If this is not a human rights violation, I don't know what is.(pictures)*GRAPHIC* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 03-06-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found this image online, its an image of a young boy being circumcised with a combination of old surgical instruments, and working tools. The worst part is the image is from a stock photo news site, with no mention of the picture in a negative way.

If this is not a human rights violation, I don't know what is:
http://www.daylife.com/photo/06Xc2Sh1Dlgds

Then there is this one from the same site with a boy is crying as adults remove his clothing before he is forcibly circumcised. Again, no negative comments about the image in the description.

http://www.daylife.com/photo/01BW6DF1Ly6GL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 65 Old 03-06-2009, 09:03 PM

#3 of 65 Old 03-06-2009, 10:10 PM

Absolutely disgusting.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#4 of 65 Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 PM

Good God. Is there nothing some people won't justify?!
#5 of 65 Old 03-06-2009, 10:30 PM
2xy

I used to work for an Iranian doctor who remembers his own circumcision. (He's an OB, BTW....and he doesn't circ babies).

He said that in his culture, they normally waited until the boys were 6 or 7. The procedure was "easier" that way, since most boys are retracted by then. He said the local barber did the circs, and used a straight razor. Then the boy's penis was wrapped in a towel and he was told to "go play."

#6 of 65 Old 03-06-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMama View Post
Good God. Is there nothing some people won't justify?!

No doubt. It's heartbreaking, the maternal feelings (mama bear) those pictures invoke is unreal.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#7 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 01:19 AM

Please put a BIG warning on this post...something like "***WARNING, EXTREMELY DISTURBING***". Thank you.

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#8 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvybabygrace View Post
Please put a BIG warning on this post...something like "***WARNING, EXTREMELY DISTURBING***". Thank you.
I thought I covered that when I gave a detailed description of the pictures and that it was a "human rights violation". Is that not enough of a warning? Should I add more?
#9 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 02:14 AM

I am absolutely positively disgusted by circumcision and anyone who performs it or condones it. Horrible and unforgivable.
Bless the sweet dear children who must endure this torture and torment.

SAHM to Ivan 6/10/05 who says  signcirc1.gifand Matilda 1/31/08 who says saynovax.gif:::

#10 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 02:37 AM

I gasped out loud so hard my cat came running to comfort me.

Kaitlyn, partner to my sweetheart , expecting our first June '15

#11 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 03:34 AM

So sick and sad and heartbreaking...unbelievable.
#12 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 04:05 AM

Omg omg omg...

omg.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#13 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspective View Post
I thought I covered that when I gave a detailed description of the pictures and that it was a "human rights violation". Is that not enough of a warning? Should I add more?
Yes, really, you should make it very, very clear above the link something like WARNING: EXTREMELY GRAPHIC

From the description I somehow took
Quote:
image of a young boy being circumcised with a combination of old surgical instruments, and working tools
as: image of a young boy about to be circumcised with a combination of old surgical instruments, and working tools

Horrible and shameful that these photos don't elicit the response they should throughout the world.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#14 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 12:37 PM
zak

Oh I think I might pass out.

How on EARTH could someone participate in this?!?!

... going to snuggle my guys right now...

-zak- Mama to three fantastic sons - 2005, 2007 & 2010 and expecting a daughter February 2012!

#15 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 01:30 PM
2xy

Honestly....it's a forum about circumcision. I would assume that any links provided that contain pictures would be graphic and/or possibly disturbing.
#16 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 01:36 PM

Oh no. I'm not even going to look.
#17 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 02:05 PM

The fact that she said she posted links to pictures of a circumcision pretty much covers it. We all know circumcision is disturbing. She was very clear, not sure what you all expected when you clicked on those links?
#18 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 02:13 PM

Oh god, I couldn't even look. My heart breaks for the poor little boy(s) who go through this... And we wonder why men have so many emotional issues.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#19 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 02:18 PM

So by waiting until they were older and it was retracted...does this affect the pain level?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#20 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 02:19 PM

poor babies...

