Doctors put the sand under the foreskin myth to rest - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Remember all those myths about soldiers getting sand under their foreskins in desert environments and there needing to be mass circumcisions of soldiers? New Zealand doctors studied medical records from several wars, and found this to be untrue.
http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/118-1218/1564/
Check out the article from the New Zealand Medical Journal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 AM

Awesome find!
#3 of 12 Old 12-12-2008, 05:12 AM

That is such an interesting article. A good one to share with people to point out the ludicrous nature of circ. I love nothing more than to say 'urban myth' to people who spread such silly stories.

I am reminded of the woman who told me I had to circ or else laundry lint would get in there. GASP - should I have my belly button removed also!?
#4 of 12 Old 12-12-2008, 11:43 AM

Great article!
#5 of 12 Old 12-12-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I am reminded of the woman who told me I had to circ or else laundry lint would get in there. GASP - should I have my belly button removed also!?

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#6 of 12 Old 12-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandi View Post
Remember all those myths about soldiers getting sand under their foreskins in desert environments and there needing to be mass circumcisions of soldiers? New Zealand doctors studied medical records from several wars, and found this to be untrue.
http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/118-1218/1564/
Check out the article from the New Zealand Medical Journal.
Lol. What, do the soldiers crawl in the sand naked?

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#7 of 12 Old 12-12-2008, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yeah, don't soldiers wear underwear AND uniform pants when they're crawling around in the sand?

Now, I can imagine some activities that could result in sand under the foreskin, but I don't think I can elaborate without violating the UA. Nor do I think soldiers would be engaging in this kind of behavior during combat situations.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#8 of 12 Old 12-12-2008, 12:39 PM

people are really wacky. what do they think people did pre mass mutilation? those poor miserable men running around with sand in their foreskins. i think girls are far more at risk for sand in unfortunate places. lol. thank god they proved that false. especially since i just don't see grown men consenting to circ due to a little sand
#9 of 12 Old 12-12-2008, 01:11 PM

That is such a great article! Thanks for sharing, I'm putting a link to it in my email siggy! I loved this quote from the article by Robert Darby:

The only point of agreement among proponents of the numerous theories is that a practical objective such as health had nothing to do with it. This is not surprising: before aseptic surgery, any cutting of flesh carried a high risk of bleeding, infection and death.

So much for the 'it's cleaner' myth!

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#10 of 12 Old 12-12-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Yeah, don't soldiers wear underwear AND uniform pants when they're crawling around in the sand?

Now, I can imagine some activities that could result in sand under the foreskin, but I don't think I can elaborate without violating the UA. Nor do I think soldiers would be engaging in this kind of behavior during combat situations.
Like in 'From Here to Eternity.' But wasn't actually in combat during that part!
#11 of 12 Old 12-12-2008, 11:49 PM

The sand under the foreskin myth is an obvious invention of circumcised men to justify circumcising other men. It defies all logic and reason.

Supposedly, the mechanics of the myth is that sharp sand grains get under the foreskin and in the foreskin rubbing back and forth between the foreskin and glans, it abrades or cuts into the surface of the inner foreskin or glans causing abrasions or actual cuts which then become infected and thus requires circumcision.

The actual fact is that the inner foreskin does not move against the glans so there is no friction or abrasion possible. When retracting, the foreskin rolls inward to outward in a friction free movement. Heck, you could pack the foreskin full of sharp sand and this wouldn't happen. More over, the man could simply slightly pinch the tip of the foreskin retaining some urine inside the foreskin to flush any sand out as he urinated.

This makes one wonder why circumcised men want other men circumcised so badly that they will invent these myths and why others are so eager to accept them and perpetrate the myths.

Frank
#12 of 12 Old 12-12-2008, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Yes and I believe they also mentioned in the article that since it is considered myth it is not usually academically studied, resulting in people being able to spread the misinformation, without people having any solid data other than common sense with which to refute the stupid argument.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page