If you regret circumcising your son(s), please post here. - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#421 of 729 Old 03-08-2008, 10:05 PM
 
nolaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Your milk is nasty? That makes me sad.
It makes me sad too... It's not nasty for DS to eat (at least I don't think he thinks that way), but if it gets on DH, it is nasty. BF, intact and CDing are not popular around here at all. No one in either of our families has even considered any of those, that I am aware of.
nolaw is offline  
#422 of 729 Old 03-15-2008, 02:49 AM
 
christyl2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I must say.....don't circ. My boyfriend isn't and I let it be his decision whether or not to have our son circ because I had didn't think I should make that call. I thought that there had to be some reason for the procedure...cleanliness maybe. I was so wrong. Even after being circ you still have to pull the foreskin back and clean it so that it doesn't get stuck or grow back up (when he gets an erection it pops loose, which is painful) just like you do when you're not circ.

I made the mistake of taking a walk while they wheeled my son away to do the procedure. Little did I know that I walked right by the door when I heard my baby screaming bloody murder. I wanted to bust through the door like the Kool-Aid man used to do in commericals and take my baby and run. I was soooooo naive to think that there was a purpose to circs. If I have another boy I will not have him circ! True maybe he may have to have a circ done later in life because of infections but and I stress but he may not. I do not think there is any purpose for the hospital doing this procedure but to get more $$!
christyl2007 is offline  
#423 of 729 Old 03-15-2008, 03:01 AM
 
Night_Nurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyl2007 View Post
True maybe he may have to have a circ done later in life because of infections but and I stress but he may not.
I just wanted to say the majority of boys & men with an intact penis never have any infections or issues.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Night_Nurse is offline  
#424 of 729 Old 03-15-2008, 03:04 AM
 
christyl2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's what I meant, if they ever had any problems at all. Thanks I should have been more clear.
christyl2007 is offline  
#425 of 729 Old 03-15-2008, 03:05 AM
 
RightasRain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did it because my husband thought we should do it because he was circumcised.

I would never do it again, and i am ashamed at myself for doing something like that without some very serious thought

I WOULD NEVER DO IT AGAIN

i hope he forgives me
RightasRain is offline  
#426 of 729 Old 03-19-2008, 03:30 PM
 
Draupadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel very bad about circ'ing my son. The thought that he had to endure that pain...I don't know why we did it.
The truth is that now I think his penis doesn't look...right. I hope I did not scar him for life.

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David
Draupadi is offline  
#427 of 729 Old 03-19-2008, 09:54 PM
 
Fellow Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Formerly JWhispers
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightasRain View Post
I did it because my husband thought we should do it because he was circumcised.

I would never do it again, and i am ashamed at myself for doing something like that without some very serious thought

I WOULD NEVER DO IT AGAIN

i hope he forgives me
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamsMama View Post
I feel very bad about circ'ing my son. The thought that he had to endure that pain...I don't know why we did it.
The truth is that now I think his penis doesn't look...right. I hope I did not scar him for life.
Sorry to hear this. It's hard to see through the rhetoric but I hope you'll take your new found information and let other know. You'll be able to make a more informed decision next time.
Fellow Traveler is offline  
#428 of 729 Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 PM
 
Blueena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My four year old son is circumcised and I regret it, my dh thinks I am insane for regretting it, he is all for it, but every time I look at his penis, I can feel my shame and know that I can not take it back.

I still remember beign pregnant with my son and my husband telling me how we were going to circumcise and me not knowing anything about it really, just went along with it. But I do remember, deep in the pit of my stomach, something didn't feel right, I knew that there was something wrong about it, but I didn't know where to go (I hadn't found this website), everyone around me agreed with my husband.

The day in the hospital that it was done, I started to feel panic, I held him so hard in my arms and my husband had to pry him out of my arms and I remember saying "I can't believe you are going to butcher him" and my husband just kissed me and said I was overreacting and took him. The whole time he was gone, I felt sick, I knew something wasn't right, but everyone around me just kept reassuring me and I didn't trust my maternal instincts at the time, I was a new mother, I was trying to find my way.

