Have you ever had to fight the medical staff to keep your son intact? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-03-2004, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If the answer to the thread question is yes,how did you handle it?
#2 of 7 Old 01-03-2004, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, I had posted a thread about it when it happened: http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...threadid=89939

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#3 of 7 Old 01-04-2004, 05:35 AM

Yes, I've had to argue with medical staff to try to keep my son intact and lost cuz dh totally insisted he be circumcised.

After a cesarean and two week infection/hospital sentence, I gave up in the meantime.

<guilt>
#4 of 7 Old 01-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Banned

Well, I'm not sure if this counts as a "fight" or not, but we had to tell our ped three times that we were NOT circ'ing my son! (When he visited us in the hospital when ds was a newborn.)

And he didn't ask it like, "Will you be circ'ing?" He asked it like, "When can we schedule the circ?"

Our son is intact, and that doc is no longer our ped! (I finally learned my lesson when ds was 2 mo. and that doc told me to stop bf'ing as much.)

Just wondering why you're asking the question--do you currently have a fight on your hands?
#5 of 7 Old 01-06-2004, 06:06 PM

Yep, we go through it more often than I'd like to admit, actually. DH is in the Navy so we switch docs every couple of years. DS has a history of UTI's (I've posted here about this before). Everytime he gets a UTI we go through the same hoopla again & again with the ped's trying to convince us to circ. This last time (with a doc we'd only seen once before) I finally had to get a bit snotty when she almost insisted we see a urologist to "discuss our options" with regards to the circ. If he ever gets a UTI again, I've decided, there's going to be no discussion about a circ. Frankly, I'm tired of discussing it with DS's "medical professionals": I've made the decision to not circumcise my son for the LAST TIME.

If you have other questions about our particular circumstances feel free to PM me.
Brook
#6 of 7 Old 01-06-2004, 07:13 PM

I sort of had to deal with it. Not in the hospital- there, the nurses asked if we were going to do it, I told them we were undecided, the next day, they asked again, I told them no- that was the last I heard.

Our ped is overly cautious (she recommended an ultrasound to check dds kidneys b/c she had 2 uti's by 18 mos and I took her in at 2 to see if she had another- turned out she didnt; she also referred us to a neurosurgeon b/c ds had his soft spot close early, at 4-6 mos- it was the early end of normal, but also could have been an issue, things like that).

She said ds had slight hypospadius and 'megameatus' that might need to be corrected by circ. We met with the urologist- he checked things out and asked if I wanted to circ- I said no, he said we didn't need to. If it became a problem later, we could discuss it then. I asked him on a scale of 1-10 how bad the 'problem' was and he said about a 1.

I then asked the ped how many intact males she treated and she said she came from Tucson, AZ, which has a high percentage of intact (she said that, I have no idea if it's true) so she's very familiar with intact males. So far, I trust her medical opinions, and anything that doesn't seem right to me, I check out. I've got no problem changing if something comes up, but so far, she's the best I've tried in 3 1/2 years of being a parent.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#7 of 7 Old 01-07-2004, 01:07 AM

Sort of~~~~~~

First time: A nurse came in to take my son. He was in the plastic box thing because I was potting. She was almost out the door and I question from the damn toilet were she was taking him. She goes to get circ’ed. I told her we were not circ’ing. She was completely dumb struck. “Oh, are you sure?” I don’t know what my facial expression was but she pushed him back to were he was with out a response. (LMAO).

Second time: ER visit because an allergic reaction. He was oozing from every orifice and the stupid ER said he would have to circ’ so he could pee. I told him would he have to cut his eyelids off so he could see also? Then ordered him to get me another doctor and informed him if he ignorantly came near my son again I would sue.

Third time: My ob/gyn was Jewish. He also acted as a Mohal (SP) from time to time. He never questioned the no circ’ in our birth plans. I later found out he was not a fan of hospital circ’s because of how they interfered with Jewish beliefs and practices (which is half a yeh!). But the stupid check in nurse UGH!!!! She asked me several times are we sure it was a boy and sure of this. I finally looked at her and told her either way I did not want this baby circ’ed. The baby turned out to be a girl, LOL!!!!! But that lady’s face was completely dumb founded when I said either way this baby would not be circ’ed. This doctor retired. He replacement and new partners use my birth plan (named blacked out) for an example of a good easy to read birth plan (LOL) so every time they pass it out there is a little statement *no circumcision.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page