Trying to get a handle on the reasons - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-09-2004, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have spent a large part of my life wondering why in the world parents subject their new sons to this procedure/custom, and I have finaly got up the courage to ask about it.

First was a retired doctor, married to a relative. A nicer guy you couldn't meet, and I know his son is intact. He told me that back in the sixties they routinely circumcised all the baby boys " unless the mother had serious objections " Wow! Knock my socks off. How many mothers were savvy enough to vehemently object when all the books and all the medical profession were telling them that it was the thing to do ???

Next was MIL. She and both DHs grew up in a rural area with few doctors. Most babies were born at home. So I asked if many boys were circ'd. "No, there were no doctors". Her first DH was circ'd. Probably taken to the Dr later. He told me he was really angry about it (likely because he was one of the very few), and said that he refused to allow it to happen to his two sons. Her second DH is, I'm fairly sure, intact. But their three sons are all circ'd. She had told me this during a discussion when my DS was born. So I had to know why she did it to the last three. Her reply was " Well, it was the doctors. It all depended on who your doctor was ". I almost suspect they did not even ask !!!!

It sure was a hazardous time to be born a boy !!
#2 of 7 Old 01-09-2004, 05:59 PM

Howard, I suspect you are right. Most men between the ages of mid 30's and mid 60's were either circumcised without the doctor asking the parents or after intense pressure along with all of the myths thrown in. The thing that you have to remember is that the vast majority of the fathers of these men were intact and knew that having a foreskin was neither hazardous nor problematical. These men certainly would not have assumed it would be done or would have easily agreed to it. However, now we have a different situation that the medical profession has foisted on us. Now that they have the majority of fathers circumcised, it's almost a foregone conclusion that the sons will be circumcised. I have even seen women say that it is a tradition in their families. They do a lot of stammering and studdering when I explain how it became a tradition in their families.

Now, 30 years after the AAP and AMA have clearly stated that there is no known benefit from circumcision, these doctors are still doing the hard sell. You would almost think they had never learned to read or never read the position statements from their own medical fraternities. The truth is that it is an obscenely profitable procedure and they are afraid of losing their patients if they refuse to perform the procedure. (Money again!) Shows how deep the ethics run in the profession.

Frank
#3 of 7 Old 01-09-2004, 10:14 PM

Yes - around 30 years ago was a scary time to be born male. Both of my brothers are circed, despite my father being intact (my mom just told me this when ds was born, and was obviously left intact).

Mom had both boys in military hospitals. My oldest brother was born when my Dad was in Vietnam, and Mom says they never even asked her - just circed him one day and then told her how to care for it.

My second brother was born when Dad was back home, but still - no one asked them.

My brothers are now 32 and 30.

So, so sad.
#4 of 7 Old 01-10-2004, 10:08 AM

Carolyn, it's still a scary time for boys. Half of them still have to endure this pointless destruction of their genitals. If they could only understand, the other half would give a huge sigh of relief.

Frank
#5 of 7 Old 01-10-2004, 10:21 AM

Military hospitals might STILL circ without asking. It happened to a soldier in my dh's unit just a few years ago. they wanted to leave their son intact but the baby was in the nursery, and the next time they saw him, missing foreskin. bastards.
i still can't figure out how and why my brother got circ'ed. he was born at 29-30 weeks for god's sakes and spent about 3 months in the NICU. you'd think they'd leave him the hell alone after that.
#6 of 7 Old 01-10-2004, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

The obsession that some doctors seem to have with whacking off foreskins is absolutely mind boggling. I read on another board of a difficult birth where they suspected the baby's arm had been damaged during delivery. He was strapped down and circumcised BEFORE they checked out his arm and discovered that he had a broken clavicle.

There has to be grounds for some legal action in some of these cases, especialy in cases like your DH friend where no consent was given - even in the Military.
#7 of 7 Old 01-11-2004, 12:58 AM

Many of the myths live on - passed down from one circumcised generation to the next.

In this way the intense pressure of "our family has always circumcised" lives on.

Now that the medical establishment has created a need for greater numbers of physicians, etc. they cannot allow that need/number dwindle.

Where would they all go?

$Cha-$Ching . . .

The broken clavicle thread is not a far cry from the other one I simply could not comment on.

<disgust, tears, overwhelming>

It Seems To Me money can equate power which in turn could foster greed for more of both. What would you desire if you could have basically anything you wanted? More?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page