How can people not see the hypocricy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-12-2009, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
::::::::Begin Vent::::::::::::

I realize that there is the matter of degrees here...come on people:

I am watching a show about Lorena and John Bobbit. People who are commenting on the case are absolutely horrified and calling it mutilation. How can they think it's okay to cut off part of a babies penis and think it's fine and dandy...but cutting the whole thing off (which has been known to happen during a circumcision) is horrifying? Why can't they admit that all of it is mutilation and they are both against the victims will?

::::::::Vent Over::::::::

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#2 of 11 Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 PM

socially constructed normality is hard to overcome.

people are blind to the horror of circumcision the same way they are blind to the beauty of breastfeeding.

*sigh
#3 of 11 Old 01-12-2009, 08:23 PM

They consider the foreskin as expendable, and believe it makes no difference to sex, that men who are circumcised still enjoy sex while those who have their entire member removed cannot.

My view is that it does not matter how much of someone elses body is removed, removing part of someone elses body without medical justification IS WRONG. This is the same argument I have regarding FGM and MGM. The amount of tissue is not what really matters.
#4 of 11 Old 01-13-2009, 12:28 AM

The hypocrisy is unbelievable. The two people I know who rant the most about the evils of piercing little girl's ears and completely pro-circumcision.
#5 of 11 Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 AM

I can't believe it either. I get angry over the SAME exact issues.

I also can't understand the attitude of how it's ok to cut off foreskin for "cleanliness" but when I mention to these same people that we should then take off the clitoral hood, and maybe some of the labia minora for "cleanliness" they think I'm crazy.

It's barbaric to mutilate women, but not men apparently.

The lack of consistent reasoning drives me crazy.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#6 of 11 Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
I can't believe it either. I get angry over the SAME exact issues.

I also can't understand the attitude of how it's ok to cut off foreskin for "cleanliness" but when I mention to these same people that we should then take off the clitoral hood, and maybe some of the labia minora for "cleanliness" they think I'm crazy.

It's barbaric to mutilate women, but not men apparently.

The lack of consistent reasoning drives me crazy.
I am willing to bet removal of the same tissue on a woman would have the same alleged "benefits". Except that scientists aren't doing countless studies on that. They also don't do studies on removal of other body parts to see if said removal is beneficial. Because of course that would be a waste of resources better spent on finding cures for diseases like cancer eh?
#7 of 11 Old 01-13-2009, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good time to chime in and vent about the TLC garbage show "Bringing Home Baby". I don't know why I chose to watch it... I guess because I knew they had a newborn boy -- either SoCal or Florida -- and the dad did the first diaper change and said the urine is probably stinging from the circumcision. Cue the next scene where one, day one, the mother said she tried breast feeding once and decided to stop because it "hurt so much". Hypocritical callus idiots.
#8 of 11 Old 01-13-2009, 12:55 PM

my FIL actually said "the baby doesn't even remember having the circumcision done, so it doesn't matter"!?!?!?! i was speechless, gee why not put out cigarettes on the baby, they won't remember anyhow!?!?!?:
#9 of 11 Old 01-13-2009, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taramoon13 View Post
my FIL actually said "the baby doesn't even remember having the circumcision done, so it doesn't matter"!?!?!?! i was speechless, gee why not put out cigarettes on the baby, they won't remember anyhow!?!?!?:
That's rather inhumane of him to say. I'd say to him: "Good. Because when this baby starts crying, I just want to smack him/her hard."

Better yet, I'd say to him: "If you get alzheimer's and get abused at a nursing home, I'll be saying the same thing about you." *smile and walk away*
#10 of 11 Old 01-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Banned

it is terrible but a lot of people dont see it. I try not to let my mind be led blindly by society but it has happened many times. It's very freeing to have those blinders lifted and see things clearly. I think with time as more things are brought to the surface the reasoning will be irrefutable and people will stop with this practice.
#11 of 11 Old 01-13-2009, 02:17 PM

"If you get alzheimer's and get abused at a nursing home, I'll be saying the same thing about you."
it's funny you say that because they basically plan on being in a nursing home as they actually have nursing home insurance
good comeback, although i'm sure he wouldn't see the connection!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page