That first night, my sweet boy wouldn't sleep, he was in pain, he cried, we had to give a 2 day old baby tylenol, he cried with every diaper change until it healed. I know it was a bad decision and if we had another boy, I would not circumcise him, I don't care if my dh disagrees, he doesn't have ownership over the penis just because he has one.

I find all this really hard to admit, but when my son is older, I will talk to him, will tell him about the statistics, about the pain he was in and I will tell him I am sorry.
Blueena is offline  
#429 of 729 Old 03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
 
aaronsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was bullied into circ'ing DS by my mother. I was only 17 at the time and I was (and still am) strongly against circ. My mom fed me all the usual crap ("so he'll look like dad" "it's more hygienic" "he'll be made fun of in the locker room") and finally I signed the consent form. The second to last day my son was in the NICU, I visited him. By his bed I noticed a little board with the impression of a baby and it read "Circumstraint". That day I went home, threw up, and then cried myself to sleep. I thought by signing that form I had given up my right to change my mind. I'll regret it forever. I tried to make my mom realize all the information she fed me was false but she's still sticking to her beliefs. I'll forever regret circ'ing my son but when he is older I want to provide him with information for foreskin restoration. Any future sons will not be circ'ed. I'm glad that I know better now.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

aaronsmom is offline  
#430 of 729 Old 03-28-2008, 05:18 PM
 
Verity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: talking to myself in public
Posts: 3,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, subconsciously, he did not want HIS son to feel rejected by some (moronic) woman. If some twit were to reject him because of THAT, he's better off IMO.

I now tell myself the same thing because my son is circed. I regret it and wish I had not allowed it to happen, but if a woman rejects my ds for that, he's better off without her.

I will add that I definitely didn't know then (almost 14 years ago) what I know now about circumcision. I had no idea that the foreskin actually has a purpose. That's not an excuse, but it's the truth. If my ds had not been my first child, or if I'd had easy access to more information (again, this was 1993-4 and it was difficult to research medical issues before I had internet access), my ds probably would be intact.
Verity is offline  
#431 of 729 Old 04-23-2008, 02:30 AM
 
fruitful womb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 2,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueena View Post
My four year old son is circumcised and I regret it, my dh thinks I am insane for regretting it, he is all for it, but every time I look at his penis, I can feel my shame and know that I can not take it back.....

I still remember beign pregnant with my son and my husband telling me how we were going to circumcise and me not knowing anything about it really, just went along with it. But I do remember, deep in the pit of my stomach, something didn't feel right, I knew that there was something wrong about it, but I didn't know where to go (I hadn't found this website), everyone around me agreed with my husband.

The day in the hospital that it was done, I started to feel panic, I held him so hard in my arms and my husband had to pry him out of my arms and I remember saying "I can't believe you are going to butcher him" and my husband just kissed me and said I was overreacting and took him. The whole time he was gone, I felt sick, I knew something wasn't right, but everyone around me just kept reassuring me and I didn't trust my maternal instincts at the time, I was a new mother, I was trying to find my way.

That first night, my sweet boy wouldn't sleep, he was in pain, he cried, we had to give a 2 day old baby tylenol, he cried with every diaper change until it healed. I know it was a bad decision and if we had another boy, I would not circumcise him, I don't care if my dh disagrees, he doesn't have ownership over the penis just because he has one.

