a cut on his penis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-13-2003, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I changed my son this morning (6 months) I noticed on the side of his penis, a cut. It is horizontal (meaning it looks like it would go around (if it were that big). Honestly it looks like one of the folds of his foreskin split--- like a spilt lip. I am guessing when getting changed he must have grabbed himself and his fingernail got it. I can't think of any other logical explanation. What should I do for it. It is red, but it doesn't seem to bother DS. I called the pedi and got the nurse she said to keep an eye on it keep it dry (right!) and put triple antibiotic ointment on it. Is this right? HELP! I dont' want it to get infected.

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#2 of 4 Old 12-13-2003, 03:16 PM

I think if you keep it clean, change his diapers frequently, make sure he doesn't sit in any poopy dipes, maybe let him go diaperless for a while to air out (sit him on a prefold), and use triple antibiotic ointment as a barrier, it will be fine and won't get infected. That's what I would do....plus cut all his fingernails really short!

Poor little fella.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 4 Old 12-13-2003, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

thanks!!!! I plan on cutting his nails... again! I wish mine grew as fast as his. I air him out plus I have him wear just a prefold (w/o a cover) too periodically through the day. thanks so much

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#4 of 4 Old 12-14-2003, 12:06 AM

It probably looks worse than it is. Kids heal quickly and the foreskin will heal under the right condition. Like the pp said, let him be without diapers whenever you can. Put nothing on it unless you see it getting infected, which it probably won't. Give him a bath whenever he defecates so that he is clean.

Absolutely do not fool with the foreskin. Don't pull back, don't retract. I assume you did not do any of that. Make sure no one else did or does.

Don't let the doctor pull it back when you go for a check up. I do hope it will heal on its own and you don't have to take him to the doctor, because who knows what they think needs to be done.?

Let us know in a day or two how it looks.

Here are a few links just in case:

Retraction-very good site

http://www.cirp.org/library/hygiene/

http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/

And this one you can print out and give to your pediatrician

http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/aap/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page