Penile Pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have had two nights (one last week and one this week) where DS2 has woke up screaming in pain. He will sit there dancing around and around and then all of a sudden run to the potty (or just pull down his pants) and pee.

He indicates that his penis hurts. Tonight, even after he peed he was still indicating pain.

DH noticed it was a bit red when we just threw him in a bath to clean up from the pee accident,

He has never complained of it prior to this. We have noticed him grabbing/holding himself there a couple of times the past week or so.
#2 of 6 Old 02-12-2009, 12:45 AM

Sounds like it could be a UTI (urinary tract infection).
#3 of 6 Old 02-12-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
We have had two nights (one last week and one this week) where DS2 has woke up screaming in pain. He will sit there dancing around and around and then all of a sudden run to the potty (or just pull down his pants) and pee.

He indicates that his penis hurts. Tonight, even after he peed he was still indicating pain.

DH noticed it was a bit red when we just threw him in a bath to clean up from the pee accident,

He has never complained of it prior to this. We have noticed him grabbing/holding himself there a couple of times the past week or so.
We don't have quite enough information. How old is your son? Is he retractable yet? Is he running a fever? This could be separation. At a certain age which can vary from infant to 5 or so some [but by no means all] boys will have soreness and discomfort when the foreskin begins to separate from the glans.This should last more than 2 or 3 days or so. You said you're on day two so give it perhaps one more and depending on whether it is getting better or not we can take the next step. If your son is having trouble urinating, or running a fever, or it gets significantly worse it could be something else (perhaps UTI). At that point he should see a pedi and have a culture done for UTI and other infections. Though I am betting separation. Indecently, I am bumping up a separation thread for you to read which will fill you in on the details.
#4 of 6 Old 02-12-2009, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. He is three years old, almost 4.

This has happened twice, once last week and then this evening/morning.

He is not complaining of pain on urination.

I think I answered your questions...
#5 of 6 Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 AM

Very possible that he is waking with an erection and needs to pee but because of the erection he cant. Then when it subsides a bit he is able to go. At your ds's age he could be not really in pain but odd feeling and he dosnt know how to express that. So uses the words for pain to express it.

Since the 2 episodes of pain has occurred so far apart I wouldnt think it would be a UTI. It could also be a bit of speration pain for more information on that go here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732

Remember the tip of the foreskin should be reddish in color depending on the color of your ds's skin. If you do take him to the Dr. do NOT let anyone mess with his foreskin by pushing back on it. This includes everyone not just health care workers. Pushing back on it can cause major problems including damage and infections.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 6 Old 02-12-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
Thanks. He is three years old, almost 4.

This has happened twice, once last week and then this evening/morning.

He is not complaining of pain on urination.

I think I answered your questions...
OK, so that is a little better. I agree with Mcat, since it occurred so far apart I don't think this is any type of infection (like a UTI). I am thinking that your son is going through a stage where the foreskin is separating from the glans which can leave a raw surface on the two where they broke apart. This can make them sore. This is a transient problem [the soreness] which can come and go as different parts break away. It can be compared to teething perhaps but for most boys it goes unnoticed.

I would continue to keep an eye on the situation but wouldn't be too concerned unless he develops a fever, has problems urinating, or it gets significantly worse. UTIs in boys his age are very rare but some of the symptoms might include:

* Pain or stinging when you pass urine.
* An urge to pass urine a lot, but not much comes out when you go.
* Pressure in your lower belly.
* Urine that smells bad or looks milky, cloudy, or reddish in color.
* If you see blood in your urine, tell a doctor right away.
* Feeling tired or shaky or having a fever.

If you do feel the need to take him to the pedi a urinalysis to check for a UTI but also a culture of the foreskin will check for a problem there. Remember it can be bacterial or yeast check for both.

Hopefully, some others will chime in with more opinion but in the mean time I hope that helps. Keep us posted, I hope he does better.

ETA: Don't forget to check out this thread.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page