Post here if you're from the Midwest (or other high circ area) and have an intact son! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 142 Old 04-09-2009, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in the military. We move around from high-circ areas (in fact, our home is a high-circ area) to low-circ areas (we live in one now). However, probably over 90% of baby boys born to military families are circed. It is a very "conservative" organization, as you know, and people are less likely to question what they have been told. As far as I know, my son is the only intact boy of the kids in my unit. But, I'm not sure on that.

What is funny (in a sad way, not ha-ha funny) is that the doctor that does the circumcisions at the hospital here does not like doing them, will counsel the parents that they are unnecessary, of the risks, and yet, the majority of the parents insist that it be done. And because it is a military hospital, he can't just refuse to do it and tell the parents to take their child elsewhere. Some doctors at a military hospital tried that some years ago and the parents filed complaints. On a good note, if he does not get "enthusiastic" agreement (parents both want it, not one parent getting bullied) from both parents, he defaults to not doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 142 Old 04-11-2009, 01:07 AM

I have an intact son, we live in MN. DS is the only boy I know IRL who isn't circed.

After he was born, the nurses in the hospital were suprised that he wouldn't be cut. Not in a horrified way, but sort of amazed that I wouldn't just automatically do it.

This is one parenting choice that I am never, ever going to regret.

Jackie, Catholic mama to Elijah (6/07) & Gabriel (2/10) and our angel baby, m/c 7/29/12. Expecting someone new in October 2014!
#63 of 142 Old 04-11-2009, 01:10 AM

I'm in MN too and am proud to have an intact son. Everyone else we know just does it without thought it seems
#64 of 142 Old 04-11-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiPuck View Post
After he was born, the nurses in the hospital were suprised that he wouldn't be cut. Not in a horrified way, but sort of amazed that I wouldn't just automatically do it.
That's how it was for us here in Kansas. We were asked a dozen times and each time answered with a very firm no. After the second time we told them to put it in his chart, but each of our nurses and each pediatrician that saw him still asked. It wasn't as though they wanted to talk us into it...it was more like, they thought we didn't understand what they meant. Towards the end instead of, "Are you planning on having him circumcised?" we started to get "Are you SURE you don't want him to be circumcised?" I think it was clear that we were well-educated, intelligent parents that were sure about our decision...they just couldn't believe that that was the decision we had made.
#65 of 142 Old 04-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplestraws View Post
That's how it was for us here in Kansas. We were asked a dozen times and each time answered with a very firm no. After the second time we told them to put it in his chart, but each of our nurses and each pediatrician that saw him still asked. It wasn't as though they wanted to talk us into it...it was more like, they thought we didn't understand what they meant. Towards the end instead of, "Are you planning on having him circumcised?" we started to get "Are you SURE you don't want him to be circumcised?" I think it was clear that we were well-educated, intelligent parents that were sure about our decision...they just couldn't believe that that was the decision we had made.
This post makes me wonder: just *what* are our Midwest doctors and nurses learning in medical and nursing schools that makes them think that circumcision is so wonderful??!? Is the pro-circ. propaganda in medical/nursing schools pervasive all over the US, or just in the Midwest?
#66 of 142 Old 04-11-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorenavant View Post
I'm in SE Michigan and am due to give birth to a son in August. I'm happy to say that this forum really helped me make the case to my DH about not circing our baby, and giving me plenty of information to counter arguments I've (already!) gotten into about it with people.
I find it shocking that "are you having him circumcised?" is one of the first questions I get when I tell people we're having a boy. Why is everyone so interested in his penis??
That reminds me...
We had a hb for #3 and I actually got asked on a few occations, "So how do you go about the circ with a HB?" Um...we don't
Comm'on....for all the things people think up to "worry" about with a hb...

