Circ to be discussed on The Doctors today - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister lives in MI and this show comes on about 2 hours before it comes on for me here, and she just texted me to let me know that they talked about it today.

So it might already be over for some of you, but I just wanted to give a heads up those of you who it's not on till later for. I am interested in hearing what everyone says about it.... and hopefully I won't end up throwing things at the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 01:15 PM

What is "The Doctors"? I keep hearing people talk about on here, but no one that I know has ever talked about, I have never seen any promos for it or seen it on tv guide. Its like its this ghost show that does not seem to exist. lol
Old 06-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It is a show where a few doctors sit up on a stage and talk about health issues.
There is an audience as well.
It is on ABC at 10am here.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolingmama View Post
It is a show where a few doctors sit up on a stage and talk about health issues.
There is an audience as well.
It is on ABC at 10am here.
weird, I never see any commercials for it. And most talk shows mention other shows now and again, from the view, to Oprah, to most night shows, but never this doctors thing. hmm.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:13 PM

It must be re-run season or something; first the Oprah show and now this one. They did a show a few months ago too. Is it the same episode?
Old 06-24-2009, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

It wasn't a re-run-- they did a "viewer's favorite episodes" thing, where they talked about all the most popular/most controversial topics they've covered on their show and "follow up" type of stuff.

Unfortunately, I missed the circ segment. Dang kids...being so needy with their hunger and needing to use the potty!! : ...lol
Old 06-24-2009, 04:20 PM

Tell them you thnk they're old enough to use the bathroom and feed themselves. Mom is busy.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:42 PM

It starts in 20 minutes in my area. Any idea how far into the show this segment is? I'm at work and we have a TV here in the break room (conveniently next to my office), but I can't spend a whole hour in there.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:23 PM

I'm not sure if this is a rerun of the segment they already did or a new one, but it's on youtube (complete with an intactivist's corrections ). Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBrCo5k1K_Q

Old 06-24-2009, 05:25 PM

Ok, just saw it. Don't waste your time. The whole segment was maybe two minutes long and the majority of that was showing a clip from the previous episode on it. When they finally starting talking about it again it was the same lame stuff. They flashed a comment from their message board asking about the purpose of the foreskin, then the plastic surgeon said something like "from an evolutionary standpoint, life was much different back then and they needed that covering." Then Dr. Sears said "as someone who cycles and surfs, I wish I had that protection now. It tends to chafe." But then he went on to say "I'm not against circumcision, I do them in my office but you have to ask yourself, shouldn't you give the child the choice?" He also said yes, there are minor benefits, but they're not as effective as safe sex practices." Then the Bachelor guy doctor said "you know what, it's a personal decision and no matter which way you go you can still be right."

And that was it.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:36 PM

The clip they showed was from part of one of the episodes in that Youtube video. If you start at 5:13, the argument they have where the plastic surgeon says it reduces STDs and cancer and "it looks a heck of a lot better!" and then Dr. Sears tries to talk but can't. But they also added to it with their brief comments after the clip.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:42 PM

A banana, a tube sock on a hand, a tube sock on a cucumber, why don't they use a real example that everyone canunderstand. Just take someone's finger, apply oragel, and then peel back their nail and cut it off. PRESTO! Now everyone understands what circ is.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 06-24-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
A banana, a tube sock on a hand, a tube sock on a cucumber, why don't they use a real example that everyone canunderstand. Just take someone's finger, apply oragel, and then peel back their nail and cut it off. PRESTO! Now everyone understands what circ is.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
Yeah, their demonstrations were really misleading.

I think my least favorite part was when one of the doctors (I think it was the young one) said something along the lines of "And let's face it, a circumcised penis just looks better" and the entire audience started applauding. :Puke

Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmama1984 View Post

I think my least favorite part was when one of the doctors (I think it was the young one) said something along the lines of "And let's face it, a circumcised penis just looks better" and the entire audience started applauding. :Puke

Somewhere in Zambia, someone is saying the same thing about female genital cutting right now.

-Ron
HIS body, HIS decision.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmama1984 View Post

wow, im glad I didnt see it, even reading that makes me soooo mad

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
Old 06-25-2009, 01:22 PM

I'll be grateful I missed this. Circ'ing makes me so upset and sad. I actually cry when I hear someone I know has done this.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Low View Post
Somewhere in Zambia, someone is saying the same thing about female genital cutting right now.
I know. Where is the disconnect? Is it denial? Someone sometime is going to have to get their head out of the sand and admit that this is so grossly wrong, it's so completely inhumane, its sick sick sick...and I am so totally powerless to stop it.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 06-25-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkinheadmommy View Post
The clip they showed was from part of one of the episodes in that Youtube video. If you start at 5:13, the argument they have where the plastic surgeon says it reduces STDs and cancer and "it looks a heck of a lot better!" and then Dr. Sears tries to talk but can't. But they also added to it with their brief comments after the clip.

Is this the same Dr. Sears who wrote the vaccine book and is on the 'ask the experts' page on MDC?

Mama to DS 2/23/2009 and DD 7/22/2014
Old 06-25-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursaminor View Post
Is this the same Dr. Sears who wrote the vaccine book and is on the 'ask the experts' page on MDC?
No, it's Dr. Jim Sears.

Dr. Bob Sears is his brother and is in the same practice. Dr. Bob wrote the Vaccine book and is on the Mothering panel.

Dr. Bill Sears is the father of both and also in their practice.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07

User Tag List