Unschooling Support Oct 08 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 107 Old 10-26-2008, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there everyone! I am peeking in after some pretty extended abscences...

Our lives have had some changes over the summer and into early fall. It's amazing how quickly things change and how odd life can be? So yeah, I've been a tad scattered.

So where are we?

Dd is :

* Very excited for Samhain/Halloween. We are having a little party on the 1st. We are making bleeding cupcakes and dirt cake and veg enchiladas!

* Also very excited for her upcoming 15th birthday party. Karoke, pizza, and pajamas.

* Even more excitment for a visit from her (first ever) boyfriend who is coming for the above mentioned birthday party. He is flying in and staying at our house for the weekend. Though they have been talking via phone and pc for a year this will be the first IRL meeting. Oy!

* Is learning Italian.

*Researching the presidential candidates and VP candidates and their positions

Ds is:

*Loving World of Warcrack

*Enjoying being in contact with a friend we hadn't heard from in awhile

*Reading

*Daydreaming about owning a motorcycle

*Exploring Latin

*Addicted to reading about movie tropes

*Watching reruns of House

I am:

*Applying for part time work in early childhood ed

*have applied to college, for financial aid, and I look to go in the winter.

*lost my mind, clearly. (see the above lol)

*Am trying to get back into some art projects, but I struggle to do that when I am in a place of sadness or confusion/chaos. Some artists thrive on that emotion for their work, but it just paralyzes me instead. More news at 11... :eh

Good to see you all.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#92 of 107 Old 10-26-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

hey unschoolnma!
i was thinking about you the other day, and about lexi.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#93 of 107 Old 10-27-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post

Good to see you all.
Good to see you too! Sounds like you have LOTS on the go!!
#94 of 107 Old 10-29-2008, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Unschoolnma!

Ds is very excited about Halloween. We might ToT near dh's workplace since we have to pick him up after 6 and our neighborhood is lousy for ToTing. I wanted to try another neighborhood, anyway, this year. Most people around here don't participate for religious reasons, or maybe safety ones, and we are lucky if there are two houses per block with their lights on.

Poor kid feels like he's worked hard and must have gotten a ton of candy and is disappointed at how little he actually got. The people who do give out candy are generous, though. No one gives out just one piece. My mom will be here to give out treats so we don't need to have one of us home for that.

Ds made up a ball game called defender. It's kind of like indoor 2 person soccer with less rules. Right now he is playing it with grandma .

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#95 of 107 Old 10-30-2008, 06:43 PM

So is everyone ready for Halloween?

The Costume is almost ready. We got the fake blood from a Halloween specialty shop. She's probably going to spend all of tomorrow getting ready - I can hardly wait to see what she comes up with for make up!
#96 of 107 Old 10-30-2008, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We don't do Halloween- so, yeah, you could say we're all ready for it.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#97 of 107 Old 10-31-2008, 03:17 AM

Getting ready for Hallow/Samhain. Costumes are all good to go. Dd is Alice in Wonderland, Ds is a pimp (crazy hat and bling, etc), and I am a mobster. We carved pumpkins and we'll have our get together on Saturday. Tomorrow Dd is going TorTing with friends of ours so that will be fun.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#98 of 107 Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

we live in australia, so we don't do halloween (and anyway, here it's technically beltane)
but I was totally surprised to be in town this evening, and there were swarms of young teens/ pre-teens in various stages of halloween dress, egging and waterbombing each other.
I've never seen any halloween celebrations before, and definitely nothing in Oz. apparently it's a new thing. but even in our neighbourhood there were some local kids trick-or-treating! : i'd never heard of it here before. must be all that american bad influence

but dd got inspired and threw on a fairy dress (actually, took off a ballerina dress - she lives 24/7 in either a fairy or ballet dress) and ran around with the other kids.

#99 of 107 Old 10-31-2008, 10:18 AM

Ds can't wait.

I have to mend some stitches that came out of his costume. I want to put up a few lights so our house looks hospitable. I have some cookie dough mixed up (molasses crinkles) as a treat for dh that I want to bake. I have to figure out dinner for dh that he can eat in the car since we're making him wait for us to ToT near his workplace. Maybe I'll splurge on cheesesteaks.

We're going to a parkday for a couple hours this afternoon, too. :

#100 of 107 Old 10-31-2008, 01:39 PM

Halloween. We went to a H gathering the other day, and tonight we are meeting some hsing friends for pizza at their place, and going TotTing in the city. Crack open a beer and sit on the porch...is myhope for the adults. lol

Oldest dd is a fuzzy creature she created, and a friend put together; youngest dd is a lamb. (Same friend sewing). Youngest ds is a ghoul, and oldest ds is away at college, and a part of me doesn't want to think about Halloween on a Friday night on a college campus. Dh and I are thinking about going to Rocky Horror tonight, but I don't feel like gathering the AP stuff. But I don't want to go without them, either. Which means, in my laziness, we won't go. But I like the thought of it.

Last night we carved our pumpkins (our best crop this year was pumpkins-- I just threw the seeds direcelty in a huge pile of composted horse manure leftover from the people who used to own our home. Wow, that stuff is good). DDs sold some out in front of the house. That was fun and they made about $18 dollars. Today, the chickens are feasting on the innards (I froze some for treats later in the season. lol. Chickens like pumpkin guts).

Ok, I think that is it for now.
#101 of 107 Old 10-31-2008, 03:02 PM

UUMom, where do you live? My pumpkins didn't turn orange for me this year, and I only had three little ones. I never have much luck with them, and I've always figured it's because of the short growing season.

I wish we had chickens!!

Dd is going to my parents for a week tomorrow - it will be interesting to see what she ends up doing while she's there!
#102 of 107 Old 10-31-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

while you're all hallowe'ening, those of us who live in the topside of the world are celebrating Beltane

#103 of 107 Old 10-31-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
while you're all hallowe'ening, those of us who live in the topside of the world are celebrating Beltane
How IS tomorrow doing?

Ds had a good time. He traipsed around for an hour and got a good haul. He also had fun giving out treats when we got home, relieving grandma of the duty and running down the walk to give sidewalk service. I am tired! We also went to a parkday, did minor errands, halloween related tasks, etc.

#104 of 107 Old 10-31-2008, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

tomorrow is great. looks like it might rain though. oh and tomorrow there will be brownies!

#105 of 107 Old 10-31-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedHead View Post
UUMom, where do you live? My pumpkins didn't turn orange for me this year, and I only had three little ones. I never have much luck with them, and I've always figured it's because of the short growing season.

I wish we had chickens!!

Dd is going to my parents for a week tomorrow - it will be interesting to see what she ends up doing while she's there!
I live in MA. I still have 3 that haven't turned completely yet. They don't need to be on the vine to turn. Yours will last longer and may be ready at T'giving.

I think it's lovely your parents enjoy your teen. That's sweet. It doesn't have to be perfect to be nice, right?
#106 of 107 Old 11-01-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
tomorrow is great. looks like it might rain though. oh and tomorrow there will be brownies!
Sounds perfect, FutureGirl! :

I need to recover from two days of chasing kids on play equipment. I probably didn't do it for more than a half hour each day but that running up steps/ladders and going down slides/firepoles is a surprisingly good workout! I'm tired and sore and looking forward to those brownies. Except they seem to be molasses spice cookies here...

#107 of 107 Old 11-01-2008, 11:07 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page