fishomama, giving you your own thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2004, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fishomama, I didn't want anyone to miss your question, so I'm posting it here for you in a new thread:

Has anyone experienced bleeding with separation? My intact son is 3 mos old and has had 2 episodes of a bloody diaper. He was in ICU for 10 dz with a heart condition at 3 weeks and I just found out that my husband (uninformed at the time) saw one of the night nurses retracting and cleaning with a diaper wipe at diaper changes. I'm furious - must have been pumping at the time and didn't see it. The first episode, the ped rec'd that we go to ER. They retracted to check and found an adhesion. I'm not letting anyone touch it again!! Anyone else experience this? Could it be separation already? I noted the "pearls" of smegma, but the ER Dr. tried to convince me it was white blood cells. I'm scared of scarring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2004, 03:38 AM

bump....frank should see this one. mamajulie, can you edit the thread title to be more descriptive so frank will be sure to read it?

at a minimum that nurse needs a reprimand letter. the hospital needs to know what their nurses are doing is wrong.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 01-20-2004, 04:34 AM

A spot of blood is not unheard of but it shouldn't be any more than that. There also shouldn't be any permanent damage from a retraction but it certainly shouldn't be repeated for any reason. If there are any adhesions from the retraction, it should be much the same as a normal developmental adhesion that will resolve with time. It is almost certain that your son is not ready to retract yet. Even if he is retractable, there is no reason to do it. Just wait until he can do it for himself.

It sounds like your son is getting poor care all of the way around. The hospital administration should be called on the carpet and you should be assured that all personnel that will care for babies and toddlers will be trained in the proper care of intact children. The ER physician was absolutely wrong and shows astounding ignorance. He never should have retracted your son. If he found adhesions, he found exactly what he should have found at that age. What you found was indeed smegma and it was in no way white blood cells. This physician needs to be called on the carpet as well.

It's this kind of uneducated dolt that will try to convince parents there is something wrong with their children while they are actually causing the damage and will eventually convince parents there is something wrong and strongly recommend circumcision as the only remedy when there is absolutely nothing wrong.

Stand up not only for your child but for other parents and children who may not know to press the alarm button as you do. Raise h3ll with that hospital and doctor!

Frank

User Tag List