I find all this really hard to admit, but when my son is older, I will talk to him, will tell him about the statistics, about the pain he was in and I will tell him I am sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmom View Post
I was bullied into circ'ing DS by my mother. I was only 17 at the time and I was (and still am) strongly against circ. My mom fed me all the usual crap ("so he'll look like dad" "it's more hygienic" "he'll be made fun of in the locker room") and finally I signed the consent form. The second to last day my son was in the NICU, I visited him. By his bed I noticed a little board with the impression of a baby and it read "Circumstraint". That day I went home, threw up, and then cried myself to sleep. I thought by signing that form I had given up my right to change my mind. I'll regret it forever. I tried to make my mom realize all the information she fed me was false but she's still sticking to her beliefs. I'll forever regret circ'ing my son but when he is older I want to provide him with information for foreskin restoration. Any future sons will not be circ'ed. I'm glad that I know better now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verity View Post
So, subconsciously, he did not want HIS son to feel rejected by some (moronic) woman. If some twit were to reject him because of THAT, he's better off IMO.

I now tell myself the same thing because my son is circed. I regret it and wish I had not allowed it to happen, but if a woman rejects my ds for that, he's better off without her.

I will add that I definitely didn't know then (almost 14 years ago) what I know now about circumcision. I had no idea that the foreskin actually has a purpose. That's not an excuse, but it's the truth. If my ds had not been my first child, or if I'd had easy access to more information (again, this was 1993-4 and it was difficult to research medical issues before I had internet access), my ds probably would be intact.

(((HUGS))) mamas. Your stories are heart wrenching. Please know that this wasn't your fault. I'm so sorry that America allows this atrocity to continue. ITs sick. Be super sure that you tell your boys that they can sue their doctors when they get older. At least let them know its an option.

s
fruitful womb is offline  
#432 of 729 Old 04-23-2008, 12:58 PM
 
MommytoB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry every mom on here was filled with lies its a sad thing when doctors think all boys are born with a flaw -thank you all for sharing your s tory
MommytoB is offline  
#433 of 729 Old 05-16-2008, 03:46 AM
 
mama2mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Moved to new thread, sorry OP!
mama2mason is offline  
#434 of 729 Old 05-16-2008, 08:13 AM
 
amandaleigh37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mama2mason -
I don't have any advice on the adhesions, but I can relate very much to the guilt you feel. I often think back to that moment in the hospital and wish more than anything I could go back and say NO! and crumple up that paper I signed and set it on fire
I'm sorry you are dealing with this, I hope someone else here can give you some advice & your son's issues will clear up so he won't be in any pain...
Thanks for sharing your story here

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
amandaleigh37 is offline  
#435 of 729 Old 05-17-2008, 12:22 AM
 
Night_Nurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mason View Post
Hi everyone,

I am new here, so I hope this is in the right place. This is a repeat of a post I made over at diaperswappers. While I appreciate posts of support, or info about why circ'ing is bad, I am really looking for info from people who have been there, done that...
You might want to repost this as a new thread in Case Against Circ instead of having it in a sticky/regret thread. You'll most likely get more reads and advice than by leaving it in this thread.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Night_Nurse is offline  
#436 of 729 Old 05-17-2008, 11:34 AM
 
mama2mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Nurse View Post
You might want to repost this as a new thread in Case Against Circ instead of having it in a sticky/regret thread. You'll most likely get more reads and advice than by leaving it in this thread.
Thanks...I wasn't sure if it would be okay to post there, or if I had to put it here, because it is a regret issue. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
mama2mason is offline  
#437 of 729 Old 05-29-2008, 03:41 PM
 
dayiscoming2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, this is sad. I had no idea circumcision was unhealthy. I was told by my last OBGYN that her boy had an infection when he was around 5 and had to be circumcised so I thought there would be less chance of infection if I circumcised my son. She even said that it would make it so he didn't have to do it himself later in life when he would remember it, in case he got an infection. And she made it sound like infections in uncircumcised males were very common.

It makes my stomach sick thinking that I did something unhealthy for my son. I only want what's best for him. If I have another boy with this pregnancy, I will not have him circ'd.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

 homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

 

dayiscoming2006 is offline  
#438 of 729 Old 05-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned
 
Yulia_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post
Wow, this is sad. I had no idea circumcision was unhealthy. I was told by my last OBGYN that her boy had an infection when he was around 5 and had to be circumcised so I thought there would be less chance of infection if I circumcised my son. She even said that it would make it so he didn't have to do it himself later in life when he would remember it, in case he got an infection. And she made it sound like infections in uncircumcised males were very common.