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#21 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinijocaro View Post
The fact that she said she posted links to pictures of a circumcision pretty much covers it. We all know circumcision is disturbing. She was very clear, not sure what you all expected when you clicked on those links?
Thank you. Although I will correct you on one point. I am a guy, not a girl. (A younger circumcised guy if your interesting in details)

ursusarctos- I think of it the other way around. Instead of circumcision being the cause of emotional issues for men, I think circumcision is just another sign of the detached way males are often treated in society. (Like, his body parts have less value and damage to his body is "manly")
#22 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
ursusarctos- I think of it the other way around. Instead of circumcision being the cause of emotional issues for men, I think circumcision is just another sign of the detached way males are often treated in society. (Like, his body parts have less value and damage to his body is "manly")
Well, it's a cycle isn't it - circumcision sends that message across loud and clear to the subconscious, I imagine.

That poor child...
#23 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:

You are absolutely right. I actually meant it as just one of the things that socialize males to numb themselves to everything but aggression and anger - "manliness". This kind of thing is a symptom of underlying, complex, deep-set cultural attitudes/assumptions, a symptom that at the same time helps to perpetuate those attitudes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haselnuss View Post
Well, it's a cycle isn't it - circumcision sends that message across loud and clear to the subconscious, I imagine.

That poor child...
Yes.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#24 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 09:53 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
So by waiting until they were older and it was retracted...does this affect the pain level?
Well, I think it would. It would be just one cut around to remove the skin. Since the foreskin is already separated, you wouldn't have to peel it from the glans first, so the glans wouldn't be harmed during the actual procedure like it is in an infant.

Either way, it's still awful. But I do think that waiting until retraction is complete is *slightly* more humane.
#25 of 65 Old 03-07-2009, 11:40 PM

it just shows even when a child no matter what age is can say no but no one listens here they are taking away the right of their ways of speech and wants because it's humilating to them to be 'stripped and hurt like that when they are more aware of their body it's like why can't those people see that as human rights being destroyed because the kids can say No, they don't want it but forced to get it - Double wrong !
#26 of 65 Old 03-08-2009, 12:38 AM

I added Graphic Disclaimer to the OP due to member request. This is not limited to The CAC forum; we ask that all members add graphic disclaimers to potentially upsetting content/links.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#27 of 65 Old 03-08-2009, 12:40 AM

How about this one

FGM photo wins photographer an award

http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/content...5bf4354a?imw=Y

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#28 of 65 Old 03-08-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandenith View Post
How about this one

FGM photo wins photographer an award

http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/content...5bf4354a?imw=Y
:Puke:Puke These pictures are appaling seriously I just want to take these all babies with me and protect them
#29 of 65 Old 03-09-2009, 01:44 AM

I haven't posted on this forum in a long time. I found my way back and came across this thread. I wish more people could see these images and perhaps know/understand/oppose these mutilations (both FGM AND our country's male-circs).

I googled that photographer's name to see the article, and it is so heart wrenching. It is so sad how they decieve the little girls...
This is hard to view the pics and made me cry, but awareness needs to be risen about this practice.
The link to the whole photo-essay is at the bottom of this blog...
http://thetravelphotographer.blogspo...kurdistan.html

So so so sad...

Kindra
not sure if my siggy will still show up! lol
#30 of 65 Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 PM

Hi, everyone. I have removed posts that were personally directed. Please remember that the User Agreement requires that we:

Quote:
Do not start a thread to discuss member behavior or statements of members made in other threads or to criticize another discussion on the boards. Do not post to a thread to take direct issue with a member. If you feel a member has posted or behaved inappropriately in a discussion, communicate directly with the member, moderator or administrator privately and refrain from potentially defaming discussion in a thread. Please see the MDC User Agreement.
While this is the Case Against Circumcision forum and one can assume that links would be inherently graphic and disturbing, it's helpful to post a "graphic" warning so that members can better make the determination if the links are work-friendly and/or children nearby-friendly. Thanks so much for everyone's cooperation and understanding. Please PM me with any further questions.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page