do martial arts twice a week (which is very important to DS) and soccer in Spring and we are involved with a lapbooking club...and that is plenty for us right now!

I'd love to hear from others with a limited budget and how that works out for you and your children.

Traci
#18 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 05:41 PM

jeez. your schedule puts us to shame. ds hasn't expressed much interest in classes. i'm pretty psyched because we're a$$ broke right now anyway. i want to get him in something theater/drama-ish pretty soon but no rush. he's also only 5.

what's funny is that my favorite HS family (artsy mama, rocker dada, cas's 2 best buddies, and MY chubby 2yo buddy) is a little scared to really plunge, i think, but definitely on the UNschool spectrum. only one other HS family we know, actually, is all about "extracurricular", but i think it's because their dd's introverted and they're a bit wigged about "socialization". everyone else is happy, for now at least, to keep school at home- where it belongs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Adam View Post
That's not in our budget...nor in our energy allowance .
no self mocking about that! i really respect that gas guzzling enters your family's equation. someday, when your son's older and there's still a wildlife refuge in alaska, he'll thank you for skipping out on piano lessons.
#19 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Adam View Post
We do martial arts twice a week (which is very important to DS) and soccer in Spring and we are involved with a lapbooking club...and that is plenty for us right now!
Heh, you make us look lame.

My big weekly effort is driving ds to a parkday that is either 45 or an hour away. That also involves driving dh to and from work (half hour each way plus waking up in time).

Every now and then, I try to get something going closer to home but it's rare I get any takers. People are just too busy I think. I'm working on project ideas in case I get crazy enough to issue an invite to do something more structured. It's risky, though. Not just inviting strangers over (maybe we could meet at a park) but committing to orchestrating something that ds may or may not be in the mood for when the time comes.

#20 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 08:51 PM

hey everyone! welcome to september... um, it is still 2004, right?

the figs aren't ripe, sorry. but the trees are good for climbing!

welcome to the new members too!

we're planning on going to the beach today, till gf gets home from work.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#21 of 202 Old 09-03-2008, 01:41 AM

We take advantage of the Parks and Rec programs here, for inexpensive activities. 3 classes cost about $120 for 1/week for an hour.

So far our week looks like this:

Monday- visiting with grammy

Tuesday- Ella and I have Movers and Shakers class from 11-1130, and then we all go to the big homeschool park day from 12-5.

Wednesday- Unschool playgroup park day from 1-4, Nic has gymnastics from 5-6

Thursday- Nic has Capoeira from 4-515.

Friday- sleeping ALL day.

It seems like a lot, but it's really what the kids want. They are both really social and we have a great group of friends. It might prove to be too much for Ella, but if that's the case Nic can tag along to park days with other friends. We also frequently have kids over or he goes to their houses, and our group does field trips and extra activity days here and there, and on the weekends we do a lot of free days at museums, theaters, etc. Through our homeschool group we get discounted tickets for operas, plays, and other performances. We have a zoo membership and a Wildlife museum membership that were gifts. We also take full advantage of the 'free' entertainment on the internet

blogging.jpg 
#22 of 202 Old 09-03-2008, 04:26 PM

Hi!
We don't do many activities here at all. I used to worry about getting them out at least 4 times a week, now we pretty much only go out to visit friends, and my kids will be joining awana since the *LOVE* it.

Yesterday we watched all the kids march to the bus stop in their new clothes and heavy backpacks. No sadness here!!

Today the kids built a pirate fort and played pirate So much better than sitting in a desk all day.

My 9yo is interested in doing some 'schooly' type projects but didn't know what so we picked up OM grade 4, and she is loving some of the ideas in it
Lots of fun nature stuff and art techniques!
#23 of 202 Old 09-03-2008, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Suddenly, I started worrying about how we were going to get through the winter. Last winter, ds discovered eating when bored so he got a little chubby. I figured he'd slim down, have a growth spurt when spring came but that hasn't happened. I want to meet his activity needs more and have already today chased him around the house and had a water gun fight outside. But that is going to get old (and cold, lol) over the winter.

