Now's my time to worry a little (son's red foreskin) - Mothering Forums
The Case Against Circumcision > Now's my time to worry a little (son's red foreskin)
somemama's Avatar somemama 02:59 AM 01-07-2004
My intact ds is 18 mo.

Tonight the tip of his foreskin is flaming red! And he is fussy. I've been reading a lot about this topic on this board tonight, but I still have these questions:

How do I know the difference between a foreskin diaper rash, yeast, or a bacterial infection? I have some Wedela skin cream--should I put that on his foreskin? When should I take him to the doctor? Can a culture be done without retracting his foreskin?

Also, is it true that too much citrus can cause diaper rash/foreskin problems? He has been eating Clementines for the past few days.

If I take him to a doc who suggests circ, I will seriously lose it.

Thanks!

Frankly Speaking's Avatar Frankly Speaking 10:50 AM 01-07-2004
First of all, just wait a little while and see what happens. These episodes seem to be very common and seem to have a lot to do with the begining of the separation process. They usually pass within 24-36 hours. If not, then it's time to get help. If it is the begining of the separation process, he may have several episodes over the next several years. No attention is needed for these occurances.

The foreskin is a very sensitive area and will very quickly get red and even swell at the slightest provocation. It will just as quickly return to normal.

If it's not part of the separation process, it will last longer and needs to be examined. The doctor will first do a visual examination and determine if it is bacterial or yeast and treat it as such. If that does not resolve the problem, then a culture will be done. Retraction is not necessary for a culture sample and the doctor should be reminded not to retract.

The citrus could be the problem if he has very sensitive skin but probably not. Just as a precaution you may want to discontinue the Clementines for now and try them again in a few days after the problem has been resolved. The problem going away does not necessarily mean the citrus was the problem. It may just be that his body is doing exactly what it should be doing, repairing itself.

Frank
SagMom's Avatar SagMom 11:46 AM 01-07-2004
What Frank said.

Warm baths (no bubbles or soap) may sooth it. Don't use wipes/soap during diaper changes--just clear warm water.
shelbean91's Avatar shelbean91 01:44 PM 01-07-2004
When my dd ate too much citrus, she got a horrible rash, so that might be the problem.
somemama's Avatar somemama 09:49 PM 01-07-2004
Oh, I had forgotten that redness can occur with separation. What would I do without you all?

He is looking a little better today. Thanks!
TigerTail's Avatar TigerTail 03:18 AM 01-08-2004
my #1 son Sammy (whose 3rd b-day it is today, btw! i never would've circ'd, but am still glad for the support i have gotten here lo, these 3 1/2ish years in this forum) gets red and rashy just touching a tangerine, so hopefully if this was a problem laying off the clementines will sort it out. good luck!

suse
Xenogenesis's Avatar Xenogenesis 06:21 AM 01-09-2004
Glad your little guy is feeling better, Julie.

Xenogenesis's Avatar Xenogenesis 05:57 AM 01-11-2004
Have you noticed any other signs of separation like ballooning?

somemama's Avatar somemama 11:47 AM 01-11-2004
I haven't noticed ballooning, but his pee opening seems a little larger than it used to.
fishomama's Avatar fishomama 08:48 PM 01-19-2004
Has anyone experienced bleeding with separation? My intact son is 3 mos old and has had 2 episodes of a bloody diaper. He was in ICU for 10 dz with a heart condition at 3 weeks and I just found out that my husband (uninformed at the time) saw one of the night nurses retracting and cleaning with a diaper wipe at diaper changes. I'm furious - must have been pumping at the time and didn't see it. The first episode, the ped rec'd that we go to ER. They retracted to check and found an adhesion. I'm not letting anyone touch it again!! Anyone else experience this? Could it be separation already? I noted the "pearls" of smegma, but the ER Dr. tried to convince me it was white blood cells. I scared of scarring.
Frankly Speaking's Avatar Frankly Speaking 04:36 AM 01-20-2004
A spot of blood is not unheard of but it shouldn't be any more than that. There also shouldn't be any permanent damage from a retraction but it certainly shouldn't be repeated for any reason. If there are any adhesions from the retraction, it should be much the same as a normal developmental adhesion that will resolve with time. It is almost certain that your son is not ready to retract yet. Even if he is retractable, there is no reason to do it. Just wait until he can do it for himself.

It sounds like your son is getting poor care all of the way around. The hospital administration should be called on the carpet and you should be assured that all personnel that will care for babies and toddlers will be trained in the proper care of intact children. The ER physician was absolutely wrong and shows astounding ignorance. He never should have retracted your son. If he found adhesions, he found exactly what he should have found at that age. What you found was indeed smegma and it was in no way white blood cells. This physician needs to be called on the carpet as well.

It's this kind of uneducated dolt that will try to convince parents there is something wrong with their children while they are actually causing the damage and will eventually convince parents there is something wrong and strongly recommend circumcision as the only remedy when there is absolutely nothing wrong.

Stand up not only for your child but for other parents and children who may not know to press the alarm button as you do. Raise h3ll with that hospital and doctor!

Frank
Up