What makes me so happy though is that with all us wives of circ hubbies that are moms to intact boys who had to do research to "prove" how unneeded it all is...when our sons and daughters have sons it will be so much more of a "NON ISSUE" for them and really that's the whole point of the intactavism cause

I'm glad to see that there actually are "midwest moms" who know of many other 'intact' families around them :
I can feel the tables turning
#67 of 142 Old 04-11-2009, 12:50 PM

Another Kansan with an intact son! We live in the KC Metro area and ds was born in Missouri, but we were only asked once when we filled out forms at the hospital.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#68 of 142 Old 04-12-2009, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

I think that most homebirthers probably leave their sons intact--because I talked to my MW about circ and she said, "Oh most boys aren't circumcised anymore."

I assume that she feels that way because she sees homebirthers, because the state's overall rate is high.
#69 of 142 Old 04-12-2009, 11:36 AM

We're in northern Michigan and DS is intact. So are all of his friends - as far as I've seen, at least.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#70 of 142 Old 04-12-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
We're in northern Michigan and DS is intact. So are all of his friends - as far as I've seen, at least.
Wow! that's great. :
#71 of 142 Old 04-12-2009, 09:31 PM

Very pro-circ here, I am the only person who didn't circ their son, that I know of. I feel so blessed to have met my DH who was anti-circ before even meeting me. It would have been an argument otherwise.

mama to 35 m/o Oscar and Matilda + 3 Harper, Quinn, & Averill
and a hopeful
#72 of 142 Old 04-12-2009, 09:39 PM

Intact in Tulsa. The hospital where I delivered my first two sons don't offer circ's. We would have to have had it done elsewhere. :
#73 of 142 Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We live in MO and most of the boys that I know are intact but then again I run with a pretty crunchy crowd. Medicaid also doesn't cover circ here so I'm sure that may be a factor for a lot of people.

ETA both my 10 year old andDS1 was born in OR (another state that does not cover it) but that was not the reason why we chose not to, we weren't planning on it anyway.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#74 of 142 Old 04-13-2009, 03:33 PM

Northern Indiana. 2 intact boys. The rest of my family disagrees with my choice, but I ignore them.

Live and love with your whole being.
#75 of 142 Old 04-13-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
We live in MO and most of the boys that I know are intact but then again I run with a pretty crunchy crowd. Medicaid also doesn't cover circ here so I'm sure that may be a factor for a lot of people.
I wish that were true, but AFAIK, it's not--at least not in the St.Louis area. This fall when I was signing up for pregnancy medicaid one of the "selling points" on two of their three plans was covered routine circumcision.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#76 of 142 Old 04-13-2009, 04:17 PM

North Dakota here, with a 6 month old who is intact. I also work at one of the largest hospitals in the state, on the Birth floor. The numbers are still high here but definitely going down. None of the doctors I work with actually recommend it. A handful counsel pts against it. A lot of the nurses hate it too.

Also, the social circle i tend to be around also mostly doesn't circ, I think there are 2 that are circed and the moms regret it.

My sister lives in Detroit Michigan, her husband is a Dr, and her son is intact.

Another friend of mine lives in Michigan, and she actually just wrote an online article against circumcision.

Hopefully the midwest will soon catch up with the rest of country, and really start to rapidly decline (or of course, eliminated all together
#77 of 142 Old 04-13-2009, 04:20 PM

In SW MI with an intact DS
#78 of 142 Old 04-13-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiPuck View Post
I have an intact son, we live in MN. DS is the only boy I know IRL who isn't circed.

This is one parenting choice that I am never, ever going to regret.
[off-topic]
Ooh, south MN, where are you?! I'm right by Albert Lea, there's not many of us on MDC that I know of [/off-topic]

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#79 of 142 Old 04-13-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanelleB View Post
I wish that were true, but AFAIK, it's not--at least not in the St.Louis area. This fall when I was signing up for pregnancy medicaid one of the "selling points" on two of their three plans was covered routine circumcision.
Well that is what several people that I have been told about MO medicaid. I was told by my Dr personally that it is *not* covered and it would cost me $650 to have it done. Missouri dropped funding in 2002. Not sure if St. Lewis has their own special non state funded health insurance.