It makes my stomach sick thinking that I did something unhealthy for my son. I only want what's best for him. If I have another boy with this pregnancy, I will not have him circ'd.

Without doctors "help" ( http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=129378 ) intact boys/men are much less likely to have problems in this department that cut ones.

Good for you for educating yourself!
Yulia_R is offline  
#439 of 729 Old 05-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Banned
 
Yulia_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post
It makes my stomach sick thinking that I did something unhealthy for my son. I only want what's best for him.
I feel the same way about vaccinating my first child . I wish I could take it back ...
If you haven't looked into vaccines already, I highly recommend. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...splay.php?f=47
Yulia_R is offline  
#440 of 729 Old 05-29-2008, 05:21 PM
 
dayiscoming2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
I feel the same way about vaccinating my first child . I wish I could take it back ...
If you haven't looked into vaccines already, I highly recommend. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...splay.php?f=47
Yeah, same feeling for having vaccinated my son until he was 1 as well. I no longer vaccinate since I have been informed though. Thank you for the link to the other thread.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

 homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

 

dayiscoming2006 is offline  
#441 of 729 Old 06-24-2008, 09:15 PM
 
Kristin123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The poor little guy!! We circ'd both of our sons and it kills me to this day. I was uninformed and stupid!!! It was the argument we want him to look like dad. If I ever have another boy he will NOT be circ'd. My 2nd is getting penis infections all the time, I feel so bad for mutalating him.
Kristin123 is offline  
#442 of 729 Old 06-28-2008, 05:59 PM
 
Jaysfamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We circumcised our little baby boy too. I was talking with my husband yesterday and he admitted that at the last minute, he almost told them not to circ him as they were wheeling him away. I was surpirsed by this because I also had the urge to stop them and ignored my instinct. My son did have anesthesia for the mutilation, but when they called me after it was done.....he was shrieking and screaming in the background. Those screams haunt me still, 20 months later. It was obvious that the anesthesia did not work. I had my husband watch and listen to the circ video yesterday. It is the only circ video that has a baby crying the same way my son did. I wanted him to understand why I am still haunted by it.....and now he does. He threw the headphones across the room at one point when he was watching it. We had already decided not to circ any future sons several months ago, but now there is no doubt for us. I am so deeply sorry for what we did...and so ANGRY that the medical community isn't honest or forthcoming about this barbaric procedure.

Now, I want to help spread the word, and the truth about circumcision. The problem is that I'm so passionate and emotional about it now that I'm scared I'll turn people off from listening to what I have to say.
Jaysfamily is offline  
#443 of 729 Old 06-28-2008, 08:11 PM
 
Fellow Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Formerly JWhispers
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfamily View Post
We circumcised our little baby boy too. I was talking with my husband yesterday and he admitted that at the last minute, he almost told them not to circ him as they were wheeling him away. I was surpirsed by this because I also had the urge to stop them and ignored my instinct. My son did have anesthesia for the mutilation, but when they called me after it was done.....he was shrieking and screaming in the background. Those screams haunt me still, 20 months later. It was obvious that the anesthesia did not work. I had my husband watch and listen to the circ video yesterday. It is the only circ video that has a baby crying the same way my son did. I wanted him to understand why I am still haunted by it.....and now he does. He threw the headphones across the room at one point when he was watching it. We had already decided not to circ any future sons several months ago, but now there is no doubt for us. I am so deeply sorry for what we did...and so ANGRY that the medical community isn't honest or forthcoming about this barbaric procedure.

Now, I want to help spread the word, and the truth about circumcision. The problem is that I'm so passionate and emotional about it now that I'm scared I'll turn people off from listening to what I have to say.
Hey welcome to the board. It's is a shame you didn't find us sooner. Don't beat yourself up too much though. It can be difficult to see circumcision for what it is; especially considering that most of the US medical community fail at their job of simply informing parents that it isn't necessary and refusing to do it on those grounds. However we learn from our mistakes and the next time around you'll be more informed.

