Friend's son retracted by urologist..Need some advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-04-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend who had the twins called me all upset. Her son had urologist appointment and the urologist said there was too much bacteria and the DR. retracted her son and made him bleed. Her son was crying she was telling the DR. not to do it.
At the beginning of the appointment the doc told her he was anti circumcision and doesn't see a reason for it...oh but apparently he does with her son
Doc says kid has an infection and she has to retract every day and put a creme under his foreskin.
She knows this is wrong but wants to know how to treat the infection without retraction.
there was a suspicion of a UTI but it was never confirmed.

anyway..I can't remember if tea tree oil was recomended in the bath or soemthing else...can you please tell me what to tell her.
Also the doc told her the foreskin was too tight

she says her son's penis does seem like it has little pea at the end of it and does look infected.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 12:30 AM

How horrible but unfortunatly par for the course it seems with Dr's here in the USA.

What symptoms was he showing that made them go to the urologist?

Here is a thread with some helpful things to do to both sooth irritation and treat yeast or bacterial infections http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 01:20 AM

That's horrible! I'd encourage your friend to also follow up with a written letter to the hospital's risk manager, that doctor and the head of his department.

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

#4 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What symptoms was he showing that made them go to the urologist?
He had a fever for over a week. the ped recomnded testing his urine for a UTI. Apparetly b/c it was over a holiday weekend the urine did not get tested in time so the ped wanted to make sure the infection was gone.
The ped scared my frined by telling her that the if the infection goes untrreated it will travel ti the kidneys.
Meanwhile the little boy was all better. No fever and back to normal.
when she got to the urologist he assured that he was not pro circ and saw no reason for them. So she trusted him.
He ripped that poor babies foreskin back so badly and made him bleed. Then he told my friend, "see the infection"
It was SMEGMA and she told him that but he kept saying it was an infection and how bad it was..sure it looked bad it was raw bloody penis with the foreskin ripped off.
My poor friend called me all upset and at that point she wasn't even sure if what the doctor was saying was wrong b/c of course the doom and gloom was if the infection gets worse he WILL NEED to be circumcised.

I did just email her the link you posted and it had all the info she worried about..the "pearl" the smgma and the tea tree oil.

thanks so much (This is the mom I helped make the decision not to circ her twins)

#5 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 02:58 AM

A fever does not necessarily mean infection! The child could just be sick. What a terrible doctor. Why assume it is the penis???

1st: Foreskin has NOTHING to do with UTI. Foreskin does not cause them and does not encourage them. Without a urine sample there would be no way to diagnose this.

2nd: Without a culture showing a bacterial infection that doctor could not know if there is one. Bacterial infections appear as MAJOR swelling of the entire penis. The penis will be like 3 times its normal size. Bacterial infections are rare and usually caused by trauma such as forcible retraction. Which brings me to...

3rd: Now that this boy has been forcibly retracted he has an open wound to his penis which is now open to become infected. The proper care for him is to LEAVE IT ALONE. There might be some moderate swelling due to the trauma and the urine might sting the glans for a few days. Unless the swelling gets EXTREME this should not be of any concern. Smegma discharge comes in all colors and smells. Smell does NOT indicate infection. The thing with boys is that the smegma has been in there awhile so it will often smell a little when it is expelled from the body. This goes away as a boy matures and becomes retractable. If he is in diapers make sure she knows to change them as soon as they become wet or soiled.

4th: Give the child some cranberry juice (just-in-case). If the fever does not improve have a urine sample done but DO NOT go back to that doctor!!! Just go to the normal pedi. There is no reason to see a urologist for this. If he a baby they can bag his penis to get a clean catch, or she can hold him over a cup when he first wakes up to get a clean catch.

5th: Give him a bath with a little baking soda in it to soothe the wounded penis. If it is a small baby bath you only need one tablespoon. For a big bath about 1/3 cup of baking soda. And finally...

6th: If any other doctors suspect infection a culture should be done. Just as you do a culture for a woman. The culture will tell you if it is bacterial or yeast. A culture is done by swabbing the tip (NO RETRACTION). IF there is any bacteria or yeast it will be present on the tip of the foreskin. I highly doubt this child had and infection, but if he did it would be much more likely to be yeast. A culture should always be done before prescribing any creams or medications.

I'm so sorry for this baby. I hope your friend understands that this doctor knows nothing about the intact boy. You can report him to D.O.C. (www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org) and they will send him information and a little letter. This would be a great thing to do to protect him from harming other intact boys.

Keep us posted.

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#6 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 03:56 AM

If a doctor opened a little girl's vagina and made it bleed, that would be considered sexual assault. This is no different.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#7 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marita View Post
If a doctor opened a little girl's vagina and made it bleed, that would be considered sexual assault. This is no different.
: That was my first thought, as well. That parent gave a vocal no and that man touched the boy's genitals anyway. Were do some of these doctors get off?

Brittany- Wife to Eric : Mama to Asher : born 7/15/09
#8 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 07:34 PM

i would assume a urologist knows more about genitals than a pediatrician, so i guess i am confused on why he would even do that. i'd think the retracting would only irritate the infection more. maybe she should get a second opinion.

two amazing sons & .
#9 of 10 Old 06-08-2009, 01:42 AM

How is the little guy doing? Did you pass along our info?

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#10 of 10 Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutucrazy View Post
How is the little guy doing? Did you pass along our info?
He is healing along. I did quote all the info here and send it to her. she went to Docs opposing circ and sent them an email also.
Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page