There are a few homeschool gym and swim programs around but the closest one is a bit of a commitment (14 weeks and $160). There is a farther one for 7 weeks and $65 but it is at a bad time of day and not the best day of the week (afternoons when ds is tired, Fridays when we have a busy Thursday before it). Ds could easily hate it, not want me out of his sight, want help in the dressing room, etc which would probably go over better at the farther one. But I'd love to meet some local homeschoolers and no one is keen on meeting us at playgrounds. So I'm having a fit of indecision. Probably should go with my motto "when in doubt, go the cheap route."

#24 of 202 Old 09-03-2008, 06:46 PM

i intend to set up our badminton net across the playroom. it's already emptied of breakables so ds can go nuts in there. i figure it'll give us both some much needed activity on those lovely maine icy afternoons!
:
#25 of 202 Old 09-03-2008, 08:24 PM

Hi everyone,

My kids go to parkdays twice a week (AP and unschoolers) but no structured activities. I offer, but ds1 has no interest whatsoever. I think ds2 is still too young, though I'm sure he'd want to go along if his brother signed up for something.

I think I'm going to get ds2 a pair of tap shoes that he can wear around the house to make music. What else do your kids like to do? I want to enrich our environment, but I'm running out of ideas.
#26 of 202 Old 09-04-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice in Canada View Post
Thanks for the welcome! - maybe our dd's could penpal?
If your dd is seriously interested, pm me and I'll ask mine if she wants to.

Re activities... We've had times where we were bordering on over-scheduled, and times where we've completely kept to ourselves. I think we have a nice balance now, although with our impending move, all sense of rhythm and harmony is about to go out the window!
#27 of 202 Old 09-05-2008, 04:45 AM

hey ladies... i didn't read all the posts.. :

but i wanted to say hi.. my dd will be three in dec, and we're already getting the preschool questions! anyway after reading my ishmael when i was 17 i knew i was going to un school when i had kids. i need to slow down though, anyway.. i will try to keep up w/ this thread, but don't hate me if i don't! lol

Miranda, crunchy SAHM to Faelynn Ray (12/29/05), Evan William (1/5/08) and Hazel Elizabeth our due date baby! (2/27/10)
#28 of 202 Old 09-05-2008, 06:04 AM

welcome chataine

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#29 of 202 Old 09-05-2008, 11:35 AM
pia

Hi all! And welcome to new unschoolers!!! :

We're not in need of new fancypants folders either! We spent the money on tickets to see Cirque de Soleil next week in stead. :

We don't do any classes either. Ds has never been interested. Well, except when we we were in India and he was obsessed with cricket. He did a cricket camp: 3 hours a day for a week. That was almost 3 years ago.

This has been our week so far:
Monday
Ds helped me clean the flat, took almost the whole day
Tuesday
Went to art gallery, talked to owner, invited us to opening of exhibition on 18th
Wednesday
Took neighbor dog for 3 hour walk in forest, picked blackberries :
Thursday
Went to beach
Friday
Had builder over to fix stain on wall, ds discusses paint and water stains with him. Club Penguin online while chatting oon the phone with a friend and right now watching new episodes of Mythbusters.

All this....actually it doesn;t seem so much when written like this, but add in some intense discussions on politics in the US...watching videos of speeches, reading newspaper reports online, watching some movies, cooking, grocery shopping (which ds loves)...and our week has been FULL!

Let's see what the weekend brings! : Maybe a trip to the beach...

Oh, wanted to ask you guys if you have seen the movie called Surfwise the film. http://www.surfwisefilm.com/
I haven't seen the movie, just the "webisodes" online. Would like to see it though.
#30 of 202 Old 09-05-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chataine View Post
hey ladies... i didn't read all the posts.. :

but i wanted to say hi.. my dd will be three in dec, and we're already getting the preschool questions! anyway after reading my ishmael when i was 17 i knew i was going to un school when i had kids. i need to slow down though, anyway.. i will try to keep up w/ this thread, but don't hate me if i don't! lol
:

My dd will also be three in December. When the time comes, I have no intention of sending her to school. I'm not really sure where I fit though. I don't plan on doing a curriculum but there are things that I want my kids to learn (through play) that I'll get into as we come upon them in real life. So eclectic homeschooler, unschooler? I have no idea, but I'm here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page