It's great that your husband understands this as well as you do that is sometimes the biggest stumbling block. I hope you'll stick around read, post and learn and perhaps you'll soon be able to talk to other about it. Some of the best 'intactivist' are parents such as yourself who can relay first person accounts and tell other parents how they regret their decision. So again welcome, it's ashame it isn't under better circumstances but I am sure something good will come out of this.

ETA: Welcome to kristin123 too!
Fellow Traveler is offline  
#444 of 729 Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 PM
 
BrokeMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I'm pretty new here. DH and our two sons are circ. I've never been 100% sure one way or the other about it, but leaned towards circ. I've been reading more and I'm wondering if it was the right decision. I still have lots of questions and I'm not sure that I'll decide it was the wrong decision, but I need to find out where I stand on it! Thanks for sharing your stories everyone.
BrokeMom is offline  
#445 of 729 Old 07-03-2008, 08:50 PM
 
Fellow Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Formerly JWhispers
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeMom View Post
Hi I'm pretty new here. DH and our two sons are circ. I've never been 100% sure one way or the other about it, but leaned towards circ. I've been reading more and I'm wondering if it was the right decision. I still have lots of questions and I'm not sure that I'll decide it was the wrong decision, but I need to find out where I stand on it! Thanks for sharing your stories everyone.
Please stick around and ask any questions that come to mind. We'll do our best to give you the straight dope.
Fellow Traveler is offline  
#446 of 729 Old 07-05-2008, 02:29 PM
 
BrokeMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Honestly, the only reasons we did were 1: we figured God would not command the Jews to do something that was harmful/nonbeneficial and 2: we always heard it was hard to keep clean if you were uncirc and that UTIs and cancer were more common. 3: DH was circ...so they'd match.

Looking back, I think none of those were good reasons. #2 would have been a good reason...if it had been TRUE... I wish we had done more research. I can not believe that myself and others make such a BIG decision without knowing much about it!! I am really ashamed of myself for not researching and for making that decision based on such little and false knowledge.

At this point in time I think my conclusion is that it was not wrong to do, but just not the Best thing to do! If I could do it over again, I wouldn't circ. I don't think I'll look down upon anyone for circ'ing their sons, but I will from now on strongly encourage them to research and find out EVERYTHING there is to know first, before deciding. And if DH gets on board, we won't circ any more little boys born to us. Even if it means our boys won't "match".

P.S. I forgot to mention that we didn't actually have ds1 circ. He was born with hypospadias and he came out of me already looking circumcised! He had to have 2 surgeries to correct the hypospadias issue.

P.S.2 I just read a story from a nurse who says that they have to console a baby after circ so that he isn't taken back crying. And that sometimes it takes awhile. I DO remember thinking that it was sure taking them a long time to get Levi's circ done... and sure enough he was very peaceful and sleeping when he came back.
BrokeMom is offline  
#447 of 729 Old 07-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Banned
 
Yulia_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeMom View Post
Honestly, the only reasons we did were 1: we figured God would not command the Jews to do something that was harmful/nonbeneficial well, then maybe he didn't and 2: we always heard it was hard to keep clean if you were uncirc and that UTIs and cancer were more common. very common myths in the US, unfortunately 3: DH was circ...so they'd match. were your sons born with pubic hair or or does your dh shaives it down there? any ice in the underwear to match the size better??

Looking back, I think none of those were good reasons. I'm glad you have the courage and the wisdom to admit it! that's a good start! #2 would have been a good reason...if it had been TRUE... I guess if my toes would have been cut off at birth they would never get infected as well, ha? I wish we had done more research. you still can stop the cycle of mutilation by educating your sons about the damage of circ when they are older, so their sons will not have to go through the same torture I can not believe that myself and others make such a BIG decision without knowing much about it!! it is very sad and shocking, isn't it? it's the same basic philosophy that keeps both male and female circ going: it was done to parents, so it must be good I am really ashamed of myself for not researching and for making that decision based on such little and false knowledge. I think you still don't know alot about circ; stick around and do some more reading.

