We've been hotlined! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 95 Old 04-19-2009, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well where I live they come out for ANYTHING! 7 years ago my stepsons mom called in a report and said that his shoes were too big and he tripped when he walked and they came to his school with a police officer and pulled him out of class (he was in K) to check his shoes! For real! (my stepson has lived with us for 9 years) They closed out the report with no problems but I was shocked to see that they would act on a report like that.

After the incident where my MIL called on us a few months ago I received a phone call from my local school board telling me they needed the information on my kids private school (phone number/email/address) to verify the legitimacy of the school! A few days later I received an email from our private school telling me they had been contacted and confirmed our enrollment!
#92 of 95 Old 04-19-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow! Well, I guess I won't let myself feel overly-secure, but at the same time will try to not overly-worry.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#93 of 95 Old 04-19-2009, 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=mammal_mama;13582124]
Anyhow, I was under the impression that CPS would only take a call seriously, if the caller was reporting actual observations. Meaning, if we had mutual friends who were still in touch with both of us (we don't), my mom or sister could take something observed by the mutual acquaintance, and call about that. But I was thinking that since they're so unlikely to hear any new information about our kids, in order to call they'd literally have to fabricate stuff. /QUOTE]

yeah, that call would not have been accepted in a lot of states, but i have heard FL is pretty harsh as far as CPS goes.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#94 of 95 Old 04-19-2009, 08:05 PM

I just saw this thread for the first time.

I cannot imagine family doing something like this, especially when it's pretty obvious that you put so much time and effort and care into your kids' learning.

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#95 of 95 Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Materfamilias View Post
I just saw this thread for the first time.

I cannot imagine family doing something like this, especially when it's pretty obvious that you put so much time and effort and care into your kids' learning.
Thanks! I think my sister's hostility had been building, especially since a few months before the call, she had wanted my mom to pay her to put together curriculum for my older dd. My mom said she would only do it if I was willing to follow it.

And I thanked my sister, but explained that we have internet access too, and can easily look up stuff ourselves (she was basically printing different stuff out that she'd found on different sites, and organizing it around themes). I explained that the activities looked fun -- but dd often has her own ideas of what she wants to do each day, so while she might very well choose to do some of the stuff, I just couldn't promise that we'd make it worth my sister's while (and my mom's money) by following the whole curriculum.

I think she was p!ssed that I prevented her from making some additional income -- and also that she and my mom were both offended by the fact that I'd leave it up to dd to decide what she wanted to do.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page