Need urgent help for a friend... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-03-2004, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Her son is a little over 2 and uncirc'ed and she wants to keep him that way, she is worried the doctor will just suggest circumcision...

"B's foreskin is terribly inflamed and swollen. It doesn't move at all (normally it moves freely) and it clearly hurts him when I examine it. He's been running naked all morning and hasn't had a pee either and I'm afraid he can't.

I've put him in a baking soda bath, what else can I do?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-04-2004, 07:23 AM

See here, this boy had a very inflamed and painful to the touch foreskin:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...ight=balanitis

Hope he is better soon. If she takes him to the doc, tell her to GUARD HIS PENIS LIKE A HAWK because there are some very cut-happy doctors out there But she probably knows that already, sigh....
#3 of 5 Old 01-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Banned

The standard in medical care should be antibiotics, not amputation.

From the Fleiss article:

"If the doc says: Your son's foreskin is red, inflamed, itching, and uncomfortable. It has an infection and needs to be cut off."

Sometimes the tip of the foreskin does become reddened. During the diaper-wearing years, this is usually ammoniacal dermatitis, commonly known as diaper rash. When normal skin bacteria and feces react with urine, they produce ammonia, which burns the skin and causes inflammation and discomfort. If the foreskin were amputated, the inflammation would be on the glans itself and could enter the urethra. When the foreskin becomes reddened, it is doing its job of protecting the glans and urinary meatus.

Circumcision will have no effect on diaper rash. Change your baby's diapers more frequently and use a barrier cream until the rash clears. Harsh bath soaps can also cause inflammation of the foreskin. Use only the gentlest and purest of soap on your child's tender skin. Resist the temptation to give your child bubble baths, because these are harmful to the skin. Never use soap to wash the inner foreskin because it is mucous membrane, just like the inner lining of the eyelid.

Foreskin infections are extremely rare, but if they occur, one of the many simple treatment options is antibiotic ointment along with bacterial replacement therapy (Acidophilus culture). We don't amputate body parts because of an infection. Most infections of the foreskin are actually caused by washing the foreskin with soap. Leave the foreskin alone, remembering that it doesn't need any special washing, and infections will be unlikely to occur.
#4 of 5 Old 01-04-2004, 01:39 PM

Can she call NOCIRC or something to get a referral for a penis-friendly Ped in her area???? There HAS to be someone else she can go to for some good, common sense.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#5 of 5 Old 01-04-2004, 04:57 PM

Her son is a little over 2 and uncirc'ed and she wants to keep him that way, she is worried the doctor will just suggest circumcision...

You know what... SO WHAT!!! You take the kid and get some medical help... if the Dr. "suggests" some totally out of line response to something then you tell the Dr... that is not an acceptable solution... I respect my child's genital integrity and I will not causually cut off any part of his body until we have EXHAUSTED ALL OTHER TREATMENTS POSSIBLE....

Don't be afraid to get your kid medical help... he could have a really serious problem if the inflamation prevents him from urinating... you can' just flippy floppy in anxiety over some "suggestion" that hasn't even been made.

No one is going to say "I told you so" ... and if they do- you report them to the state medical board... just get some help... get a culture... there could be a mechanical blockage at this point- they need to make sure that he can pee!

LoveSarah

(I just wanted to edit this to clarify thatI know "you" are not the mom of the kid with the inflamed penis... i was just saying "you" figurativly.")

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page