At this point in time I think my conclusion is that it was not wrong to do, but just not the Best thing to do! would you feel the same way if your parents made a decision amputating YOUR clitoral hood for whatever reason??? If I could do it over again, I wouldn't circ. I don't think I'll look down upon anyone for circ'ing their sons would you look down upon people who beat their babies us and sexually abuse them??? please look at how the surgery (circ) performed in the US and tell me that doesn't look like sexual abuse/assult to you! http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...27632617&hl=en (As you can see on this video, the doctor claims that he uses anesthesia…well, make sure your speakers are on!), but I will from now on strongly encourage them to research and find out EVERYTHING there is to know first, before deciding. And if DH gets on board, we won't circ any more little boys born to us would let your dh to make a decision to cut off any other healthy part of your baby body??? or would you protect your baby from harm as mothers should??. Even if it means our boys won't "match".

P.S. I forgot to mention that we didn't actually have ds1 circ. He was born with hypospadias and he came out of me already looking circumcised! birth defects do happen, sadly He had to have 2 surgeries to correct the hypospadias issue. his hypospadias must be very severe because mild ones when the child has no problems peeing do not require a corrective surgery.

P.S.2 I just read a story from a nurse who says that they have to console a baby after circ so that he isn't taken back crying. And that sometimes it takes awhile. I DO remember thinking that it was sure taking them a long time to get Levi's circ done... and sure enough he was very peaceful and sleeping when he came back. A lot of NO-CIRC members are nurses. Some of them had to quit their jobs in L&D unite haunted by wails of poor babies and not willing to be part of genital mutilation. Many of them say that not only they have to calm down babies before bringing them to their parents, but they also FORCED to tell parents that their baby almost didn’t cry or slept right through it (which of course is a lie).
.
Yulia_R is offline  
#448 of 729 Old 07-05-2008, 05:59 PM
 
amandaleigh37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi BrokeMom...

I know it's hard to look back on something like this, thinking we did what we thought was the best - and realizing we were terribly mistaken It was very hard for me to accept the "mistake" I made, but once I faced it and owned up to it I am beginning to turn it into something productive. I learned a lot from the folks here on this board, so please keep reading. I know it's not easy to look past what we've always been told, or taught.. or known as "normal", but once we know the truth we (and our children) are much better off.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
amandaleigh37 is offline  
#449 of 729 Old 07-05-2008, 06:18 PM
 
Fellow Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Formerly JWhispers
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, first I want to again welcome you and I want to point out the fact that this thought has entered your mind is a big step. It take courage to independently rethink this issue when you're surrounded by the dogma that we are in the US. I'll will briefly touch on some of these but for fuller explanations, it would make sense to create a new thread. I also want to emphasize that you shouldn't read judgment or tone in this or other replies you get. I'll admit that many posters here can get passionate but it's only because we care. You've started to question the practice and we want to help you along. With that in mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeMom View Post
Honestly, the only reasons we did were 1: we figured God would not command the Jews to do something that was harmful/nonbeneficial and
I can't speak much to the religious angle for a few reasons not the least of which is we are not really permitted to discuss religion. However, I might ask how many other components do you follow closely? Do you keep Kosher for instance. Leviticus 24:16 says
Quote:
And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the Lord, shall be put to death.
Yet we don't stone people for this act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeMom View Post
2: we always heard it was hard to keep clean if you were uncirc and that UTIs and cancer were more common.
I am not surprised by this. It is a common misconception in the US that intact boys or men have hygiene difficulties. I want you to consider a few things. First, among developed industrialized nations, circumcision is rare outside the US. Second, circumcision only became common in the US around the time of WWII before that, most Americans also weren't circumcised. Third, the levels of personal hygiene and regular bathing we enjoy today were only achieved in the last 100 years or so (actually proabably less than that). Which means for most of human history we got by with far less bathing and circumcision was mostly unheard of.

