Another new cosmetic product made from the discarded foreskins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 11-18-2008, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yet another proof there is money being made through circumcision...

Article Here

Quote:
This treatment, called Vavelta, has been developed by the British biomedical company Intercytex....

Vavelta is a clear liquid in which tiny skin cells, called fibroblasts, are suspended. These are derived from baby foreskins donated by mothers at a hospital in the U.S. after routine circumcision...

Once in Britain, they are divided into pieces less than a centimetre square and treated with enzymes to release the fibroblasts.
:Puke

Bad enough to know the foreskins get sold.... worse now to know they are sold overseas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 47 Old 11-18-2008, 08:26 PM

yuck
#3 of 47 Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

So the more I think about this, the more PO'ed I get.... Like how many of the mothers "donate" them, vs how many are just taken.
#4 of 47 Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 PM

#5 of 47 Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
But because scarring causes psychological damage, when the treatment works, we are talking about a life-changing effect.'
Do people seriously contemplate suicide over scars?

That woman's after shot didn't look a whole lot better. In fact, I would venture a guess that had they kept the lighting the same, and didn't put something on her face to keep it from being shiny in the after, there would be hardly any difference.
#6 of 47 Old 11-18-2008, 08:44 PM

I'm an acne sufferer and there is no way. That's just disturbing on all kinds of levels. I consider my acne scars like I do my stretch marks - badges of motherhood. I have cystic acne during pregnancy and nursing (and about 6 mos after weaning). So I've had it quite a bit for the last 7 years. It's painful and annoying and the scars bother me a tad. But so many women have a much more difficult time in pregnancy, or even with getting pregnant, that I can live with it and not complain, kwim?

Beth
#7 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 12:16 AM

Ummm, what about the freakin' PENIS SCARS that every circumcised boy has?

Truly vile.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#8 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 AM

This is awful.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#9 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 02:40 AM

Stephanie ~ Mama to Avery (7/07) & Iona (3/10)
#10 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 AM

disgusting.
#11 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoredIntactivst View Post
So the more I think about this, the more PO'ed I get.... Like how many of the mothers "donate" them, vs how many are just taken.
Yeah the word "donate" doesn't strike me as the appropriate word

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#12 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 03:17 AM

Never met on mom that said, "I donated my son's foreskin". "Stolen" is the right word.
#13 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 03:22 AM

i had a rod fused to my spine starting right above the second to last vertebrate and going all the way up to right between my shoulder blades. they took a bone graph from my hip to fuse. so i have the scar all the way up my spine, a scar on my hip from the bone graph, and three circular scars from some miscellaneous tubing. and now i have a c section scar.

1. i have never considered this something to get upset about
2. if i did i wouldnt use little boy foreskin to cover up .

i think i might be sick
#14 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 06:27 AM

as a british mum i am sicked that a company in my country are doing this. its disgusting.

Kiz
#15 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 04:37 PM

If the foreskins were from medically necessary circumcisions, the product wouldn't bother me.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#16 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 04:51 PM

Yeah....donated my rear.
#17 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess
If the foreskins were from medically necessary circumcisions, the product wouldn't bother me.
Truly medically necessary circumcisions are vanishingly rare, even in adults. And newborn medically necessary circumcisions are unheard of. You can't make the product from adult foreskins. So there is no way this product could continue to get the source materials it needs without continuing the ethically abhorrent practice of non-therapeutic, unnecessary newborn circumcision.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#18 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Ummm, what about the freakin' PENIS SCARS that every circumcised boy has?

Truly vile.
More evidence suggesting women matter more. They're regarded more important than men
#19 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemagicmummy View Post
as a british mum i am sicked that a company in my country are doing this. its disgusting.

Kiz
Its shocking to me too. I had hopes that your Country would help us out since its pro-intact. It certaintly wouldn't be getting foreskins from its own citizens.

Instead, this new commodity will reinforce this atrocity.

Why are American newborn boys treated like they're sub human?

My first thought was, "Is this some way they're trying to get back at Americans because we're truly hated THAT MUCH???"

I'm not upset with you, Onemagicmummy or other British parents who are against this practice. I don't know how your legal system works but isn't there a way for British citizens to boycott this new product? Perhaps make it illegal for stolen goods to enter your country?
#20 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
More evidence suggesting women matter more. They're regarded more important than men
Ok, circumcision is wrong, but there is just way too much evidence of our patriarchal society for that statement to be true.

for intuitive readings click here :
#21 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
Ok, circumcision is wrong, but there is just way too much evidence of our patriarchal society for that statement to be true.
Speaking from this particular case, the penis scar means nothing to society, except to the boy himself but it doesn't matter as much as the woman's scar.

