So this is what they teach in med school........ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2004, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.hawaii.edu/medicine/pedia...xt/s13c08.html

"The parents are do not want their child to be circumcised. This is not a problem until he is 12 years old, in 7th grade. Since the majority of his male friends are circumcised, he desires circumcision."

Sigh. I don't get it. Why don't they see the problem isn't that he wasn't circed, but that he wasn't taught to love himself and to be proud of who he is instead of trying to be like everyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2004, 02:08 AM

Ugh... I don't think I am all that fond of that Robert Carlisle guy... I went to the index and saw what he would do to an intersexual child and their family...

calls them a "social emergency"

totally rejects the platform of the ISNA...

http://www.hawaii.edu/medicine/pedia...xt/s13c11.html

love Sarah
Old 01-03-2004, 11:56 PM

I'm surprised that people who actually thought this decision through and chose to not get their son circ'd would let him decide at 12 to make the decision. I consider my son's body his, but its' mine to protect until he is 18!

Kay

Old 01-04-2004, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was also appauld that the general messege of the first paragraph was:
1) your son will be misreable later if you make this descission
2) do now because it is cheaper while they are newborns.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 01-04-2004, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe this part:

Quote:
However, the parents are distraught when they learn their medical insurance will not pay the $3,000 bill for this "cosmetic" procedure
Will make someone *think*. If insurance just wouldn't pay for circ'ing (unless there is an honest to god, tried everything else NEED for it, which would be darn rare) then it wouldn't happen as often and as thoughlessly.

I do agree I wouldn't let my 12 year old make a desicion to be circ'ed! And I wonder how in the world a 12 year old can be embarassed by that! I mean do 12 year old boys frequently show their penises off to each other? : They wouldn't even be old enough to have to have gym clothes yet!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
Old 01-04-2004, 12:21 PM

Was that a real case example or just a story to convey the author's bias?

I can't imagine a 12 year old ASKING to have the end of his penis cut off. If it was a true story, I'd be seriously concerned about this child's self image.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Banned

If I had to answer the question (at the bottom of the link) about what does circ cure, I would list masterbation, bedwetting, syphillis, and epilepsy--because that is what it used to "cure."

Funny how the "cures" change based on our current societal fears.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joan
I can't imagine a 12 year old ASKING to have the end of his penis cut off.
My BIL was one of 7 boys in the family, and the only one left intact. Brothers older and younger than he were circumcised. In talking to him about it, he did admit that about age 10-12 was when he was most conscious of the fact that he was different, both from his peers and brothers. He did desire circumcision, in order to be like "everyone else," but also feared the procedure. So, partly because nobody offered it to him, and partly because he was afraid, he is still intact. But he said that self-consciousness was short-lived, and no longer an issue once he and his peers reached about 12-14 years old. It was then that they became acutely aware that looking at another guy's penis was an extreme social taboo. So, after that, he said it wasn't a big deal.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:10 PM

My husband is one of three boys. The eldest brother was the only one intact and hubby never even knew until he was 20 yrs old. He told us one day when when we were discussing circumcision. We both laughed at him because we thought he was joking. We thought everyone was unless they were weird. Of course we don't think that now. He said that he never thought to look and that the only reason he knows the younger brother is because they used to have pee wars in the tub when they were younger. :LOL
Old 01-10-2004, 12:22 AM

oh goody for me

i see i have plenty to look forward to with two boys, lol

:LOL
Old 01-11-2004, 04:18 PM

I have to say, I had a BF in college who was uncirc.ed and was very embarrassed and wanted to have it done (but didn't have the money). It was girl's reactions that had him so embarrased.

For a long time his feelings affected how I felt about circ. (I don't know if he ever did have it done), then luckily- I had a great friend in college who was uncirc.ed and an advocate (so to speak), and he influenced me more- now I figure- I truly hope that my son to be born in 12 days- yee ha! will be happy and confident with his body- but the simple fact is- he will have a choice when he gets older (just like BF did), whereas, my first son never got a say and never will . I'd rather err on the side of leaving him to make his choice, and I hope both my boys becomes intactivists

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Old 01-12-2004, 01:49 PM

That speaks to me about how important it is to educate our children about the issue -- girls and boys both!

User Tag List