The problem with using UTIs and cancer to support circumcision is that both occur at very low baselines. UTIs are very easily treatable with ABX and a recurrent UTI in boys is almost always the result of a congenital anomaly of the urinary track, not the foreskin. Cancer is even more rare than a UTI; male breast cancer is far more common. The American Cancer Society does not believe that circumcision is a useful prophylactic for penile cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeMom View Post
3: DH was circ...so they'd match.
Who was this important too? Really? I would wager that most of those posting here have circumcised husbands and intact boys. Hang around and read posts you'll see that the boys simply don't care. I know I didn't. Boys will always be different from their fathers and this is the least often noticed. I'll also point out that there are many posters who in addition to having circumcised husbands, circumcised at least one or more sons. And they report no problems between brothers with regard to that situation either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeMom View Post
Looking back, I think none of those were good reasons. #2 would have been a good reason...if it had been TRUE... I wish we had done more research. I can not believe that myself and others make such a BIG decision without knowing much about it!! I am really ashamed of myself for not researching and for making that decision based on such little and false knowledge.
Ok, so perhaps I gave you too much information having seen that you already know that nothing in #2 is true. Don't beat yourself up too much over this. What is done is done and at this point you are in a position to do better the next time; that is the important thing. It is hard to get the straight facts on this issue most Drs. it seems feel out patients to figure out their opinion and then support the patient rather then giving them a straight answer. If you go in their predisposed to circumcise, it is not likely they'll try and convince you otherwise. It seems even Drs. that are against it will bite their tongue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeMom View Post
At this point in time I think my conclusion is that it was not wrong to do, but just not the Best thing to do! If I could do it over again, I wouldn't circ. I don't think I'll look down upon anyone for circ'ing their sons, but I will from now on strongly encourage them to research and find out EVERYTHING there is to know first, before deciding. And if DH gets on board, we won't circ any more little boys born to us. Even if it means our boys won't "match".
Well, I think you're at the first stage, you've started to question it and that's a big step. I don't always look down on people who circumcise I think most get caught up in the cultural inertia much like you did. There is a need for people to learn somethings; most importantly is that there is no medical need to circumcise. Ignorance keeps this going so I hope you'll share this with others dialog is the best way to end the practice. If you are in a position to make this decision again we can help you convince your husband, don't worry we've been there and done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeMom View Post
P.S. I forgot to mention that we didn't actually have ds1 circ. He was born with hypospadias and he came out of me already looking circumcised! He had to have 2 surgeries to correct the hypospadias issue.

P.S.2 I just read a story from a nurse who says that they have to console a baby after circ so that he isn't taken back crying. And that sometimes it takes awhile. I DO remember thinking that it was sure taking them a long time to get Levi's circ done... and sure enough he was very peaceful and sleeping when he came back.
I can't comment on two but I too have heard of some awful stories. Again, take time to read and learn more, ask any questions you want. We'll do our best to answer them and help you along this road.
Fellow Traveler is offline  
#450 of 729 Old 07-07-2008, 07:58 PM
 
BrokeMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the answers and info! I can recall being given some anti circ pamphlets from my ds1's midwife and I just blew them off 'cause I was sure that circ was the norm. Everyone in our families are circ., so it was kind of like...'why not?' Regardless, I know I still have a lot to learn about all this. I want to make sure I know all my facts so I can start talking to others about circ but I am feeling kind of fired up about it and I want to become an Intactivist!!!

P.S. I'm trying to not beat myself up so much over having ds2 circ. I want to turn those bad feelings into motivation to help others come to the decision not to circ. If I can save other little boys from being circ I know it will help. Anyway this is probably all I will post about this in this thread so that it's not cluttered up since I already told my story of why I regret ds2 being circ.
BrokeMom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off