Lets STEAL parts of a healthy sexual organ off the man and GIVE IT TO THE WOMEN!
#22 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 06:15 PM

Yuck. The ironic thing is that the article was all about the treatment, with no mention of using forskins as wrong or gross or, um, WRONG. And more irony, can you guys imagine what arms PETA would be up in if it was animal parts being used for this new treatment? Sensitive parts taken without the consent off of tender little baby animals often with no anesthetic? Unthinkable that it would be accepted. Just, yuck.
The last irony is that the UK isn't a routine infant circ country, right? So they are profitting from the US's backwoods ways.
#23 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Speaking from this particular case, the penis scar means nothing to society, exept to the boy himself but it doesn't matter as much as the woman's scar.

Lets STEAL parts of a healthy sexual organ off the man and GIVE IT TO THE WOMEN!
No, more like these women will believe anything, let's buy surgical discards and tell them it enhances the product.

Not to mention the whole women have no value if their looks aren't perfect thing.

And the hospital gets to profit from unnecessary surgery twice.

#24 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
No, more like these women will believe anything, let's buy surgical discards and tell them it enhances the product.

Not to mention the whole women have no value if their looks aren't perfect thing.

I see where you're coming from. But you have to admit, girls are protected from circumcision and boys are not. Thats the point I was trying to make.

To make matters worse, boys healthy body parts were not only stolen from them but are now bringing in profit, twice. Which is what you mean by:
Quote:
right?

As far as "these women will believe anything": "Those women" are brainwashed with the whole "mythical benifits from RIC" and are thinking, "Well, at least the foreskin is good for something." Its hard to believe British Citizens are thinking this way. Are they actually being told its from neonatal foreskin?
#25 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 06:32 PM

Sick! About all I can say with out violating the UA.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#26 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I see where you're coming from. But you have to admit, girls are protected from circumcision and boys are not. Thats the point I was trying to make.

To make matters worse, boys healthy body parts were not only stolen from them but are now bringing in profit, twice.
Yes, I understand where you're coming from, but on the whole, women in our country are more often treated as if they don't matter. Circumcision is the rare exception, but even it is then used to rip women off afterwards. Amazing, isn't it?

The whole thing is screwed up, but there is so much more to it than simply saying 'little boys don't matter,' yk?

#27 of 47 Old 11-19-2008, 07:22 PM

I am sure it was a case of someone at a US hospital looking to "recycle" "medical waste" connecting with a company looking to buy up "medical waste" and then this idea was born. We already knew this was being done though it does hurt to have an article state it so explicitly and to sort of try to give their product more credibility because it's brand new skin from an infant etc.

Frankly, I think it's good that they mention the foreskins are from the US as it means they are not trying to encourage RIC in the UK--the last thing we need is another country to start doing it again! But I mean, facts are facts, and we do still practice RIC here.

I am all for things like organ and tissue donation (that isn't from harming living people) and am even in favor of what they can do with human cells for repairing situations like this. People with scars like this do suffer.

HOWEVER, obviously foreskins from living babies, the practice of which is highly unethical to begin with, should not be involved in any way. But that's because RIC needs to stop. I can't see putting effort into worrying too much about these companies or calling more attention to them. Instead just continue to try to end RIC. In fact, I worry that some pro-circ parents would actually be glad to know that their baby's foreskin was donated and would feel more justified somehow.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#28 of 47 Old 11-20-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
More like money is more important than anything...

I used to think the money made from selling foreskins couldn't be that much of a motivaton for docs/hospitals, and that they were mostly perpetuating circ to cover their ***es, but seeing the price of this treatment makes me think otherwise.

ETA: If baby boys could pay to keep their foreskins, they might just have a chance.
#29 of 47 Old 11-20-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haselnuss View Post
More like money is more important than anything...

I used to think the money made from selling foreskins couldn't be that much of a motivaton for docs/hospitals, and that they were mostly perpetuating circ to cover their ***es, but seeing the price of this treatment makes me think otherwise.

ETA: If baby boys could pay to keep their foreskins, they might just have a chance.
You have an excellent point!
#30 of 47 Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
interesting.

if anything I have felt the opposite.

Quote:
Yes, I understand where you're coming from, but on the whole, women in our country are more often treated as if they don't matter. Circumcision is the rare exception, but even it is then used to rip women off afterwards. Amazing, isn't it?

The whole thing is screwed up, but there is so much more to it than simply saying 'little boys don't matter,' yk?
:

"Lets dupe women into cutting up their sons and buying the foreskins back! haha."

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page