statistics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-02-2004, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On another thread Frank mentioned that in 2004 it is likely that for the first time since the 1940's there will be more intact than circumcised babies in America. (Or is that intact and circumcised in the whole population?)

Anyway, any sources for this? I know of a webpage at the CDC that shows statistics up to 1999, would love to see something more recent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-02-2004, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/bollinger2001/

The rate for 2001 was 55.1% and the rate for 1999 was 58.7%. Extrapolating the results for 2004 gives a circumcision rate of 49.6% assuming the same decline rate. In actuality, the rate bounces up and down each year so the first year that the majority of infant males remain intact could reasonably be anywhere from 2003 to 2006.

That is the rate for the United States. The 1999 rate for Canada was 17% and I suppose it is around 15% now. All other English speaking countries have rates less than 5% as well as I can remember. The world wide rate is about 15% including the US, and Muslim and Jewish ritual circumcisions as well as a couple of countries (ex. Korea) on the pacific rim. The vast, vast majority of circumcised men outside the US are Muslim.

Frank

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page