Strange circumcision story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-27-2003, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine babysits a little boy. His mother told her that she didn't much want to circ but dad insisted so they did. Mom told my friend how much she cried at the little boy's screams. My friend says she had a big surprise when she changed baby's diaper and he is NOT circumcised. She doesn't know what to say to the mom, or whether she should say anything. Her dh is uncirced so she does know what she's looking at. What could be the explanation for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-27-2003, 03:31 AM

I don't know that is strange. Did she have her story backwards maybe?
#3 of 9 Old 11-27-2003, 03:48 AM

Does your friend know that one in five circumcised boys has a fully covered glans?

If she thinks that seeing the coronal ridge is proof of circumcision... she's wrong. I wish more parents know that this cosmetic sugery was not even going to give them the look they are so dead set on getting.

More boys are circumcised TWICE (the second one to make it look like the way they wanted that first one to appear) than intact boys will ever "need" to be circumcised for a first time. Tnhat isa shocking concept to any parent who is making the excuse that they should do it now and avoid "having" to do it later... the odds of a circumcised boy having genital surgery at a later date are higher than if he was left intact.

Here is an article published in the BJU: http://www.cirp.org/library/complications/vanhowe/

"Findings in the circumcised group under 3 years included: fully exposed glans (n=78, 35.6%), partially covered glans (n=67, 30.6%), adhesions (25.6%), completely covered glans (20.1%), entrapped desquamated epithelial debris (24.7%), reddened meatus (19.1%), balanitis (15.5%), and preputial stenosis (0.9%)."

Here are photos of some kids whose parents were worried about their circumcisions not looking like circumcisions.

http://www.rogerknapp.com/medical/circ_incomplete.htm

This is totally common.

Why was it that they did this after all? Don't bother to answer...

Please pass this info onto your friend and her husband... it will help if they understand that this is even more upsurd than it appears at first glance.

Happy Thanksgiving-
Love Sarah
#4 of 9 Old 11-27-2003, 08:34 AM

Sarah's right on this one. It's a combination of loose circumcisions to try to avoid painful erections in adult men and buried penis syndrome. It's clear from the evidence that circumcision causes far more problems than it ever prevents. I know quite a few mothers who have had recommendations for a second circumcision to resolve problems from the first.

Frank
#5 of 9 Old 11-27-2003, 10:42 AM

i have a friend with a son, they circed. but when i saw her change his diaper i thought he was intact because his foreskin ws still very much present and went past his glans. she commented that for all the anguish the circ caused her, there sure didn't look like anything had been done. the doctor assured her that her son "would look like everyone else" as he got older.
#6 of 9 Old 11-28-2003, 02:07 AM

This conversation is interesting in terms of some who argue that "it's not so bad" - if - they "only cut a bit". . .
#7 of 9 Old 11-28-2003, 12:42 PM

Referring to how the penis will look more "circumcised" once the baby fat is gone:

Quote:
It will look GOOD later with the child looses the baby fat around the pubic bone.
Well that's certainly an opinion

#8 of 9 Old 11-29-2003, 02:57 AM

looks pretty raw and weirdly naked to me, now that i have two intact babies. (this 'dr' who thinks it looks so 'good' circ'd can't spell, either.)

suse
#9 of 9 Old 11-30-2003, 07:28 PM

Would it really be wise to inform the mother that her son had such a loose circumcision that he looks practically intact?
She might decide to have him circumcised again.
And what good would that do? Cause him more pain, that's all. Maybe it would be best to leave well enough alone. The foreskin will separate in due time just like in an intact boy. No need to mess with it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page