Going to the dr today, need your thoughts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-21-2004, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am taking my 2 year old to the dr today for a rash but will also be having him look at his penis. There is a lump under the skin. When I first noticed it, it didn't bother me too much. I figured it was probably a white pearl that I have heard people talk about but it has gotten bigger and bigger. It is oval shaped and every so often he says it hurts. The lump is about the size of my finger down to the first knuckle. What do you think?
#2 of 6 Old 01-21-2004, 02:52 PM

I would guess a smegma pearl, but have never seen one. I would not let them retract, maybe it can be gently coerced to come out, in a warm tub, rubbing toward the opening gently? Not sure, but that's what I'd probably do, rather than bring him to the doctor.

Jackie
#3 of 6 Old 01-21-2004, 04:49 PM

I don't think you need to be scared of going to the doctor... just go and see what he/she says/thinks... just don't let them DO anything... getting a doctors OPINION or ADVICE is not invasive or harmful... after you find out what they think it is and what they would do to treat/not treat such a thing... then you can take your time and decide if that's what you should do.

I would make this clear to the doctor BEFORE you take your child's diaper off. No prying, no retraction, nothing invasive *as a part of the exam* until the two of you have discussed it. Ask the Dr to go VERY slow and to stop and talk with you at each step of the way.

It sounds like a smegma pearl to me and it sounds like it is big enough to be uncomfortable and might even be putting enough pressure on his glans that his urethra could be squished tight... which could be the sort of thing that maybe would be a urinary problem- usually they talk about these like the size of a pea... this sounds much bigger. I would not be entirely relaxed about a "wait and see" approach with something that large... BUT I would also totally not think there would need to be any SURGICAL intervention... but this might be something that does need to be worked out... somehow.. not sure how... I guess that depends on the anatomy.

Go to the Dr and see what they say... I hope it all goes well for your son... and with the rash too.

Love Sarah
#4 of 6 Old 01-21-2004, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. The dr said it is smegma and despite my request, kept trying to retract it anyways They don't know what the rash is though. Overall a pretty pointless appointment.
#5 of 6 Old 01-21-2004, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Katambra
Thanks everyone. The dr said it is smegma and despite my request, kept trying to retract it anyways

Did they retract or were you able to stop them in time? : Ignorant doctors!
#6 of 6 Old 01-21-2004, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well when I first showed the dr I lightly pinched the tip so that if the dr tried I could stop him. I told him "Please don't try to retract it" and he asked me if it was retractable. I said I had no idea. He said something about most kids being retractable by age 2 and I let go, he then proceded to pull it back. Mostly just enough to see pink stuff but it is still pretty attached so he let it go. I was frustrated though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page