Quote:
The 16 states without Medicaid coverage for male circumcision are California, Oregon, North Dakota, Mississippi, Nevada, Washington, Missouri, Arizona, North Carolina, Montana, Utah, Florida, Maine, Louisiana, Idaho and Minnesota.
http://www.physorg.com/news152364043.html

ETA I was reading the medicaid website and they will not cover circ without prior approval, so I imagine it's based on medical necessity.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#80 of 142 Old 04-14-2009, 12:28 AM

Yet another Central Illinois mama here. I knew of a few other intact boys in DS2's preschool class, but my kids are older now and I don't really have the opportunity to "chat" about intactivism that much anymore.

I think the tide is turning. It seems that I remember reading a couple years back that the rate of circumcisions in IL (don't remember if it was just Central IL or the whole state) is going down steadily. Not fast enough, but it is going down :

Justine, wife to DH :cop:, mom to DS(14) :, DD(13) and DS(8)
#81 of 142 Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM

Another Central IL mom here with a beautiful intact boy! My OB was pretty okay with it, although he did make some jokes about us rooming in to prevent someone from grabbing the baby and circ'ing him. It was said in jest, though. My ped is completely supportive as well.

K + J = DS Evan 1/26/09 and happily welcoming DS Colin, our 9lb 5oz vbac.gif New Year's Day baby, 1/1/11!
#82 of 142 Old 04-14-2009, 08:04 PM

Iowa here, my ds 2 1/2 is intact as are my 3 brothers. My cousins son is intact as well. I hope it becomes common place not to circ. I also dont thinks medicade should cover it, that is the only ''cosmetic'' thing they cover.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#83 of 142 Old 04-14-2009, 08:37 PM

My son is intact, his cousin isn't though . I haven't really met anyone else in my community with an intact boy. My family asked if we were going to get him circ'd, I just said 'no' and that was that.

wife to DH 6/25/05, mama to DS 5/26/08 & DS2 9/1/10
#84 of 142 Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 PM

Grew up in Iowa with circed brothers. DH also from IA is circed and has 5 circed brothers. Now living in Wyoming (Also a high circ area) and decided we would not be circing our son. When DS was born (HB) MIL and BIL both asked over the phone when we were were going to take DS to hospital to have him circed? DH took both of those calls thankfully. He told his mom we were not circing and left it at that but actually advocated the non-circ position to his brother. I was so very proud!:
#85 of 142 Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 PM

DP was born in Chicago in 1979 and he's intact :

#86 of 142 Old 04-15-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
Well that is what several people that I have been told about MO medicaid. I was told by my Dr personally that it is *not* covered and it would cost me $650 to have it done. Missouri dropped funding in 2002. Not sure if St. Lewis has their own special non state funded health insurance.

http://www.physorg.com/news152364043.html

ETA I was reading the medicaid website and they will not cover circ without prior approval, so I imagine it's based on medical necessity.
Well, I can't find the paperwork, and a quick Google search just confirms what you're saying. Hopefully I was just given out of date information.

ETA: I found the paperwork and two health care plans (one of which has since changed companies) list "non-medically necessary" circumcisions in the first 6 weeks of life as "additional services provided". : Unfortunately it's not out of date, it was printed 5-14-08.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#87 of 142 Old 04-15-2009, 05:55 PM

Good Day MDC'ers!!! I too am "coming out" as a mom of an intact little boy. We live in Marshall, IL. it's so refreshing to see 5 pages of us

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#88 of 142 Old 04-23-2009, 03:33 AM

well I thought that 50/50 was circ/intact in my family... it turns out that ONLY my dad was circumcised, his nephews are all intact :: so my guess is that their sons are too. They all seem fine to me

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#89 of 142 Old 04-23-2009, 12:11 PM

I am in Minnesota and I have an intact twin!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#90 of 142 Old 04-23-2009, 04:08 PM

I'm in the southeast (Atlanta, GA) and I have 3 intact sons. I have managed to save my neighbor's son from circumcision just days before he was born. They were going to do it because they just didn't know any better. I gave them all the info and talked to them about having intact sons and they changed their minds. Most boys here are still circ'ed but the incidence is decreasing. I know several moms now who chose to leave their sons intact. I'm gathering info now for the mom I'm acting as doula for.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page