Cyst - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2009, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 18 month old uncircumcised boy has what appears to be a cyst under his foreskin along the shaft of his penis. It appears white, about a 1 cm long and is soft and movable. The pediatrician didn't have much to say about it and is not very knowledgeable regarding uncircumcised boys I'm finding. Is this serious? Will it go away on it's own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopsysek View Post
My 18 month old uncircumcised boy has what appears to be a cyst under his foreskin along the shaft of his penis. It appears white, about a 1 cm long and is soft and movable. The pediatrician didn't have much to say about it and is not very knowledgeable regarding uncircumcised boys I'm finding. Is this serious? Will it go away on it's own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
It sounds like it might be a smegma pearl. Sometimes it can collect and form a small lump under the foreskin. It's nothing to worry about and will work it's way out in time. Though could be some time so don't think days or even (possibly weeks). It will either break apart and move forward in smaller pieces or if his foreskin separates in front of it he might pass the whole thing at once.

Where are you that you don't have a Foreskin friendly ped?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My best guess would be a smegma pearl.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Old 01-08-2009, 01:44 AM

I agree with the pp's it is honestly nothing to worry about. It means that in that particular spot the foreskin is no longer attached to the glans and is allowing the skin cells to accumulate under there. It will eventually work its way out. Be aware that it might get bigger over time as well.

A helpful link http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help! After looking at a picture of a smegma pearl I would say that is definitely it. You guys are great.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for your help! After looking at a picture of a smegma pearl I would say that is definitely it. You guys are great.
Just leave it alone it will pass eventually. Smegma pearls are totally normal. You might want to also avoid the pedi if he/she is unfamiliar with the intact male. Read this article and keep it as a reference along with the link that matLvrMom2A&X posted:

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...uncircson.html
Old 01-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:

I don't know about the cyst (can it be just a smegma pearl?). But I wanted to ask why in the world would you or your doctor ever retract a 18mo to see the cyst??! Forcible retraction is a BIG no-no which can cause some serious long term damage.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

The foreskin was NOT retracted, you can see the smegma pearl through the foreskin just by looking at it. I do know better than that.

I appreciate the feedback regarding what it is and that it will pass on its own. I will certainly leave it alone. I'm not asking for advice on selecting a pediatrician at this time so please leave that subject alone.

Thank you.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
The foreskin was NOT retracted, you can see the smegma pearl through the foreskin just by looking at it. I do know better than that.

I appreciate the feedback regarding what it is and that it will pass on its own. I will certainly leave it alone. I'm not asking for advice on selecting a pediatrician at this time so please leave that subject alone.

Thank you.
I don't think anyone here meant that you need a new pedi. We just tend to caution parents about discussing foreskin issues with their pediatrician unless the pedi is particularly informed on the development of the intact boy.

If your pedi was unfamiliar with the smegma pearl, there is quite a bit of info that he/she could benefit from having. Maybe you could take the opportunity to educate your pedi so that he/she can provide better care to all the intact patients at the office. Many pedis welcome information that parents of intact boys provide. This is b/c parents of intact boys tend to know more on the subject. Unfortunately, they don't learn this stuff in med school.

Next time you see your pedi maybe you will want to make a few printouts for him/her.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:01 PM

My DS had the same thing around 2 1/2. Generally it's a good thing...shows separation is starting to occur. For my DS when it came out he did get a bit pink and puffy for a couple of days. That's what the swollen foreskin thread is good for...when separation happens that can be normal too!

This is definitely a good place to hang out.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For any lurkers out there who may not know this already: Ballooning while urinating (because of the inevitable process of separation) = totally normal! No need to take your son to a doctor because he balloons when he pees.

User Tag List